what channel is game on tomorrow?

i8hibsh

Does anybody know how you get Radio Scotland MW on the Iphone/Ipad? The internet streams for Radio Scotland are FM only. Fancy watching the game with the radio commentary.

I'd like to know this as well, does my head in trying to get 810mw on iPhone!

gerri atrick

Try livetv.RU/en

Will probably be a stream of bbc alba but should be obtainable allover the world ( apart from those nutty censored places)

Franco Fascione

I prefer it in Gaelic, no idea what they're saying so won't get annoyed with their ill informed comments, if they make any.

Yip. Me too.

The Wrinkly Ninja

I am working tonight so will miss the game....are games on Alba available on bbc iplayer afterwards? Seem to remember they were last year but not sure with them being live this year......and can't see the game from last Friday showing.....

HMFC-TILL-I-DIE

I am working tonight so will miss the game....are games on Alba available on bbc iplayer afterwards? Seem to remember they were last year but not sure with them being live this year......and can't see the game from last Friday showing.....

i think they are available on bbc iplayer ..well the STJ hearts game was

I was going to say the games are normally re-broadcast on TV later the same night, but that isn't the case tonight.

I suspect it may be something to do with the fact the game is being shown live rather than recorded.

I've had a look at the i-player listing and it shows the game being live but no mention if it will be repeated on i-player.

The Wrinkly Ninja

i think they are available on bbc iplayer ..well the STJ hearts game was

I was going to say the games are normally re-broadcast on TV later the same night, but that isn't the case tonight.

I suspect it may be something to do with the fact the game is being shown live rather than recorded.

I've had a look at the i-player listing and it shows the game being live but no mention if it will be repeated on i-player.

Cheers

Lot's of Gaelic placenames down here so I guess that's evidence that it was spoken here at one time. Dalry, Gorgie, Balgreen, Ardmillan etc...

But aye, looks like it's live on Alba:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b037zr9q

The language spoken on Alba was never spoken south of the Forth.

'Gorgie' is closer to welsh than the highland Gaelic.

Alba gu Brath

'Gorgie' is closer to welsh than the highland Gaelic.

How do you know this?

And, where do all the placenames come from?

gaelic+in+lothians+text.jpg

"It was during this period, probably from about AD 960 onwards,

that Gaelic came to be current in Lothian: there is some evidence that

it extended beyond the present boundary of Scotland."
Page footnote
:

"Gaelic place-names are found in the north of England."

("The Celtic Placenames of Scotland", WJ Watson, published by Birlinn)

Except at parliament, royal courts and by the population.

I tried this several times last season and it didn't work on iPhone. Unless they've changed something.

Definatley did not work on iphone last season, will try again tonight and see. Unsure why you cant stream 810MW from TuneIn Radio or similar.

How do you know this?

And, where do all the placenames come from?

gaelic+in+lothians+text.jpg

"It was during this period, probably from about AD 960 onwards,

that Gaelic came to be current in Lothian: there is some evidence that

it extended beyond the present boundary of Scotland."
Page footnote
:

"Gaelic place-names are found in the north of England."

("The Celtic Placenames of Scotland", WJ Watson, published by Birlinn)

Interesting.

How far south did it spread and when did the south of Scotland stop speaking it? Must have been way before 1746.

Alba gu Brath

Interesting.

How far south did it spread and when did the south of Scotland stop speaking it? Must have been way before 1746.

There's Gaelic names in the Borders and one or two in the Lake District. The monks from Iona used to take it down there. Gaels came south from Fife and east from Ayrshire, Carrick and Galloway from about 900 to 1000AD. Place-name experts will tell you that the nature of most of the names points to communties living from the land and not just monastic settlements. 'Inglis' was probably still spoken in parts - Brythonnic a bit earlier - and became stronger with Queen Margaret in the court even though her hubby Malcolm Canmore and his court was Gaelic speaking. Last Ayrshire speaker died not long after Rabbie Burns' birth.

Sl?inte mhath.

Archived