Hearts fanzines?

Del1812

Quick question. Are there any still going?

Just curious because I haven't seen them for a while.

Don't think they are.

Pity as they were and still would be a better read (and value) than the programme.

Don't think they are.

Pity as they were and still would be a better read (and value) than the programme.

Very true. Surely the programme is only going because it is made by the club. It's pish. Unless of course there is a match report from yours truly in there, then of course it's Pulitzer material.

Very true. Surely the programme is only going because it is made by the club. It's pish. Unless of course there is a match report from yours truly in there, then of course it's Pulitzer material.

Luckily I get it free now.

Very rarely read the match reports as they are usually in keeping with the rest of the programme.:biggrin:

Luckily I get it free now.

Very rarely read the match reports as they are usually in keeping with the rest of the programme.:biggrin:

:laugh:

Nobody know then? I was partially wondering because I've got a ten minute talk tomorrow for a class and I was going to use the example that alternative media such as No Idle Talk and ATB have been pushed out by fans forums (such as this), which is of course part of the internet, which (and we're going full circle here) is responsible for a whole host of alternative media.

I was going to play a recording of that podcast me and my mates did last year for the other 9 1/2 minutes ;)

Denny Crane

As someone who once did a fanzine many moons ago (the Gorgie View) it does take a lot of effort not only in cobbling an issue together, but other factors come into play too. Namely, negotiating with printers, chasing up outlets for payment (including having to get very heavy with one now-thankfull-defunct retailer in Glasgow) and of course co-ordinating sales on matchdays themselves - easy on paper but more often than not a pain in the arse (wee niggles from the old bill who needed reminding that Scots law allowed you to sell the mags on the street, Wallace Mercer trying to get you banned for demanding in one issue that he should resign, plus if you came out on the same day one or two of the other zines did, there was a chance you'd be taking some copies home with you that night and the odd fascist bigot took umbridge to an article I once put into print condemning sectarian chanting and another for condemning the racial abuse Dale Gordon took on his first visit to Tynie).

The final straw was particular piece of pondlife phoning up my house one night at 4am (my mother answered it) and made a death threat.

There was some pleasure in doing it (heck I even found the feud with No Idle Talk quite entertaining) - also you met some cracking folk who edited not only Hearts zines but other clubs too) but, far too much hassle. Maybe the other fanzines have not had the same troubles and stresses that I did but I'm sure they will have had plenty of their own.

As someone who once did a fanzine many moons ago (the Gorgie View) it does take a lot of effort not only in cobbling an issue together, but other factors come into play too. Namely, negotiating with printers, chasing up outlets for payment (including having to get very heavy with one now-thankfull-defunct retailer in Glasgow) and of course co-ordinating sales on matchdays themselves - easy on paper but more often than not a pain in the arse (wee niggles from the old bill who needed reminding that Scots law allowed you to sell the mags on the street, Wallace Mercer trying to get you banned for demanding in one issue that he should resign, plus if you came out on the same day one or two of the other zines did, there was a chance you'd be taking some copies home with you that night and the odd fascist bigot took umbridge to an article I once put into print condemning sectarian chanting and another for condemning the racial abuse Dale Gordon took on his first visit to Tynie).

The final straw was particular piece of pondlife phoning up my house one night at 4am (my mother answered it) and made a death threat.

There was some pleasure in doing it (heck I even found the feud with No Idle Talk quite entertaining) - also you met some cracking folk who edited not only Hearts zines but other clubs too) but, far too much hassle. Maybe the other fanzines have not had the same troubles and stresses that I did but I'm sure they will have had plenty of their own.

Cheers for the info mate.

One should be brought back next season, purely for the reason that we are far too big a club with far too many problems not to have one. Plus, anything half decent would heavily out sell the match day programme.

I'd do it myself but Ibiza commitments mean I'll not be back in Edinburgh until October. Might start one then if someone hasn't beaten me to it. Will give me something to do while I sit at home unemployed burning my degree to give me some fire to keep me warm.

speedbump

Jam Piece, NIT, ATB were good in their time. Most others weren't not worth the paper they were printed on.

ESP Not The View, very poor IMO.

Craig Young

For any fans of No Idle Talk here's a link to the good old days. Sadly I dont see Hearts much these days. We never decided to quit, but the advance of the internet killed the originality of some of our stuff. It's difficult to put something into print that's not already been said in a forum somewhere.

It kept our supporters club going for years and we rarely missed any games. None of our proceeds went into our pockets. Long live Linlithgow & Dirstrict Hearts

We may return one day

Feud, what feud :P;)

http://www.zinescene.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/mynithomepage.htm

speedbump
For any fans of No Idle Talk here's a link to the good old days. Sadly I dont see Hearts much these days. We never decided to quit, but the advance of the internet killed the originality of some of our stuff. It's difficult to put something into print that's not already been said in a forum somewhere.

It kept our supporters club going for years and we rarely missed any games. None of our proceeds went into our pockets. Long live Linlithgow & Dirstrict Hearts

We may return one day

I recall pester you for many obscure zines, Tricky Trees, When Skies Are Grey and Marching On Together etc ;)

Denny Crane
Jam Piece, NIT, ATB were good in their time. Most others weren't not worth the paper they were printed on.

ESP Not The View, very poor IMO.

Fair enough - I suppose TGV was like Metallica's St Anger album. You loved it or hated it.

We may return one day

Seems like many others are suffering from the web knocking out originality. On my last visit to Geordieland I bought copies of the Mag and A Love Supreme (two of the best in years gone by). They both lacked their old bite as I'd already seen the subjects raised debated to death not only on the web but via radio phone-ins such as 606. Even the last copies of Follow, Follow and the Red Final lacked their old spark.

As for our (ahem) feud, I suppose looking back with myself being a headstrong

still-at-school teenager, I did go a wee bit overboard in my over-enthusiastic defence of TGV. Mind, some of our public exchanges were in hindsight quite comical for our respective readerships!!! ;)

Hope things are well with yourself anyway Craig and good luck if you do revive NIT.

Archived