Aberdeen - Anyone know much about it?

RoyCropper

RoyCropper

Just found out that next month im going to be working in Aberdeen for 5 months.

Anyone know much about the place? Only ever been there for football so been in and out really. Wheres places to go/avoid? Nightlife?

Work has got me a flat in Holburn Street which as far as i can see from maps etc is 2 mins walk from city centre, anyone confirm this?

General theme so far about people from Aberdeen seems to be it takes a fair while to make them smile but once you have they are brand new.

Going to be working in Aberdeen during the week then back down the road at weekends and also the money is great so cant say no really!

Any help greatly appreicated.;)

The Merse

Ex bird was from Aberdeen so spent a fair bit of time up there.

Holburn Street is just off the city centre, its a long street though so depends what end your at how close to the centre you are.

Nightlife is decent enough, plenty places to go, its not a bad city to be fair although it'll be a while till I set foot up there again.

:P

PeterCapital

Yeah you will be close to the city centre.

Live up in Aberdeen.

Lots of places to go on a night out, if you like them young, Friday night @ Priory is a shout;)

RoyCropper

Nice, like what im reading so far.

My flat is Skene Apartments if you know where that is?:confused:

Dunno what it's like to live there but a friend of mine went to Uni there so always made a weekend of it when the JT's were playing there. It's excellent for a night out, plenty of great bars and clubs, and all without the underlying threat of a stabbing, unlike a certain other city I could mention.

Don't know if you've got a bird, but if not then the normal courtship ritual in Aberdeen consists of going up to her dad's croft to ask for his permission to take her out for a drive in your tractor first. You will be examined thoroughly to ensure that you are an independent man of means who owns at least one flock of sheep and three bullocks, preferrably more. Following on from that, you just have to play things by ear, but brides are usually judged by their capacity for carrying livestock around without complaining.

If you want her dad's permission to make your move, make sure and don't tell him anything controversial - for instance, don't mention it if you like the Beatles or Elvis Presley. This is commonly seen in Aberdeen as the devil's music, and will at the very least see you become a social outcast. It's more likely that your house will be stormed by an angry mob with torches and pitchforks.

I believe that the most fashionable item of clothing in Aberdeen at the moment is a check shirt, straight from London. It's what all the young go getters are wearing.

I P Knightley

Did 4 years of Uni at Aberdeen quite some time ago (!) when the place was revelling in the growth of the oil industry.

There were 3 main groups of inhabitants: the students (Aberdeen Uni & RGU) who were, studenty; the oilies who were 2 weeks on/2 weeks off and, in vast numbers, spent their first weekend back onshore getting horrendously drunk & spewing all over the city before heading off to their families, not forgetting to get a slab of McEwans for the train journey home; and the native Aberdonians from the traditional industries (fishing etc.) who seemed resentful of the other two groups and not particularly welcoming or hospitable.

Plenty of places to go out and get wellied, though.

I've only visited twice since and the place seemed to have modernised itself a bit. Since I was on business, though, I never got the chance to hang out and find out whether the new industry people and the oldies had integrated.

When the sun's out, though, it's a beautiful place. That happens a couple of times a year - usually on a Thursday ;)

chester copperpot
Don't know if you've got a bird, but if not then the normal courtship ritual in Aberdeen consists of going up to her dad's croft to ask for his permission to take her out for a drive in your tractor first. You will be examined thoroughly to ensure that you are an independent man of means who owns at least one flock of sheep and three bullocks, preferrably more. Following on from that, you just have to play things by ear, but brides are usually judged by their capacity for carrying livestock around without complaining.

If you want her dad's permission to make your move, make sure and don't tell him anything controversial - for instance, don't mention it if you like the Beatles or Elvis Presley. This is commonly seen in Aberdeen as the devil's music, and will at the very least see you become a social outcast. It's more likely that your house will be stormed by an angry mob with torches and pitchforks.

I believe that the most fashionable item of clothing in Aberdeen at the moment is a check shirt, straight from London. It's what all the young go getters are wearing.

Made me chuckle that did. :laugh:

70's Throwback

Holburn Street is a good, central location and a cracking night out in Aberdeen.

deesidejambo

Skene Apts are very close to Union St so no problem. It gets a bit wild late in the evenings though - lots of drunk farmer and fisher boys. The students inhabit the other end of Union St to the end you are at.

Decent kebab shop on Rose St near where you are.

Good pub on Holburn St that does live Blues music. Cant remember the name.

Best Curry is the Nazma on Bridge St. About 15 minutes from Skene along Union St.

Nice beach at Balmedie about 45 minutes North. Huge dunes.

RoyCropper

Thanks guys

Looks like im in for a good few months with this lot!

IronJambo

spent 6 years there and loved it. a good number of jambo's meet for matches in the adam lounge at the top of holburn street.

i'm sure you'll have fun

PeterCapital

Very much like that p*sh brand you have been spotted wearing a few times, whats it called.....Burberry?

Very much like that p*sh brand you have been spotted wearing a few times, whats it called.....Burberry?

Who are you? I don't wear Burberry and haven't for a good few years now. Jog on.

PeterCapital
Who are you? I don't wear Burberry and haven't for a good few years now. Jog on.

:)

Very football factory. Just like the jacket.

PeterCapital
Feel free to give me your style tips. The floor is yours.

I found it ironic you were speaking ill of the Aberdeen fashion when your stereotype was not to dissimilar to how you dress.

:eek:

I found it ironic you were speaking ill of the Aberdeen fashion when your stereotype was not to dissimilar to how you dress.

:eek:

I'm still waiting for style tips.

As I said, I haven't worn Burberry in years now, so you're a bit behind the times. Are you from Aberdeen?

PeterCapital
I'm still waiting for style tips.

As I said, I haven't worn Burberry in years now, so you're a bit behind the times. Are you from Aberdeen?

No im not.

I dont think style would help you mate, you'll still be the same under those clothes.

:kiss2:

No im not.

I dont think style would help you mate, you'll still be the same under those clothes.

Are you trying to seduce me? x

chester copperpot
Is it working?:P

Aberdeen = Sheepshaggers

Glasgow = Skagheads

Edinburgh = Stuck up w@nkers

Dundee = Suicide.

Can we not just get all the cliche's out and not argue. The only thing I love about the Hearts fans is their tollerance of fellow supporters.

I'm away to Jack up. :laugh:

PeterCapital
Well, I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't slightly aroused.

Would you wear your jacket for me?

PeterCapital

Not for too long, I hope. <3

Quite. But a short session with it on would suffice.:kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

chester copperpot
What just happened to this thread?

Peter Capital got arsey because his horrible life is based up in Shhhnerberdeen. ;)

Smart Arse Makween (Kidding Pal) did a usual KB abusive post, then it all kicked off.

yvonnejambo

I stayed in Aberdeen for uni few years back and loved it (and still miss it). Go down as much as I can, great night life just a stagger along Belmont Street and some good clubs dotted about all just off Union Street. Holburn Street was where we used to meet the Aberdeen Hearts supporters - cant mind name of pub but near top of Holburn St. You will enjoy Aberdeen its just a compact city with everything you need in easy reach.

:)

Ray Winstone
Just found out that next month im going to be working in Aberdeen for 5 months.

Anyone know much about the place? Only ever been there for football so been in and out really. Wheres places to go/avoid? Nightlife?

Work has got me a flat in Holburn Street which as far as i can see from maps etc is 2 mins walk from city centre, anyone confirm this?

General theme so far about people from Aberdeen seems to be it takes a fair while to make them smile but once you have they are brand new.

Going to be working in Aberdeen during the week then back down the road at weekends and also the money is great so cant say no really!

Any help greatly appreicated.;)

Holburn street is in one of the nicest parts of the city. Just off Union Street (the equivilent of Princess Street) so its very central, near where I live infact.

Nightlife wise - depends what your looking for.

Belmont Street is where a lot of the bars are, but a lot of them are very studenty.

The main nightclubs are Liquid and Tiger Tiger, although if you want to avoid students then avoid Liquid Wednesdays and Fridays and Tiger Tiger Monday and Saturday!

Great wee city - just like a mini Edinburgh to be honest.

You will love it.

Legend Claws

Skene Apartments are very nice! I got put up there whilst on a short work trip a few years back. From what I know of Aberdeen I like it. My wee sister is up there studying and has always seemed to have enjoyed it.

Ray Winstone
Skene Apartments are very nice! I got put up there whilst on a short work trip a few years back. From what I know of Aberdeen I like it. My wee sister is up there studying and has always seemed to have enjoyed it.

Any pictures of you sister? ;)

Denny Crane

Was at Aberdeen Uni between 95-99 and liked the place. I'll second the comment on Belmont Street - had many a good night out there. Plus there was the godsend that was One-Up record shop.

You'll be fine up there mate - it aint Dundee for starters!

Ray Winstone
Was at Aberdeen Uni between 95-99 and liked the place. I'll second the comment on Belmont Street - had many a good night out there. Plus there was the godsend that was One-Up record shop.

You'll be fine up there mate - it aint Dundee for starters!

One up Record shop still there.

Absolute goldmine!

christhejambo

You're in for a decent few months mate. I'm about to graduate from Abdn Uni, and am living at the opposite end to Hoburn Street that you will be at. Nightlife is good- especially the fact that you can have a night out without getting a taxi- all the bars/clubs are either on or aorund Belnmont Street or Union Street, so your never more than a short stagger away from the next watering hole. The timing of your placement sounds perfect too- your gonna miss the crappy winter weather, and we've had a few cracking days up here recently.

Cheaper than Edinburgh for bevvy/taxis etc too!

Ray Winstone
You're in for a decent few months mate. I'm about to graduate from Abdn Uni, and am living at the opposite end to Hoburn Street that you will be at. Nightlife is good- especially the fact that you can have a night out without getting a taxi- all the bars/clubs are either on or aorund Belnmont Street or Union Street, so your never more than a short stagger away from the next watering hole. The timing of your placement sounds perfect too- your gonna miss the crappy winter weather, and we've had a few cracking days up here recently.

Cheaper than Edinburgh for bevvy/taxis etc too!

You must live near the Nargile resteraunt then!

christhejambo
You must live near the Nargile resteraunt then!

Nah, in actual fact its closer to Bridge of Dee- down by the big Asda- not strictly the end of holburn st, but close enough

Ray Winstone
Nah, in actual fact its closer to Bridge of Dee- down by the big Asda- not strictly the end of holburn st, but close enough

Thats where we do our weekly shop. I live basically across the road from Nargile. Our garden backs on to the football pitches that grammar use.

Stuart Lyon

I worked in Aberdeen in the 70s and stayed at the Holburn Guest House which I see from when I was there in February is still a going concern. The landlady was brilliant and her full Scottish breakfast was wonderful. If we couldn't get into the Holburn we stayed in the now gone Dee Motel. No wonder they demolished it. Aberdeen i great when the sun is shining but when its not its a dreich place.

lyonjambo

i have lived in aberdeen for bout 5 years for uni, it is pretty cool! nightlife is great. AVOID jumpin jacks....is at holburn st end of union st and it is stinking!!! Most clubs are really cheesy in Aberdeen (liquid, priory etc) but it is alwaysa good laugh!

I am moving back to Edin in 3 weeks and getting worried bout joining the real world :confused:

I am going to college in Aberdeen on the 2nd June for 3 weeks.

A change of scenery me thinks (or not) :laugh:

BoJack Horseman

Been here for 2 years for uni now. It's pretty fab for being a student. No idea how it would be otherwise.

Where's this adam lounge? I struggle to find a pub for the games here. Not a whiff of a jambo.

just finishing my second year of uni up here.

Its a good place to live. Not as nice as edinburgh but better than the rest of scotland from what I have seen :)

RockyBalboa

Not a bad place at all.

Easy to get round, plenty of lovely ladies and clubs and pubs to go to.

Happy days indeed.

P.S I have only ever been over a weekend so it might be brutal except then.

Not a bad place at all.

Easy to get round, plenty of lovely ladies and clubs and pubs to go to.

Happy days indeed.

P.S I have only ever been over a weekend so it might be brutal except then.

only if you dislike students ;)

RoyCropper

Brilliant guys thanks very much.

Everything i need to know here, see some of you lot in Adam Lounge which is a 3 minute walk from my flat :P

slashishere
Been here for 2 years for uni now. It's pretty fab for being a student. No idea how it would be otherwise.

Where's this adam lounge? I struggle to find a pub for the games here. Not a whiff of a jambo.

Adams Lounge is on Holburn Road just opposite Blockbusters, fairly nice wee bar.

slashishere

I think Aberdeen is a close as you'll get to edinburgh in Scotland as a placeto live. Think you'll have a great time, some cracking bars here and there and Pirate island golf is the dugs baws of adventure golf in scotland!

Archived