What a ridiculously shixxxy home support.

Rudolf

Why's that? They lived within the budget the "derisory support" afforded them, we didn't.

Lets just wipe out every club from Morton down, eh?

It's a poor support, but at least they don't jump on buses to Glasgow like the other fans from Perth every week.

Tin hat (unnecessarily) on.

Why's that? They lived within the budget the "derisory support" afforded them, we didn't.

It's a poor support, but at least they don't jump on buses to Glasgow like the other fans from Perth every week.

hearts have fans from perth too don't forget,hence couldn't sing were from the capital your from a yesterday.

Guest oldcastlerock2012

This is what I don't get. Average home gates were published (on the BBC site, I think) at the end of last season. There are teams that have about a third (or less) of what we have. Teams are managing to punch well above their weight, for some reason.

In the odd season or two maybe but how about over a sustained period - eg the last 10, 20 or 30 years?

Dagger Is Back

If I'm being honest, I was disappointed with the size of our support today, but I certainly wasn't embarrassed by it. The guys and girls who come along every week give the team great backing and have as much right to support an SPL team as any Old Firm, Hearts, Hibs or Aberdeen fan. To be fair, we do get less stick from you guys about it than most clubs. To the guy who said he couldn't support a team like that - that's okay mate, we wouldn't want you anyway. There's no league points awarded for size of crowd.

As for the Hearts support - tremendous. The way you guys backed your team right to the end as great. Had a banter with a couple of lads in the 208, great guys and real football fans.

some saints fans have openly admitted that they can't afford 2 home games in a week. I don't think people should be criticised for that and they certainly shouldn't be ashamed of that - it's an expensive hobby sometimes.

You're right it is an expensive hobby but I really did think that the fans would have put on a better show. Doing the country proud in Europe,first SPFL game of the season, and that's it? Pretty poor show.

That having been said, I admire clubs who can run themselves successfully off the park and St J seem to have the model pretty much down to a tee. I don't know how you do it - look at your strikeforce - May, MacLean, Hasselbank and Fallon. We'd bite your hand off for any one of them at the mo. How the hell can Saints afford them or is it just the case that HMFC have been negligently generous re players salaries?

I admire those that follow ST J. Would be easy to follow the hordes through to the West but fair play to those who have stuck by their club as we're doing with ours.

newyearsday97

What's St Johnstone's problem with Dundee btw?

Are they more rivals with them than Utd?

On the last day of the season 1961/62, Dundee came to Muirton needing a point to win the League. Saints needed a point to avoid relegation. Dundee could have done the neighbourly thing, but instead they gubbed us 3-0. So we've hated them ever since. Not that we bear grudges or anything................. :tiny:

Yeah, I saw a saints fan with a St Johnstone 7 Dundee 2 T-shirt whenever that was.

It was on New Year's Day 1997 (my username is a wee clue). We were strolling to the First Division title. The game was 1-1 at half-time and I remember thinking we were a wee bit lucky to get off not behind. The second half we just annihilated them :2thumbsup:

On the last day of the season 1961/62, Dundee came to Muirton needing a point to win the League. Saints needed a point to avoid relegation. Dundee could have done the neighbourly thing, but instead they gubbed us 3-0. So we've hated them ever since. Not that we bear grudges or anything................. :tiny:

It was on New Year's Day 1997 (my username is a wee clue). We were strolling to the First Division title. The game was 1-1 at half-time and I remember thinking we were a wee bit lucky to get off not behind. The second half we just annihilated them :2thumbsup:

I ******* despise Dundee.

Just thought I'd add that in.

Sneaky, slimy ****s.

newyearsday97

There was no more than about ten youths and a drummer who attempted to make a noise amongst your support.

Fair play to the Saints fans who did turn up though.

I wasn't meaning vocal support. I meant the hard core of fans are very loyal in their attendance both home and away. Considering our low home crowds, we have proportionately very high away crowds. A trip to tynecastle usually sees close to 1000 Saints fans. I'm not saying we always have 1000 away fans (Tannadice, Dens Park and Tynecastle always appeal more to Saints fans than other grounds). But our away support tends to be reasonably healthy.

I've never minded St Johnstone. I think the first game I went to with a big crowd was the New Year game before we were promoted. Pettigrew scored the only goal. I remember feeling a bit annoyed when my Dad pointed out that it wasn't actually a big crowd at all. It was if you were 11 or 12.

gerri atrick

I couldn't support a team like that.

Would you rather jump on the glory hunting band wagon? If i lived in Perth then I would rather support them than catch a bus to Glasgow every other week as most of the football supporting population does.

Francis Albert

Perth's population is 50,000, 10% of Edinburgh's. Even allowing Hibs (generously) 50% of Edinburgh to draw on, 2500 is equivalent to 12500 Hearts fans at Tynecastle. In terms of numbers, Hibs and Hearts have the shittiest home supports in Scotland.

I know a couple of St Johnstone fans and they are really decent guys, they love their football and love the Saints, follow them home and away. Seriously, if Hearts were to disappear completely I reckon I'd take my boy up there to watch a few games.

If I'm being honest, I was disappointed with the size of our support today, but I certainly wasn't embarrassed by it. The guys and girls who come along every week give the team great backing and have as much right to support an SPL team as any Old Firm, Hearts, Hibs or Aberdeen fan. To be fair, we do get less stick from you guys about it than most clubs. To the guy who said he couldn't support a team like that - that's okay mate, we wouldn't want you anyway. There's no league points awarded for size of crowd.

As for the Hearts support - tremendous. The way you guys backed your team right to the end as great. Had a banter with a couple of lads in the 208, great guys and real football fans.

some saints fans have openly admitted that they can't afford 2 home games in a week. I don't think people should be criticised for that and they certainly shouldn't be ashamed of that - it's an expensive hobby sometimes.

You support a really good club, mate. All the folks I dealt with getting tickets, and the St Johnstone fans I saw on Sunday were great. Arrogance was in short supply, and Saint Johnstone supporters who were at the game were there because they love the club. Your club seems to work. Credit.

heartsfc_fan

Perth's population is 50,000, 10% of Edinburgh's. Even allowing Hibs (generously) 50% of Edinburgh to draw on, 2500 is equivalent to 12500 Hearts fans at Tynecastle. In terms of numbers, Hibs and Hearts have the shittiest home supports in Scotland.

It is, but then around 20% of Edinburgh's population is English. Edinburgh is also a 'rugby city' aswell.

The closer proximity to Glasgow doesn't help either.

Nelly Terraces

Pity more folk don't have local pride and go to support the team in their city/town. Lowering prices can be the only answer to encourage fans back - 22 quid to get in on Sunday, an absolute joke as the standard of football is terrible, but games can be, or at least feel, a bit more exciting if there's a better crowd in and more atmos.

Preffered the days of going to Muirton when St J's had a very large and very nasty group of skinheads who were out for a dust up, which of course the Hearts support of the day were only too happy to oblige them with.

its kack like St J,Hubs, Killie and the midden who should be destitute with thier derisory support

Killie are just about destitute, hadn't you heard.

The other 3 got lucky finding someone else to build their stadium for them

All roads lead to Gorgie

It is, but then around 20% of Edinburgh's population is English. Edinburgh is also a 'rugby city' aswell.

The closer proximity to Glasgow doesn't help either.

Edinburgh is just not a sporting city at all. The crowds at Edinburgh rugby are mostly pathetic, even less than hibs, we no longer get any big athletic meets as Meadowbank is crumbling. Hearts are the biggest draw in the capital but more of city should turn out and support us.

Maroon 1874

Not looking for an arguement here but I think your missing my point .... the teams I mentioned are expecting a bonus from Hearts fans this year (and TBH most years) due to our positon which is obvious from media reports over the summer of how much backing we intend to give home and away this particular season, my dig was if it was'nt for Hearts & celtic fans (poss a wee bit of Dons fans) they probably would'nt survive very long, Hibs apart (I originaly threw them in coz I despise them but heyho) St J fans should be out supporting thier team and not relying on other teams fans for money as someone has already pointed out they had 8000 for thier european game last week where were they? and anyway whats with the St J love in on this thread....**** them I only care about Hearts and every other team can do one...... FTH

newyearsday97

Not looking for an arguement here but I think your missing my point .... the teams I mentioned are expecting a bonus from Hearts fans this year (and TBH most years) due to our positon which is obvious from media reports over the summer of how much backing we intend to give home and away this particular season, my dig was if it was'nt for Hearts & celtic fans (poss a wee bit of Dons fans) they probably would'nt survive very long, Hibs apart (I originaly threw them in coz I despise them but heyho) St J fans should be out supporting thier team and not relying on other teams fans for money as someone has already pointed out they had 8000 for thier european game last week where were they? and anyway whats with the St J love in on this thread....**** them I only care about Hearts and every other team can do one...... FTH

Sorry, but what makes you think Saints are relying on other clubs' fans to survive? We survived in the First Division for seven years without money from any of the clubs you mentioned. You clearly have no knowledge of how St Johnstone is run as a club. I don't see a "St J love-in" on this thread. I do see some level-headed acknowledgement of Saints being a well run club.

Dagger Is Back

I don't think it's a love in mate. We slag people on this board who follow the Uglies from all parts of Scotland so it's only right that we acknowledge people who aren't glory hunters and who follow their local team through thick and thin. I also think that somehow they manage to run a very tight ship financially. I don't know HOW they do it given their attendances, but I think we could learn a lot from them.

Maroon 1874

Sorry, but what makes you think Saints are relying on other clubs' fans to survive? We survived in the First Division for seven years without money from any of the clubs you mentioned. You clearly have no knowledge of how St Johnstone is run as a club. I don't see a "St J love-in" on this thread. I do see some level-headed acknowledgement of Saints being a well run club.

you are right I have no knowledge of your club but can you answar why in exess of 4500 St J fans failed to turn up for thier 1st game of the season after a great eurpoean start (a home game to boot) and a local newspaper headlineing a bumper crowd expected for the game (on a billboard outside McColls at the bus station) 2500 St J fans at that game was shocking there is no other excuse for it, better hope we stay up dont you think!

Maroon 1874

I don't think it's a love in mate. We slag people on this board who follow the Uglies from all parts of Scotland so it's only right that we acknowledge people who aren't glory hunters and who follow their local team through thick and thin. I also think that somehow they manage to run a very tight ship financially. I don't know HOW they do it given their attendances, but I think we could learn a lot from them.

TBH mate I agree with you but it makes you wonder about the why the St J crowd was so low (I dont think following the uglies have anything to do with it, just look at thier crowd last week)

newyearsday97

you are right I have no knowledge of your club but can you answar why in exess of 4500 St J fans failed to turn up for thier 1st game of the season after a great eurpoean start (a home game to boot) and a local newspaper headlineing a bumper crowd expected for the game (on a billboard outside McColls at the bus station) 2500 St J fans at that game was shocking there is no other excuse for it, better hope we stay up dont you think!

No I can't answer that and I've never tried to offer excuses for our low support. Why should I? As I've said on here before, if I was the only Saints fan in the world, I'd still be there every week supporting my team. I see no reason why I or any other St Johnstone fan (or fan of any club) should be belittled for following my club.

As for your second point, yes I do hope Hearts stay up. But purely for football reasons and because I have a wee bit of a soft spot for Hearts. But don't kid yourself that Hearts fans attending McDiarmid Park is what is keeping Saints alive. Sundays Hearts crowd was excellent, but it wasn't the normal Hearts attendance at McD.

tolcross lad

Dont often agree with you but you are spot on .Even with rough estimates of population sizes.If we get 10000 then they should get 2000.(allowing for 2 teams in Edinburgh)St Johnstone are doing okay and at this point in time much better than Hearts relative to the size of their support.We cannot afford to be arrogant nor do we have the justification.

Dagger Is Back

TBH mate I agree with you but it makes you wonder about the why the St J crowd was so low (I dont think following the uglies have anything to do with it, just look at thier crowd last week)

It does make you wonder I agree. Money is tight for all of us though.

Dagger Is Back

No I can't answer that and I've never tried to offer excuses for our low support. Why should I? As I've said on here before, if I was the only Saints fan in the world, I'd still be there every week supporting my team. I see no reason why I or any other St Johnstone fan (or fan of any club) should be belittled for following my club.

As for your second point, yes I do hope Hearts stay up. But purely for football reasons and because I have a wee bit of a soft spot for Hearts. But don't kid yourself that Hearts fans attending McDiarmid Park is what is keeping Saints alive. Sundays Hearts crowd was excellent, but it wasn't the normal Hearts attendance at McD.

So, how DO St J manage to perform so well off the field?

newyearsday97

Less than half of Saints income is gate receipts. There's the conference facilities, restaurant, bars, function rooms, astro turf, car boot sale, lotto. There have been land deals in the past. Good compensation for the last 3 managers. I don't have figures, I just know that Geoff Brown's foresight 20-plus years ago is still paying dividends for the club today.

Edinburgh is just not a sporting city at all. The crowds at Edinburgh rugby are mostly pathetic, even less than hibs, we no longer get any big athletic meets as Meadowbank is crumbling. Hearts are the biggest draw in the capital but more of city should turn out and support us.

Interesting point. Another example of lack of support is we lost major athletics evenings which we did have in 80s because of lack of numbers attending (though our facilities might have lead to that eventually).

Are there more other options in Edinburgh? Imo loss of crowds is due to other attractions, options incl more, better quality footie on telly even before prices etc.

Difference with a lot of other teams is along with Aberdeen and possibly H1b5 (0-7) is we get a big increase in attendance home and away when we do well ( eg 5,000 to Tannadice in 05/06). Don't see that for Motherwell; St Johnstone, yes away but not their home crowds.

Wish other teams outwith Old Firm well as strong competition is needed for sponsors etc.

Maroon 1874

Less than half of Saints income is gate receipts. There's the conference facilities, restaurant, bars, function rooms, astro turf, car boot sale, lotto. There have been land deals in the past. Good compensation for the last 3 managers. I don't have figures, I just know that Geoff Brown's foresight 20-plus years ago is still paying dividends for the club today.

TBH I do think you are doing ok but I did'nt say Hearts alone were keeping saints alive and as for Hearts not regularily takeing a large crowd to McD park then maybe you dont go to as many games as you make out as its almost 2k (doubling the crowd) every time we are there, can you say the same when your fans come to Tynie? so as I have said before its Hearts, Celtic and maybe a wee bit of the Dons that bring alot of money to St J, Killie and St Midden, this is not only about St J lets not forget the other 2 doing the same

newyearsday97

TBH I do think you are doing ok but I did'nt say Hearts alone were keeping saints alive and as for Hearts not regularily takeing a large crowd to McD park then maybe you dont go to as many games as you make out as its almost 2k (doubling the crowd) every time we are there, can you say the same when your fans come to Tynie? so as I have said before its Hearts, Celtic and maybe a wee bit of the Dons that bring alot of money to St J, Killie and St Midden, this is not only about St J lets not forget the other 2 doing the same

I said Sunday's Hearts crowd was excellent, but wasn't the usual Hearts crowd at McD. Sundays Hearts crowd was 3335. You claim the usual Hearts crowd is "almost 2k". Therefore Sundays Hearts crowd was around 70 per cent up on the usual Hearts crowd at McD. Which rather proves my point I think.

As for Saints fans at Tynie, obviously we don't bring as many as Hearts. It's usually between 800 and 1000. Which as a proportion of our home support is excellent, in my opinion. Certainly a bigger proportion than Hearts bringing almost 2k to Perth.

Aberdeen contributing to Saints? That just made me laugh - the aberdeen support at Perth over the last few seasons has been bloody pitiful to say the least.

And If you're comparing Killie's financial situation to Saints then you have clearly done no research before posting.

Finally, please don't try to make out that you would have any idea how many Saints games I attend. I wouldn't try to guess how many games someone I don't know goes to, nor judge people based on how many games they attend. I attend most Saints games and have done for many years.

Apart from the above points, I fully agree with your post though.

Well said mate.

Maroon 1874

I said Sunday's Hearts crowd was excellent, but wasn't the usual Hearts crowd at McD. Sundays Hearts crowd was 3335. You claim the usual Hearts crowd is "almost 2k". Therefore Sundays Hearts crowd was around 70 per cent up on the usual Hearts crowd at McD. Which rather proves my point I think.

As for Saints fans at Tynie, obviously we don't bring as many as Hearts. It's usually between 800 and 1000. Which as a proportion of our home support is excellent, in my opinion. Certainly a bigger proportion than Hearts bringing almost 2k to Perth.

Aberdeen contributing to Saints? That just made me laugh - the aberdeen support at Perth over the last few seasons has been bloody pitiful to say the least.

And If you're comparing Killie's financial situation to Saints then you have clearly done no research before posting.

Finally, please don't try to make out that you would have any idea how many Saints games I attend. I wouldn't try to guess how many games someone I don't know goes to, nor judge people based on how many games they attend. I attend most Saints games and have done for many years.

Apart from the above points, I fully agree with your post though.

Nearly pished my self laughing at the 1st highlight, Hearts are in admin if it had escaped your attention so we ARE going to bring bigger crowds as I said in my OP and if nearly 2k away fans doubles your home crowd then in my book thats shocking as I have said in anouther post incase you missed it

2nd highlght... dont make me laugh....... 800 to 1000 deary me 3/500 tops

3rd highlight.... I was talking generaly, remember its not all about St J there is Kille and St Midden to....... as I have said in my OP and the last one

so lets get this right, are you saying that St J, Kille and St Midden will be alright financialy IF Hearts were to be religated? I say poss for 1 season but all three would cease trading very quicly after that unless the Huns pop back up to save all three or if more of your fans didnt suffer from apathy

Nearly pished my self laughing at the 1st highlight, Hearts are in admin if it had escaped your attention so we ARE going to bring bigger crowds as I said in my OP and if nearly 2k away fans doubles your home crowd then in my book thats shocking as I have said in anouther post incase you missed it

3rd highlight.... I was talking generaly, remember its not all about St J there is Kille and St Midden to....... as I have said in my OP and the last one

so lets get this right, are you saying that St J, Kille and St Midden will be alright financialy IF Hearts were to be religated? I say poss for 1 season but all three would cease trading very quicly after that unless the Huns pop back up to save all three or if more of your fans didnt suffer from apathy

Why have a pop at a visiting St Johnstone fan who has been nothing but straight up and respectful?

Obviously we carry a much larger fan base but we could and should learn a lot from St Johnstone

Maroon 1874

Why have a pop at a visiting St Johnstone fan who has been nothing but straight up and respectful?

Obviously we carry a much larger fan base but we could and should learn a lot from St Johnstone

not having a pop and he has been respectfull Im having a debate with him as to a support who turns up in numbers (8000) a week or so ago and such a poor support against us knowing we will be bringing numbers to swell THIER coffers and keep THEM going, Im more interested in keeping Hearts going, whats the bet they'll suddenlly all appear again against Minsk

newyearsday97

I can't speak for Kilmarnock or St Mirren, but yes I am saying that if Hearts are relegated St Johnstone would be okay financially. We survived fine for seven years in the First division without you and Sevco. To even suggest we would cease trading if Hearts are relegated is ridiculous to say the least. You are throwing out figures without doing any research whatsoever. You have absolutely no knowledge of St Johnstone's finances or income streams, so how can you say we would cease trading? As for "pishing yourself laughing" at my first point, why? Sunday's Hearts away crowd was miles above what you would normally bring - that is a fact. If it makes you feel better to poke fun at the size of Saints support then fine, whatever floats your boat. But if the guys who run my club had been running Hearts, then your club would be a far healthier club than it is today.

Maroon 1874

You know what, I have not poked fun at your club at any time, I have had a dig at your stay away fans and thier apathy knowing other teams will bring finances in to your club, I work in Perth 3 days a week and know that your top earner(s) are on roughly ?600 a week (several St J fans have told me this so who am I to disbelieve them) so I commend st Johnson for thier low wage structure and wish it was the same for Hearts (poss is now) BUT you are not in the 1st Div now and TBH when you were in the !st for 7 years your wage structure must have been way way lower than it is now so its possible that how you survived and anyway thats in the past Im talking about the here and now

newyearsday97

Our top earners are on ?600 a week? You know this based on what a couple of fans who have nothing to do with the club told you? You don't know anything about St Johnstone's finances/income streams/wage structure. And you're making that more obvious with every post. Obviously in the First Division our wage structure would be smaller - that is called living within your means. If saints were to be relegated, which will happen again one day, we will still survive. And you're not talking about the here and now - you're talking about some hypothetical time in the future, when Saints (along with Killie and St Mirren) are going to "cease trading" purely because Hearts have been relegated and we won't survive without your away support.

someone has embarrassed themself quite badly in this thread.

Certainly no the St. Johnstone guest either :lol:

Rocco_Jambo

You know what, I have not poked fun at your club at any time, I have had a dig at your stay away fans and thier apathy knowing other teams will bring finances in to your club, I work in Perth 3 days a week and know that your top earner(s) are on roughly ?600 a week (several St J fans have told me this so who am I to disbelieve them) so I commend st Johnson for thier low wage structure and wish it was the same for Hearts (poss is now) BUT you are not in the 1st Div now and TBH when you were in the !st for 7 years your wage structure must have been way way lower than it is now so its possible that how you survived and anyway thats in the past Im talking about the here and now

You sound like a Hearts equivalent of Jim Traynor.

Attendance arguments are ******* boring.

St. Johnstone are a wee club who do not too shabbily. Fair play to them and their fans. There's nothing derisory about supporting your local team.

Unless its hibs. hibs are shite.

That doesn't tally with the reported wage bill of 67% of a ?4,000,000 annual turnover

i.e. ?2,600,000 a year or ?50,000 a week.

Unless Saint Johnstone have triple digit squad numbers.

newyearsday97

That doesn't tally with the reported wage bill of 67% of a ?4,000,000 annual turnover

i.e. ?2,600,000 a year or ?50,000 a week.

Unless Saint Johnstone have triple digit squad numbers.

The ballboys are on 5 grand a game.

Re turnout given for Sunday, I would say that the Hearts fans in the family stand were counted as 'Home Support' , no way did they have approx 2800.

The ballboys are on 5 grand a game.

Five grand and a grope off the jailbait? I'll be a ballboy.

Private Womble

Yawn. In the grand scheme of things, who gives a **** about attendances?

Five grand and a grope off the jailbait? I'll be a ballboy.

I'm hoping you and I have a different definition of "jailbait" :lol:

I'm hoping you and I have a different definition of "jailbait" :lol:

Bursds that would get you the jail if you pumped? Yon ballboy in front of the North stand was getting all the action last Sunday.

Fozzyonthefence

not having a pop and he has been respectfull Im having a debate with him as to a support who turns up in numbers (8000) a week or so ago and such a poor support against us knowing we will be bringing numbers to swell THIER coffers and keep THEM going, Im more interested in keeping Hearts going, whats the bet they'll suddenlly all appear again against Minsk

You sound like an arrogant OF fan - do you seriously believe clubs will go bust if Hearts get relegated? Really? We need St Johnstone fans' money more than they need ours - I thought that was obvious. And as has already been pointed out - the Hearts support is actually worse than St Johnstone's. The comparison was made between the population of Perth and half the Edinburgh population but it's even worse when you consider that a lots of Hearts fans don't even live in Edinburgh (Fife, East Lothian, etc), meaning we draw on an even smaller % of the population in Edinburgh. And as for stay away fans, how about considering 19/512 to our normal home games?

You sound like an arrogant OF fan - do you seriously believe clubs will go bust if Hearts get relegated? Really? We need St Johnstone fans' money more than they need ours - I thought that was obvious. And as has already been pointed out - the Hearts support is actually worse than St Johnstone's. The comparison was made between the population of Perth and half the Edinburgh population but it's even worse when you consider that a lots of Hearts fans don't even live in Edinburgh (Fife, East Lothian, etc), meaning we draw on an even smaller % of the population in Edinburgh. And as for stay away fans, how about considering 19/512 to our normal home games?

That's as comprehensive an ending to an argument as I've seen. There really are some pathetic arguments on this topic - we should be celebrating clubs like St. Johnstone as a great example of a Scottish club succeeding above its remit, rather than trying to belittle it.

newyearsday97

Apologies guys. I wasn't really getting into the attendance argument, more Maroon 1874's assertion that my club only survives on the back of other clubs' away supports. I would say that I've enjoyed my time on this forum - lot of fair-minded fans on here.

Doctor FinnBarr

Apologies guys. I wasn't really getting into the attendance argument, more Maroon 1874's assertion that my club only survives on the back of other clubs' away supports. I would say that I've enjoyed my time on this forum - lot of fair-minded fans on here.

Hope you continue to come on mate like Killiemitch, always good to have some sort of opposing arguement.

Archived