What a ridiculously shixxxy home support.

Rudolf

Maroon 1874

its kack like St J,Hubs, Killie and the midden who should be destitute with thier derisory support

Bonnie Prince Charlie

I worked up there for a few years, full of glory hunting Rangers wanks then

skinnybob72

A couple of decent wins in Europe wont suddenly magic fans out of thin air - St J have always had a rubbish support and that wont change.

They had about 8,000 last week and won. I'd have expected at least half of that from them? Not on TV, nice day, early season optimism? I

Dagger Is Back

If we can maintain our level of support for our club, given that this is what we're up against in terms of support, we'll soon be back at the right end of the table. These teams are coping economically with pathetic home gates like this. We have a huge advantage in terms of our fan base.

Dagger Is Back

Lucky if there was 2500 of them. Pathetic really after the Euro exploits

Thought it was a shocking turn out quite frankly, notwithstanding their historically poor crowds. Makes you wonder how the hell they survive.

It was a good crowd for them. It was actually above their average home support last year.

Teams like that shouldn't be able to compete with us.

Say What Again

its kack like St J,Hubs, Killie and the midden who should be destitute with thier derisory support

Why's that? They lived within the budget the "derisory support" afforded them, we didn't.

Lets just wipe out every club from Morton down, eh?

It's a poor support, but at least they don't jump on buses to Glasgow like the other fans from Perth every week.

Tin hat (unnecessarily) on.

Gorgie_Rules

Those modern stadiums with didy wee stands miles apart really are shan places to watch football

Jambof3tornado

It was a good crowd for them. It was actually above their average home support last year.

Teams like that shouldn't be able to compete with us.

Not normally but they are competing with a Hearts team in administration.

I dislike this kind of topic.

We had more suppot than them

We sang louder than them etc

It's what happens ON the field that counts and we lost!

Obsessed with attendances for some reason.

Fact is st Johnston where better today with a shit home support.

We're the biggest club outside Glasgow it's about time we acted like by stop mentioning other supports and acting like its a badge of honour.

Obsessed with attendances for some reason.

Fact is st Johnston where better today with a shit home support.

We're the biggest club outside Glasgow it's about time we acted like by stop mentioning other supports and acting like its a badge of honour.

Fair Point

It's the supports backing that is important not always the size of the support.

You can't blame clubs for having a small support in terms of numbers for they often come from small towns and cities.

If you are confident in who you are then you don't need to shout about it every few minutes.

As for today great backing and lets hope we see that throughout the season but the numbers will go up and down...........the quality should not.

I dislike this kind of topic.

We had more suppot than them

We sang louder than them etc

It's what happens ON the field that counts and we lost!

Their European journey

Brought no eager extra fans

Sat down, sat on hands

Aye, I can do haikus too.

Anyways, expected more from St Johnstone after their big wins in Europe, as it turns out they collectively could barely fill one stand for a season opener. Take away the Hearts fans and they'd have been as well shutting a stand or 2.

Rocco_Jambo

For the size of their hometown compared to ours they get a far higher proportional average attendance than we do.

Captain Bubblebeard

If points picked up was based on support, we'd be laughing all he way to safety by November. Sadly it isn't. However, I think the support today proved that the "12th man" tag can be true. In reality, we were miles behind St. J on the pitch but the crowd very nearly dragged a point out of that game by continuing to back them all the way to the end. You could see the massive effort the players put in as a result but, in truth, today we just did not have the quality to grab the goal. We are going to need a 12th man in every game this season if we want to be even close...

If points picked up was based on support, we'd be laughing all he way to safety by November. Sadly it isn't. However, I think the support today proved that the "12th man" tag can be true. In reality, we were miles behind St. J on the pitch but the crowd very nearly dragged a point out of that game by continuing to back them all the way to the end. You could see the massive effort the players put in as a result but, in truth, today we just did not have the quality to grab the goal. We are going to need a 12th man in every game this season if we want to be even close...

Could that 12th man come on and play up front ?

Captain Bubblebeard

Could that 12th man come on and play up front ?

To be fair, think he tried just before KO!

Their European journey

Brought no eager extra fans

Sat down, sat on hands

Aye, I can do haikus too.

Anyways, expected more from St Johnstone after their big wins in Europe, as it turns out they collectively could barely fill one stand for a season opener. Take away the Hearts fans and they'd have been as well shutting a stand or 2.

That's H1B5 talk worrying about how many opposition fans were there. So what if they could only fill one stand! Does that give us some sort of moral victory?

I think they should be praised for giving us ?1 per head.

Fraggle Rock

I couldn't support a team like that.

Hahaha that made me laugh...... True though.

Caspian Primrose

I worked up there for a few years, full of glory hunting Rangers wanks then

just like every town in Scotland then.

Perth has a population of around 50k. I'd say their support is pretty decent.

I'd be more inclined to say well done to those of them that do go along to support their local team. Trying to claim one up on a team because we have a bigger fan base is pretty poor imo.

Attendances seem poor but maybe that's it now and some good points about proportions. St Johnstone fans in section near us made a fair bit of noise and supported team well. Sad a bit as Saints might have a good side so shame more people don't come. Wonder if Saints are happy they have a 10,000 stadium now though SPL forced hand at time. If was 6,000 would have been full today.

Yeah, Well done to those who turned up, to all those glory hunting sevco and celtic wanks, hope your car breaks down and your dole never comes in again scum.

Jambos_1874

Why's that? They lived within the budget the "derisory support" afforded them, we didn't.

Lets just wipe out every club from Morton down, eh?

It's a poor support, but at least they don't jump on buses to Glasgow like the other fans from Perth every week.

Tin hat (unnecessarily) on.

Exactly. StJohnstone are punching above their weight (on what is likely to be a tiny budget) and have been for a few seasons now, so all the best to them. To write them off just because they are a smaller club than us is the kind of arrogant OF mentality we don't need.

Perth is no different from every single Scottish city in the sense that a significant proportion of its population supports one half of the OF rather than their local club. Walking around Edinburgh today I saw no-one wearing Hearts or Hibs tops but several people wearing Sellick and Rankgers tops. Absolutely sickening.

Son Of Anarchy

Ive got more respect for the home fans that did turn up than all the glory hunters wandering around the shops wearing old firm tops when they could be supporting their local team.perths full of them unfortunately.st j will always be a small team but they are a team i have no problem with at all which is rare for me.

Monkey Watcher

I couldn't support a team like that.

And Celtic and Rangers fans probably say the same about Hearts.

Thought it was a shocking turn out quite frankly, notwithstanding their historically poor crowds. Makes you wonder how the hell they survive.

This is what I don't get. Average home gates were published (on the BBC site, I think) at the end of last season. There are teams that have about a third (or less) of what we have. Teams are managing to punch well above their weight, for some reason.

newyearsday97

If I'm being honest, I was disappointed with the size of our support today, but I certainly wasn't embarrassed by it. The guys and girls who come along every week give the team great backing and have as much right to support an SPL team as any Old Firm, Hearts, Hibs or Aberdeen fan. To be fair, we do get less stick from you guys about it than most clubs. To the guy who said he couldn't support a team like that - that's okay mate, we wouldn't want you anyway. There's no league points awarded for size of crowd.

As for the Hearts support - tremendous. The way you guys backed your team right to the end as great. Had a banter with a couple of lads in the 208, great guys and real football fans.

some saints fans have openly admitted that they can't afford 2 home games in a week. I don't think people should be criticised for that and they certainly shouldn't be ashamed of that - it's an expensive hobby sometimes.

vodka-shark

We should be taking a leaf out of St Johnstone's book.

Just shows what can be achieved with a well run hard working club, what they have been able to achieve in Europe with such a small budget and support is incredible.

Pants Shaton

This is what I don't get. Average home gates were published (on the BBC site, I think) at the end of last season. There are teams that have about a third (or less) of what we have. Teams are managing to punch well above their weight, for some reason.

They appoint decent managers, let them buy their own players and don't sack them every 6 months. It's a radical formula but one that might just work.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

The section closest to our end was quite loud, but the guys at St Johnstone must be wondering what they have to do to attract a decent crowd. Deserve better as a club to be honest.

heartsfc_fan

On a side note, what about the traffic after the match :vrface: Is it usually that bad?

The motorway looked a standstill (I ended up taking a 'long' detour through the countryside instead).

They appoint decent managers, let them buy their own players and don't sack them every 6 months. It's a radical formula but one that might just work.

You may have a point!

The Shed Floodlight

St Johnstone used to have quite a big support in years gone by, like everything else, support has disappeared because of the fare on offer and the prices to get into grounds nowadays. Good on the one's that still go along though as they will be the loyal one's who go every week. Their stay at home support will only go to the big games, like the one coming up on Thursday, and as a previous poster said can only maybe afford one game a week, so obviously the Euro game will take precedence.

Matthew Le Tissier

On a side note, what about the traffic after the match :vrface: Is it usually that bad?

The motorway looked a standstill (I ended up taking a 'long' detour through the countryside instead).

Took us 2mins to get out the car park. Only hold up was a wee tail back at Broxden roundabout.

As other posters have pointed out, the big problem that St Johnstone face is the big problem that just about every non old-firm club in Scotland face - the huge numbers of locals who support one of the old firm instead of their local team. I expect that the percentage of football fans residing in the Lothians who support one of the old-firm instead of Hearts, Hibs or Livingston is probably about the same as the percentage in the Perth area who support old firm teams instead of St Johnstone i.e. our support is only significantly bigger because the population of the Lothians is much bigger.

At the end of the day, St Johnstone are a very well run club who deserve a better level of support - and the fans that do support them deserve respect for following their local club instead of heading down to Glasgow on a Saturday.

The guys and girls who come along every week give the team great backing

There was no more than about ten youths and a drummer who attempted to make a noise amongst your support.

Fair play to the Saints fans who did turn up though.

Attendances seem poor but maybe that's it now and some good points about proportions. St Johnstone fans in section near us made a fair bit of noise and supported team well. Sad a bit as Saints might have a good side so shame more people don't come. Wonder if Saints are happy they have a 10,000 stadium now though SPL forced hand at time. If was 6,000 would have been full today.

McDiarmid Park was opened in 1989, long before all seated stadiums became compulsory. I think that they got it for nothing. Mr McDiarmid gave them the land for nothing, and I think that a supermarket paid for the construction in return for Muirton Park

Crowds, especially travelling supports were higher in those days than they are now. St Johnstone averaged around 6,000 in their first few season at McDiarmid. People were turned away from our 5-0 victory there in 1991-92.

What's St Johnstone's problem with Dundee btw?

Are they more rivals with them than Utd?

They see it as a derby, for whatever reason.

I've attended a few of these games with a mate who is a saints fan both at Perth and Dundee, they actually hate each other!

Weird really, considering the distance.

I've attended a few of these games with a mate who is a saints fan both at Perth and Dundee, they actually hate each other!

Yeah, I saw a saints fan with a St Johnstone 7 Dundee 2 T-shirt whenever that was.

Utd were a pretty small club until the early 60s. I'm sure that Dundee played Saints on New Year's Day and Utd in the next match until the mid-70s.

Archived