Under the Dome

Don Draper

Any North America-based Jambos been watching this? I'm semi-hooked, although the acting's a wee bit ropey at times, Hank from Breaking Bad aside.

Based on the Stephen King novel. It's got a sort of Lost vibe about it.

It's getting big ratings in the US and has already been renewed for a second series. Apparently hitting Channel 5 later in the year.

Here's a trailer for anyone that's interested:

Actually looks quite decent! Will give the pilot a watch later.

"An invisible and mysterious force field descends upon a small fictional town in the United States, trapping residents inside, cut off from the rest of civilization. The trapped townsfolk must discover the secrets and purpose of the "dome" and its origins, while coming to learn more than they ever knew about each other."

Actually looks quite decent! Will give the pilot a watch later.

It's not bad, mate, but I've only seen the first five episodes. I do wonder if they can keep it interesting long-term.

I was on a terrible run with science fiction-y stuff, as every new one I started to watch - V, The Event, Flash Forward, Terra Nova - promptly got the boot, so I'm glad this one's got at least 2 series in it.

J.T.F.Robertson

Cheesy as .....

I'm a big SK fan and enjoyed the book, but this made for tv job, to my mind has so far (6th episode) been garbage.

Having said that, I'm hard pressed to think of any of his books, transferring well to the wee screen.

It's not bad, mate, but I've only seen the first five episodes. I do wonder if they can keep it interesting long-term.

I was on a terrible run with science fiction-y stuff, as every new one I started to watch - V, The Event, Flash Forward, Terra Nova - promptly got the boot, so I'm glad this one's got at least 2 series in it.

Yeh, they all seemed promising in the trailers and first so many episodes but agree they were all pretty poor.

It's on here in Oz and is ok, worth watching cos big brother is on here just now and that is dire.

Guest C00l K1d

I forgot all about this but a guy at work told me about this and he rates it highly.

Hes into all that kind of stuff though.

Might give the pilot a watch

The 'Gone' series of books by Michael Grant is about a dome that suddenly 'appears' over a small town in California. At the same time, everyone over the age of 14 disappears, leaving the kids to fight it out for themselves, LotF style. Pretty sure the first one at least came out before SK's The Dome, and that SK is credited as saying 'he loves' the 'Gone' series. I've read the MG books (though not the final one which has only recently come out) and The Dome. The MG ones are much better, IMO. SK hasn't written anything decent in years, again IMO.

My Left Nut

I have been downloading it and watching it, I think it has potential and I am really enjoying it. I have that many shows to watch but I end up getting hooked on one and at the moment this one is it.

Highly recommended.

I read a lot, & I'm a big Stephen King fan. I've read the book and really enjoyed it. Trouble is, that with very few exceptions, film & TV adaptations of his work tend to be poor. I think its because film & TV versions can never ever (IMO) conjure up the scenes that your imagination can.

Say What Again

You don't have to live in North America to have been watching, OP ;)

I'm enjoying it, and I'm eager to find out what's going to happen in certain parts of the story, but it's not amazing. Enjoyable enough but it's not up there with the best TV series.

Geoff Kilpatrick

It shows on Channel Ten out here. I've seen it a couple of times but I can't take it seriously as I keep thinking about The Simpsons movie!

J.T.F.Robertson

"Big Jim", in the book, is just about the biggest arsehole on the planet. In this version, so far, he's coming across as FatherTheresa.

AND he's no' even that big!!!

Archived