How long does it take to go through a short list?

Guest JamboRobbo

And I don't think I've ever come across anyone with such an obsession about discussing a poster, rather than discussing the subject at hand.

I shall answer your points right after you explain when and where the thread subject become "JamboRobbo"?

I'll draw my own conclusions then.

portobellojambo1
How long does it take to go through a short list?

If 4.5 million dwarves have applied for the position could take fecking years.

boabyarsebiscuit
Can you honestly say that if you owned a club (which BTW is also a business) you would never interfere. I think I would if I thought things were not going how I wanted them. I would also decide which players I wanted to buy and who I should get rid off. That is not to say that I would ride roughshod over the Manager/Head Coach and I would certainly seek/listen to his/their professional opinion(s) but in the end I would need to have the final say. Tell me you're different and say how it should be done.

Sorry for jumping in.

Here's how I would do it. I would appoint a manager with the requisite experience. Someone I'd checked out, and was the kind of manager who would fit in with my overall footballing policy. Do I want a team that is hard to beat? Maybe Craig Levein. Flair football? John Collins (LOL). All out attacking football with 9 centre forwards signed from Leagues One, Two and the Blue Square? Barry Fry. Someone with a record of bringing through youngsters? And so on.

I would set the policy. I would pick my manager based on that policy. I would give him full control on implementing my policy. And over time, if I had good reason to suspect my manager's objectives didn't fit in with mine, I'd interfere. I'd sack the manager.

The only other interference I would have would be that if I was being asked to spend a million quid on a player I would expect a written report on how this player would help in achieving my aims. It would not be for me to prejudge my manager on rating players, and while I may have football related conversations with my manager I would NEVER force a signing on him. I would also NEVER instruct my manager to play or drop a player.

I'd have an exprerienced commercial/operations guy to handle contracts and so on. By experienced, someone who has worked at a football club in my country before. I would not have a DoF. If my policy is articulated well enough for my manager to understand it, and my budget is clearly outlined to my commercial/operations guy, I don't need one.

That is honestly how I would do it.

portobellojambo1
Sorry for jumping in.

Here's how I would do it. I would appoint a manager with the requisite experience. Someone I'd checked out, and was the kind of manager who would fit in with my overall footballing policy. Do I want a team that is hard to beat? Maybe Craig Levein. Flair football? John Collins (LOL). All out attacking football with 9 centre forwards signed from Leagues One, Two and the Blue Square? Barry Fry. Someone with a record of bringing through youngsters? And so on.

I would set the policy. I would pick my manager based on that policy. I would give him full control on implementing my policy. And over time, if I had good reason to suspect my manager's objectives didn't fit in with mine, I'd interfere. I'd sack the manager.

The only other interference I would have would be that if I was being asked to spend a million quid on a player I would expect a written report on how this player would help in achieving my aims. It would not be for me to prejudge my manager on rating players, and while I may have football related conversations with my manager I would NEVER force a signing on him. I would also NEVER instruct my manager to play or drop a player.

I'd have an exprerienced commercial/operations guy to handle contracts and so on. By experienced, someone who has worked at a football club in my country before. I would not have a DoF. If my policy is articulated well enough for my manager to understand it, and my budget is clearly outlined to my commercial/operations guy, I don't need one.

Far too fecking logical boaby, would never work in Scotland :confused:

Sorry for jumping in.

Bobby that's a tremendous reply and dare I say it, it would probably work - apart that is from your 9 centre forwards you put in light heartedly.

I'm not especially a DoF man myself but such is the nature and volume of tasks falling on managers these days that some form of help is probably required and put out to trust. The main point I agree with is that the owner sets the overall policy and the manager should be left to get on with it within these parameters unless/until something goes off the rails. No manager will ever have total control nor should have.

bighusref
We all know that there isn't any short list.

The Mark McGhee story seems to have gone a bit quiet on here too?

Two options in my opinion :

1) Its a lie

2) Nobody on the 'shortlist' wants the job

Which will lead to :

1) Frail getting the gig

2) Someone from within the 'pyramid' being appointed

3) Someone we have never heard of from Eastern Europe turning up in mid July

sisi.gif

My quick theory of why it's taking so long for them to annouce it, (I hope I'm wrong mind!):

1. It's Frail, without question.

Tragically, sadly, madly, you appear to be right.

2. They knew that all along, and there was no 'shortlist'.

A guy I meet workwise who is involved at Tynie (no I wont name him - that is a clue, though, it is a male) said that he has seen no sign of any work being done to identify or select a new manager. Given everything else, he is sure there has been no real work on it unless it has all been done outwith the people he would expect to have some involvement.

He also says that he is fairly sure that there was an "exploratory meeting" with someone, who he is pretty sure was the person involved and not an agent. That fell apart pretty fast over that person's "no interference" requirement. The meeting was not held at Tynie though so it is just a rumour as far as he can confirm it, not a fact based on actually seeing anyone.

3. They are now cacking it about when to announce it following on from the feedback from this site and from the HMFC support in general who are almost to a man and woman against his appointment.

That seems a strong story now - there had been two views at Tynie - the Russian / Liths believed sales would be nearly the same as this season was - with over 12,000 sold by now. They are stunned how low sales are.

The Scots are really very surprised how high sales are, however.

4. They are clueless wuckfits.

You will get no argument from me, or my contact, on that one.

Nelly Terraces

Interesting post there mate, and In light of what you've said there JamboGuy, I think they'll hold off to as late as possible before annoucing that Fail is the manager. Late July probably.

portobellojambo1
He also says that he is fairly sure that there was an "exploratory meeting" with someone, who he is pretty sure was the person involved and not an agent. That fell apart pretty fast over that person's "no interference" requirement. The meeting was not held at Tynie though so it is just a rumour as far as he can confirm it, not a fact based on actually seeing anyone.

Would said person be Mark McGhee by any chance, whom I am led to believe has informed Hearts he is no longer interested in the post specifically for the reason you state above.

Would said person be Mark McGhee by any chance, whom I am led to believe has informed Hearts he is no longer interested in the post specifically for the reason you state above.

I hope so.

jack D and coke

I never believed for even a second McGhee would be daft enough to work for this a*se. He's maybe got someone to listen to what they had to say and dismissed it right away due to the unbearable amount of interference the dick wants to impose on him.

Mention McGhee's name, speak to one of his people, word gets out to the press we're talking to a 'proper' manager, season ticket sales go up then bang we get shaggy.

In response to the OP's question i don't believe there's ever even been a short list. Romanov couldn't lie straight in his bed.

The Real Maroonblood
I hope so.

Totally agree. Who would want a manager with full autonomy on team selection..

Keep the puppets in place.

:whistling:

boabyarsebiscuit

Correct! Puppets are the way ahead. All top European clubs are managed by puppets. For example, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, FB Kaunas, Brentford.

When I said "I hope so" I was referring to statement that MM was no longer interested.

Archived