North Edinburgh Cycle route

Maximus

Hello poeple, is there anyone about who has a good knowledge of the North Edniburgh cycle route? I have walked and cycled over parts of this route before years ago (The Dean/Roseburn - Craigleith) but I can't find a full map on the net and wanted to know if it's possible to go a) from Roseburn to Cramond and B) from Roseburn to Corstorphine.

ArmiyaRomanova

Can't help, but I had a similar problem when looking for a map of cycle routes in Edinburgh. Nothing on-line, and the only option seemed to be to buy a map from somewhere like Spokes.

You'd think if the Council were keen to get more people out of their cars, they'd make bike-friendly maps readily and freely available.

Jimbo's A Jambo

hi guy's 1st post on jkb so here goes.

i have a cycle map of edinburgh that i no longer use.

i'd be more than willing to give it to someone that has use for it.

it was a freebee when i was doing the edinburgh cycle challenge

jamboinglasgow
Hello poeple, is there anyone about who has a good knowledge of the North Edniburgh cycle route? I have walked and cycled over parts of this route before years ago (The Dean/Roseburn - Craigleith) but I can't find a full map on the net and wanted to know if it's possible to go a) from Roseburn to Cramond and B) from Roseburn to Corstorphine.

As my street connects directly to it I have used it many times.

so a) Yes this is quite easy. Take the route from roseburn and head north. After you pass under the two bridges next to the holiday Inn there will be a fork in the path. It should be sign posted at that point. Take the left hand path and that takes you on a path that finish at Silverknowes. Now follow the road down to the roundabout and go straight over at the roundabout down the hill till you get to the waterfront. Then simply go left along the waterfront and you arrive in crammond. You are only on a road for about a km.

B) there is no real direct path. Unless when you get to the end of the path at roseburn, head away from tynecastle and into Murryfield park. Follow the water of leith along the path until the path crosses over the water just before the railway bridge. Go along the road rather than the path (Baird Road) then at the end. Cross Balgreen Road and there should be a path on the left hand side of the Jenners Depostry. Follow the path and it will take you part of the way there. Sadly I have never done this route so dont know how you get to corstorphine from there.

You can buy those spokes maps at Edinburgh Bicycle in Bruntsfield.

Terrible Trio
there is no real direct path. Unless when you get to the end of the path at roseburn, head away from tynecastle and into Murryfield park. Follow the water of leith along the path until the path crosses over the water just before the railway bridge. Go along the road rather than the path (Baird Road) then at the end. Cross Balgreen Road and there should be a path on the left hand side of the Jenners Depostry. Follow the path and it will take you part of the way there. Sadly I have never done this route so dont know how you get to corstorphine from there.

think the pathway leading to station road is closed at pinkhill

Csaba's Broon Shoes
think the pathway leading to station road is closed at pinkhill

Correct it has been closed for a while now although there is a diversion in

place which is not a problem , repairs to the bridge must be about to finish

shortly .

Depends on how adventurous you are!

1) Roseburn to Cramond - Head north on roseburn cycleway to the Y junction just after the holiday inn (former Esso hotel), turn left at the fork. Then straight on for about a mile to the D. Mains junction where you have 2 options - one is to turn right onto the main road and head straight down to silverknowes promenade and turn left to Cramond,

Otherwise continue left, under the bridge towards tesco (formerly safeway) and out at the royal bank / quality street mini roundabout. Once there, go right and head into D mains park, and follow the road past the royal HS entrance and continue straight on into the Barnton estate. Continue along this road (barnton avenue - occasionally marked with red 'Route 1' cycle signs) and you will come onto a footpath through the burgess and bruntsfield golf courses where you'll then find yourself on barnton ave west. Continue along this road to the junction (whitehouse road), cross over and follow the road and within a couple of 100 yards you'll be at the river Almond. Once at the river Almond, turn right and follow the path all the way down to Cramond. Its a great cycle path, but there is one section where you have to lift your bike up and downapprox 100 steps in order to keep following the river. Don't let that put you off though, its a great "off road" urban route !!!!

Roseburn to Corstorphine;

Cross the road at the lights in front of the Murrayfield bar, down roseburn gardens and turn right (into roseburn place). Then head towards roseburn playing fields, and follow the path that skirts the playing fields alog the riverside, and contine towards murrayfield icerink. At the icerink, continue along the riverside path and once you are beyond the icerink / carpark, you will reach a double bridge on the right hand side that will take you over the river into Saughtonhall avenue. Follow S. Ave straight on to the end where you will reach Carrick Knowe golf course, then turn right under the bridge at the golf course onto the footpath which skirts the golf course. This will lead you to the pinkhill bridge (under repair at the moment) but continue over or under, and carry on to the back of the forrestry 'banana shaped' building. Once there, do not turn right up to the main road, , go straight through 'the paddockholm' houses and you will in no time reach the east end of Corstophime.

Good luck!!!

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I walked up to Corstorphine Hill yesterday with the dogs, got a bit lost mind. I just left the cycle path at St.Georges school and headed through Ravelstonia in the general diretion of the hill and eventually found the most obscure footpath in the world that took me onto the hill just in time for the rain :(, it's a great place though. All in all it was a good way to kill about 4 hours!

I think I will try your route by bike next weekend AD, if the sun returns. All this walking about made me appreciate that there are some amazing walking/cycle routes in Edinburgh, it's probably one of the best places to own a dog and/or bike in the country.

Archived