Actors/films that everyone loves but you have no time for....

tommythejambo

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Snake Plissken

Even though I haven't seen it all the way through may I nominate High Fidelity?

One of my favourite ever books - read it countless times - but the essence of the book is that it's set in London and the hero gets all starry-eyed at one point about a relationship with an American singer.

To set it in the USA simply doesn't work - or maybe it does and you guys will tell me so - as there's just so much about the British (or English) way of life.

I really wish I could watch it and make my own mind up but as soon as Rob (John Cusack, I think it is) opens his mouth I can't bring myself to watch any more.

So JKB - should I give it a real go?

I've not see the film but I've read the book and I hated it.

It starts off pretty well but it soon became a chore to read, by the end I actively despised it and only finished it out of spite.

I've read the book and I hated it.

Wow! That'll be the polar opposite of my opinion! :lol:

One of my favourite ever books - read it countless times - but the essence of the book is that it's set in London and the hero gets all starry-eyed at one point about a relationship with an American singer.

To set it in the USA simply doesn't work - or maybe it does and you guys will tell me so - as there's just so much about the British (or English) way of life.

I really wish I could watch it and make my own mind up but as soon as Rob (John Cusack, I think it is) opens his mouth I can't bring myself to watch any more.

I thought the movie was really well done and really enjoyed it. It's definitely an adaptation tho, if you're looking for it to mirror the book you're probably better skipping it tbh.

Chad Sexington

The Mission Impossible and Bourne franchises do absolutely nothing for me. I've not sat through more than 20 minutes of any of them.

Harry Potter movies are total shite. Any adult who reads the books is a fecking weirdo anaw. :glare:

Sorry - I made a minor arse of that. The story doesn't revolve solely around Rob's relationship with the singer - that's a fairly small sub-plot, but still absolutely vital that it's set in London. IMO, of course.

Jesus Shuttlesworth

I thought the gosling thing was a troll poor actor relies on his looks to woo those who are that way inclined.

If Gosling relies on his good looks, then why does he predominatly do low budget indie films?

Lord of the rings and Harry Potter. Garbage.

Randall knows all about Lord of the rings......

Snake Plissken

I quite liked Clerks (but that might have been down to me working a similar job when I saw it) but I thought Clerks II was absolute shite.

I quite liked Clerks (but that might have been down to me working a similar job when I saw it) but I thought Clerks II was absolute shite.

It wasn't shite but it wasn't a patch on Clerks.

Snake Plissken

It wasn't shite but it wasn't a patch on Clerks.

It would have needed to triple in quality just to make it to shite.

One of the worst films I've ever seen and I don't say that lightly.

It would have needed to triple in quality just to make it to shite.

One of the worst films I've ever seen and I don't say that lightly.

I thought it was decent enough.

The difference between Clerks and Clerks II was the production imo,

Clerks was b/w and low budget while they upped the anti for II. The colour didn't help.

:lol:

Aye, it was the colour that made it awful.

:lol:

You know what I mean. Clerks being low budget and effortless made it much better.

Give it a crack BOOF, i read the book first and like you, was somewhat miffed that they relocated to USA. I quite enjoyed the movie, it captures the same essence of the book, but of course, the characterisation isn't as strong. Cusack does a decent job.

Will Smith is another I've never liked. He wasn't even the funny one in the Fresh Prince. Just always hated his cockiness.

Cause he is a poor actor so doesn't get the chance at the better movies. He can only get employment at the end of the market. Give him a few more years and he'll just be doing the advertising gig.

Agreed he has never been trusted with selling a big movie.Lets not think he wouldnt do them as he took on that pish Gangster Squad.

Will Smith is another I've never liked. He wasn't even the funny one in the Fresh Prince. Just always hated his cockiness.

Scrolled through three pages thinking he wasn't going to get a mention.

Independence Day was OK.

Everything else since has been terrible...

The Pursuit of Happiness and I am Legend being particular low-lights.

Chris Benoit

You'll be delighted to hear they're going to make a third.

Whoever said Withnail & I, seconded. Watched it a couple of times now and couldn't get into it.

Scrolled through three pages thinking he wasn't going to get a mention.

Independence Day was OK.

Everything else since has been terrible...

The Pursuit of Happiness and I am Legend being particular low-lights.

I have never watched it but was he not seriously miffed that he did not get an Oscar for Ali.As soon as i seen the trailer for After Earth and seen it was him that was enough for me he is pish.

Chris Benoit

Give it a crack BOOF, i read the book first and like you, was somewhat miffed that they relocated to USA. I quite enjoyed the movie, it captures the same essence of the book, but of course, the characterisation isn't as strong. Cusack does a decent job.

Would go along with this, also the only film Jack Black has ever been tolerable in.

May I recommend some French subtitled films that one simply must watch.

• La Haine
  • Tell-No One
  • A Prophet
  • Mesrine: Public Enemy #1
  • Mesrine: Killer Instinct
  • Sleepless Night
  • Les Leyonnais (A Gang Story)

Fret not. The themes are mainly gangs, violence, drugs, kidnapping and guns. No arty farty stuff.

French films are brilliant, You've missed out Betty Blue and Delicatessan. I just ordered Toto the hero on Amazon, will let you know how it is.

You'll be delighted to hear they're going to make a third.

Whoever said Withnail & I, seconded. Watched it a couple of times now and couldn't get into it.

A while back i looked through films that were regarded as "British top 10". Withnail and I was there... just couldnt comprehend how...

The Pursuit of Happiness is a good movie, nice we story.

We can't all like the same things..............

Indeed. The Pursuit of Happiness is the only film I've ever seen at the cinema and wanted to walk out of.

I concur with Tom Hanks and Woody Allen.

Two films that I have no real time for (and these will probably be controversial) are:

The Big Lebowski - I've watched it in every state you can think of and I've not enjoyed it once

The Shawshank Redemption - It took me ages to get round to watching it after everyone telling me how great it was and how its best film I'd ever see. It wasnt. Probably because of all of the hyperbole about it.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Watched Only God Forgives last night. The usual brilliance from Gosling.

Only said about 2 words so that'll get the haters hating a bit more.

:jjyay:

Franklin Delano Bluth

Why are Ryan Gosling's eyes so close together?

Yours.

A. Jealous *******

American Beauty is possibly the most over-rated piece of pretentious shite I've ever come across. Not the worst film, just the most over-rated.

I also agree with whoever picked on Woody Allen, he should've been French.

Picking on actors is pretty meh unless you've seen all their films. Carrey for example is generally horrbile, but the Truman Show goes a long way towards redeeming him.

Alan Johnson

Ryan Reynolds - shite.

Matthew McConaughey - we get it, you can play the smug middle class/professional type. ****.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk 2

rudi must stay

Never seen Good Will Hunting then?

him playing Matt Damon against probably, he never nails who he's playing, although he is quite good in Talented Mr Ripley, so I was maybe being unfair (because he'll definatly notice) mentioning him on this topic.

Ryan Reynolds - shite.

Matthew McConaughey - we get it, you can play the smug middle class/professional type. ****.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk 2

i felt Reynolds was great in buried, however i agree with MM as he seems to play the exact same character in every film

Cohen bros films In general.

Amen Brother.

Add to that Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill. Both get a lot of love, thought they were both utter guff.

I'm with you here, just don't get it at all, the wife loves his stuff though.

Will Ferrell getting some more mentions and he has done some crap movies but Semi Pro is the 2nd funniest movie of all time (the funniest being The Castle). He is also very good in Everything Must Go.

I can see why people find him annoying but there some good stuff out there too.

I'm ashamed , I bought this on DVD. Spectacularly abysmal. The black kid on the bike had the best lines.

Seven psycopaths - gave up on it. Not in the least funny.

The last Batman movie (I LOVE Batman movies BTW) - a waste of two hours.

Di caprio. Just find him to be so wooden when he acts with the possible exception of basketball diaries.

Don't get it at all.

Jamie Fox is another that said thought was excellent in django. That apart don't see the fuss.

I thought the gosling thing was a troll poor actor relies on his looks to woo those who are that way inclined.

Di caprio wooden? :rofl: surely a troll?!

Gregory House M.D.

Di caprio. Just find him to be so wooden when he acts with the possible exception of basketball diaries.

Don't get it at all.

Jamie Fox is another that said thought was excellent in django. That apart don't see the fuss.

leo8f-2-web.jpg

Sterling Archer

Lord BJ getting tag teamed by JKB's own Posh and Becks

:rofl:

rightly so though

Right-ho. That's convinced me.

Just need to find it now :D

I've never been a fan of Ben Affleck although admittedly I've yet to see Argo which may make me change my opinion.

Private Womble

Not read all the posts but Jennifer Aniston (sp?) Really annoys me. Just her voice and mannerisms.

Alan Johnson

Not read all the posts but Jennifer Aniston (sp?) Really annoys me. Just her voice and mannerisms.

Only so many times you can watch her play the 'hot girl who doesn't know she's hot/doesn't act like the stereotypical hot girl' role.

Private Womble

Only so many times you can watch her play the 'hot girl who doesn't know she's hot/doesn't act like the stereotypical hot girl' role.

Exactly, she's a one trick pony.

Still would though

:ruiner:

skinnybob72

Star Wars - films made so that people with no friends could find common ground to enable them to become friends with other friendless people.

Star Wars - films made so that people with no friends could find common ground to enable them to become friends with other friendless people.

Surely after the first one they would become friends with the other friendless people and therefore no longer be people with no friends? Who watched all the other ones?

PSA - Not all JKB threads have to get bogged down with shite trolling and the usual suspects with their crappy banter.

Transcendental

Genuinely can't stick E.T

And even moreso Robert Carlyle (decent TV actor but piss poor on the big screen) - his Begbie was spectacularly abysmal.

Craig Gordons Gloves

All Star Wars Movies - space shite.

All Star Trek movies - see above.

And Lord of the Rings - utter jobbies, absolute total and utter jobbies - elves and orcs and hobbits that people pay money to sit and watch for 3 friggin hours while nothing actually happens.

Oh, and any Tim Burton movie, facetious ****.

Archived