FISH

Floyd

After all the fish hate earlier, I'm interested to know what people's favourite kind of fish is.

I'm quite partial to most fish, cod, haddock, pollock, hake & trout.

But my favourite is Salmon. Yum Yum!

Are you a friend of fish??

tokyowalnut

Love a bit of salmon, skin has to be crispy, but my favourite is (kick his ass) Seabass, love it!!!

Not so keen on singing Fish!!

Some excellent shouts so far. :thumbsup:

I love just about all seafood.

Skin must be crispy on salmon though or it's a non starter for this cat. :D

...a bit disco

Can't beat a good kipper.

TheMaganator

I'm really starting to enjoy oysters - bit of lemon, shallots & red wine vinegar to go with them.

Great stuff!

Stuart McNeill

Haddock or tuna.

Not very confident when eating fish. Always expect it to taste horrid.

duckandcover

There's only two things in this world that smell like fish. And one of them's fish....

Private Womble

Some excellent shouts so far. :thumbsup:

I love just about all seafood.

Skin must be crispy on salmon though or it's a non starter for this cat. :D

I put a wee bit pesto on my salmon to enhance the taste, maybe a bit weird but feckin lovely.

PortyJambo

Had a just-smoked Arbroath smokie the other week. Spectacularly good.

Had that at the Food Festival in Holyrood Park a few years ago, straight from being smoked in the barrel in the ground. Was outstanding.

I put a wee bit pesto on my salmon to enhance the taste, maybe a bit weird but feckin lovely.

Will need to give that a wee go, never thought of that before. :thumbsup:

Had a just-smoked Arbroath smokie the other week. Spectacularly good.

I had one as well, at the Highland Show.

Toxteth O'Grady

Farmed salmon is horrible, artificially orange and full of the horrible chemicals that they use to control sea lice and disease, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

Wild sea bream is excellent (better than bass) I love this on holiday.

Here fresh Haddock, cod, halibut or dabs are good.

I really like Mackerel if I catch them myself but they must be eaten within a few hours of being caught.

Another shout for mackerel here, but for an exquisite taste you gotta try STAP.

Ingredients

• 3 large Piltocks (Coalfish)
  • 2 - 3lb of Piltock Livers
  • Seasoning to taste

Method

• Place livers in a covered, but not sealed, container, in a steamer for about 4 hours, until most of the oil has come out of the livers. Drain the livers, reserving some of the oil.
  • Just before the livers are ready, boil the fish, then remove all skin and bones and keep fish warm.
  • Roughly mash livers and fish together in equal proportions, adding salt and pepper to taste. If the mixture is too dry, add some of the oil from the livers.

To Serve

• Serve with boiled or steamed potatoes and butter.

An alternative is to use olick (ling) and olick livers. Fry the oil out of 'em (takes minutes rather than that 4 hour nonsense in the above recipe) and use it to moisten the fish+liver combo if it's too dry.

Also serve with liberally buttered tatties.

For those who are thinking "Holy shite, Boof, get a grip" - it is seriously good.

Maple Leaf

Any fish that's smoked. Kippers, smoked salmon, even smoked eel. Delicious.

Haddock, Plaice or Cod for me.

Occasionally Tuna.

Not much of a seafood man at all.

The Doctor

Dover Sole, on the bone, grilled (for about three minutes a side, no more) and served with butter and squeezed lemon.

Sea Trout, poached, served cold. Heat the water until it's just boiling, then switch off and allow to cool. The fish will be perfect. You can poach in a vinegar mixture (30% vinegar) or with some white wine, bouquet garni, some veg, whatever you fancy, but let the fish be the star!

Moules Mariniere; Mussels, white wine, butter, onion, crushed garlic. The liquid should be a couple of inches deep in the pan and you steam the mussels open in it, takes about 5-8 minutes.

I make a pretty good fish pie too!

Farmed salmon is horrible, artificially orange and full of the horrible chemicals that they use to control sea lice and disease, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

Wild sea bream is excellent (better than bass) I love this on holiday.

Here fresh Haddock, cod, halibut or dabs are good.

I really like Mackerel if I catch them myself but they must be eaten within a few hours of being caught.

I spent a few years of my life working on salmon farms. The trick is to boil them for a wee bit first(removes the excess fat and dye) then cook as you normally would.

I know what you mean about the colour of the salmon. About a month before we would start harvesting, we would assassinate a few random fish and assess the colour of them. Them we would phone the fish food comapny(ewos) and tell them the colouring of the fish and if we would need an adjustment of the pigment levels.

I also worked on a site that done organic salmon. The wife said it tasted lovely(I don't eat fish apart from tuna) but there was virtually no colour.

Private Womble

I spent a few years of my life working on salmon farms. The trick is to boil them for a wee bit first(removes the excess fat and dye) then cook as you normally would.

I know what you mean about the colour of the salmon. About a month before we would start harvesting, we would assassinate a few random fish and assess the colour of them. Them we would phone the fish food comapny(ewos) and tell them the colouring of the fish and if we would need an adjustment of the pigment levels.

I also worked on a site that done organic salmon. The wife said it tasted lovely(I don't eat fish apart from tuna) but there was virtually no colour.

Assassinating salmon :lol: conjured up a strange image in my head.

I love all fish, but my fave is smoked mackerel. Another favourite of mine is to get the finely sliced ready to eat raw salmon, wee bit of lemon juice and cracked black pepper, chop it up and serve with a wee bit spaghetti, a drizzle of olive oil and you're done - spectacular!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a scientist I love FISH which sadly stands for Fluorescent In Situ Hibridisation

Back on topic my fav real swimming fish is a trout.

shaun.lawson

Fried fish? Plaice first, rock second. Cod well adrift.

Fish cooked in any other way? Smoked haddock, every time. Mmm....

Also, a word for the humble swordfish and not so humble calamari. Both splendid. :thumbsup:

Alan Johnson

Had a great bit of turbot recently, pan fried in a lime, chilli and coriander butter with samphire and potatoes.

:shockio:

Love me a bit seafood. King prawns, scallops, mussels, calimari etc. - glorious. Only ones I won't eat are oysters, just do not get it.

Cairneyhill Jambo

Smoked haddock poached in milk and served with a poached egg and Golden Wonder potatoes. I could probably have this every day.

Tommy Wiseau

Never trust a man who doesn't like fish IMO.

Great shouts on this thread, especially the shellfish ones - love that shit. It's all about the sea bass for me though. I usually grill my sea bass very simply with lime juice and black pepper, but have recently discovered that you get a belter in tesco which has a chilli crust and a lemongrass sauce - delicious.

You'll get mercury poisoning!!

If it's good enough for Lincoln it's good enough for me :lol:

Nah I'll take my chances, if I start to feel weird I'll go to the doctors :(

Never trust a man who doesn't like fish IMO.

Great shouts on this thread, especially the shellfish ones - love that shit. It's all about the sea bass for me though. I usually grill my sea bass very simply with lime juice and black pepper, but have recently discovered that you get a belter in tesco which has a chilli crust and a lemongrass sauce - delicious.

Think I know the tesco one you speak of; delicious indeed!

I love most fish/seafood.

I got scallops as a starter and the smell was strong but it was a taste sensation.

I'm looking forward to getting a tin of Surstomming. A certain poster on here is getting me it.

jimmyjambo

love any kind of fish, had red snapper last night, bought them from Clarks in Musselburgh served on a bed of samphire with a fish sauce, the snapper was pretty tastless TBH, usually enjoy it when abroad tho

Love just about all kinds of fish - tuna, salmon, cod, monkfish, sole, mackerel, sea bass, halibut and swordfish being my favourites. Although I may love shellfish even more - lobster, oysters, crab, scallops, mussels, langoustines and prawns are all tremendous...this is making me hungry!!!

vegas-voss

Last fish i had in a restuarant was Red Snapper and it was amazing.Have not seen it on a menu since sadly.

Last fish i had in a restuarant was Red Snapper and it was amazing.Have not seen it on a menu since sadly.

Should this net not be in the ginger bursd thread?

Halibut.

Once walked into a 24 hour Spar in Wales and asked for some. The boy behind the counter claimed they had none. I accused them of hoarding it.

Was asked to leave.

There may have been a lot of alcohol involved.

Maybe they'd sold out because it was good enough for Jehovah.

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

Fried fish? Plaice first, rock second. Cod well adrift.

Fish cooked in any other way? Smoked haddock, every time. Mmm....

Also, a word for the humble swordfish and not so humble calamari. Both splendid. :thumbsup:

When done properly, calamari is one of the best things out there.

I love mussels as well. Had some in a mustard seed sauce the other night. Was surprisingly very good.

Archived