The Pound taking a pounding

Hugh Phamism

Hugh Phamism

The pound has dropped below $1,50 and is taking it hit against the ? and others.

If your heading abroad on your summer hols, everything just got a little more expensive.

Cue all the smuggies who bought their currency in advance...

jimmyjambo

Off to Thailand in a couple of weeks so been keeping an eye on the thai baht, its down to around 46.5 bht to the ?, :snobby:

Bollocks, me too. Although of what I've read up on it so far, you're much better getting your Thai currency while you're out there.

Explained well here http://www.tripadvis....And.Money.html

I agree its better to get the money out here... Gone though are the days of 70 baht to the pound when i first came here..

That was when Thailand was a cheap holiday

I agree its better to get the money out here... Gone though are the days of 70 baht to the pound when i first came here..

As a quick follow on.. Since i live in and usually use only Thai banks for my salary and withdrawing money i have never thought much..

However i was buying a new phone recently and i only had my Bank of Scotland One Credit Card instead of my debit card from the same bank.. anyway i took out 10000 baht, just over 200 quid.. then i was charged 180 baht from the Thai bank.. ok... then when i checked my account online to transfer money i was charged over 6 quid for a foreign transaction then another 6 quid for a transaction not in sterling.. robbing barstewards... of course if its a foreign transaction its normally not in sterling..

I won't make that mistake again..

These threads always make me wonder just how much money people spend on holidays. Since the start of June, the pound has dropped about 3% against the US dollar. If you are planning on spending ?1k on holiday in the US, for example, that only makes a difference of about 30 quid!

Hugh Phamism

These threads always make me wonder just how much money people spend on holidays. Since the start of June, the pound has dropped about 3% against the US dollar. If you are planning on spending ?1k on holiday in the US, for example, that only makes a difference of about 30 quid!

I kinda agree. I'm off to San Francusco next week and although I'm aware that things are slightly more expensive, I won't be saying 'no' to another pint just cause its 25c more.

Yes, people seem to get their panties in a twist over a few pence in the pound. If folk are spending enough to notice the difference then they can afford the small hit.

Jambo-Chappy

The pound has dropped below $1,50 and is taking it hit against the ? and others.

If your heading abroad on your summer hols, everything just got a little more expensive.

Cue all the smuggies who bought their currency in advance...

If you're off to Australia then the pound is presently buying about 20% more dollars than it was a few months ago. Oz$ is heading south at a great rate of knots.

It still is.

Archived