Do you judge a child/person by their name?

Captain Price

Captain Price

Don't watch This Morning so I never noticed, but recently on Facebook this controversy has been going about.

There are some names that I think are tacky as ****, but I would never ever ever judge a person, especially a child on their name that they never even chose themselves.

mattyw_1874

"I don't like children with locations as names" (or words to that effect)

Has a child called India

peter_hmfc

"You don't like geographical names (such as Brooklyn or London)?"

"No."

"You're child's named India."

7:43 is emoticon worthy, and 8:01.

Snake Plissken

I prefer judging people by their skin colour.

I'm joking.

The Great Khali

To be fair, if my bairn came home and said "my pal Maximillion is coming round to play" I'd tell them to **** off aswell.

Weird woman.

I think people clearly do.

It's more likely that a Jeremy or Tarquin are from money whereas Chantelle or Shaundelle are probably more likely to be from lower class backgrounds.

Although, I wouldn't have thought Tyler is that bad a name.

The Internet

Haha, just went on that video and top comment is:

this ***** shouldn't have been allowed to breed. Its people like her why ignorance and intolerance is still a thing in this world?

Looking forward to hearing her opinions.

Jesus christ, that was awful. I DON'T LIKE FOOTBALLERS NAMES :cornette:

I've genuinely never judged a person by their name. Although I once did hear of someone called La-a (pronounced Luhdasha) and a feeling of anger came over me but I wouldn't judge the person who has that name.

Sterling Archer

Of course I do, doesn't mean my opinion won't change after spending 5 minutes with the person.

Tyler-Durden.jpg

I'd rather the media just say "aye, sound hen"....and ignore dicks like these rather than giving them the attention they're obviously craving.

scottish_chicP

She is an absolute moron of a woman, the geographical/India comments show that. I have no idea why they even allow her air time.

I enjoyed the bit when she started sucking up to Holly to try and get her on side.

Lots of interesting Freakonomics stuff about this issue.

From what I remember their research suggests that 'different' named children go on to have 'worse' outcomes in life ... but this was mostly all due to the circumstances they lived in rather than the name being a predictor. Think that there have been attempts to show that the name is a predictor though.

As for the TV show ... gets the housewives talking and texting in I suppose. Holly looks good though.

Sterling Archer

Lots of interesting Freakonomics stuff about this issue.

From what I remember their research suggests that 'different' named children go on to have 'worse' outcomes in life ... but this was mostly all due to the circumstances they lived in rather than the name being a predictor. Think that there have been attempts to show that the name is a predictor though.

As for the TV show ... gets the housewives talking and texting in I suppose. Holly looks good though.

Freakonomics also pointed out how upper class names work down to become common and even predicted what the most popular names would be in ten years time (this was 2005).

While their lists are obviously very American it's interesting to see how close they look likely to be.

Boy's Names Girl's Names

Aidan Annika

Aldo Ansley

Anderson Ava

Ansel Avery

Asher Aviva

Beckett Clementine

Bennett Eleanora

Carter Ella

Cooper Emma

Finnegan Fiona

Harper Flannery

Jackson Grace

Johan Isabel

Keyon Kate

Liam Lara

Maximilian Linden

McGregor Maeve

Oliver Marie-Claire

Reagan Maya

Sander Philippa

Sumner Phoebe

Will Quinn

Sophie

Waverly

Tommy Wiseau

She is a vile little woman - like a Melanie Phillips but without the intelligence. Having seen her embarrassing performance on 10 O'Clock Live the other week, I honestly think she means what she says in her bigoted little rants. I met enough of her type in Edinburgh Uni Politics to know one when I see one.

That said, I defy anyone to look at a class register and not be able to predict, with a reasonable degree of accuracy, who the challenging pupils will be :ninja: However, that all stems from socio-economic links anyway - a mis-spelled name is always likely to come from a family background where the parent(s) have low literacy skills and therefore a poorer household.

Woman is an arsehole of the highest order. Was hoping Willo-booby punched her in the face.

:seething:

I only judge people called Keith, they are always complete *****!

Hahahaha. Waiting for the response.

My Left Nut

This hurts my feelings greatly! To be fair though I am a complete *****!

heartgarfunkel

Woman is an arsehole of the highest order. Was hoping Willo-booby punched her in the face.

:seething:

Katie looks like several hundred pugilists have already beaten Holly in administering blows to her coupon.

I P Knightley

Top notch trolling, love. Like it. Nice one.

:biglaugh:

She was quite convincing.

I'll never judge directly a child based on the name but I will judge the parents. In turn, I'll assume that the child of scuzzy parents will be more inclined to be scuzzy; similarly, the child of an insufferable snob is likely to be nothing but a pain in the arse. So indirectly, there is a point that woman could have made but selecting friends for her kids based purely on prejudice? What a horrid woman.

Still would, though.

Is that not that boot off the apprentice that was caught getting pumped in a field and bragged about getting pumped off married men.

PsychocAndy

What an ugly person that women was, not her face, well, but as a person.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

What's worse than her argument is the seethe this has created.

It's just one nobody off the apprentice trying to make a name for herself ffs. She probably doesn't even believe what she's saying but knows it will get her a bit of air time.

hughesie27

There was an India in one of my Uni classes. Posh trout who had to have everything explained to her in black and white. Twice.

Tidy though.

ISnt this the same wifey who caused a bit uproar by saying that mothers shouldn't be on maternity leave for longer than a few weeks?

Seems that after winning (I think) the apprentice she is going for the infamous celeb career. Expect to see her on Celeb BB next time round. Followed by I'm a celeb.

gorgiegirl

A woman that has had her children to different fathers, breaking up both marriages in the process....and got married on a reality show....

cosanostra

My grandad's name. :cry2:

Generic Username

A couple of things.

1) Her bairn won't be called "India" - when they shout on her it'll be "IndYA darling, IndYA"

2) Going by this scrotum faced woman's logic every single person on Made In Chelsea should be a brain surgeon given they've got welt-a-rific names like Binki or Hoofter, when in fact they are all cretins.

If she fell into an active volcano I'd no bat an eyelid.

Vincent B.A

Same name?

ah sorry yeh, it is the same woman, I just goggled it. I cant beleive she got shagged in a field off a married man and then goes on tv sputing this crap.

That definatly is the type of mother I'd like my childs friend to have.

I P Knightley

That definatly is the type of mother I'd like my childs friend to have.

Indeed. I need to find a school for my kids that's populated by hussy mummies.

hughesie27

A couple of things.

1) Her bairn won't be called "India" - when they shout on her it'll be "IndYA darling, IndYA"

2) Going by this scrotum faced woman's logic every single person on Made In Chelsea should be a brain surgeon given they've got welt-a-rific names like Binki or Hoofter, when in fact they are all cretins.

If she fell into an active volcano I'd no bat an eyelid.

Can't believe I am defending folk from Made in Chelsea but most of them do hold down decent, real jobs.

Of course that doesn't equate to being a decent human being though. But who cares when you are being spoon fed Caviare instead of Calpol?

hughesie27

Defends India because it isn't related to the country. Doesn't give other parents that chance though.

:facepalm:

One of my mates sent me a video yesterday of the same woman arguing about tattoos on This Morning and she must be trolling! Definitely trying to provoke some sort of reaction by being controversial so people know her name and, to be fair, it's working!

On topic, somebody was telling me a story the other day and said "my mate Tarquin"... He was judged.

I wouldn't judge children by their names though! Just the parents.

Alan Johnson

Fortunately my life isn't mundane enough to need to resort to reality TV, so I had no idea who this boot was until I saw the clip. Was there any genuine purpose behind her appearance other than this rant, or was it just to try to drum up some interest in what looks like a fairly dire show?

Bairn used to play with a wee laddie called Rambo in the park, (Swear down). Never had a minutes bother with him or his folks. I'm am a fan of naming your child after the place they were conceived.

My son, McDonald's Toilets isn't so keen :cheesy:

Attention seeking drone with no discernible talent. Did she not knock Sir Al back when she was in pole position for the Apprentice job cos of childcare issues or some such?

white-chicks-2-20090817025758755.jpg

Katie Hopkins (twice for some reason. dunno why)

_h353_w628_m6_otrue_lfalse.jpg

Marlon Wayans in White Chicks

Franklin Delano Bluth

Kickback in biting shocker.

She's just trolling lads leave her be.

Caspian Primrose

i've seen quite a bit of This Morning recently and i have to say that women is quite simply a magnificent troll. different class.

mind a few weeks ago she was making a point and the phone vote came out heavily against her. she basically turned round and said "well all my kind of people will be out at work not lazing about the house all day". bet the housewives were spewing with that. top trolling.

Generic Username

The worst part of this particular episode was the fact that Hollie dame didn't get her paps out.

Governor Tarkin

Top notch trolling, love. Like it. Nice one.

Absolutely :)

Archived