Jump to content
cosanostra

What are you Listening to Right Now?

Recommended Posts

JamboAndrew
12 minutes ago, frankblack said:

 

There is still a lot of good stuff out there if you dig through the crap.

 

Really liking Greg Dulli's solo album.  The new Mark Lanegan album is on order.  Pearl Jam's new album is growing on me.  I've got a signed copy of the deluxe Paradise Lost album Obsidian to rip soon and listen.

 

In terms of newish bands, I quite like the first Dream Wife album, albums by DIIV, Wolf Alice, and have Hayley Williams' solo album to rip.

 

I must admit I have been filling a lot of gaps in my collections and getting into bands I was aware of in the late 80s and 90s (King Diamond and Mercyful Fate, Vain, Love/Hate), but don't restrict yourself to just the old stuff as you will miss out.

Good points. I'll give DIIV and Hayley Williams a spin.

 

Saw Wolf Alice live. They only seemed to have two songs and played these on repeat for the whole show. Should probably listen to a whole album though.

 

I'm discounting folk like Pearl Jam and Mark Lanegan as they are from the 90s and still doing 90s music.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
frankblack
40 minutes ago, JamboAndrew said:

Good points. I'll give DIIV and Hayley Williams a spin.

 

Saw Wolf Alice live. They only seemed to have two songs and played these on repeat for the whole show. Should probably listen to a whole album though.

 

I'm discounting folk like Pearl Jam and Mark Lanegan as they are from the 90s and still doing 90s music.

 

The Screaming Trees debut was actually 1986!  Pearl Jam's roots go back to the 80s too with Green River and Mother Love Bone.

 

Wolf Alice have two albums and a few EPs.  I saw them support Foo Fighters a few years back in London and really enjoyed them.  The guitarist has released an album with profits going to charities.

 

If you like your Indie Guitar rock, The Big Moon are pretty good with two decent albums.

 

I need to listen to the new album by Brian Fallon too (Gaslight Anthem singer).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Baldwigforjack

Been listening to Elliott Smith for the first time in a few years also watched the documentary Elliott Smith:Heaven Adores You.

 

Thoroughly recommended for those who like a music career related documentary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AWM

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JamboAndrew
1 hour ago, frankblack said:

 

The Screaming Trees debut was actually 1986!  Pearl Jam's roots go back to the 80s too with Green River and Mother Love Bone.

 

Wolf Alice have two albums and a few EPs.  I saw them support Foo Fighters a few years back in London and really enjoyed them.  The guitarist has released an album with profits going to charities.

 

If you like your Indie Guitar rock, The Big Moon are pretty good with two decent albums.

 

I need to listen to the new album by Brian Fallon too (Gaslight Anthem singer).

Brilliant, thanks.

 

Jesus time flies. Screaming trees had some great songs but I always thought of them as a 90s band.

 

I'll add them to the playlist for today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dagger Is Back

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dagger Is Back

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dagger Is Back

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jingle Bells
On 19/05/2020 at 23:57, JamboAndrew said:

 

Much appreciated. And agree with you. Seems to be going back the way I find better songs.

 

Nothing says turn the bass up to 11 more than Motorhead.

 

I think social media means everyone can get 5 mins of fame so they don't work as hard. Bands like Maiden were doing 300 shows a year when they were new on the scene. And that was pub and toilet venues.

Pleasure,
It's a good thread for learning about new Bands and older Bands that you might have missed or forgotten about.
The thing about Blues Orientated Rock(Deep Purple etc))was they had a Jazz upbringing, which helped with improvisation when playing live..
I saw Iron Maiden live at the Ruskin Arms, East Ham,I think,, in the 1980s when they used aliases to warm up for Tours.
A lot of  music is recycled (rifts etc) and then done in a different way so it adds an interest to discover whose pinched from whom, when going back the way.
Edited by Jingle Bells
error

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JamboAndrew
Just now, Jingle Bells said:
Pleasure,
It's a good thread for learning about new Bands and older Bands that you might have missed or forgotten about.
The thing about Blues Orientated Rock(Deep Purple etc))was they had a Jazz upbringing, which helped with improvisation when playing live..
I saw Iron Maiden live at the Ruskin Arms, East Ham,I think,, in the 1980s when they used aliases to warm up for Tours.
A lot  music is recycled (rifts etc) and then done in a different way so it adds an interest to discover whose pinched from whom, when going back the way.

 

Very true on the recycled bit. But I see folk knicking a small maiden riff and it being their whole song. Deep Purple or Maiden songs tend to have the same amount of tunes on one song as the entirety any of the new rock albums I've heard recently.

 

The greats of the 80s and 90s had huge and obvious blues and jazz influences. My favourite drummer Jimmy Chamberlain is a jazz drummer originally.

 

The main influence I'm feeling if I ever hear the radio is advertising jingles. 

 

Jesus I sound like a boring middle aged guy reflecting on the good old days. But show me the modern Maiden, Zeppelin, Purple etc...

 

The closest I see to complex but accessible songwriting is Biffy Clyro. Who were great when I saw them in the early days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jingle Bells

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jingle Bells

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jingle Bells
1 hour ago, JamboAndrew said:

 

Very true on the recycled bit. But I see folk knicking a small maiden riff and it being their whole song. Deep Purple or Maiden songs tend to have the same amount of tunes on one song as the entirety any of the new rock albums I've heard recently.

 

The greats of the 80s and 90s had huge and obvious blues and jazz influences. My favourite drummer Jimmy Chamberlain is a jazz drummer originally.

 

The main influence I'm feeling if I ever hear the radio is advertising jingles. 

 

Jesus I sound like a boring middle aged guy reflecting on the good old days. But show me the modern Maiden, Zeppelin, Purple etc...

 

The closest I see to complex but accessible songwriting is Biffy Clyro. Who were great when I saw them in the early days.

-Not at all, I do worry where the next generation of Rock Royalty is coming from.
I had forgotten about the Pumpkins, thanks.
Right off to work..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
whodanny

The Who Sell Out, stereo mix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
frankblack
1 hour ago, whodanny said:

The Who Sell Out, stereo mix.

 

Paste the video.

 

Go to youtube - if its on a browser, copy the url and paste it here and it should become a video.  If using the app, press the share icon (right pointing arrow), select "copy to clipboard" and paste it here and it becomes a video.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
whodanny
57 minutes ago, frankblack said:

 

Paste the video.

 

Go to youtube - if its on a browser, copy the url and paste it here and it should become a video.  If using the app, press the share icon (right pointing arrow), select "copy to clipboard" and paste it here and it becomes a video.

I know how to paste a video !  The Who Sell Out is an entire album from 1967, there are two different mixes from that time, one in stereo and one mono. The mono has a much more punchy and aggressive feel to it, the stereo is much more widescreen and slightly psychedelic in feel. I doubt if both complete mixes are on You Tube but if it makes you happy I'll have a look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
whodanny

Well, you're in luck, here are both mixes as a playlist. Turn it up !

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
frankblack
1 hour ago, whodanny said:

I know how to paste a video !  The Who Sell Out is an entire album from 1967, there are two different mixes from that time, one in stereo and one mono. The mono has a much more punchy and aggressive feel to it, the stereo is much more widescreen and slightly psychedelic in feel. I doubt if both complete mixes are on You Tube but if it makes you happy I'll have a look.

 

You would be surprised at the amount of people that can't manage to paste a video!

 

As for The Who, I still have a signed copy of their new CD to rip in my backlog of CDs.  One good thing coming out of the lockdown is that I'm not far catching up!

 

I got a signed copy of Roger Daltrey's last album, and he didn't sign the The Who CDs.

 

I didn't bother getting a ticket for The Hydro gig - tickets were way overpriced.  Saw them at Hyde Park several years ago with a great supporting line up including Weller, Johnny Marr, Gaz Coombes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
whodanny
2 hours ago, frankblack said:

 

You would be surprised at the amount of people that can't manage to paste a video!

 

As for The Who, I still have a signed copy of their new CD to rip in my backlog of CDs.  One good thing coming out of the lockdown is that I'm not far catching up!

 

I got a signed copy of Roger Daltrey's last album, and he didn't sign the The Who CDs.

 

I didn't bother getting a ticket for The Hydro gig - tickets were way overpriced.  Saw them at Hyde Park several years ago with a great supporting line up including Weller, Johnny Marr, Gaz Coombes.

Good stuff. I've lost count of the number of times I've seen The Who, it dates back to October 1975 at the Apollo in Glasgow. Being a bit of a collector I've got quite a number of signed items including two different versions of the latest album signed by Townshend. I was very pleasantly surprised by the new album, it's way better than Endless Wire for me, a really good late career effort. Roger's last solo album is one of his best too, I've got that on red, blue and black vinyl. (Yeah, I know, my wife thinks I'm nuts too. But I've always been a record collector, since my early teens.) I do have a couple of tickets for the Hydro gig but I'm begining to doubt that even the re-scheduled date will happen in March next year. Just can't see 12,000 at a show in the Hydro by then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dagger Is Back
24 minutes ago, AWM said:

 

 

Got tickets for November in Glasgow. Clinging on to a faint hope that it will be on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AWM
2 hours ago, Dagger Is Back said:

 

Got tickets for November in Glasgow. Clinging on to a faint hope that it will be on

 

Same here.  I'm not optimistic I'll be seeing any gigs this year.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dagger Is Back
10 minutes ago, AWM said:

 

Same here.  I'm not optimistic I'll be seeing any gigs this year.

 


Another good choice. I know I had a few lined up too. BSC at the Usher Hall I’m sure you’ll have had a few too. Hopefully rescheduled and not cancelled 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jingle Bells

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jingle Bells

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jingle Bells
22 hours ago, AWM said:
Cheers AWM, one of my favs.
Luv Dave Murray's guitar  playing,btw.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dagger Is Back

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dagger Is Back

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
neilnunb

In honour of Mory Kante who has died 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Madjambo21

Reminds me of 2000's pop punk.

Thought he only done rap music but this is a catchy tune.

Even got Travis from Blink 182 on drums.

Also any video with Megan Fox is a must watch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jingle Bells

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jingle Bells

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dagger Is Back

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dagger Is Back

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tedarmy

happy birthday charlie harper. 76 years young

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...