Abu Dhabi for work

Gershwin

Anyone work/worked over there?

A few recruiters have been in touch about a job opening and I have to say it's rather tempting to see what happens. The money and tax free situation are certainly the main draw but it's not something I've ever really considered.

Just looking for people's thoughts on relocation/living etc.

Dr. Bapswent

Ive been out there on work...but not moved

From those i know, its a great place to go for a while, make some cash, enjoy the sun (when its not too hot) but not a great place to live.

A definite culture shock for sure.

But if the plan is to go, make some cash then move on - its a good place for that.

Forget Dubai, Abu Dhabi is where all the money now is, Dubai is broke.

Ive been out there on work...but not moved

From those i know, its a great place to go for a while, make some cash, enjoy the sun (when its not too hot) but not a great place to live.

A definite culture shock for sure.

But if the plan is to go, make some cash then move on - its a good place for that.

Forget Dubai, Abu Dhabi is where all the money now is, Dubai is broke.

Yeah, I'd think about doing it for a year I reckon.

Dr. Bapswent

Yeah, I'd think about doing it for a year I reckon.

Then I think its worth considering.... a year will fly by and if that's always the intention, you probably wont get bogged down in the bad things too much.

Itll be like a long very weird but very interesting holiday.

Then I think its worth considering.... a year will fly by and if that's always the intention, you probably wont get bogged down in the bad things too much.

Itll be like a long very weird but very interesting holiday.

So what are the bad things then?!?

It's a funny one...I've never hugely been driven by money but the opportunity to coin it in for a year then come back to London and buy is rather appealing. Many other factors to consider anyway...

jambotony

What are you thinking of doing? I lived In Shanghai for 3 years and Istanbul for a year so can thoroughly recommend something like this. Work hard, play harder and save some money.

Dr. Bapswent

So what are the bad things then?!?

It's a funny one...I've never hugely been driven by money but the opportunity to coin it in for a year then come back to London and buy is rather appealing. Many other factors to consider anyway...

Bizarre Bureaucracies... red tape.... different work ethic.... overbearing sun and heat (to the point you cant go out).....constant need for air conditioning..... everything is false...... and ethical issues such as dubious and hidden human rights issues.

Not the sort of thing to care about in the short term..but long term they have a bearing.

Jambomuzz

My dad worked there for a year after a year in Oman. I remember him tellin me he got a pretty significant wage rise as the cost of renting a 1 bedroom flat was around ?2000 a month!!! Bear that in mind!

What are you thinking of doing? I lived In Shanghai for 3 years and Istanbul for a year so can thoroughly recommend something like this. Work hard, play harder and save some money.

I'm a writer/creative at an ad agency. Would be doing the same thing over there.

Anyone work/worked over there?

A few recruiters have been in touch about a job opening and I have to say it's rather tempting to see what happens. The money and tax free situation are certainly the main draw but it's not something I've ever really considered.

Just looking for people's thoughts on relocation/living etc.

I,m in Bahrain mate,heard a lot of good things about Abu Dhabi,and know a couple of Jambo,s who are there now working.

Bizarre Bureaucracies... red tape.... different work ethic.... overbearing sun and heat (to the point you cant go out).....constant need for air conditioning..... everything is false...... and ethical issues such as dubious and hidden human rights issues.

Not the sort of thing to care about in the short term..but long term they have a bearing.

Ha, I can barley cope in the London sun :vrface:

So what's the work ethic like? Longer hours?

Intrigued by the human rights issues too!

A few years ago I came very close to taking a job in Saudi Arabia at the King Abdullah University which was a brand new Uni with huge funding (only behind Harvard & Yale). Was going to be 10 weeks on, 2 off with the cost of flights to the UK reimbursed even if I decided to go elsewhere on my fortnight off. They were going to be paying roughly 4.5 times what I get here plus an expenses allowance of $500 per week which would have initially covered my hotel costs but after 3 months I would have been moved onto the University Campus and have a paid for apartment so the $500 per week would have just been to cover food!

At the time I would have jumped at the chance but now that I'm not single and with the increased unrest in the area I would take a lot more convincing!

Saying that, if the job hadn't fallen through I'm not sure what would have killed me first, the sun over there or coming back after 10 weeks without a drink and ?k's burning a hole in my pocket!

Mr Scruff

I suppose it depends on how secure your job is in the UK and how confident you would be coming back to the same/a similar role after a year overseas. Also your personal situation, partner, kids etc.

Personally I would go for it if it was me, great addition to your CV and another life experience.

Yeah. It really depends on your personal situation. I did single at was fine not sure I would do with family.

It opened a lot of doors me and got me experience and I would never have got in uk.

Have you been out for a look?

Nah, it's at a very, very early stage (just an email from a couple of recruiters about it) so it's not exactly a solid job offer. In fact it's not even a job offer at all!!! Just thought I'd see what peoples thoughts were.

I've never even considered at holiday out there to be honest.

CostaJambo

Nah, it's at a very, very early stage (just an email from a couple of recruiters about it) so it's not exactly a solid job offer. In fact it's not even a job offer at all!!! Just thought I'd see what peoples thoughts were.

I've never even considered at holiday out there to be honest.

Spent 15 years living in the Middle East. Never worked in Abu Dhabi but would be quite happy to if the right job came up. As you rightly say, it is very early stages but worth checking up on in case it comes off.

Is it a local agency or a branch of an international one? A few of the local firms are not generally as punctual at paying salaries come the end of the month.

Jambothump

I worked 6 months in Oman in 1985, 6 X 12 hour shifts for first four months, then 7 X 12 hours shifts per week, pretty hard going, an experience I could have got out of but didn't. Paid well and worked hard, we did get to see some of the country, but you are getting paid for what you can do for them, it must always come first when working to an enhanced salary, abroad in particular.

jt

You should defo do it, i've been working in KL for the last year, best decision of my life!

Only some hotels allow drink in Abu Dhabi though so would be quite different, however all the expats swarm to these places at the weekend.

RICHARD THE LION HEART

My ex work mate just moved across there last month.....working at New York University..........all transport and packing paid for........got accommodation for 3 months paid up........one draw back is that you have to apply for a drink licence to allow you to buy bevy...I think they keep tabs on what you purchase.......another thing worth keeping in mind is to keep paying your NI here.....keeps the pension on going when(if) you plan to come back to the UK..............she is getting along great and is off to a mini TITP on the beach this weekend :)

Spent 15 years living in the Middle East. Never worked in Abu Dhabi but would be quite happy to if the right job came up. As you rightly say, it is very early stages but worth checking up on in case it comes off.

Is it a local agency or a branch of an international one? A few of the local firms are not generally as punctual at paying salaries come the end of the month.

Think it's a fairly big global network agency - not sure which one though. That's one of the draw backs for me though. I already work for a pretty big agency and I'd prefer to go back to a smaller place.

It's well worth careful consideration. I've been here for 8 years now. It's great working in a very multicultural environment. Although that may depend who you work for.

It's fair to say that Abu Dhabi lends itself more to family rather than single life. Guys who come out with wife and kids tend to love it and never leave!

About the drink situation that a few guys mention, it's really pretty free. Plenty bars to choose from, although most are in hotels. You are supposed to have a license to buy from the off license, but there's plenty of places that ask no questions.

Bear in mind that you may end up here for longer thank you think! It's a pretty decent place to live, you'll have stacks of disposable income, sunshine and a new perspective on things...

Gimme a shout if you want more info...

CostaJambo

Think it's a fairly big global network agency - not sure which one though. That's one of the draw backs for me though. I already work for a pretty big agency and I'd prefer to go back to a smaller place.

Bit of a generalisation but you would probably be better off going to the Middle East for a first overseas job with a bigger agency than a small/local one for a variety of reasons. If you get an offer and want any advice about how far you can push it feel free to PM me. Bear in mind EVERYTHING is negotiable (accommodation, health insurance, car, flights, overtime, bonus etc. etc. and if they say one of these is a definite 'no' it can sometimes be traded off against a 'yes' elsewhere.).

kingantti1874

It's well worth careful consideration. I've been here for 8 years now. It's great working in a very multicultural environment. Although that may depend who you work for.

It's fair to say that Abu Dhabi lends itself more to family rather than single life. Guys who come out with wife and kids tend to love it and never leave!

About the drink situation that a few guys mention, it's really pretty free. Plenty bars to choose from, although most are in hotels. You are supposed to have a license to buy from the off license, but there's plenty of places that ask no questions.

Bear in mind that you may end up here for longer thank you think! It's a pretty decent place to live, you'll have stacks of disposable income, sunshine and a new perspective on things...

What do you do out of interest?

Thanks very much for the offer (and to everyone else for their thoughts). Not in a serious relationship myself but the guy I work with would have to uproot his girlfriend. Might seem a bit weird but in my industry we work in teams of two (Art Director and Writer) and we'd get hired as a team. Makes sense too as we've been quite successful together. Reckon he might take some convincing if we were actually to move but I reckon it would be a good experience to at least interview for the thing.

Bit of a generalisation but you would probably be better off going to the Middle East for a first overseas job with a bigger agency than a small/local one for a variety of reasons. If you get an offer and want any advice about how far you can push it feel free to PM me. Bear in mind EVERYTHING is negotiable (accommodation, health insurance, car, flights, overtime, bonus etc. etc. and if they say one of these is a definite 'no' it can sometimes be traded off against a 'yes' elsewhere.).

Will definitely take you up on the negotiation PM if it gets that far. Health insurance/medical is a big deal for me because I'm Type-1 Diabetic but I'd certainly be looking to get the most out of this financially.

I work for one of the sovereign wealth funds, (we're managing the investment funds of the country / government).

I work for one of the sovereign wealth funds, (we're managing the investment funds of the country / government).

You should be fine for health insurance as it's required for the residence visa anyway. Best to check that they give you a good coverage though as most of the health care is private and expensive. Many employers cover everything.

Another consideration is that dubai is only 1 hour drive away which opens up more opportunities for weekends etc as Abu Dhabi can be a little quiet for some.

Someone commented along the lines of dubai being dead, that's no longer the case at all as it has recovered well from its problems and is bustling again. However it is true that the real money is in Abu Dhabi.

You should be fine for health insurance as it's required for the residence visa anyway. Best to check that they give you a good coverage though as most of the health care is private and expensive. Many employers cover everything.

Another consideration is that dubai is only 1 hour drive away which opens up more opportunities for weekends etc as Abu Dhabi can be a little quiet for some.

Someone commented along the lines of dubai being dead, that's no longer the case at all as it has recovered well from its problems and is bustling again. However it is true that the real money is in Abu Dhabi.

Is there any contract work available on the fund management side out there at the moment Doddsy?

Contract work in fund management is not that common here given the often unusually long investment horizon, although not unheard of...

There's often quite a bit going in the HR field here as there is a real desire to develop the local workforce in particular.

A whole new toolkit required for that though!

If your still young (under 35) without kids or a family, I would say go for it. Go out for 2-3 years, save a load of money and experience a new culture. Then come back with a nice nest egg of money

There's often quite a bit going in the HR field here as there is a real desire to develop the local workforce in particular.

A whole new toolkit required for that though!

Tempting indeed!!!

My work is restructuring again and although I know my jobs safe, I'm getting itchy feet. Prospects of climbing above where I'm at just now where I am are low and being qualified I fancy a change.

Not totally convinced by that tbh. The happiest guys I've seen here are those with young families. There are better places for a young man about town than Abu Dhabi.

However life is what you make it so your suggestion can work too...

I can't recommend highly enough to take opportunities that arise and change your perspective if the chance arrives.

Also it's a great location if you like travel as you can get around easily from here.

My last post was in response to Oak88. Just read it back and it doesn't make much sense when I see it. That's what I get for posting under the influence ;-)

Archived