UK Citizenship Ceremony

Konrad von Carstein

Konrad von Carstein

Attended my g/f's ceremony today...was a bit of an eye opener on many levels.

I witnessed people crying as they were called up to receive their certificate and saw parents of Asian and Middle Eastern children beaming with pride as their children were called forward.

All around the room there was an air of positivity and pride in what they were going through and in what they had achieved.

At face value these people were proud to have achieved their goal and will be valuable, contributory members of our society.

Balance that against the council staff member who laughed as she couldn't pronounce peoples names at registration and made an @rse of herself as she attempted several times to offer a version of what she thought it was and seemed unaware that she could've asked how to pronounce it as she was unsure. This was the same person who during the actual ceremony found it difficult to say the words "Citizenship Ceremony".

Also made me think of the culture of running our country and the Royals* etc down...we have a good thing here it's a shame that some British born people spend so much time running the country down or are only out to get what they can from the "system".

*not that I'm their biggest fan, but they were a factor in today's proceedings.

Konrad von Carstein

It is a test on your knowledge of British culture, life, history etc that you pay a fair wedge of cash to sit, you have to be living in the UK for a period of time (5 year IIRC) before you can sit the test.

Konrad von Carstein

May I ask where your girlfriend is from? Is her name difficult to pronounce?

Not sure if you are being obtuse as a result of our brief encounter in the Private Education thread but, yes, yes you can.

She is Polish and her name is easy to pronounce....but if you use the English pronunciation of the letters that spell it, then it sounds ridiculous. At this point I should add that after guffing around she eventually asked how it should be pronounced which was fine, until she blindly stumbled through the whole embarrassing process again with the next person registering.

Sergio Garcia

Surely it would be wise to just quickly ask how its pronounced, thats what I have always done with names that are tough to pronounce.

Konrad von Carstein

Surely it would be wise to just quickly ask how its pronounced, thats what I have always done with names that are tough to pronounce.

You would think eh? Especially when representing the UK government etc!!

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Touching story, Bruce. I'm glad it meant a lot to your partner and you. Genuinely.

However, I want independence for Scotland and would like to disband the Monarchy.

Genuine question here.

Would it not have meant just as much if the ceremony was for becoming a Scottish Citizen, in an independent Scotland, with all the same privileges, benefits and history?

Congrats to your g/f either way. :thumb:

Not sure if you are being obtuse as a result of our brief encounter in the Private Education thread but, yes, yes you can.

She is Polish and her name is easy to pronounce....but if you use the English pronunciation of the letters that spell it, then it sounds ridiculous. At this point I should add that after guffing around she eventually asked how it should be pronounced which was fine, until she blindly stumbled through the whole embarrassing process again with the next person registering.

I don't remember you from that thread, sorry.

Good luck to your girlfriend, she knows more about the UK than most MPs, and settling in another country is not an easy option. :pleased:

Good on your lady. Can I ask why a Polish national wanted British citizenship? Genuine question.

I have Japanese friends that recently done this and I know the whole thing costs a fair wedge, I'm just curious as to whether there is an actual benefit for another European citizen. Incidently I have a Canadian friend that's married to an English girl and he keeps on pissing around with visas and indefinite leave to stay which has got him in a pickle or two. It's also expensive

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Good on your lady. Can I ask why a Polish national wanted British citizenship? Genuine question.

I have Japanese friends that recently done this and I know the whole thing costs a fair wedge, I'm just curious as to whether there is an actual benefit for another European citizen. Incidently I have a Canadian friend that's married to an English girl and he keeps on pissing around with visas and indefinite leave to stay which has got him in a pickle or two. It's also expensive

If the government pull the UK out of the EU, then that dual nationality will be very important, if they want to settle and have a family here.

Konrad von Carstein

Touching story, Bruce. I'm glad it meant a lot to your partner and you. Genuinely.

However, I want independence for Scotland and would like to disband the Monarchy.

Genuine question here.

Would it not have meant just as much if the ceremony was for becoming a Scottish Citizen, in an independent Scotland, with all the same privileges, benefits and history?

Congrats to your g/f either way. :thumb:

She lives here so if it was a ceremony for Scottish citizenship then yes it would have.

Thanks for the congrats :)

I don't remember you from that thread, sorry.

Good luck to your girlfriend, she knows more about the UK than most MPs, and settling in another country is not an easy option. :pleased:

I'm "kinda" glad you don't remember me (I was a dick!) and she knows more about the UK than me TBH, based on the tests and settling in a foreign country is probably the hardest thing you could do in life (unless you want to live in an ex-pat ghetto)

Konrad von Carstein

With regard to the g/f it was almost point of principle, she lives here, contributes via taxes etc and left Poland for her own reasons and wanted to have UK citizen status. I am both proud and humbled by her resolve in achieving this today....

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Good on you both. Ken loads of Poles, all really sound. The more mixing of the Scottish gene pool the better. :)

Bonnie Prince Charlie

It is a test on your knowledge of British culture, life, history etc that you pay a fair wedge of cash to sit, you have to be living in the UK for a period of time (5 year IIRC) before you can sit the test.

The test is a lot of irrelevant crap. I have tried it online several times and only got a pass mark once. I am a well educated guy from Scotland; you have to get 18 out of 24 to pass. And the 5 year thing is crap as my wife had to sit the test after 2 years. May they have changed the time limit now?

If the government pull the UK out of the EU, then that dual nationality will be very important, if they want to settle and have a family here.

I can see that side to it but I don't think it would be a worry for anyone. Britain will always be pro immigration and proud of the diversity it brings. I'd think that would effect British nationals that currently live elsewhere in Europe more.

With regard to the g/f it was almost point of principle, she lives here, contributes via taxes etc and left Poland for her own reasons and wanted to have UK citizen status. I am both proud and humbled by her resolve in achieving this today....

That's quite possibly the best reason I've ever heard for such a deed!

Konrad von Carstein

The test is a lot of irrelevant crap. I have tried it online several times and only got a pass mark once. I am a well educated guy from Scotland; you have to get 18 out of 24 to pass. And the 5 year thing is crap as my wife had to sit the test after 2 years. May they have changed the time limit now?

Quiet an angry post...test can be done anytime (I would fail), application for citizenship you must be resident for minimum 6 years.......kin hell :(

That Guardian test was a piece of piss. I imagine there is more pressing questions in the full version?

In general I think the citizenship test is a good thing. My stepdad sat it and seemed to find it worthwhile and rewarding.

I think more emphasis should be placed on language skills though. Being able to communicate with people effectively does far more to aid integration and a sense of belonging than being able to memorize some facts that 90% of British people probably wouldn't know :lol:

Thought I'd fail but got 10/10.

I got 8/10. I've tried the real thing online a few times and never got more than 30%

I got 8/10. I've tried the real thing online a few times and never got more than 30%

I'm sure a large percentage of British citizens would fail the official test if they had to sit it.

http://www.ukcitizenshiptest.co.uk/

You have failed the practice citizenship test.

Questions answered correctly: 12 out of 24 (50%)

Time taken: 04 minutes 27 seconds

Please select 'Test summary' for a full summary of your test and for advice on how to use the Official Handbook and Study Guide to prepare for the actual test.

Please note: At the end of the actual test, your answers will not be displayed on screen. At the end of the test session the test supervisor will tell you whether you have passed or not.

:(

Daydream Believer

My g/f is Polish too. She came here when she was 5 which was 27 years ago and has a degree in English and Classics from Edinburgh and a decent professional job.

When I look at some of the scottish/brittish people kicking around who don't have to bother with the citizenship test while my g/f does, it makes me laugh.

Tommy Wiseau

Wouldn't worry about failing the official citizenship practise test. Half the questions are out of date.

Wouldn't worry about failing the official citizenship practise test. Half the questions are out of date.

Noticed that actually. The free prescription question springs to mind!

scott_jambo

Noticed that actually. The free prescription question springs to mind!

Regardless, it doesn't take into account devolution of powers to Scotland.

Tommy Wiseau

Regardless, it doesn't take into account devolution of powers to Scotland.

Not even that. It thinks there are still 646 seats in parliament. :vlad-stupid:

My g/f is Polish too. She came here when she was 5 which was 27 years ago and has a degree in English and Classics from Edinburgh and a decent professional job.

When I look at some of the scottish/brittish people kicking around who don't have to bother with the citizenship test while my g/f does, it makes me laugh.

Does/did your g/f have to take the test?

My wife is Polish and has been here since she was five but we were able to marry without her getting British citizenship.

Kalamazoo Jambo

Bloody Britishers. Staying where they are, stealing our jobs :(

Kalamazoo Jambo

Is the citizenship test available in any other language other than English? Genuine question.

Not just English - Welsh & Gaelic too. But that's it.

Jimmy McNulty

Noticed same here in Canada - often immigrants such as myself show more pride in being Canadian than those born here...

A Boy Named Crow

Noticed same here in Canada - often immigrants such as myself show more pride in being Canadian than those born here...

I have a South African mate who passed the test a year or two ago - he's certainly the most flag waving Brit I've ever met!

I have a South African mate who passed the test a year or two ago - he's certainly the most flag waving Brit I've ever met!

But does he have diplomatic immunity?? :curtain:

Great. That's aw we need. Another foriegner takin aw oor joabs ::troll:::'>

Sergio Garcia

10 out of 10 for the Guardian test.

10 out of 24 for the online test but I imagine if you scanned the official handbook and study guide it would be a piece of piss.

Jambo-Chappy

I became an Australian citizen after being there for twelve years. I missed the ceremony due to work commitments and later turned up at a government office, read the oath and the govt. bloke, (a little Chinaman), wished me good luck and told me to behave myself. Once you are a citizen of a country, you have the benefit of consuls etc overseas, and you can't be deported from a country of which you are a citizen. The occasional case comes up where people who commit crimes are deported back to their country of origin even if they've lived in the country for decades.

10 out of 10 for the Guardian test.

10 out of 24 for the online test but I imagine if you scanned the official handbook and study guide it would be a piece of piss.

10 out of 10 and 11 out of 24. I'd imagine most people would pass if they had only seen the study guide for 10 mins.

Daydream Believer

Does/did your g/f have to take the test?

My wife is Polish and has been here since she was five but we were able to marry without her getting British citizenship.

Not to get married mate, just to make life easier with certain things. Renewing her Polish passport for example was a 12 month kafaesque nightmare.

The other benefits it would grant the G/F is that now she can actually vote on what her taxes are spent on.

My missus has been here for 12 years now and still can't vote for who sits at Westminster.

Nice to hear KvC.

As a side note, some probably know Mrs Chester is a Slovak. She considered this (she's been here 13 years now) and decided it wasnt worth it. That might change if the erseholes at Westminster pull out the EU (though I guess they'll have a similar status as the likes of Norway). Was there any other advantages of doing this?

The other benefits it would grant the G/F is that now she can actually vote on what her taxes are spent on.

My missus has been here for 12 years now and still can't vote for who sits at Westminster.

Where does your Mrs come from? If its an EU/EEA country, she'll get to vote in nearly every other election.

My Mrs isnt too bothered, though I told if she was to vote Tory, she can pack her bags. :lol:

Stuart McNeill

I don't see how a knowledge of British history helps you get citizenship, a waste of time tbh.

I would definitely fail and I've been here my whole life.

Just seems pointless, waste of time and money!

Where does your Mrs come from? If its an EU/EEA country, she'll get to vote in nearly every other election.

My Mrs isnt too bothered, though I told if she was to vote Tory, she can pack her bags. :lol:

Germany, so she does vote in the Scottish and European ones.

Archived