?2 coins

BoJack Horseman

BoJack Horseman

I hate them. They're absolutely useless. What purpose do they serve? Self serve at Tesco keeps spitting them at me when I'm trying to get change for a bus. Ragin.

Also, coppers. Why do we still have them? Get rid of ?2, 2p, 1p and even 5p coins. 10p, 20p, 50p and ?1 is plenty.

if you had 3 twenty pence coins and paid for a 57 pence item how could you get change without the invention of coppers? Unless you suggest we round everything up?

I hate them. They're absolutely useless. What purpose do they serve? Self serve at Tesco keeps spitting them at me when I'm trying to get change for a bus. Ragin.

Also, coppers. Why do we still have them? Get rid of ?2, 2p, 1p and even 5p coins. 10p, 20p, 50p and ?1 is plenty.

Nothing wrong with a good ?2 coin.

BoJack Horseman

if you had 3 twenty pence coins and paid for a 57 pence item how could you get change without the invention of coppers? Unless you suggest we round everything up?

That's exactly what I'm suggesting. There's no need for anything to cost 57p. 60p is fine. I'd happily pay up to 9p extra on my shopping to avoid any coppers.

Where would it end though?

Once everything was rounded up what's to say you'll not like all the silver shrapnel?

We'd have to buy 10 penny chews even if we only wanted 1.

Australia and New Zealand removed 1 and 2 cent pieces from circulation a while ago and people didn't seem to mind. Obviously they are worth less in comparison but as we earn more and spend more than we did in years previously then it is inevitable some day.

A lot of government take the view that if it cost more to produce and maintain a supply if a denomination then it's not worth keeping quite rightly so.

USA will be getting close to getting rid of 1c soon is imagine.

There was quite an interesting article recently on bbc website about how worthless some country's lowest denomination coins are.

As for 2? I'd rather have a pocket full of them than 50ps!

Also some parking meters in town no longer accept 1,2,5 or 10ps probably as its not worthwhile for the council

The Future's Maroon

I'd rather find five or six ?2 coin in my sky rocket after a night out that five or six ?1 coins.

?2 coins are good for saving up, if you get them chuck them in a jar and once full take to bank to get changed into notes.

Keep 5p coins, with you on the rest.

A couple I know have a savings jar and a deal that when you get in at night any ?2 coins in your pocket, purse or whatever go in the jar.

They saved a hell of a lot of money up in not very much time. I keep meaning to do it.

They have just done that in Canada to get rid of pennies.

The Real Maroonblood

I'll buy your ?2 coins for a ?1 each.

BoJack Horseman

I'm obviously not talking about their value as currency. I'm well aware that ?2 coins are worth more than 50p coins. I'm talking about their use as a coin. As a practical object.

Canada has got rid of their coppers as well. Hopefully we'll be soon.

Tommy Wiseau

What's impractical about a ?2 coin? :lol: They're more practical, ffs. If you're going through self service needing specific change for the bus and leave yourself open to a ?2 coin in the change you're a mug anyway. Either go to a proper till or buy products that will guarantee you the coinage you need.

The only two things I can think of that could possibly be considered to make them problematic are antiquated vending machines or parking meters - very rare these days and the problem of the machine, not the coin, in any case - and bus change. Again, I fail to see how LRT not giving change is the fault of the ?2 coin. If you got 2 pound coins you would be in exactly the same boat for a single on the bus as you would with a ?2 coin.

?2 coins are good ****s imo. People who don't like them = deviants B)

Those self serve machines are dirty little ****s.

Always give shitty change... 50p back.. that'll be 4 tens and 2 fives

BoJack Horseman

What's impractical about a ?2 coin? :lol: They're more practical, ffs. If you're going through self service needing specific change for the bus and leave yourself open to a ?2 coin in the change you're a mug anyway. Either go to a proper till or buy products that will guarantee you the coinage you need.

The only two things I can think of that could possibly be considered to make them problematic are antiquated vending machines or parking meters - very rare these days and the problem of the machine, not the coin, in any case - and bus change. Again, I fail to see how LRT not giving change is the fault of the ?2 coin. If you got 2 pound coins you would be in exactly the same boat for a single on the bus as you would with a ?2 coin.

?2 coins are good ****s imo. People who don't like them = deviants B)

I just wanted change for the bus, Tommy. That's all.

The 5p coin is the devil. ******* hate them with a passion.

That's the spirit. Horrible little things.

dobmisterdobster

Why wouldn't the driver accept a ?2 coin?

Tommy Wiseau

That's the spirit. Horrible little things.

And made a mess of getting it, by the looks of things B)

Stop taking out your own errors on friendly little coins who only ever wanted to help you, you ungrateful swine :(

Cairneyhill Jambo

I can remember Lord Sutch of the Raving Loony party, as part of his parties election manifesto, wanted to introduce a 99p coin. Probably the most sensible suggestion in a manifesto at that time.

Isaac Clarke

Unless you suggest we round everything up?

They do that in New Zealand.

It is annoying sometimes, but they also round down as well though.

BoJack Horseman

Why wouldn't the driver accept a ?2 coin?

I'm sure he would.

And made a mess of getting it, by the looks of things B)

Stop taking out your own errors on friendly little coins who only ever wanted to help you, you ungrateful swine :(

I gambled, and I lost. I'll know better next time.

I keep getting one and two pence pieces after buying my bacon and tattie scone piece Special K at work each day.

What are you supposed to do with them?

I keep getting one and two pence pieces after buying my bacon and tattie scone piece Special K at work each day.

What are you supposed to do with them?

I saved mine in a bottle for two years then paid ?100 worth of them to my best man during my wedding speech as I lost a bet by getting married first. I have a new bottle started for my next wedding

dobmisterdobster
We need 99p coins. Cut down on change.

Then things would be 98p. Makes the plebs think they are getting a good deal.

I saved mine in a bottle for two years then paid ?100 worth of them to my best man during my wedding speech as I lost a bet by getting married first. I have a new bottle started for my next wedding

All my pals are utter ramjets, though. None of them will ever get married, unless they change the law to recognise civil partnerships with your fleshlight.

I like two pound coins.

The composite metals mean that when you hold one in your sweaty palm for half an hour, they snell you get is exquisite.

Maurice Moss

?2 coins are good IMO. Much rather have 5 of them in my pocket than 10 ?1 coins.

Agree about the 1p, 2p and 5ps though, nightmare to have a pocket full of coppers, and 5p coins are far too small.

All my pals are utter ramjets, though. None of them will ever get married, unless they change the law to recognise civil partnerships with your fleshlight.

To be fair I think we came under that description when we made the bet 15 years beforehand.

As for pennies, the railway has all but banned them. All rail fares end with a zero or a five. For once, the railways are ahead!

I'd dump 1p and 2p's. Pretty much useless nowadays.

I have fond memories of half pennies though. I mind the icey had half penny sweets so a 10p mix meant 20 sweets!!!! I had a deal with our icey. I gave him a pound and he'd put two handfuls of cola bottles in a bag. I used to race home and count them out. More often than not I had over 100. God bless my big handed, bullet catching, alleged 5ex pest ice cream van driver. He also let me buy cigars for my old man.

As for ?2 coins. I like them. I'd recommend everyone get one of those terramundi pots, the piggy bank you have to break to get into. Few years back when I had one I only put ?1 coins in it. When I had three or more in my wallet I stucl one in. When things were tight once when I quit my job to go back to Uni me and the wife broke it open and found I'd stuck in ?135 in 14 months. Saved our bacon that did.

Rocco_Jambo

A ?2 coin is legal tender. Any higher denomination notes or coins aren't. Makes them pretty useful.

A couple I know have a savings jar and a deal that when you get in at night any ?2 coins in your pocket, purse or whatever go in the jar.

They saved a hell of a lot of money up in not very much time. I keep meaning to do it.

The wife and I do this. When we filled the jar. Htook them out and to the bank. Had ?560 in it. Pretty good. Have started again.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

The wife and I do this. When we filled the jar. Htook them out and to the bank. Had ?560 in it. Pretty good. Have started again.

Likewise. Saved them for 8 months up to July last year and had around ?450 saved which I took on holiday with me.

Been doing the same again since we returned from our last holisay and reckon I have around ?500 saved since August.

Throwing a red cloth in front of a bull here but what about ?5 coins....?

The special ones you get from the post office, anyone got one or tried to spend one?

My Mum does this. Watched her cash ?340 last week.:seething:

I agree with the hatred of ?2 coins, they are pointless! Really annoying when you calculate what to buy in a shop to ensure you get change for the bus and you end up with a ?2 coin screwing it up!

?2.00 Coins - If you don't like them, as others have said stick them in a jar, once a year take them to the bank, it's amazing how much you can save. As for the 1p coins I think you are stuck with them. I am sure I read somewhere that shops price items at ?0.99p, ?1.99p etc. to ensure that staff have to run the transaction through the till to get the 1p change and give a receipt. otherwise they could easily pocket the cash.

?2.00 Coins - If you don't like them, as others have said stick them in a jar, once a year take them to the bank, it's amazing how much you can save.

Just as easy to save ?1 coins!

?2 coins are just impractical as I said above nothing worse than needing bus fares, going to a shop with a ?10 note and spending ?5.50 so you get ?4.50 change, expecting it to be 1x50p and 4x?1 coins only to get 1x50p and 2x?2 coins meaning you spent more than you really wanted in the shop to get change for the bus and you still don't have change for the bus!

There was one in a till in the last store i worked in as someone had spent it there. Nobody wanted it in change as it didn't even say what it was on it. I was there for 6 months before I banked it.

if we just get companies to give us ?1 worth of item instead of 99p worth, coppers would be out, it's them that cause this. some yuppie marketing dick thinks everybody's stupid enough to think that 99p next to whatever amount of ? is a bargain *ankers them all. the only real problem would be inflation, it would also have to change in silver denominations or there would be problems with packaging size changes.

ain't no easy solutions until the actual coin itself becomes worthless.

BoJack Horseman

Just as easy to save ?1 coins!

?2 coins are just impractical as I said above nothing worse than needing bus fares, going to a shop with a ?10 note and spending ?5.50 so you get ?4.50 change, expecting it to be 1x50p and 4x?1 coins only to get 1x50p and 2x?2 coins meaning you spent more than you really wanted in the shop to get change for the bus and you still don't have change for the bus!

This is my exact situation. Saving the coins is not a reason for the practicality. You can just as easily save ?300+ in any other denomination. ?2 coins are useless.

BoJack Horseman

if we just get companies to give us ?1 worth of item instead of 99p worth, coppers would be out, it's them that cause this. some yuppie marketing dick thinks everybody's stupid enough to think that 99p next to whatever amount of ? is a bargain *ankers them all. the only real problem would be inflation, it would also have to change in silver denominations or there would be problems with packaging size changes.

ain't no easy solutions until the actual coin itself becomes worthless.

They're right though. And it allows them to say things are "Under ?20" and price it at ?19.99. Price it whatever they want I say, but when I get to the till, just round it up.

People keep complaining on this thread about getting change for buses.....what are these "bus" things?

:smug:

Archived