Torres

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Has scored more than Rooney, Aguero, Tevez, Giroud and Cisse this season. On top of his golden boot in the Euro's.

And still people say he's terrible!

:wow:

A perfect of example of mups believing whatever the media tell them.

Exactly my point in the "Tonight's football" thread last night!

A quality player.

Scored me 18 dream team points last night. :thumbsup:

Just reward for keeping faith through the last transfer window :verysmug:

Franklin Delano Bluth

Worth 50 million though?

14 goals in 75 games. Some of them have been very important, mind.

Worth 50 million though?

14 goals in 75 games. Some of them have been very important, mind.

He's scored 18 this season.

Franklin Delano Bluth

He's scored 18 this season.

Damn wikipedia.

Okay, 50 million British pounds, 31 goals in 119 games. 1.6 million a goal. Worth it?

Suarez: 50 goals in 93 games (22.8 Million, ?456,000 a goal)

Rooney: 197 goals in 395 games (25.6 Million, ?130,000 a goal)

Giroud: 16 goals in 42 games (9.6 Million, ?600,000 a goal)

Can't be bothered doing this for every EPL striker, but you get the point.

tartofmidlothian

A unique example of a player who's won everything in the game but then has to go and prove he deserved to. No question his form's been on the up since the end of last season though. I wonder how much Benitez is helping him now and what he'll be like when he's gone?

Franklin Delano Bluth

Don't get me wrong, by the way, he's a good player. But never worth ?50 million.

Damn wikipedia.

Okay, 50 million British pounds, 31 goals in 119 games. 1.6 million a goal. Worth it?

Suarez: 50 goals in 93 games (22.8 Million, ?456,000 a goal)

Rooney: 197 goals in 395 games (25.6 Million, ?130,000 a goal)

Giroud: 16 goals in 42 games (9.6 Million, ?600,000 a goal)

Can't be bothered doing this for every EPL striker, but you get the point.

Wayne Rooney has played near 400 games. Awfully awful comparison.

Of his 18 goals, 7 are in the League against Reading, Newcastle, Suderland, Norwich and Villa. The other was against Arsenal.

Of his 3 Champions League goals, 2 were at home to Nordsjaelland (so good Chelsea beat them 10-1 on aggregate) and 1 at home to Shaktar.

He has scored 1 in the English FA Cup against Brentford

His 2 goals in the League Cup were against Wolves and Leeds (scores 6-0 and 5-1)

Lets not get carried away eh?

Don't get me wrong, by the way, he's a good player. But never worth ?50 million.

If a World Cup, European Championship, Champions League winner & 20 goals a season striker isn't worth that, who is?

Of his 18 goals, 7 are in the League against Reading, Newcastle, Suderland, Norwich and Villa. The other was against Arsenal.

Of his 3 Champions League goals, 2 were at home to Nordsjaelland (so good Chelsea beat them 10-1 on aggregate) and 1 at home to Shaktar.

He has scored 1 in the English FA Cup against Brentford

His 2 goals in the League Cup were against Wolves and Leeds (scores 6-0 and 5-1)

Lets not get carried away eh?

What does any of that mean? I've listed about 6 other top players who could have scored against similar teams but haven't.

He was top goalscorer in a major international tournament last summer and scored against Barca in the Champs League semi final. Do goals not count if they are against certain teams?

Do you honestly believe that Chelse invested ?50m in a striker to score over 50% of his goals against teams at that level?

Of course he has had a fabulous career but his recent form cannot even begin to justify that outlay or his previous status as one of the worlds best strikers.

Agreed.

Not only was he overpriced, chelsea had a fair strength strikeforce already, he bottled it at first, but slowly has started to shine again.

The media were very quick to pick up on him struggling, now he's doing well, the media is not interested.

Its sad the media need to report negative things instead of positive...but thats the way they are.

Do you honestly believe that Chelse invested ?50m in a striker to score over 50% of his goals against teams at that level?

Of course he has had a fabulous career but his recent form cannot even begin to justify that outlay or his previous status as one of the worlds best strikers.

They bought him to score goals and he's scored more than those regarded as the best in the country.

Tiberius Stinkfinger

Torres is a great player.

Chelski just don't play his type of game. Torres needs to run onto balls and needs a little bit of air in front of him, Chelski's midfield run with the ball and play nice neat passes between each other, a little like Barca and Spain who both comfortably play without a recognised striker on occasions.

Rafa has been getting the best out of Torres by trying to get the midfield to play it through to him quicker but he will be gone soon and if Torres stays his goals and confidence will dry up again.

The Real Maroonblood

Has scored more than Rooney, Aguero, Tevez, Giroud and Cisse this season. On top of his golden boot in the Euro's.

And still people say he's terrible!

A perfect of example of mups believing whatever the media tell them.

Still a wage thief though.

No one really said he is worth ?50M. No footballer should be worth that much. But in today's footballing market, when Andy Carroll is worth ?35M and Ronaldo is worth ?80M, then ?50M seems reasonable for Torres.

They bought him to score goals and he's scored more than those regarded as the best in the country.

Nice spin there.

For the record, Rooney has scored 16 goals in 30 games as opposed to 18 in 52. He's scored 12 in 21 league games against 7 in 29.

I also notice you don't mention Van Persie or Suarez or Ba. Or even Rickie Lambert who has scored twice as many league goals.

Torres has simply not had the impact at Chelsea that they would have wanted.

He was a quality player at Liverpool but hasn't produced anywhere near the same form at Chelsea. Would still like him to reproduce that same touch of class though.

Liverpool done one over on Chelsea by getting Suarez at half the cost. Andy Carroll on the other hand...

He's not half the player he was.

That's why he gets the stick.

That and the price tag!

I'd still much rather have a Tevez, Rooney or Aguero in my team.

Yeah it is pretty amazing stat. He isn't as good an overall player as he was at Liverpool. But is still one of the better Prem strikers.

He must get sick to death of watching MOTD. everytime he misses a chance, even a difficult one. Every commentator says "ooh that's a poor effort, you have to wonder if the Torres of old would have taken that chance". He was a great player at Liverpool, but he didn't score EVERY chance he ever got!

For Liverpool he scored

So with plenty games left for Chelsea this could easily be his second most prolific season in England.

But he's finished right enough.

Franklin Delano Bluth

For Liverpool he scored

So with plenty games left for Chelsea this could easily be his second most prolific season in England.

But he's finished right enough.

No one said that?

They just said he's not worth 50m and hasn't made the impact he should have with his undoubted skill, ability and price tag.

No one said that?

They just said he's not worth 50m and hasn't made the impact he should have with his undoubted skill, ability and price tag.

No one has said that when talking about Torres at Chelsea?

You joking?

Franklin Delano Bluth

No one has said that when talking about Torres at Chelsea?

You joking?

Oh sorry, excuse me.

On this thread.

rossthejambo

It's ridiculous the scrutiny he gets put under. He's been at the top end of the goalscoring charts for all but 2 of his seasons in the EPL, 1 of them being injury hit. Add that onto his Spanish record and you've just got to wonder how people have the cheek to continually question him, mainly those in the media who I think are partly to blame for his slump.

If a World Cup, European Championship, Champions League winner & 20 goals a season striker isn't worth that, who is?

so you think in the last couple/few years he`s been the player he should`ve been after being blistering at Liverpool?

He`s an enigma. He can show his quality on ocassion but not nearly enough to merit being regarded a top notch player. Many of his games he looked out of sorts, disinterested and half the player he was , yet he can be there sometimes when it matters and im thinking of the semi v Barca.

And you get players like that, that they are almost lucky to be part of it all and can turn around and point to medals.

Drogba was a real quality, solid striker in comparison. A leader and far more guts and desire than Torres.

There was a debate a few years back on here in a Torres v Drogba thread. I plumped for Drogba (this was when Torres was at Pool) and would every time. Even at Liverpool there were times Torres`s body language made him look like he wasn`t up for the fight but Drogba 99% of the time was always there for his team I think overthe last few years that`s been proven.

Oh sorry, excuse me.

On this thread.

I never said they did?!

Bizarre.

so you think in the last couple/few years he`s been the player he should`ve been after being blistering at Liverpool?

He`s an enigma. He can show his quality on ocassion but not nearly enough to merit being regarded a top notch player. Many of his games he looked out of sorts, disinterested and half the player he was , yet he can be there sometimes when it matters and im thinking of the semi v Barca.

And you get players like that, that they are almost lucky to be part of it all and can turn around and point to medals.

Drogba was a real quality, solid striker in comparison. A leader and far more guts and desire than Torres.

There was a debate a few years back on here in a Torres v Drogba thread. I plumped for Drogba (this was when Torres was at Pool) and would every time. Even at Liverpool there were times Torres`s body language made him look like he wasn`t up for the fight but Drogba 99% of the time was always there for his team I think overthe last few years that`s been proven.

I prefer Drogba.

Saying that, he was ?25 million about a decade ago with no medals to show his worth. ?50 million sounds about right for Torres who has won it all and the market is a lot more inflated than in Drogba's day.

Franklin Delano Bluth

Aye, 1.6m a goal is great return.

With the money Chelsea spent on Torres, you could buy Hearts, clear the debt and sign some new players.

But yeah, a bargain at 50m. I mean, 30 goals over 3 years.

Do The Dance

He's not the player he was between 07 and 09. You're kidding yourself if you believe otherwise. He was possibly considered the best striker in the world back then. He had injury problems in his final season at Liverpool and looked off it back then.

Would rather him than Andy Carroll mind!

Aye, 1.6m a goal is great return.

With the money Chelsea spent on Torres, you could buy Hearts, clear the debt and sign some new players.

But yeah, a bargain at 50m. I mean, 30 goals over 3 years.

What's the obsession with pricing up each goal? :dizzy2: How much do you think a goal should be worth? His Champions League semi final goal was probably worth about ?10 million.

Reminds me a bit of torre Andre flo when he went to rangers for a ridiculous price. Scored goals and did ok. But essentially impossible to live up to price tag

That's kind of how I see Torres. I think parting of way would suit both.

It is a bit like that actually. I don't agree a parting of ways would suit though ... he's scored 18 goals this season!

He's not the player he was between 07 and 09. You're kidding yourself if you believe otherwise. He was possibly considered the best striker in the world back then. He had injury problems in his final season at Liverpool and looked off it back then.

Would rather him than Andy Carroll mind!

No doubt he was at his peak at Liverpool. What I'm saying is his demise has been greatly exaggerated and despite there being clear evidence he is still a player, people just repeat what they hear Alan Hansen etc say.

Every man n there dug knows he lost all his talent when he got rid of the golden locks!!! Grow your hair el ninnooo!!

Rudolf's Mate

I'm a huge fan of Fernado but when bought his form wasn't hardly great. When purchased everyone scratched their head at the price tag.

A unique example of a player who's won everything in the game but then has to go and prove he deserved to. No question his form's been on the up since the end of last season though. I wonder how much Benitez is helping him now and what he'll be like when he's gone?

has he won the epl. I'm sure that he's missed out on that one.

rossthejambo

Struggles without Mata, Oscar and Hazard.

Most players would struggle without 3 out of 5 starting midfielders behind them :lol:

Shanks said no

Should never have got married, its so clear that's the reason he doesn't score as much as he did

That and the blonde locks of course

Juan Rom?n Riquelme

He's been poor for a couple of years.

7 league goals. Bulk of the other ones have come against inferior teams in cup competitions.

The Great Khali

Mind when he skinned the keeper at Old Trafford... And then missed the open goal? :wow:

That aside though, El Ni?o was and is a terrific player. Liverpool is where he really shone, and I still think he'll recapture that form one day. Wether that's at Chelsea or not remains to be seen.

His goal against Blackburn :wow:

Unknown user

They say stats dont lie but a blind man can see he's a shadow of the devastating striker he was at liverpool

Gregory House M.D.

No one is outwith probably the top 3 players in the world- Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo and Radamel Falcao. Maybe Zlatan :wub:

Crazy price to pay and for ?50m he's been utter shite at Chelsea. However, to say that he has cost chelsea nore than a million a goal is simpleton stuff. His Champions league goal landed Chelsea ?30m not including TV revenue which almost swallows his entire price.

Chris Benoit

Torres is a great player.

Chelski just don't play his type of game. Torres needs to run onto balls and needs a little bit of air in front of him, Chelski's midfield run with the ball and play nice neat passes between each other, a little like Barca and Spain who both comfortably play without a recognised striker on occasions.

Rafa has been getting the best out of Torres by trying to get the midfield to play it through to him quicker but he will be gone soon and if Torres stays his goals and confidence will dry up again.

:spoton:

Thing is if Torres had just stayed at Liverpool and Chelsea signed Carroll both would have been more prolific over the past 2 years.

Everyone talks about his goal at Barcelona but they were already through before he scored, he just wrapped it up. So for me Ramires goal was more important in that game. Off topic I know, just can't believe people are defending Torres record at Chelsea

has he won the epl. I'm sure that he's missed out on that one.

He's no won the Esh Pee Ell. Must be really shite!

Archived