What have I got?

TeribleTrio

TeribleTrio

I've been going through some stuff in the loft, and I came across old programmes etc. One thing was this large gloss white booklet, it has a Hearts player on the front (eddie thomson?) and lots of pictures, full centre page team photo etc. There is also a section about youth coaching being taken by our then coach Jock Wallace with a youth called Jim Jeffries looking on. I think it dates to about 1969, but not certain. Does anyone know when it was produced and what for, my mind has went blank trying to remember and googling has turned up a blank also. It was produced by Hearts.

Disappointing post. Saw the thread title and was expecting an opportunity to use the 'Bad Aids' joke. :(

TeribleTrio

Well just do a "Bad aids" joke anyway, I like a good laugh and nowt else is going down :-)

TeribleTrio

It's not Jeffries, it's Jefferies. Jim Jeffries has the bad AIDS.

Sorry about that I'm not big on e's. I am going to edit my post now if I can?

TeribleTrio

What does "prayforbeats" mean, is it groovy gang lingo or what?

Guest Bilel Mohsni

What does "prayforbeats" mean, is it groovy gang lingo or what?

Nope, its a Twitter style joke.

No replies to your question though... :(

See if you PM: 'London Jambo' though, he is a good lad and a bit of a paraphernalia squirrel, he will keep you right with this sort of thing.

:)

Franklin Delano Bluth

Eh??

:cornette:

Well just do a "Bad aids" joke anyway, I like a good laugh and nowt else is going down :-)

Unfortunately TeribleTrio doesn't know what 'prayforbeats' means.

TT: it's a joke about Beats' wee character in the 'Real Kickback vs Athletico Kickback' thread getting a disease which sidelines him for the season.

Unfortunately TeribleTrio doesn't know what 'prayforbeats' means.

TT: it's a joke about Beats' wee character in the 'Real Kickback vs Athletico Kickback' thread getting a disease which sidelines him for the season.

:cheers:

Makes sense now.

I think............

Chris Benoit

:cheers:

Makes sense now.

I think............

Yeah Beats got the HIV off Steve Clarke's wife

TeribleTrio

Many thanks to those who had a crack at it, It's defo pre the centenary year (1974).

I would date it to about 1969/70, and remember Jim Jefferies is only (pictured) in the youth squad. It's way bigger than a programme. I just can't recall when I got it and why it was produced. It's white gloss with nothing on the front cover bar Heart of Midlothian in black type across the top, and a action picture of a Hearts player (Eddie Thomson I think?). The opening page is an intro from Lord Rosebery, then following pages are about our history, the present day (69/70), pics of players including Roald Jenson etc. Full page centre page gloss team/squad photo, articles about coaching the youths focusing on Jock Wallace. Brilliant article and photo of a flying Jim Cruickshank other stuff and the last page is a print of the team/squad autographs.

I've googled my paps off, and I can't find a thing on it.

TeribleTrio

Nope, its a Twitter style joke.

No replies to your question though... :(

See if you PM: 'London Jambo' though, he is a good lad and a bit of a paraphernalia squirrel, he will keep you right with this sort of thing.

:)

Many thanks for that, not sure how to PM, but if you could ask London Jambo to nip in for a wee chin wag I would surely appreciate it. I think I checked out the London Hearts website as they do books etc but I drew a blank there too.

Many thanks for that, not sure how to PM, but if you could ask London Jambo to nip in for a wee chin wag I would surely appreciate it. I think I checked out the London Hearts website as they do books etc but I drew a blank there too.

Look up london jambo in the list of members, open his profile and there is an option on the right to send him a message.

Many thanks to those who had a crack at it, It's defo pre the centenary year (1974).

I would date it to about 1969/70, and remember Jim Jefferies is only (pictured) in the youth squad. It's way bigger than a programme. I just can't recall when I got it and why it was produced. It's white gloss with nothing on the front cover bar Heart of Midlothian in black type across the top, and a action picture of a Hearts player (Eddie Thomson I think?). The opening page is an intro from Lord Rosebery, then following pages are about our history, the present day (69/70), pics of players including Roald Jenson etc. Full page centre page gloss team/squad photo, articles about coaching the youths focusing on Jock Wallace. Brilliant article and photo of a flying Jim Cruickshank other stuff and the last page is a print of the team/squad autographs.

I've googled my paps off, and I can't find a thing on it.

Sold one on e-bay last year.

Still think its 74ish..but have been known to be wrong before....frequently :-)

Is it not for the Rosebery Trophy/Cup.(possibly the last time it was played for).

I remember having something similar and sure it was a one off event. If I recall correctly there are photos of Haymarket Clock, and a village photo, that I never understood.

I could be way of the mark but do recall owning this as a kid.

TeribleTrio

Sold one on e-bay last year.

Still think its 74ish..but have been known to be wrong before....frequently :-)

What did you itemise it as? How much did you sell it for?

Ernie Winchester is in the centre fold team/squad photo, he was retired from football in 1972 ish. The only clue to dating in the whole booklet/gloss brochure is one sentence, where it reads....." There is no doubt there is good reason for this attitude at Tynecastle on the threshold of the 1970's" . Everything about it rings 1969/70 season, I simply can't recall what it was produced for.

TeribleTrio

Is it not for the Rosebery Trophy/Cup.(possibly the last time it was played for).

I remember having something similar and sure it was a one off event. If I recall correctly there are photos of Haymarket Clock, and a village photo, that I never understood.

I could be way of the mark but do recall owning this as a kid.

Right I will do this in literary form unlike London Hearts who post pictures of the entire document/programme/book etc. You are pretty spot on with your recall, what would be page 3 (nothing is numbered) has a picture of the Haymarket Clock. In the section entitled Lord Rosebery, where page two is a picture of the Lord and our chairman Mr Lindsay and manager Mr Harvey in the grounds of Dalmeny House.

Page 5 has a old picture of the tolbooth published in 1852 entitled "The Heart of Midlothian", which would recall to you as a (old) village type scene.

Page 6, has a picture of the Hearts team that won the Scottish Cup in 1890-91. Pictures also of Bob Mercer, Barney Battles, Bobby Walker and pictures of a renowned forward line of..Briscoe, T Walker, Garret, Black, Warren.

Page 7 is also pictures including the 1949 team... back row ; Parker, McSpadyen, Brown, Cox, Dougan, Laing. front row; Sloan, Conn, Bauld, Wardhaugh, Cumming.

Pages 8 and 9 are concerned with our Cup Winners of 1956. Hearts cracking second goal against Celtic, and team celebrations etc.

And on it goes with hearts stuff(obviously) throughout. If that doesn't rattle anyones memory I can list what is on the other pages.

All the Best.

TeribleTrio

Look up london jambo in the list of members, open his profile and there is an option on the right to send him a message.

Many thanks I will do that, it's doing my nut in trying to work it out.

What did you itemise it as? How much did you sell it for?

Cant remember exact title,went for about 6/7 quid i think.

TeribleTrio

Cant remember exact title,went for about 6/7 quid i think.

Cheers mate, I've sent a letter to London Jambo to see if he can help. As I say my mind is blank on it and I've tried googling but can't find anything on it.

All the Best.

Could it have been a 25th celebration of the Rosebery Cup ending?

It would have been 25 years after the last competition which was in 1945, and there may have been a friendly fixture, or most likely an "East of Scotland Shield" game that was doubled up in 1970. In that the winner of the "East of Scotland Shield" game also won the symbolic 25th Anniversary Rosebery Cup medal, or whatever.

Other than that it is all very sketchy.

Try Hibs Net - they won the East of Scotland shield in 69 & 70 -- it will be on their "Major" Honours Board :10900:

TeribleTrio

Could it have been a 25th celebration of the Rosebery Cup ending?

It would have been 25 years after the last competition which was in 1945, and there may have been a friendly fixture, or most likely an "East of Scotland Shield" game that was doubled up in 1970. In that the winner of the "East of Scotland Shield" game also won the symbolic 25th Anniversary Rosebery Cup medal, or whatever.

Other than that it is all very sketchy.

Try Hibs Net - they won the East of Scotland shield in 69 & 70 -- it will be on their "Major" Honours Board :10900:

Two things that are not mentioned are the East of Scotland shield or the Rosebery Cup. Trying to figure out what the book was produced for is doing my nut in, it's official Hearts stuff like, but other than that...nothing. Anyway, many thanks.

All the Best.

One final thought.

The Rosebery Suite would have opened in the early 70's (possibly). It may have been the kind of thing that was given away at the opening dinners.

TeribleTrio

It's definitely 1969ish. The price is in shillings/pence and also decimal.

Yep, it says inside "Price: five shillings 25 new pence."

Have you got one wibble, I am clueless as to why Hearts published it, my mind is blank ?

TeribleTrio

One final thought.

The Rosebery Suite would have opened in the early 70's (possibly). It may have been the kind of thing that was given away at the opening dinners.

Good one, as near the end of the book there is a spread titled. "Heart of Midlothian Social Clubs".

Actually as I read the article, it is talking about when it (Ace of Hearts Club) was opened in January 21 1969. So it really can't be a give-away associated with that, although it's a classy book that would suite that kind of (opening) occasion. I am pretty certain it's to do with something late in the season as it has pictures of us playing Dundee Utd, Kilmarnock, Morton and Celtic that season too. Along with the history of the club, pictures celebrating that, and other stuff I've mentioned in this thread.

All the Best.

Yep, it says inside "Price: five shillings 25 new pence."

Have you got one wibble, I am clueless as to why Hearts published it, my mind is blank ?

I dug out my copy after reading the thread. It's a mint copy that I picked up years ago for 3 quid. No idea either what it is for. Always thought it was centenary, but obviously not.

The team photo in the centre is a ripper.

TeribleTrio

I dug out my copy after reading the thread. It's a mint copy that I picked up years ago for 3 quid. No idea either what it is for. Always thought it was centenary, but obviously not.

The team photo in the centre is a ripper.

The team photo is class eh. It's because it's a gloss book throughout makes me think it was for something special.

Who do you think the player on the front cover is, Eddie Thomson?

Sorry about that I'm not big on e's. I am going to edit my post now if I can?

Is it speed you prefer?

Archived