What happened to the Rangers effect............

Clerry Jambo

Pohang Jambo

Those stadium capacities are totally wrong, Inverness's ground holding 22,000?!?

Or on the other hand, what happened to all clubs going to die without them? Attendances would be the exact same if they were in our league. It's the prices and quality of football that's turning fans away.

Clerry Jambo

Those stadium capacities are totally wrong, Inverness's ground holding 22,000?!?

Aye the capacities are now out of date but the averages are normally spot on

The most telling stat on that list is the drop on Celtic's average attendance. Down almost 7,000 on last season.

kingantti1874

I don't remember anyone saying they would be spectacularly different. I do remember people saying their presence or lack off would have no significant effect which this proves, a number of clubs have seen increases also...

Troon Jambo

Avg almost 13,000 which given the horrific season we are having is very respectable. Get our house in order for next year and I for one remain positive. How can teams averaging less than 5000 fans a game come close to us? Terrible mismanagement of resources. Poor handling of playing and football personnel and not taking advantage on the potential revenue from a huge and supportive fan base. Talk about not getting the most of the sum of the parts . Onward and upward, I am excited for the future.

ArcticJambo

What's perhaps skewed the figures is that the 'larger' clubs have generally bombed this year ... prices and quality aside, Hearts, Hibs, DU and Aberdeen are all down bottom six.

Or on the other hand, what happened to all clubs going to die without them? Attendances would be the exact same if they were in our league. It's the prices and quality of football that's turning fans away.

:spoton:

Shite overpriced football is hardly going to encourage lapsed fans who have found more entertaining things to do on a Saturday.

Is it not about entertainment??

Rudolf's Mate

Didn't want to start a separate thread but that muppet McCulloch has claimed winning the third div was better than any of his SPL titles!

What a feckin roaster that man is!

Clerry Jambo

What's perhaps skewed the figures is that the 'larger' clubs have generally bombed this year ... prices and quality aside, Hearts, Hibs, DU and Aberdeen are all down bottom six.

Aye fair point.

I'm sure Aberdeen were expecting an upturn in numbers and maybe would have if they were challenging for 2nd.

I suppose as well clubs like Inverness, Ross County and St Johnstone have done very well but they don't have that fan base to increase in big numbers

Didn't want to start a separate thread but that muppet McCulloch has claimed winning the third div was better than any of his SPL titles!

He's just playing to the D3 gallery - best ignored.

Fans not consumers. *seen some inverness banner, its true though, we are being ripped off, problem is that we are reliant on gate sales :/

Aye fair point.

I'm sure Aberdeen were expecting an upturn in numbers and maybe would have if they were challenging for 2nd.

I suppose as well clubs like Inverness, Ross County and St Johnstone have done very well but they don't have that fan base to increase in big numbers

Clerry,

No-one said there would be a huge up turn. What the supporters some clubs, notably Aberdeen, said was that it would only take a small increase in season tickets, average gates to completely negate any loss of income from the visiting Rangers fans.

Any teams with home (and I mean home fans attendance) gates down are primarily down to 3 factors

- Purse strings are tight

- Their team isn't playing well and

- The general pathetic, and I mean really pathetic standard of football.

None of the above would improve if Rangers were still in the SPL.

The key challenge the game had was if, Rangers had remained at the top table, would fans of other club, made out with the threat to walk away - irrespective of the impact on their own clubs.

It's a a sad indictment on the number of people prepared to bend over and just accept The Rangers and their media sychophants propoganda.

........weren't fans going to return in "numbers" after the demise of "Oldco"

Pretty poor averages all round, although fair play to Dundee

http://stats.footbal.../PR/attend.html

The folk that said that they would be coming back have obviously taken 1 look at the product on offer and decided that tidying their sock drawers would be a more interesting way to spend their Saturdays.

Can't say I blame them. ?20-odd to watch the utter shite on display in the SPL is an absolute shitemare.

He's just playing to the D3 gallery - best ignored.

I think he is just your normal bulk standard thick as mince professional footballer.

I don't really recall anyone saying attendances would rise if the new Rangers entity wasn't voted in the SPL.

I do remember people saying that attendances would drop if they were voted it. We'll never know about that.

I also recall predictions if Armaggedon and social unrest if they weren't voted in. I'm pretty sure neither has happened.

I don't really recall anyone saying attendances would rise if the new Rangers entity wasn't voted in the SPL.

I do remember people saying that attendances would drop if they were voted it. We'll never know about that.

I also recall predictions if Armaggedon and social unrest if they weren't voted in. I'm pretty sure neither has happened.

Exactly.

Clerry Jambo

Clerry,

No-one said there would be a huge up turn. What the supporters some clubs, notably Aberdeen, said was that it would only take a small increase in season tickets, average gates to completely negate any loss of income from the visiting Rangers fans.

Absolutely and it hasn't happened.

Totally agree that the product is awful but clubs would have been looking for an increase through the gates as they voted the way their fans had been demanding in the summer.

ArcticJambo

No, but there was an underlying theme that nobody really struck down that being that if a few of the lesser 'bigger sides', should they challenge, might just propel the general figures up. Saying that, this would probably have been the case irrespective of whether TTFKAR were there or not, and had been hamstrung.

It's all down to cost, the football is poor, but the cost is the killer.

$(KGrHqR,!l4E5(-4qrlrBObmqWJ(f!~~_12.JPG

Relative price today should be about ?6 or ?7 per game.

N.B also note the Day and the kick off time.

Even if this stub was for an under 16, double would only now be ?12-?14 a game.

Ian Black also said it was the hardest league he's ever played in.

Don't react, just laugh.

Francis Albert

We are currently getting over 70% capacity at Tynecastle. What reduction in price do people think would result in generating more revenue?

Clearly ?6 or ?7 per game or even ?12 to ?14 per game would result in a substantial loss of revenue, even if the ground was full for every game. Which it wouldn't be.

Totally agree that the product is awful but clubs would have been looking for an increase through the gates as they voted the way their fans had been demanding in the summer.

Mate,

The cost of a game is extortionate and the standard awful. Apart from any club really challenging Celtic for the title, it would be nigh near impossible to generate increased fans/re venue. Yes I wanted Rangers out, because I stronlgy believe that liquidated clubs shouldn't be allowed just to wander back in as if nothing had happened, and if it was us, no-one would have blinked in chucking us out.

The fans have been proved correct. No club,has gone to the wall due to the Rangers effect, despite Jabba telling us 5 would go by the end of last August.

But as has since been proved, Jabba had been working his ticket for a job at Rangers for months previous to coming out with that.

Francis Albert

I think they were more reacting to the threat of a substantial reduction in gates if they hadn't done the right thing.

Don't react, just laugh.

Ian Black is a Hearts cup winning legend, but similar to McCulloch, your bulk standard thick as mince professional footballer.

Diadora Van Basten

Very interesting post there are a lot of people who don't think price makes a difference.

I think the fans who felt strongly enough about it to threaten to stay away are the fans who still turn up at games - because their club voted the right way. The only way attendances would have increased (rather than stay more or less the same) would be if the quality of football had been anything like as exciting as the more competitive league might suggest.

Francis Albert

Very interesting post there are a lot of people who don't think price makes a difference.

It makes a difference but it's not the major factor. In the 60s and 70s prices were dirt cheap compared to today but our crowds (for non-OF and derby games) were barely half what they are today

Don't react, just laugh.

That could be down to the fact its a more level playing field down there.

part_time_jambo

On a side note, why do the take Scotland games, semi-final to Easter Road. I always assumed it was because it had a bigger capacity. According to the list it's not, and as Tynecastle is a better, more atmospheric (so I hear) stadium, I can't understand this.

Aberdeen reduced the tckt prices for yesterdays game but still had a shit home support,and it was pa broons last home game.

kids got in for ?1.

Drastic measures needed.

Avg almost 13,000 which given the horrific season we are having is very respectable. Get our house in order for next year and I for one remain positive. How can teams averaging less than 5000 fans a game come close to us? Terrible mismanagement of resources. Poor handling of playing and football personnel and not taking advantage on the potential revenue from a huge and supportive fan base. Talk about not getting the most of the sum of the parts . Onward and upward, I am excited for the future.

pretty much......for all Vlad has helped us he`s now hindering us.

We need solid leadership, everyone at the club aiming for the same target and better management on the financial side as you point out.

I was discussing this today. For a while i bought the idea that players are durable and just get on with it, but lets be honest, it must be a shyte environment to work in with uncertainty and no real feel good factor coming from the top.

We need a new Wallace Mercer circa early 80`s.

Stupid Sexy Flanders

On a side note, why do the take Scotland games, semi-final to Easter Road. I always assumed it was because it had a bigger capacity. According to the list it's not, and as Tynecastle is a better, more atmospheric (so I hear) stadium, I can't understand this.

Easter Road has a much bigger capacity than Tynie. Is it not around 20-21k, compared to Tynie's 16k?

Clerry Jambo

We need a new Wallace Mercer circa early 80`s.

We certainly do Debut, but men like that don't seem to around or willing to invest in our club.

I think we all want to get back to being a well run club, because with the fan base we have, we really should be more consistent from season to season.

Under Romanov's reign this will be the 3rd occasion that bottom 6 beckons and indeed 11th position looking likely this year, no way good enough

The folk that said that they would be coming back have obviously taken 1 look at the product on offer and decided that tidying their sock drawers would be a more interesting way to spend their Saturdays.

Can't say I blame them. ?20-odd to watch the utter shite on display in the SPL is an absolute shitemare.

dont forget the McGlynn factor. :10800: id like to know who made that decision. :11300:

Fermit the Krog

Over 28k inside Tynecastle for that game.

Though we managed a paltry 7300 versus Dunfermline and 9600 v St Mirren in the March and April, despite us being 2nd in the league and despite it also being 3 quid to get in.

No, but there was an underlying theme that nobody really struck down that being that if a few of the lesser 'bigger sides', should they challenge, might just propel the general figures up. Saying that, this would probably have been the case irrespective of whether TTFKAR were there or not, and had been hamstrung.

Another theory it's hard to disprove, if we consider ourselves, Hibs, Aberdeen and Dundee Utd as the "lesser big teams"- none have challenged. And that's hee-haw to do with the absence of Rangers.

Over 28k inside Tynecastle for that game.

Though we managed a paltry 7300 versus Dunfermline and 9600 v St Mirren in the March and April, despite us being 2nd in the league and despite it also being 3 quid to get in.

must have been under 100 quid for a season ticket back then a cannae mind if a wis at that game what was the score ?

ArcticJambo

Another theory it's hard to disprove, if we consider ourselves, Hibs, Aberdeen and Dundee Utd as the "lesser big teams"- none have challenged. And that's hee-haw to do with the absence of Rangers.

I think that's what I did say, or perhaps implied, with 'should they challenge', which obviously they haven't as referenced by the bottom six quip. Hence, why figures might have generally increased across the board (had they challenged).

We're on the same wavelength, it's just I'm being a pendant, which I'm sure you can appreciate. ;)

1-1 mate.

The Mark Walters game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1gGXRrm3OQ

A Yes i recall now the amazing skill of Mark Walters, also good to see again how good Gary Mackay was and how strong Mickey Galloway was, a good game played at a fast high tempo fast and Physical, it makes todays offering a joke, so many good players on show Robbo JC Big Dave Mac, Mike Galloway, JC, Neil Berry, Sandy Clark, Craig Leveine, Mark Walters Souness Super Ally, Durrant, John Brown, Butch WIll.

for 3 quid.

compared to the rubbish on show now.

29k at the game standing.

:spoton:

Shite overpriced football is hardly going to encourage lapsed fans who have found more entertaining things to do on a Saturday.

Is it not about entertainment??

Exactly, fans want to be entertained and the standard in the SPL Is miles from bring even semi decent.

kingantti1874

You can only reduce Ticket prices if you have TV or sponsorship revenue to allow you to subsidise the price like the Germans , if we reduced ticket prices to ?10 per game turnover would go from ?7m pa to about ?3, remove the cost of running tynecastle and riccarton and you'd maybe have ?1.5m per season in wages for all playing staff(and I'm being generous)

We'd go from utter shite to Armadale juniors level, even the worst spl players would be playing in the conference for more cash...

Nice idea, it would be fantastic but the sums just don't add up in the post Bosman era sadly

I think that's what I did say, or perhaps implied, with 'should they challenge', which obviously they haven't as referenced by the bottom six quip. Hence, why figures might have generally increased across the board (had they challenged).

We're on the same wavelength, it's just I'm being a pendant, which I'm sure you can appreciate. ;)

A pendant?!? ;)

ArcticJambo

A pendant?!? ;)

... you know, one who can swing both ways. :devilish:

Its been a long day, in fact a long weekend ... we've had ice fog for three days now. No doubt, you're probably basking in temps around the mid 70s. :46:

Stupid Sexy Flanders

Exactly, fans want to be entertained and the standard in the SPL Is miles from bring even semi decent.

I actually don't think it's the standard/quality as such that's the problem, excitement is far more important IMO. If we had games where both teams were attacking & having plenty shots on goal, that would make all the difference. But at the moment, the emphasis seems to be on not getting beat.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

This season has been. Considerably worse wothout the teddy bears.

This season has been. Considerably worse wothout the teddy bears.

Disagree. We've been worse and have a weaker squad but no Rangers in the league has made no difference to the season other than the uninteresting (for non-OF fans) two horse race for the title not being there.

Archived