Will anything compare to that of 19/05/12?

jambo191

I don't think so.

Honestly can say I'm disappointed, but gutted? Not even close.

I mean this was a League cup final, a chance to win another trophy and yet It felt just like any other game. The whole build up to the game just seemed flat. Hardly any buzz about it at all, and next to no hype coming from the media.

Then we go to the game. The banter between the fans? Pathetic. Do St Mirren actually have any other songs apart from when the saints go marching on? Even at 3-1 you would have thought someone had died.

At the final whistle I actually said. 'Fair play, let them have their day, they took their chances. Well done Saints'

Even League derbies against the this season Hibs scum haven't compared. I mean look at the last game at Easter road, nowhere near a sell out and both sets of fans not even showing that up for it.

Compare that to the months of build up to the Scottish cup final against Hibs. Wow.

The whole city, country and across the UK were talking about this. The ultimate derbies to beat all derbies. The biggest game we will ever see in our lifetime. One chance to see two bitter rivals fight for one important prize.

Before the game I had a sick feeling in my stomach for a week. Walking into Hampden I had goosebumps. When the teams came out I just about had tears in my eyes as I looked across and saw thousands, upon thousands of Hearts fans swinging those scarfs and roaring out our famous song.

For the whole 90 minutes it was just pure euphoria, and even then i didn't come down all summer!

Yesterday the whole thing just seemed a let down from start to finish. I hope I'm wrong but I doubt I will ever get that feeling at a game again.

Charlie-Brown

Yes but the last final was the biggest game and result our club has had in most of our living memories and one of the club's all time greatest victories, very little if anything will ever compare for a long time.

Winning the league cup in 1954, then the Scottish cup in 1956 then league champions in 1958 were massive as these broke decades long barren spells as did winning in 1998.

Yesterday was a cup final and a chance at a trophy but we've lost other finals and even semi finals that hurt much worse imo.

The People's Chimp

Yeah we might as well give up now as nothing will ever be that good again.

:cornette:

Horrific attitude. Are we going to need decades in the wilderness to have any hunger ever again? Has 98 been wiped from the collective consciousness?

Jambo Hud316

Me and my mates (all in our 30's) said after 190512 that we have likely just seen the best moment we will ever see as Hearts fans. Yesterday I just never had the same buzz and felt a lot of Hearts fans were in the same boat.

We lost yesterday but as we were walking back to our bus we spoke about whilst disappointed can you imagine how the Hibs fans felt making that same walk home in May.

Just watching the repeat of the game and from our seats in the lower south stand I didn't realise at the time how close we came on so many occasions especially whilst winning 1-0.

Sore to lose as always but agree with the OP..not even close to being gutted

p.s It would have been pish having a night time parade in that weather anyway, we only do sunshine parades

The People's Chimp

Me and my mates (all in our 30's) said after 190512 that we have likely just seen the best moment we will ever see as Hearts fans. Yesterday I just never had the same buzz and felt a lot of Hearts fans were in the same boat.

We lost yesterday but as we were walking back to our bus we spoke about whilst disappointed can you imagine how the Hibs fans felt making that same walk home in May.

Just watching the repeat of the game and from our seats in the lower south stand I didn't realise at the time how close we came on so many occasions especially whilst winning 1-0.

Sore to lose as always but agree with the OP..not even close to being gutted

p.s It would have been pish having a night time parade in that weather anyway, we only do sunshine parades

I know you're joking, but hearts haven't won anywhere nearly enough silverware to talk about only doing sunshine parades or "the big cup."

Charlie-Brown

Horrific attitude. Are we going to need decades in the wilderness to have any hunger ever again? Has 98 been wiped from the collective consciousness?

Results like last May, 1998, beating Hibs at hampden in 2006, Allan Johnston's treble at Ibrox, beating Bayern etc were all hugely special days as I suppose Mark Devries demolition of jobs also was but these great events aren't all that regular that's what makes them special and cherished.

It will take something really extraordinary to top the joys of 1998 or 19/05/2012 imo.

The Great Khali

Yesterday was our chance to create history and we blew it. I refuse to get sucked into the belief that "it's sound eh, we won a game 5-1 so we dinnae huv tae really dae well again eh"

Pish. Yes that day will go down as the greatest in our history but there is absolutely no point in using it as an excuse every time we **** up.

Imagine if we could have added "the first non old-firm double cup holders to our proud history and acheivements?

Charlie-Brown

Yesterday was our chance to create history and we blew it. I refuse to get sucked into the belief that "it's sound eh, we won a game 5-1 so we dinnae huv tae really dae well again eh"

Pish. Yes that day will go down as the greatest in our history but there is absolutely no point in using it as an excuse every time we **** up.

Imagine if we could have added "the first non old-firm double cup holders to our proud history and acheivements?

We created plenty chances, we didn't take them, St Mirren were clinical with the few chances they created that was the difference.

I was more hurt losing semi finals to Airdrie twice, St Mirren twice, Old Firm etc than I was yesterday.

JAMBO _MOBY

I wouldn't say people have chosen to feel less 'bothered' but being so soon after the Scottish cup final how could it compare?

After calling it the diddy cup for years you can't suddenly think its on a par with the big cup simply because it isn't.

I wish we had won, I was gutted yesterday and feel pretty down today but had that been the Scottish cup I would be feeling much much worse.

Players and fans learn from defeats so we will appreciate the next win more now. I and many others went through 86, various semi final losses, 96 league and Scottish cup to make 98 the most amazing feeling ever, 5-1 was on a par with that but had we won yesterday it wouldn't have been close, sorry but that's just the way I feel, I can't change that.

Archived