Has anyone seen a dead body?

Matthew Le Tissier

Matthew Le Tissier

I know the title is rather morbid ,but I was watching a programme on Mt Everest. If someone dies up their they just leave them and continue up. Ive seen 1 but that was in the hospital.

Prince Buaben

Yes i have. No great exciting stories. It was a deceased family member.

Dozens.

I've worked in A+E's for about 12 years in total.

Never get completely used to it tbh.

The Internet

No, and I hope I never have to.

One night I thought I had found a dead guy in the street (he was old, and he was lying at the front of a parked car, wasn't moving, eyes open, etc) and I just about ******* shit myself. When I bent down to see if he was alright I expected him to just be passed out (ie I thought his eyes would be shut) but I got a proper shock when these blank eyes were staring back at me. Turns out he wasn't dead (he actually was just passed out drunk), but I reckon it's the most panicked I've ever been.

Say What Again

Yes i have. No great exciting stories. It was a deceased family member.

Same here

Only seen a few, which is a shame because it's normally the only chance I get to have sex

Gigolo-Aunt

Only seen a few, which is a shame because it's normally the only chance I get to have sex

SUPERB

Generic Username

I've not seen any in "the flesh" but having worked for the legal aid board for a couple of years I've seen some absolutely horrifying stuff. Part of the job was to audit what solicitors were charging was reasonable, so if they charged ?100 for two hours worth of looking at/examining autopsy or crime scene photo's, you'd have to have a sift through those photo's to see if that time given was accurate or not.

Severed heads, folk that'd been scalped and all other sorts of nonsense. A genuinely awful working experience.

The Great Khali

My grandad died about a year and a half a go. My mum phoned me and told me, so naturally I went straight over to his house to see if his wife was ok.

Had no idea he hadnt been taken away. ******* shit myself when I walked into the living room. Horrible.

Nicholas Brody

Yes. Studied forensic science. Seen some pretty grim stuff.

Tiberius Stinkfinger

Saw a young lass cut in half by a bus, she had fallen off her horse. Don't get the nightmares anymore fortunately.

Also unfortunate enough to see a woman jump of a multi-storey car park, she was alive when she hit the deck. Not for long though.

Just remembered another one :dizzy2:

1st day working in a boozer about 25 years ago, the place shut about 3pm in the afternoon and the boss asked me to go and check the bogs before we locked the doors, one of the cubicles was locked so I shouted and booted the door a few times, no answer so I reported in to the boss, not being a shy lad I said i didn't mind have a gander over the top of the cubicle. Deid junkie with the needle still stuck in his leg, troosers down by his ankles the lot. Not pleasant on your 1st day.

my hobo mate's a joiner with the council... a lot of his calls are to assist the police getting into properties. many of his 'customers' are only noticed due to smell and flies, some after a good bit of maturing. he says the smell never leaves you, but you get used to it... i did mention he was a hobo...

Suspect Device

fitted new ventilation louvres in the morgue at the Cowgate years ago, saw a few there.

The chest stitching after post mortems was a lttle 'basic'

Yes.

My girlfriend at the time.

Luckily I didn't find her so my 5 minutes from being told to getting to her house prepared me.

It wasn't nice.

Buffalo Bill

I witnessed a death a couple of years ago. I'll never forget it. Very sad and upsetting.

Once when I was about 7 on holiday in Malta. One of the guests in the hotel whose children we had become quite friendly with had a heart attack and dropped dead in the hotel lobby.

Second one was when I was working in an office directly below the Dean Bridge, someone jumped off and landed within view of the office window.

Lastly was a relative in a funeral home. We had the choice whether we wanted to go in the room or not. Don't think I would choose to if given the opportunity next time, absolutely horrible experience.

my best friend,she was only 20 when she died and everyone had the chance to see her the night before the funeral,I couldnt do it at first,the inner battle I had with myself,in the end I did,and im glad I did because I got to say goodbye but I couldnt touch her,so when I took my hearts pin badge off my jacket I had to get someone to pin it the top she was wearing!

Never had to do something like that again,not sure I could

yeah as a young kid an old woman laying the street me and a few other mates were stood thinking she was sleeping.

Have seen a few, first one was in the morgue as part of training, next one was on a Sunday morning in Potterrow old guy got up early to stir up the embers in the fireplace and dropped dead. When i got there he was lying on his back, if you had stood him up the poker was still pointing at the fireplace. In those days every sudden death had to be taken by ambulance to the hospital to be pronounced life extinct. It always amazed me that someone who had been alive such a short time before could be (sounds stupid I know) so dead. An arm would fall off the stretcher and you anticipated the person pulling it back up.

The whole morgue thing was not without its humor. There was a register you entered the particulars in, there was also a motor for the refrigeration, if you looked it was funny to see where the constable at say 3.00am was filling the register when the motor cut in, often there would be a big line where we, I include myself, jumped at the sound of the motor cutting in and the ink pen had scratched across the page with the sudden turn of your body to look for any possible attacker. It was of course unlikely that even if they wanted or were able to the residents couldn't open the fridge door from the inside.

Ryan Jarman

Girlfriend's grandmother, I went to the hospital as I got a call from te lass that her time was near the end. I got there about 5 mins after she passed and the whole family were outside the room. They all went in groups. Lass asked me to come in with her to see her, didn't really want to but could hardly say no. The change from the person you've met and the person in front of you is horrific. Don't think I'd want to do it again but dunno how's I'd feel if it were one of my family.

My fiancee works in a nursing home and has walked into rooms and found dead bodies, always comes home upset afterward as she gets attached to some of them

Chris Benoit

Yes. Studied forensic science. Seen some pretty grim stuff.

Out of interest what's the job prospects like on the back of it? My niece has been looking into studying it when she goes to Uni in a couple of years.

my hobo mate's a joiner with the council... a lot of his calls are to assist the police getting into properties. many of his 'customers' are only noticed due to smell and flies, some after a good bit of maturing. he says the smell never leaves you, but you get used to it... i did mention he was a hobo...

Been in a couple of houses that has had a 'matured' tennant in it. Smell sticks around for ages :boak:

I've worked on the railways for over a year now but I've been quite lucky and missed a few jumpers by a stop or two. I don't look forward to the day that my train squashes someone and I don't really want to see the body parts lying all over when it happens.

skinnybob72

Just the wife's - she's in the boot of my car just now so if anyone has any tips on getting rid of it send me a PM!

Just the wife's - she's in the boot of my car just now so if anyone has any tips on getting rid of it send me a PM!

Got space for one more in your boot. :lol:

Jingle Bells

Once saw an Egyptian getting his head run over by a touristi bus in down town Luxor. That was a bit yucky

Nicholas Brody

Out of interest what's the job prospects like on the back of it? My niece has been looking into studying it when she goes to Uni in a couple of years.

Pretty dire tbh. I work in bacteriology now and most of the people I went to uni with now work in pretty standard laboratory jobs that a normal biology/chemistry/physics degree would get you. Pretty sure we were told there's around 300 applicants for every forensics job although I do know one guy that managed to get a job in the states fairly easily. It's a great course but you have to be pretty lucky to end up with the job you want at the end of it.

Chris Benoit

Pretty dire tbh. I work in bacteriology now and most of the people I went to uni with now work in pretty standard laboratory jobs that a normal biology/chemistry/physics degree would get you. Pretty sure we were told there's around 300 applicants for every forensics job although I do know one guy that managed to get a job in the states fairly easily. It's a great course but you have to be pretty lucky to end up with the job you want at the end of it.

Cheers bud I'll mention it to her.

Seen loads in my line of work. Bob sharps right you've got to have a sense if humour when dealing with it.

I saw a couple of suicides in the jail, one guy I knew quite well. The weirdest thing was we, the officers, still had to work on the body, chest compressions, mouth to mouth etc. even though he was stone cold and had obviously been dead for hours.

Still, a snog's a snog.

Took a guy to visit an open coffin in a funeral parlour too, that was odd, I was cuffed to him, he was all weeping and kissing his dad.

There's a theme here.

Saw my granny too, first time I saw a body. It's a peculiar feeling, her body was there, but the room felt entirely empty.

I didn't kiss her...

Too many to count - on one occaision over two hundred! The fresh ones are okay - but the ones that have been dead for a wee while - well that's another story.

Konrad von Carstein

My Dad, cancer took him at 66, I'd not seen or spoke him for over 20 years, got told he had days left saw him twice before he died - saw him in his coffin before the funeral - looked like a Taussauds dummy - he was a dick in life but his death affected me quite badly for a long time afterwards.

Police, Fire and other emergency services use humor to compensate for the situations, I believe its called Isolation of Effect

Never knew it had a name bob. The big book is still there by the way, think its older than me

Too many to count - on one occaision over two hundred! The fresh ones are okay - but the ones that have been dead for a wee while - well that's another story.

2 hundred at one ******* time????

WTF, what are you, mercenary, retired U-boat engine installer?

2 hundred at one ******* time????

WTF, what are you, mercenary, retired U-boat engine installer?

Naw a few years ago now - but far closer to home!

In fact just off the M74!

I've done quite a bit of refurb work in funeral homes. I've always declined going into rooms where there's an open casket and waited till the embalmer was done before going into the mortuary but one day I walked past an open door and there was this wee auld woman on the slab. Bit of a shock.

Luckily never had any close relatives die, I'd imagine that it'd be a lot worse seeing them.

The smell that lingers in the funeral parlours is awful though. One of the guys that ran one of the places told me all the gory details one night. The things that he had seen are beyond comprehension. He was an embalmer as well as an undertaker so he's seen pretty much every method of death and cleaned up after it. As much as I didn't want to know, it's hard to stop listening once somebody starts telling you about that stuff.

Naw a few years ago now - but far closer to home!

In fact just off the M74!

****. You emergency services.

****. You emergency services.

Was - retired quite a few years ago now though!

Jambof3tornado

Seen loads in my line of work. Bob sharps right you've got to have a sense if humour when dealing with it.

I remember going to a suicide a good few years ago where the person had electrocuted themselves.

When we finished we went to kfc for our meal break (think about the 2nd letter).

Laughter is the best counselling in my opinion.

PsychocAndy

My Grandad, or as we called him Goga, at the City Hospital. He had a few heart attacks when he was looking after my Nana, who was wheelchair bound after having a stroke 16 years before she died, we never got to she her as she died at Haggerston Castle and had to be taken to Newcastle first, then up here and they said the movement made it impossible for us to see her.

Goga looked so content and, strangely, youthful and fit. Loved him to bits.

Once walking down the West Port, the kids were running ahead, on the pavement and we were watching them, we heard a dull bang and as we got level with the kids there was a guy in his early 20's sprawled on the road after he had ran in front of a MVP hire cab. There were a couple of medical staff staying in Websters Land who heard and were out in a minute, but if there was a place for things to come out your body, it had done for the poor bloke. We had got the kids away as soon as it happened but I had to go back out and tell the police my 10 year old daughter had seen it.

The 2 policemen came to the house and they were brilliant with her and said after taking a "statement" that they would be back up in a couple of weeks and take them out in a patrol car, but I cancelled it because the kids had gotten over it pretty quickly and I didn't want the police car ride bringing back the memories.

Any way at that age I had to earn my lift in a cop car.

Saw a family member that wasn't too bad as his illness prepared us for the end. While working in a central London hotel we had a few suicides in it. I think that in their frame of mind they would rather kill themselves among strangers than put their families through the trauma of discovering the body.

When I was about 10 i was on an outing with the BB's, and were on the number 7 bus heading back to Liberton when an old geezer reekin drunk stumbled out in front of the bus and was hit square on the napper. We all got carted off the bus, and the eejits made us walk past him! Wasnae a pretty sight!

Also, I was with my mum when she passed away with cancer 7 years ago.

My dad, he passed away when I was 14.

It's not an experience I'll ever be able to describe.

Archived