Willie Collum: A dossier.

Eckauskas

On a side note from the other thread on his ridiculous officiating of yesterday's game, I thought it would be interesting to list his hideous 'mistakes' that have gone on to cost us in a big way over the years.

Obviously there's the time he awarded Rangers a penalty without even seeing the offence, while his back was turned, but lets focus on while he's refereed Hearts. The ones I can think of;

Misses a goal against Celtic, with the ball clearly over the line. Celtic then run up the other end of the park and score. Can't have been more than 20 seconds between the two incidents.

Refuses to award a stone wall penalty against Celtic, again, in the first half when Calum Paterson is wiped out, only to get up and get wiped out again. That might not be exactly be how it was, but I remember two fouls in the box in the space of a couple of seconds and nothing was given. 1-0 Celtic at this point, a goal would have changed the outlook of the game, as it would have in the previous game.

Awards a free kick for Hearts in the same game, when it was clearly inside the box, only to be shown up by his assistant who rightly pointed out he was wrong.

Refuses to award ANOTHER stone wall penalty against Hibs for McPake's horrible tackle on Pum, which wound up with him having to go off in the 2nd half. You could point out him not sending off Stevenson in this game, but if he does his job and gives the penalty and sends McPake off for denying a clear goal scoring opportunity, then McPake isn't on the park to be tackled by Stevenson.

Sends off Stevenson yesterday, allegedly after having not done it in the derby.

Anyone got any others I've missed?

The only incident I would go out of my way and say that I doubt an official's integrity involves Hearts and Rangers at Tynecastle.

Collum is just a hopeless referee.

He was the 4th official in the Scottish Cup final and he looks absolutely gutted when collecting his medal, absolute welt of a wee man. Really hope he doesn't get the league cup final.

Steve_Jersey_HMFC

He reffed the first derby this season didnt he, the 1-1 game?

let deegan et al away with fouling templeton all afternoon, didnt even book deegan when he cynically fouled one of our players when breaking in numbers

Let Deegan and McPake kick lumps out of Templeton in the first derby of the season. Temps then reacts and gets a ban.

Let Deegan and McPake kick lumps out of Templeton in the first derby of the season. Temps then reacts and gets a ban.

So in 2 games against Hibs, he's failed to send off Hearts players (Templeton / Stevenson) that he should have.

Collum is an awful ref - and a fairly flawed thread.

He's still not as bad as norris. His refereeing during the semi was absolutely criminal.

Agreed!

Nothing will get me to change my mind that, for whatever reason, Norris wanted Caley in the final.

Maybe not so much "anti-Hearts" but "pro-Caley"? That is, a sort of "give them a chance" sort of thing.

Whatever, the reason, he favoured Caley that day, without any doubt and that, by the strict definition of the word is corruption.

Was Norris not the referee in the Scottish cup semi final last season when we were awardeda soft/debatable penalty v Celtic?

Was Norris not the referee in the Scottish cup semi final last season when we were awardeda soft/debatable penalty v Celtic?

Yes and the only mistake he made in that game was allowing Celtic's goal to stand. It was a clear penalty ...

SFA have to do something, this is beyond a joke, i think referees should be centralised, this isnt a case of when something doesnt go your way, this is his repeatedly pish poor performances.

I think refs in britain should be centralised, IE welsh refs can ref in scotland, as well as english in wales and scots in england, obviously there are tons more english refs than scots and welsh but their will be a way of maintaining a fair balance, Anyway thoughts? - i think this stops any agendas as you cannot have any influence on games, or other refs, Since i highly doubt howard webb (for example) gives 2 ****s of that outcome of say hearts v inverness or celtic v hibs or whatever

IMO kills all accusations of bias agenda's

Fermit the Krog

Other than it being versus Celtic at Hampden can you point out how it was in anyway soft or debatable??

A sad state of affairs that people are letting Celtics/Lennons reaction cloud their judgement on the incident.

I just thought it was a soft/debatable penalty, just my opinion, obviously I'm not going to turn it down, I would just be a bit aggrieved if it was given against us

What's soft about not one, but two handballs in the same incident? :|

Fozzyonthefence

What's soft about not one, but two handballs in the same incident? :|

It was soft because neither was deliberate, therefore, should not have been a penalty as per the laws of the game. If that had been given against us at the other end JKB would have been in meltdown with a seethefest, with conspiracy theories, corrupt officials, etc. They also had a penalty shout at the end for a non deliberate handball too remember, that was correctly not given. In the end, our penalty just cancelled out their offside goal.

Fozzyonthefence

Yes and the only mistake he made in that game was allowing Celtic's goal to stand. It was a clear penalty ...

To be fair, that was the linesman's fault, not his, and it was only inches offside so I wouldn't be overly critical. Our penalty on the other hand - never a penalty. I seriously think that anybody who thinks that was a penalty should stop giving refs abuse and spend their time reading up on the laws of the game instead.

It was soft because neither was deliberate, therefore, should not have been a penalty as per the laws of the game. If that had been given against us at the other end JKB would have been in meltdown with a seethefest, with conspiracy theories, corrupt officials, etc. They also had a penalty shout at the end for a non deliberate handball too remember, that was correctly not given. In the end, our penalty just cancelled out their offside goal.

Do you mean the one involving Webster? That was clearly into his midriff, not his hands / arms.

That's absolute nonsense, the replay clearly showed that it came off Webster's hip.

there is not definition of "deliberate handball" in the FIFA rules, it is all about interpretations, which some FAs include having hands/arms in un natural positions

Fermit the Krog

To be fair, that was the linesman's fault, not his, and it was only inches offside so I wouldn't be overly critical. Our penalty on the other hand - never a penalty. I seriously think that anybody who thinks that was a penalty should stop giving refs abuse and spend their time reading up on the laws of the game instead.

Ok I'll play...

First of all Websters incident didnt even touch his hand so why it is even being debated I don't know. Actually watch the incident instead of listening to Johan Mjallby and you'll see this for yourself.

Regarding the laws of the game you seem so clued up on, can you point out where in FIFAS very own laws of the game document - which is widely available, it describes what a 'deliberate' hand ball is?

I'll give you a clue. It doesn't.

Referees have been taught to look for two things with regard this 'law' - did the hand move towards the ball? or is the hand in a position it would not normally be?....

Firstly, Ledleys arm is in a position it would not normally be and the ball hit his hand.

Secondly, Wanyamas hand moved towards the ball and the ball hit his hand.

You're welcome.

:thumbsup:

But he didn't send of Templeton did he? Temps was banned after the game and not be the ref. He also didn't send of Stevo for what was a shocking tackle in the derby.

The guy is just a crap referee but this witch hunt to excuse another away defeat (or lack of win) is OTT in my opinion.

Hearts beat Celtic in game fair and square. End of. Only obvious error was failing to send Black off for assault, near leg breaker on Ledley.

There are maybe wider issues with referee standards. People I've known have issues about middle class bias in who gets on but need to hear from itk people

But he didn't send of Templeton did he? Temps was banned after the game and not be the ref. He also didn't send of Stevo for what was a shocking tackle in the derby.

The guy is just a crap referee but this witch hunt to excuse another away defeat (or lack of win) is OTT in my opinion.

He is a crap referee, but it's hard to view yesterday's red card as anything other than a carry over from the Derby. If so then he goes from being a crap referee to a crap referee who walks on to the pitch with an agenda. That is why people want to hound him.

Balgreenjambo

In the last game against sellikfootballclub at tynie he refused to book/send off that thug kelvin Wilson despite 4 or 5 cynical fouls.he was pretty reluctant to book wanyama and ambrose that night too.awful ref!!

mahgrassyshoes

Correct that it was the linesman; however, Hooper started yards offside and finished inches offside. He was never at any point onside amd as the linesman was up with play he should have been able to call it offside pretty easily.

A crap referee? Most definitely.

But, to be honest, I would far rather we left the ridiculous paranoia towards officials to Sellic n Hubz fans.....

In the last game against sellikfootballclub at tynie he refused to book/send off that thug kelvin Wilson despite 4 or 5 cynical fouls.he was pretty reluctant to book wanyama and ambrose that night too.awful ref!!

It still a major problem that teams incl CFC, Inverness etc do this. Petty fouls to stop attacking play usually in the middle third. Celtic game was prime example as quoted. When pattern like this is so obvious bookings should follow to stop it. Always deliberate strategy. For me this is the major failing in refereeing just now not dealing with this.

My Falkirk supporting mate says he's a nightmare for them aswell so looks like he's just incompetent instead if corrupt!

I'm not saying he's corrupt. I'm saying he's shite.

I'm just interested to see how many glaring errors he's made while refereeing us.

john brownlee

websters chest stand corrected midrift

Thunderstruck

A crap referee? Most definitely.

But, to be honest, I would far rather we left the ridiculous paranoia towards officials to Sellic n Hubz fans.....

Remove any exaggeration and focus solely on fact and we have clear evidence that the man is incompetent and, further, his incompetence is not equally distributed.

That, to me, is not paranoia but a legitimate basis for doubting the professionalism and integrity of an official.

Remove any exaggeration and focus solely on fact and we have clear evidence that the man is incompetent and, further, his incompetence is not equally distributed.

That, to me, is not paranoia but a legitimate basis for doubting the professionalism and integrity of an official.

Nah, still paranoia in my book...

Ok I'll play...

First of all Websters incident didnt even touch his hand so why it is even being debated I don't know. Actually watch the incident instead of listening to Johan Mjallby and you'll see this for yourself.

Regarding the laws of the game you seem so clued up on, can you point out where in FIFAS very own laws of the game document - which is widely available, it describes what a 'deliberate' hand ball is?

I'll give you a clue. It doesn't.

Referees have been taught to look for two things with regard this 'law' - did the hand move towards the ball? or is the hand in a position it would not normally be?....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SSPy2CoDls

Firstly, Ledleys arm is in a position it would not normally be and the ball hit his hand.

Secondly, Wanyamas hand moved towards the ball and the ball hit his hand.

You're welcome.

:thumbsup:

this ^^^^^

wvc1ds.jpg

You're not the drunk boy from Tannadice who took great delight in shouting this out at him throughout the second half? :vrface:

Well personally I am stunned that the principal teacher of RME at Cardinal Newman RC High School is a Kafflick. I'd go as far as to say it has rocked me to my core.

I don't care if he worships green mice from the cheese moon of afurfacksack he is an incompetent git and if we bring his religion in to it then the flip side of that coin is so can he, or a people just too thick to realise that religion should play no part in this game and those that draw attention to it keep the rot going?

Yes, but he shouldn't have to even contemplate sending off Templeton if he did his job correctly and disciplined McPake and Deegan for their brutal treatment of the boy.

FWIW, I'm not saying he's got an agenda either, I'm merely replying to an OP that was requesting examples of his incompetence.

However, his alleged chat to Stevenson before the game would suggest that he's a vindictive little shit who doesn't possess the integrity to be a straight down the middle referee.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Love the fact that despite saying nothing about conspiracies, Eck has poneyed up a list of glaring errors against us from Collum and people (well, Old Hearts) are straight in there slagging Hearts fans as paranoid and Celtic-esque. :lol:

How dare anyone highlight a burgeoning list of costly errors against us from one particular ref... Away back to Parkhead. :unsure:

You're not the drunk boy from Tannadice who took great delight in shouting this out at him throughout the second half? :vrface:

Was that the same guy who was calling Collum a "bead rattling c%*t" for most of the game and then insisted that collum was a bigot?

Where in the laws of the game does it state a handball should only be given if it is deliberate? Do you get your knowledge from these so called commentators who spout the same drivel?

The Old Tolbooth

He was equally as horrific for Dundee Utd with some of the decisions that went against them too, he's got no agenda against Hearts, he's just an incredibly incompetent referee who barely gets anything correct, as football fans, we only see what he gets wrong when it affects Hearts.

On the other hand, it's very obvious that something fishy is going on between Gollum and Stevenson, and he can't be allowed to get away with that. There is absolutely no way on gods earth that it was a sending off, it was barely even a free kick, Stevenson was a dead man walking right from the off and Gollum knew it was only a matter of time before he nailed him, his only agenda was against Stevo, not Hearts.

jack D and coke

Where was it debatable exactly? That was a penalty every single day of the week but Norris spent most of the semi against Caley trying to make up for it. There's definitely something going on against us sometimes. Could you imagine if a referee treated Celtic like the way we get treated sometimes? The place would be in meltdown.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Lets be fair then, failed to send off Templeton.

Books a disproportionate amount of our players versus opposition almost always is my genuine complaint on this man.

Archived