George Foulkes

Shephanul

What is your opinion of George Foulkes?

He likes having a go at Hibs in the Evening News but is that enough?

He's certainly been controversial throughout his career but is he just a drunken arse as Hibs fans seem to think? Or a good Jambo who has made a few errors in the past?

Hibs opinion

DOn't like the guy, like most Labour politicians, he is happy to milk it when things seem good, but when they are bad it has nothing to do with him - remember he played his part in the Burley statement and controversy, now he is slating the incident and saying it was nothing to do with him - typical Labour crony.

Buffalo Bill

He supports Hearts, likes a bevvy and uses his newspaper column to put pressure on Romanov.

Seems alright to me.

Buffalo Bill

His opinion of the hobo's status looks pretty much spot on to me.

They're obviously hurting at this jibe as it has sparked off their perennial insecurity over on reptiles.net.

So much so it has moved one numbnut to list their trophy haul against ours.

He lists the nineteen oatcake victory cup or something as a major trophy won by them not to mention that Dryburgh nonsense from about 35 years ago.

They really do take this wee team/big team thing badly don't they ?

Foulkes claimed ?45,000 to stay in own London flat

A SENIOR Labour peer has been criticised after he claimed nearly ?45,000 in overnight expenses to stay in a property he inherited from his late mother.

George Foulkes, who is also an MSP, billed the public to stay in a London flat registered as his company's address.

He`s got the cheek to spout off the same kind of stuff to certain ministers:evilno:prize hypocrite that what he is.

He supports Hearts, likes a bevvy and uses his newspaper column to put pressure on Romanov.

Seems alright to me.

Buffalo Bill

Thats not quite true he only became a fan when his son went to uni in edinburgh and started to follow hearts? i think having a politician in the club was helpful, until he got his fingers burnt with VR, then had to sling mud around so he came out looking clean. I have no doubt he was fully involved in everything at that time, until VR didnt want him around anymore!!!!

He's certainly been controversial throughout his career but is he just a drunken arse as Hibs fans seem to think? Or a good Jambo who has made a few errors in the past?

Hibs opinion

Hmmm...difficult to say...

So...what about you? What do you think? :)

His opinion of the hobo's status looks pretty much spot on to me.

They're obviously hurting at this jibe as it has sparked off their perennial insecurity over on reptiles.net.

So much so it has moved one numbnut to list their trophy haul against ours.

He lists the nineteen oatcake victory cup or something as a major trophy won by them not to mention that Dryburgh nonsense from about 35 years ago.

They really do take this wee team/big team thing badly don't they ?

I've read some embarrassing things on vermin.net over the last few years and this has to be in the top 10. How very sad.

It's a tad unfair that he's listed their second division titles considering we've never been down there.

One clown even states that our name isn't on the Scottish Cup (the actual cup, not the plinth). How very sad.

Hibs opinion

This arse should hang his head in shame. He courted Romanov, a spiv who had been seen off by other clubs, and introduced him to Robinson and deans, both desperate to offload their shares to make money and get rid of the pressure they were under.

There is only one man who could have convinced Romanov that he could get ownership of the club by pandering the fans by saying he would keep the club at Tynecastle...........Foulkes.

Mod delete

A total dobber who changes his views when the wind changes direction.Looks on himself as the "voice of the Hearts fans"...he doesnt speak for me!

mod delete

Buffalo Bill
Thats not quite true he only became a fan when his son went to uni in edinburgh and started to follow hearts? i think having a politician in the club was helpful, until he got his fingers burnt with VR, then had to sling mud around so he came out looking clean. I have no doubt he was fully involved in everything at that time, until VR didnt want him around anymore!!!!

What's not quite true?

He is either a Hearts fan or he isn't.

Season Ticket Holder means to me he is.

Buffalo Bill

Pants Shaton
Thats not quite true he only became a fan when his son went to uni in edinburgh and started to follow hearts?

That's not quite true.

George Foulkes went to Edinburgh University in the 60s.

This arse should hang his head in shame. He courted Romanov, a spiv who had been seen off by other clubs, and introduced him to Robinson and deans, both desperate to offload their shares to make money and get rid of the pressure they were under.

There is only one man who could have convinced Romanov that he could get ownership of the club by pandering the fans by saying he would keep the club at Tynecastle...........Foulkes.

mod delete

If it makes you feel better to take your frustration out on George Foulkes, go ahead, but I don't believe I saw anyone making a fuss about the arrival of the 'spiv' at the time. If Foulkes is guilty then to a certain extent, so are the shareholders who sold up...and the fans who welcomed the Romanovs...Two categories which probably account for nearly every single Hearts fan, including you Billy. Unless, of course, you saw this all coming way back then?

As for your comments about Foulkes ..you might want to watch what you say on a public forum. Not everyone will simply dismiss your posts out of hand as utter drivel, so you'd better make sure you have conviction in what you're saying and a lot more than bluster and bravado to back it up with.

An embarassment to all good Hearts fans who tries to deflect the fact he was instrumental in getting Vlad to the club by trying to get onside with Hearts fans by having cheap pops at Hibs with his newspaper article. I wouldn't trust him to run a bath ....

Hmmm...difficult to say...

So...what about you? What do you think? :)

I think he's a hypocrite who has shown to be a very poor judge of character, morality and when to stop drinking. He appears to have no shame.

:)

Guest casper
I think he's a hypocrite who has shown to be a very poor judge of character, morality and when to stop drinking. He appears to have no shame.

He's also one of the very few people who are big enough figures to get the feelings of the majority of Hearts fans aired in the press on a regular basis.

He may have misjudged romanov at the start - but so did many others - but his message now is spot on. It takes a big man to admit to being wrong. romanov should try it.

An embarassment to all good Hearts fans who tries to deflect the fact he was instrumental in getting Vlad to the club by trying to get onside with Hearts fans by having cheap pops at Hibs with his newspaper article. I wouldn't trust him to run a bath ....

I thought you lot didn't do baths anyway?

;)

Ah, I see. He's not the only poor judge of character though, is he?

What does your user name mean btw? It's not an anagram is it? Tunas Help? Penal Tush? Ah, Pen Slut! No?

:biggrin:

If it makes you feel better to take your frustration out on George Foulkes, go ahead, but I don't believe I saw anyone making a fuss about the arrival of the 'spiv' at the time. If Foulkes is guilty then to a certain extent, so are the shareholders who sold up...and the fans who welcomed the Romanovs...Two categories which probably account for nearly every single Hearts fan, including you Billy. Unless, of course, you saw this all coming way back then?

As for your comments about Foulkes ..you might want to watch what you say on a public forum. Not everyone will simply dismiss your posts out of hand as utter drivel, so you'd better make sure you have conviction in what you're saying and a lot more than bluster and bravado to back it up with.

Maybe you didn't see anybody making a fuss but thats because people were hyped up by the spin that Foulkes was giving Romanov at the time. The shareholders who sold up are guilty, they took the money and walked away from the responsibility. We were gullible, willing to believe that Romanov will make things great and I have been a constant critic of his motives ,admittedly not right at the start.

As far as your other comments are concerned get your head out from up your arse. Are you saying that politicians and businessmen don't get together to further their own interests?

Maybe you didn't see anybody making a fuss but thats because people were hyped up by the spin that Foulkes was giving Romanov at the time. The shareholders who sold up are guilty, they took the money and walked away from the responsibility. We were gullible, willing to believe that Romanov will make things great and I have been a constant critic of his motives ,admittedly not right at the start.

As far as your other comments are concerned get your head out from up your arse. Are you saying that politicians and businessmen don't get together to further their own interests?

No, I didn't see anybody making a fuss. Mostly because there was nothing to see. I take it you held on tight to your own shares?

And I'm afraid I said absolutely nothing at all about politicians and their dealings with businessmen. If you read my post again, I'm sure you'll realise your mistake there. My point is simply that unless you have proof, you might not want to make statements like that about people on a public forum. If you DO have proof, you should probably have mentioned it a long time ago...but I'm guessing you don't. Correct me if I'm wrong though, by all means.

Ah, I see. He's not the only poor judge of character though, is he?

No but he's the most vocal and his lack of judgement can prove more important than others'.

What does your user name mean btw? It's not an anagram is it? Tunas Help? Penal Tush? Ah, Pen Slut! No?

:biggrin:

A Help Shun ;)

A total dobber who changes his views when the wind changes direction.Looks on himself as the "voice of the Hearts fans"...he doesnt speak for me!

mod delete

Good point.

sandylejambo

he is still a politition, meaning! he could'nt give you a straight answer if his expenses depended on it, i know i once asked him a straight question, i later had to ask him if english was his second language

some of you lot have short memories,i believe if lord dode never became chairman,we would now be playing at murrayfield,that doesnt bear thinking about,the fact that he has went off romanov,is no worse than the large percentage of fans who now feel the same way.for what its worth he never recieved a penny in payment from the club,while he was the chairman.

Colonel Kurtz
some of you lot have short memories,i believe if lord dode never became chairman,we would now be playing at murrayfield,that doesnt bear thinking about,the fact that he has went off romanov,is no worse than the large percentage of fans who now feel the same way.for what its worth he never recieved a penny in payment from the club,while he was the chairman.

I agree about Lord Dode,he was not the only one who was fooled.

He was forced to defend the Iraq war in Scotland,because none of the glorified cooncilors in Scottish labour were up to the job..

It is pointless to criticise him now,as we need all the help we can get.

spot on colonel,he is still actively trying to find a solution.its no wonder nobody worth their salt wants to get involved publicly,its all pretty sad really.

Colonel Kurtz

My recolection of events was that it was Steve cardownie who initially was involved.

Lord Dode was asked to use his connections to check out Romanovs financial stability and background.

Lord dode also used his experience and nuance to stich up CR and to buy time to avoid the Murrayfield move,mind you I was at the meeting and to quote Kinky Friedman "How hard can it be".

Lord Dode and others like for instance Lesley Deans advised selling out total control ,which resulted in Burleys dismissal the next week,this was a mistake,but I sold mine as well.

No opinion if I'm honest.

Don't have much of an idea about politics, especially the actual MPs themselves, so there is little I can say about him there.

As for his relationship with Hearts I'm not really swayed other way. He brought Romanov in but we were staring into a mire just as bad, if not worse, than this one we are currently residing in. I'm not sure if he could have done more to stop Romanov or if he could have helped by staying on instead of resigning, I'm fairly sure he couldn't have. He was former chairman but most of what he saw is now widely known to the Hearts paying public so all in all I now see him as a Kickbacker but with a higher platform on which to express his views.

All in all, meh.

jambos are go!

I've never formally met George Foulkes but have sat in his vicinity at a few matches and exchanged anonymous sideways banter on the course of the game etc. There can be no doubt that he is committed and enthusiastic Hearts Fan. There can be no doubt that he has the goodwill of the club at Heart even though you might not agree with him on some issues.

I believe he reads JKB so I like to ask him to comment in his column next week on the viability of the plans VR has for Hearts and Macleod Street. I'd truly value his opinion.

DOn't like the guy, like most Labour politicians, he is happy to milk it when things seem good, but when they are bad it has nothing to do with him - remember he played his part in the Burley statement and controversy, now he is slating the incident and saying it was nothing to do with him - typical Labour crony.

He played no part in the Burley statement, only that he was trussed up by Romanov make the statement. The irreconcilible differences were between Vlad and Burley, nothing to do with George. He quite openly acknowledges his part in bringing Vlad and we all bought into Vlad's ideology not George's spin(well I did)

Foulkes claimed ?45,000 to stay in own London flat

A SENIOR Labour peer has been criticised after he claimed nearly ?45,000 in overnight expenses to stay in a property he inherited from his late mother.

George Foulkes, who is also an MSP, billed the public to stay in a London flat registered as his company's address.

He`s got the cheek to spout off the same kind of stuff to certain ministers:evilno:prize hypocrite that what he is.

I don't think he's done anything wrong despite how it may look to you. And where is the hypocrisy?

He doesn't deflect anything, read his articles in the Evening News. As for not trusting him, were you saying that when he secured a years stay of execution for us at Tynie or like all the others lining up on here conveniently forget about it. Romanov would not have touched us with a barge pole if we were playing at soulless Murrayfield with no tangible assets other than a promising young keeper who was probably worth about ?500,000 around that time.

Mod delete

So you blame Foulkes for introducing Romanov to the main protagonists but not the two who; not only took the club to its knees, but who hastily sold out their shareholding?!?

There is only one arse around here.

davemclaren

Briefly spoke to him in a hotel bar in Stuttgart once. Seemed a reasonable bloke and is clearly a Hearts fan. What was the realistic and palatable alternative to Romanov? If another millionaire came along now to buy VR out who wouldn't say yes....:confused:

Don't rate George as a politician though. ;)

Like the guy's views

Not sure if he should spwak on behalf of hearts fans

Pretty sure he has best interest at heart

to answer the OP

Would like to to think think we arent judging him on politics here.

davemclaren
Like the guy's views

Not sure if he should spwak on behalf of hearts fans

Pretty sure he has best interest at heart

to answer the OP

Would like to to think think we arent judging him on politics here.

Who is qualified to speak on behalf of Hearts fans though? :cool:

jambos are go!
Who is qualified to speak on behalf of Hearts fans though? :cool:

The majority of the folk who post on here think they are.

The guy is a balloon whose sole aim in life is to squeeze as much as he can from the taxpayer. He is a chancer of the first water. Don't let the man of the people act fool you. As for him being a season ticket holder and worthy of respect, I expect a couple of mornings sleeping on the benches of the House of lords would more than pay for that. Some of us find paying for a season ticket a real financial commitment. He licked Blair's @rse and got his knighthood now he bangs the same drum every week whilst trousering every allowance he can lay his hands on.

jambos are go!
The guy is a balloon whose sole aim in life is to squeeze as much as he can from the taxpayer. He is a chancer of the first water. Don't let the man of the people act fool you. As for him being a season ticket holder and worthy of respect, I expect a couple of mornings sleeping on the benches of the House of lords would more than pay for that. Some of us find paying for a season ticket a real financial commitment. He licked Blair's @rse and got his knighthood now he bangs the same drum every week whilst trousering every allowance he can lay his hands on.

A bit like 25% of the working age male population of Scotland then. I dont agree. If you wanted to line your pockets with connections like him Tynecastle is hardly the best place to hang around.

He doesn't deflect anything, read his articles in the Evening News. As for not trusting him, were you saying that when he secured a years stay of execution for us at Tynie or like all the others lining up on here conveniently forget about it. Romanov would not have touched us with a barge pole if we were playing at soulless Murrayfield with no tangible assets other than a promising young keeper who was probably worth about ?500,000 around that time.

You think that's a worse situation than now? :eek:

Debt free with a decent squad, good manager and an up and coming young keeper? Sounds brutal right enough.

You think that's a worse situation than now? :eek:

Debt free with a decent squad, good manager and an up and coming young keeper? Sounds brutal right enough.

Undoubtedly, had we left Tynecastle our life expectancy would be considerably shorter than it is now. At least we now have an owner who has the power to inject a shot in the arm whether he decides to do so or not is up to him. We wouldn't have been debt free either. Levien wouldn't have hung around with clubs like Leicester courting him. Unless your holding yourself out as a soothsayer who could see all this happenig, Romanov was the only show in town for all of us not just George Foulkes.

Shephanul
Undoubtedly, had we left Tynecastle our life expectancy would be considerably shorter than it is now. At least we now have an owner who has the power to inject a shot in the arm whether he decides to do so or not is up to him. We wouldn't have been debt free either. Levien wouldn't have hung around with clubs like Leicester courting him. Unless your holding yourself out as a soothsayer who could see all this happenig, Romanov was the only show in town for all of us not just George Foulkes.

Granted they're both ****e situations to be in but at least there'd be some degree of control for people who care about Hearts. Romanov is not going to provide that shot in the arm as you are well aware. Perhaps Levien might have left anyway, at least his predecessors would have been given a chance to manage properly.

Not to sure on this but how many shares did he sell to Romanov ?.

Shephanul
blah, blah predecessors would have been given a chance to manage properly.

I mean successors, obviously ;)

Geoff Kilpatrick

First of all, good fishing by the OP!

Secondly, GF is becoming a little tiresome in his comments in the EEN. I don't disagree with his sentiments but saying them week after week isn't going to change things. It's like certain posters on here who focus on Robbie Neilson or the need for quality managers - they've made their point, have you anything else to add?

Thirdly, on Romanov vis-a-vis Murrayfield etc. The positives from Vlad were obvious and they did produce tangible results in his first season, despite his brain farts like sacking Burley. That is why a lot of us "tolerated" (for want of a better word) his "influence" in team matters. If it produced results, no one would really care. If it didn't, we hoped he would learn from the experience.

As it happens, it appears that either he has learnt but is reluctant to take his hands off, or he has learnt but the managerial hunt is proving elusive because no one trusts him, or he hasn't learnt and is trying to spin the situation but it isn't working. Either way, Hearts fans aren't buying the spin anymore and want action to back up the rhetoric. If the action matches the rhetoric then things will settle down again. There is no real demand for Vlad to go at present, there's a demand for him to "wise up".

Archived