School Camp...

JennyJambo

Well that's my 11 year old away to school camp. I say school camp but in reality it's 2 days in Belgium and 6 in Paris with trips to Disneyland and Parc Asterix!

When I did school camp it was Aberfoyle in P5 in a wooden hut thing sharing a dorm with about 20 girls or Abington in P6 which was 10 days away and your Mum and Dad got to come for a visit! It got a bit cosmopolitan in P7 though with a week long trip to London!

So JKB'ers, did you go to school camp?

P7 Benmore - never went

S1 Lagganlia - never went

S3 France with a trip to Parc Asterix - Loved it.

Wasnt really one for going on Camp trips

Doctor FinnBarr
Well that's my 11 year old away to school camp. I say school camp but in reality it's 2 days in Belgium and 6 in Paris with trips to Disneyland and Parc Asterix!

When I did school camp it was Aberfoyle in P5 in a wooden hut thing sharing a dorm with about 20 girls or Abington in P6 which was 10 days away and your Mum and Dad got to come for a visit! It got a bit cosmopolitan in P7 though with a week long trip to London!

So JKB'ers, did you go to school camp?

Yep, Abington as well. Don,t remember too much apart from 2 other schools constantly fighting each other and being able to sit back and watch cos I was a neutral. Think it cost ?2.

:confused:

Csaba's Broon Shoes

I did the P5 Aberfoyle trip around 1979/80 ish

I remember writing a letter home , the whole class did no just me

I was a bit homesick for the first few days i remember but enjoyed all

the outdoor activities , no tv for the 10 days , happy days

My wee girl is going to Benmore with the school at the end of September, for 5 days. It's costing ?240 for the five days and two of those will be cut short as they are travelling up and down.

I went to Lochgoilhead in 1979 ish, rained for the two weeks and think it cost my mum and dad around ?15 pounds for the fortnight. They came to visit on the Sunday and we all had to write letters home too.

Mainly remember eating jam sandwiches as the food was awful. Lumpy custard eeewwww.

You're a wee touch older than I am AJ! Just a wee touch mind!

I think I did Aberfoyle about 84, Abington would have been 85 and London in 86.

I mind being at Abington with Broomhouse and Preston St Primary's. The former I remember cause we had 2 girls from Broomhouse in our room (One was called Lorraine and she's a big Jambo these days I believe!) the latter I remember cause I had a camp romance with a laddie called John who went to that school!

Orienteering, hill climbing, swimming (Abington had an outdoor pool!) and the tuck shop...you got about 10p a day to spend and pocket money was limited to ?2!! My brat is away with ?100!

chester copperpot
My wee girl is going to Benmore with the school at the end of September, for 5 days. It's costing ?240 for the five days and two of those will be cut short as they are travelling up and down.

I went to Lochgoilhead in 1979 ish, rained for the two weeks and think it cost my mum and dad around ?15 pounds for the fortnight. They came to visit on the Sunday and we all had to write letters home too.

Mainly remember eating jam sandwiches as the food was awful. Lumpy custard eeewwww.

I remember coming to visit you on the sunday.

Went on school camp p2, but have no idea where we went, all I know is that I fell out of bed and have a bump on ma heid for the rest of my life. I also went to school camp in P6, in Aberfoyle, and fancied a girl who wore George Michael sweatbands.

Radio Ga Ga
Yep, Abington as well. Don,t remember too much apart from 2 other schools constantly fighting each other and being able to sit back and watch cos I was a neutral. Think it cost ?2.

:confused:

Yep, went there myself in the 70's, Glengonnar I think it was called

Loved the flying fox, making rafts in the river (the Clyde I think) also had the outdoor pool (more like a paddling pool) which we used for 'It's a knock out'

Mums & dads all down on the Sunday and the tears from the so called 'hard nuts' when they left, oh the memories.....

Went to York in P7

Went to France in S2 with a visit to Parc Asterix, probably the best part of the trip seen as the rest kind of fell apart.

We were meant to visit a chocolate factory, which no doubt would have been the highlight, but it was being renovated or something so that was cancelled last minute. Instead we went to the Olymic Museum, which involved going on a boat in horrible weather, and I threw up!

We were also meant to go toboganning, which was cancelled because that place was also closed.

I seem to remember spending over a day shopping instead.

Wasn't too bad a trip, I'm guessing the school made some money out of us though with everything that was cancelled and just telling us to go shopping instead.

Stuart Lyon

Furthest I got was in primary when we went on a train trip to the salmon ladder at Pitlochry. They had an in-train TV thing that you could go on and serenade the entire party with a song while being on telly. The only other trip was 'doon ra water' to Rothesay.

My big brother got to go to Aberfoyle where they had an early version of paintball (this is back in the late 50s, early 60s) and he also got a cruise trip on the Dunedin I think. Don't understand how I didn't get to go on either unless it was because I was too brainy! :)

Can't remember where we went, all I remember is that just about every single person got sick at one point on the trip in a group that must have spanned about 70 people. I only sustained a nasty headache one day but some people came down with tonsilitis.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

We went to Middleton Hall near Dalkeith in Primary 7

Scary it was

Ray Winstone

P6 went to Laganlia

P7 went to Dounans

High school

S1 - London history trip

S3 - Dublin Hockey tour also the whole year got taken to Carbisdale and Ullapool for 10 days.

S4 - Berlin and Prague

S5 - Dublin again

S6 - Den Hague - Hockey tour.

Had some amazing school trips!

i didn't do a proper school trip, but twice went to sunday school camp

i would be 8 or 9 for the first one to aberdeen & the follwing year we went to inverness

they converted a school classroom both years, into dorms for about 20 kids.

there was also a tuck room that sold bottles of cream soda.

i remember cutting my foot on a makeshift water slide they made by taping black bin bags together, pinning them at the top of a small hill and throwing a garden hose over it to make it wet & slidey

ah, when kids were really kids, and the summers lasted for ever

Ray Winstone

Our school offered a cruise to the med for ?1000!!!

Parents were not up for that chat.

I went to Dounans in Aberfoyle when i was in P7, in the early 80s. I loved it! Then to Holland twice on High school trips. But the best fun was Guide Camp. We went to Vogrie and sometimes Dunbar. Great fun.

Ray Winstone
I went to Dounans in Aberfoyle when i was in P7, in the early 80s. I loved it! Then to Holland twice on High school trips. But the best fun was Guide Camp. We went to Vogrie and sometimes Dunbar. Great fun.

Guide camps had nothing on Scout camp.

2 weeks under canvas in the wilderness - playing with knives and fire - what else could you ask for!

They take you to the local swimming pool half way through to get a shower!

We went to Compiegne near paris for 2 weeks in the 70's with Darroch...

Had a trip to the vineyards and place that bottled champagne :mj_zivili:

We were allowed to buy a half bottle each, as we were 14 /15 ..

Miller Jambo 60

AJ i was there 72 and i cried cause i missed my mum and dad.

We were in a dorm with the Greendykes boys ( that was nice not)

Climbed a big hill where you could see Glasgow, that was fun.

To be honest it was good fun and i met some new pals.

FAE broomie they were sound.

Ray Winstone
AJ i was there 72 and i cried cause i missed my mum and dad.

We were in a dorm with the Greendykes boys ( that was nice not)

Climbed a big hill where you could see Glasgow, that was fun.

To be honest it was good fun and i met some new pals.

FAE broomie they were sound.

WTF Is Greendykes boys?

ive not always been the charming young man i am now;)

Mods.... someone has logged into eddie account!!!!!:P

maybe i took that a bit far:)

aye you said it;)

i'm away for my shot on the wii fit:rolleyes:

eddie fenwick
aye you said it;)

i'm away for my shot on the wii fit:rolleyes:

is your age down to 60 odd yet?

is your age down to 60 odd yet?

45!! the machine is faulty ofcourse, they way the rate it is pash, just coz my balance is **** doesni make me 45 ffs.

whats yours then?

portobellojambo1

Primary School -

Abington

Ben More

Ben More

London

Secondary School -

Guebwiller, Alsace

Guebwiller, Alsace

Guebwiller, Alsace

Sheep Heid, Duddingston (for 2 days during exams).

eddie fenwick
45!! the machine is faulty ofcourse, they way the rate it is pash, just coz my balance is **** doesni make me 45 ffs.

whats yours then?

says i have the body of a 21 year old body builder(44)

portobellojambo1
45!! the machine is faulty ofcourse,

If you are looking for a true response in relation to what age you look ask John. Don't think you'll disbelieve your Wii Fit's output again after that. ;)

I tried it once, it told me I died 4 years ago, useless piece of Japanese keek was out by 6 months.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

P5 - York

P6 - Newtonmore

P7 - Dalguise

S2 - Guernsey

S3 - French Alps (Geography)

Can't mind much about York. It was a learning trip though

Newtonmore, Dalguise and Guernsey were just outdoor adventure weeks

French Alps was mainly work. We were too early for Euro Disney, but did get to go to some adventure park involving climbing trees and walking along ropes and stuff. First folk to ever use it, so were filmed for French telly apparaently

Primary - West Linton (P6)

Secondary - Bonskied House (up north somewhere for 4 days)

- Lagganlia (ski trip)

- Majorca (3 years on the spin on a 'tennis trip')

Those were the days!

Legend Claws

These trips are crazy! Must put a lot of pressure on parents to come up with the cash?

I went to Doonans (spl) in p7 and got eaten by midgies, punched by ***** from other schools and given one weetabix for breakfast every morning. Still had a ball though!

I went to Benmore when I was in 1st year and then went back when I was in 6th year as a helper. It is a great place for kids to go!

heartgarfunkel

Glengonnar 82 with Parson's Green, Royal High PS and a 'St.' PS - there was an old idiot that worked there and kept trying to scare us at night with stories, he just got told to **** off. The Falklands war was on & we felt isolated, only P7. An old stone brig collapsed & some Royal High geezers got injured. There was quite a lot of scrapping between the schools, and I remember a wee shop in Biggar got robbed blind. Went down an old lead mine if my memory serves me right. It was a great experience on reflection. Lucky enough to visit the WW1 battlefields in Belgium & France in 85 with Porty, amazing trip, '19' was number one, and some of the boys got ripped for breakdancing to it wearing their Nike kagoules in the youth hostel disco. School camps/trips were superb, just wish all bairns got an opportunity to experience them.

Archived