U20s right back

davie1980

With McGowan unlikely to play again, Hammill still injured and Thomson still not being flavour of the month, we are going to be struggling at right back and may need to dip into the youth squad again

I saw Billy Kings brother (Andy?) had been playing right back for the U20 earlier in the season. I saw him come on in midfiled a couple times last and thought he looked a tidy enough player, but i'm guessing he may be a bit short of first team level.

Frazer Mullin was a stand out at right back last season, i know they've been trying top turn him into a midfielder due to his fine passing ability, but he would be the best option for me

Other ideas would be possibly dropping Paterson back in there or maybe McGowan Jr.

Darren Barr has played right back, but i really think he is needed in midfeild

Jambof3tornado

I wouldnt move Barr, as we are now getting the best out of him. Not sure if baby gowser has played much if any at rb.

With McGowan unlikely to play again, Hammill still injured and Thomson still not being flavour of the month, we are going to be struggling at right back and may need to dip into the youth squad again

I saw Billy Kings brother (Andy?) had been playing right back for the U20 earlier in the season. I saw him come on in midfiled a couple times last and thought he looked a tidy enough player, but i'm guessing he may be a bit short of first team level.

Frazer Mullin was a stand out at right back last season, i know they've been trying top turn him into a midfielder due to his fine passing ability, but he would be the best option for me

Other ideas would be possibly dropping Paterson back in there or maybe McGowan Jr.

Darren Barr has played right back, but i really think he is needed in midfeild

Adam King has been fine this season in central midfield and latterly as a right back, but not ready for the first team for some time, Darren Barr would be the obvious choice,with Prychynenko or McGowan taking the holding midfield role. Fraser Mullen has to find the form he had last season.

Footballfirst

Dylan McGowan has played right back before and I can see McGlynn asking him to play there rather than Barr.

However, looking forward to the League Cup semi, Barr is suspended so we need to decide on who will play the holding midfield without him available. With the two week break coming up, we don't have a lot of time to experiment.

pretty sure dylan played at RB for most of his loan spell over here in Australia, haven't got many options though so it's worth a shot. Not keen on Patterson moving back into defence either, would much rather him out wide on the wing.

Would expect Hamill to slot straight in at RB when fit. Until then I got a sinking feeling mcglynn will stick barr there.

I think (footballfirst may correct me) that we released a right-back a couple of seasons ago who was promptly signed by the St Johnstone youth system. He looks a real talent in most of the u20 games I've seen this season.

The management wanted to use Paterson as a right full back, I imagine they'll go with that again if/when Ryan McGowan goes.

Paterson would offer a really attacking threat down the right and with Webster guiding him through the games defensively, it could be very successful for us.

HeartsForever

The management wanted to use Paterson as a right full back, I imagine they'll go with that again if/when Ryan McGowan goes.

Paterson would offer a really attacking threat down the right and with Webster guiding him through the games defensively, it could be very successful for us.

Apart from the fact he cannot defend

Footballfirst

I think (footballfirst may correct me) that we released a right-back a couple of seasons ago who was promptly signed by the St Johnstone youth system. He looks a real talent in most of the u20 games I've seen this season.

David, I think the guy you are talking about is Chris Tobin. He was a very skilful midfield player but never played right back while he was at Hearts. As you say St Johnstone signed him this season, but it is they who have converted him into a right back. He had an excellent game playing there against our U20s earlier in the season.

Hungry hippo

Hamill. If not ready, Patterson.

This. Paterson is a cert to play RB against Hibs assuming Gowser is unavailable.

Re FF's point about the holding midfield position for the league cup game. I think Dylan is the obvious long term replacement for Barr so would expect him to step in while he is suspended.

Jambof3tornado

I thought Brad McKay was on loan to get first team experience with a view to him slotting in there.

Isn't he off to Leeds?

oh ah grantona

Time to get the SOS out to Tommo B)

This. I see no point in wasting football talent he done wrong but everyone deserves a second chance. A very young boy who sent and was sent a few dodgy stuff over the internet from girls. i dont think he was ever involved in any other way ( i maybe wrong here) its been that long.

oh ah grantona

Paterson. Yes he can defend. Mythtastic stuff to suggest he can't.

got to say i had no problem back there, the only problem was moving gowser

Guest Bilel Mohsni

got to say i had no problem back there, the only problem was moving gowser

Yup. He was excellent in that derby. All our fullbacks seem to take a while to become complete players. Wallace took long time to suss out his defensive role and the same could be said of Gowser. The only one I remember looking fantastic defensively early on was Gary Naysmith. Paterson would do fine at RB.

It'll be Paterson.

I'd prefer Mullen, but, I'd have no issue with it being Paterson. Moving Dylan McGowan or Darren Barr there would be a mistake, IMO.

Hearty Harry

This. I see no point in wasting football talent he done wrong but everyone deserves a second chance. A very young boy who sent and was sent a few dodgy stuff over the internet from girls. i dont think he was ever involved in any other way ( i maybe wrong here) its been that long.

This! Tommo has paid his dues

All Gone Wrong

I would give Mullen a go,from what i've seen of him he would fit in no problem,he deserves a chance.

Adam King looked decent to me in the U20 games I've been at...decent physique and looks good going forward. Seem to remember he linked up well with Jamie Walker.

I think Mullen is left back...?

Adam King looked decent to me in the U20 games I've been at...decent physique and looks good going forward. Seem to remember he linked up well with Jamie Walker.

I think Mullen is left back...?

Was Mullen not being moulded from a RB into a CM?

Id put Dylan there myself as sure he can play right back.Def need to keep Barr in the midfield role as has been playing well recently.I get the shout for Patterson but I think he is better attacking and has looked good against Utd and Killie and been unlucky not to score.He is also a good option off the bench if we start derby with Stevo and Driver wide

This! Tommo has paid his dues

No he hasn't and he should never play for the club again.

not just a game

A right back who won the clubs Young Player of the Year award (Mullen) should be looking to kick on and take this opportunity to stake a claim for a regular place in the team.

Yet being Hearts we never make things easy as this season we have decided to try and retrain him to play a new position. Surely if we want to move players positionally this should be identified when they are 15/16 and not when they are older

Footballfirst

A right back who won the clubs Young Player of the Year award (Mullen) should be looking to kick on and take this opportunity to stake a claim for a regular place in the team.

Yet being Hearts we never make things easy as this season we have decided to try and retrain him to play a new position. Surely if we want to move players positionally this should be identified when they are 15/16 and not when they are older

Fraser was already playing in CM in the 2nd half of last season. This season he has played RB, LB and CM and I don't think the switching around to allow others to play in their favoured positions is helping his game. Add to that, a month out with a knee injury and a couple of red cards and it hasn't been his best season thus far. He is one of the youngsters who doesn't have a contract for next season as yet, so he needs to make the best out of any opportunity he gets. If he doesn't get a chance of 1st team football in the next month or two I think, for his own benefit, he would be better to go out on loan.

not just a game

Fraser was already playing in CM in the 2nd half of last season. This season he has played RB, LB and CM and I don't think the switching around to allow others to play in their favoured positions is helping his game. Add to that, a month out with a knee injury and a couple of red cards and it hasn't been his best season thus far. He is one of the youngsters who doesn't have a contract for next season as yet, so he needs to make the best out of any opportunity he gets. If he doesn't get a chance of 1st team football in the next month or two I think, for his own benefit, he would be better to go out on loan.

Exactly the point I was making. Playing one of our more promising prospects out of position to accomodate others is stupid. I have not saw Mullen as often as you but the times I have he looked to have real potential at right back.

Guest oldcastlerock2012

I think Mullen might step up now. Maybe Patterson would be the best bet for the derby though especially as he's coming off the bench these days anyhow.

Charlie-Brown

Mullen played right back all through the age groups at youth level, only slight problem he might have at first team level is height at set pieces etc as like Craig Thomson he isn't the tallest.

Hearty Harry

No he hasn't and he should never play for the club again.

You are entitled to your opinion! Albeit from all that you believe in the papers!

He's never going to get a second chance in Britain. The torrents of abuse he'd get over here would absolutely destroy his confidence and ability to play at a decent level. Can't say I have any sympathy for him.

Archived