Jack Reacher

Alan_R

I know there is a movies thread but just wanted to say Jack Reacher is probably the film I've enjoyed most this year. Better than Skyfall and Bourne.

You should all go see it!

I'll definitely go and see it but I'm still very disappointed in the casting of tom cruise as jack reacher.

Remember its a Tom Cruise production and he is allegedly a big fan of the books. I wasn't convinced by him playing the part but I just decided to accept the movie character was going to be a bit different from the book.

He gives himself a few one liners and wise cracks which Jack Reacher wouldnt really do in the books. There is the obvious physical differences but putting that aside Cruise does a good job portraying the no nonsense, ex military type.

Maybe others will see things different. It might have helped I had low expectations going to see it but I would definately recommend. I hope they make more.

Seen it. Got to be honest disappointed. Cruise does not work at all. The plot doesn't flow very well either.

Should have been good but it wasn't.

I think with book to screen adaptations there will always be alot of people who feel it should be exactally the same.

I was not convinced by cruise as reacher at all before I saw it. but ignoring what I know of the books I thought Cruise done a decent job with what he brought to the film.

Say What Again

I'll have trouble convincing myself that wee welt Cruise is 6ft 5,got to be the worst bit of casting ever.

Totally agree.

I've read about a dozen of the books and always had a younger, American, Dolph Lundgren type character in my head. In the book I've just finished, he's been digging swimming pools in Florida and says he's in the best shape of his life. 6ft 5", and has gone up from 220lb to 250lb of solid muscle. He gets described as looking like a condom full of walnuts he's that ripped. Another girl says his clenched fists resemble footballs.

6ft 5", 17 stone of solid muscle, ex major in the military police. Aye, screams Tom Cruise to me :(

Another thing that doesn't quite fit is the what looks like a car chase scene in the trailer, where he's booting a sports car around, handbraking the corners. I don't ever recall any car chases in any of th books. It's almost like they've used the Jack Reacher name but developed a totally different, James Bond type character - albeit a midget one.

I'll still watch the film out of curiosity, but have a feeling it will be more enjoyable to those that aren't a fan of the books.

Thoroughly enjoyed it, although I haven't read the books but if he's a 6ft 5 tank in the books, the casting if Cruise would annoy me aswell.

Good film though.

Governor Tarkin

I really can't stand the sight of Tom Cruise and as such avoid his films, which is a pity as this looks pretty good from the trailer and friends have raved about the books. The only thing I enjoyed him in was Interview with a Vampire in which he plays a total ****.

Disser Pointon

Just back from the pics and it was awful. have read all the books and, aside from cruise being god awful casting the film is generally very poor.

Malinga the Swinga

Tom Cruise should never ever ever have been allowed to ruin what is a great series of books by playing Reacher in any movie. That is all.

Disser Pointon

Thought he was awful in it. Moot read books so didn't haven't any preconceptions. But there were some tongue in cheek humour lines which are so wooden.

Ironically film made me want to read the books. Despite thinking it was poor just felt it had all ingredients but failed to deliver.

The books are great, he's a terrific character but about as far removed from Tom cruise as you can get!

If you like the genre Robert Crais and Matt Hilton are very good as well.

Fermit the Krog

Which Reacher book is the film based on?

Got to be honest and say the casting will probably stop me from paying money to view it.

Which Reacher book is the film based on?

Got to be honest and say the casting will probably stop me from paying money to view it.

One Shot

I've been trying to think of someone established who could be better placed than Cruise, so far I have Gerard Butler, after you're talking about wrestlers etc the fact is there is no one out there

That doesn't excuse the piss poor casting though but I'm guessing the only way it got off the ground was him getting the top billing

I've been trying to think of someone established who could be better placed than Cruise, so far I have Gerard Butler, after you're talking about wrestlers etc the fact is there is no one out there

That doesn't excuse the piss poor casting though but I'm guessing the only way it got off the ground was him getting the top billing

Thought Hugh Jackman would have made a good Jack Reacher tbh

or the dude that played The Punisher.

I don't know anything of the books so I checked it out on Wiki. The guy is meant to be 52 years old, Ron Perlman or someone of that type would be a good shout. Just a shame Lee Marvin wasn't around at the right time.

Governor Tarkin

I don't know anything of the books so I checked it out on Wiki. The guy is meant to be 52 years old, Ron Perlman or someone of that type would be a good shout. Just a shame Lee Marvin wasn't around at the right time.

Lee Marvin eh. I'd have been up that Fountain Park in a flash.

Although a quick check on IMDB gives these two and that's about it

http://uk.imdb.com/name/nm0000630/

Liev Schreiber, best shout I've heard so far. Not sure about his height, as he is not that tall from what I remember?

Definately can carry off that gritty, no nonsense approach though. Plus he is a good actor unlike a few other suggestions I'd heard.

I'll definitely go and see it but I'm still very disappointed in the casting of tom cruise as jack reacher.

I'm not sure about going along to see it. Like you I am disappointed in Tom Cruise being cast in the role as Jack Reacher because having read Lee Child's books he is nothing like Jack Reacher. Absolutely love the books and would recommend them but not sure on the film.

Liev Schreiber, best shout I've heard so far. Not sure about his height, as he is not that tall from what I remember?

Definately can carry off that gritty, no nonsense approach though. Plus he is a good actor unlike a few other suggestions I'd heard.

Just under 6' 3"

Went to see it last night and really enjoyed it, despite having some wild animal of a man munching his popcorn at a ridiculously high volume sitting next to me. :muggy:

Say What Again

Cracking review from the Wall Street Journal :lol:

"Jack Reacher," which Christopher McQuarrie directed from his adaptation of a Lee Child crime novel, is not just another dumb thriller. It's almost peerlessly self-important, weirdly incoherent and eerily smarmy. It's also mysteriously inept, considering that Tom Cruise plays the title role, a mythical veteran of Iraq who goes from city to city righting wrongs.

What is Mr. Cruise doing here? What is he doing to his increasingly erratic career? He was perfectly fine in last year's elaborate installment of "Mission Impossible," to which Mr. McQuarrie reportedly contributed rewrites, because the movie had the bright idea of providing fun. The actor is no fun at all in his Jack Reacher incarnation, which amounts?not just for him?to an exercise in filmed taxidermy. Not even the radiantly gifted Rosamund Pike survives the production's crippled dialogue, stylistic gropes in the direction of film noir and feeble attempts at absurdist comedy, not to mention, though I will, a succession of ludicrously leering close-ups.

Before the screening, friends expressed mild pleasure that the studio was providing free popcorn and soda. No, no, I told them, you don't understand. Free popcorn and soda at a screening is a red flag; it almost always means the studio knows the movie is a turkey. How little I knew of what the studio must know. This movie is a turkey gone rancid.

Cracking review from the Wall Street Journal :lol:

"Jack Reacher," which Christopher McQuarrie directed from his adaptation of a Lee Child crime novel, is not just another dumb thriller. It's almost peerlessly self-important, weirdly incoherent and eerily smarmy. It's also mysteriously inept, considering that Tom Cruise plays the title role, a mythical veteran of Iraq who goes from city to city righting wrongs.

What is Mr. Cruise doing here? What is he doing to his increasingly erratic career? He was perfectly fine in last year's elaborate installment of "Mission Impossible," to which Mr. McQuarrie reportedly contributed rewrites, because the movie had the bright idea of providing fun. The actor is no fun at all in his Jack Reacher incarnation, which amounts?not just for him?to an exercise in filmed taxidermy. Not even the radiantly gifted Rosamund Pike survives the production's crippled dialogue, stylistic gropes in the direction of film noir and feeble attempts at absurdist comedy, not to mention, though I will, a succession of ludicrously leering close-ups.

Before the screening, friends expressed mild pleasure that the studio was providing free popcorn and soda. No, no, I told them, you don't understand. Free popcorn and soda at a screening is a red flag; it almost always means the studio knows the movie is a turkey. How little I knew of what the studio must know. This movie is a turkey gone rancid.

Have to agree with some of that tbh, but still thought it was enjoyable.

Say What Again

Have to agree with some of that tbh, but still thought it was enjoyable.

Yep, it currently scores a more than respectable 7.3/10 on IMDb.

I'm guessing the guy from TWSJ didn't vote :D

The last book made a lot of mentions of his lack of driving skills, so either Lee Child is having a laugh at Tom Cruise doing car chase scenes in the movie, or he's forgotten all there is to know about driving since One Shot, lol!

Bear in mind they have to appear to be at least in their 40s which rules out Tom Hardy and the Supernatural guys

You're right mate. Only thought about that after I'd posted.

Who else...Mark Wahlberg? He's quite wee though, I think. Not a huge fan of him either after he played Max Payne.

Just watched and have to say it's the worst book adaptation since Angels and Demons, it even managed to miss out two integral characters ( the nbc reporter and Barr's sister)

Archived