decent pubs in stockaree or the new town to watch the football

Commander Harris

Commander Harris

heading out to watch west brom v southampton on the tele box in teh pub.

I'd usually go to berts in stockbridge for such games as it's handy but I've really gone off the place since their change in management a while back.

any suggestions?

I'd usually go to berts in stockbridge for such games as it's handy but I've really gone off the place since their change in management a while back.

any suggestions?

Berts will have it on

Tic will have it on

Baillie will have it on

Commander Harris
Berts will have it on

Tic will have it on

Baillie will have it on

tic?

take it that's the antiquary?

any suggestions?

Really scraping the barrel for an excuse to go to the pub with that one.

;)

Berts will have it on

Tic will have it on

Baillie will have it on

Can't really explain why, but this is possibly my favourite pub in Edinburgh.

Commander Harris
Really scraping the barrel for an excuse to go to the pub with that one.

;)

yup :)

nah, just meeting a mate and the pubs as good a place as any. :biggrin:

Commander Harris

bailley is an excellent pub - don't think it's great for watching the football though.

Tooo dark mate... the Antiquary is my fave just along the road, used to live directly across the road from it which helped.

If you go in they'll put it on one of there tv's Im sure.

Even try the cask and barrel another fav of mine.

Commander Harris

opted for the antiquary.

really starting to like that place. might head along tomorrow night for the poker. :)

Tooo dark mate... the Antiquary is my fave just along the road, used to live directly across the road from it which helped.

If you go in they'll put it on one of there tv's Im sure.

Even try the cask and barrel another fav of mine.

I will be in Berts on friday about five Kenny, you can buy me a beer. :)

I will be in Berts on friday about five Kenny, you can buy me a beer. :)

Some of us have jobs mate... ;)

Would love to Deeks, if I wasnt working in Leith Thursday & Friday.

Really dislike Berts now, went down hill rapid when it was bought over from Wine and Spirit. Pint price increases and food is awful.

Still pop in for a pint now and then but wouldn't get my weekly pie and beans any more.

opted for the antiquary.

really starting to like that place. might head along tomorrow night for the poker. :)

there food is quality... breakfast on a sunday, there roasts for ?6 and even there lunch menu.... Staff are sound too.

All good.

Commander Harris
Some of us have jobs mate... ;)

Would love to Deeks, if I wasnt working in Leith Thursday & Friday.

Really dislike Berts now, went down hill rapid when it was bought over from Wine and Spirit. Pint price increases and food is awful.

Still pop in for a pint now and then but wouldn't get my weekly pie and beans any more.

spot on, it's really gone down hill. I used to love the place too. a pie, a pint and a game of chess with the old boys. sadly, the food is crap, the prices have rocketed and the regulars are no more. :(

there food is quality... breakfast on a sunday, there roasts for ?6 and even there lunch menu.... Staff are sound too.

All good.

not tried the food yet, will give the roast a try. :)

spot on, it's really gone down hill. I used to love the place too. a pie, a pint and a game of chess with the old boys. sadly, the food is crap, the prices have rocketed and the regulars are no more. :(

not tried the food yet, will give the roast a try. :)

Hard to beat there food for the price..... apart from Kays Bar on jamaica street, they must have the best pub lunches going... fantastic food for unbelievable prices!

Defo head down one sunday for a roast, seen myself sit there from opening till the last game on a sunday, squeezing a roast in between pints.... bliss.

So you 2 both frequent the tic too, oh dear ;)

Quite a few interesting 'characters' in there.

Its full of them.... me being one. ;)

Infact no doubt be there on Wed.

Changed day in the Auntie Mary if they show sport now. It used to be a fantastic den of seediness in the 80's. Also the first pub to sell Stella on draught and bottles of Furstenberg. A few lost weekends in there back in the day.

The Wicker Man

Not casting aspersions on those who drink in these pubs ;)

Was Kays bar the old Key West ? and was The Antiquary not owned by a Lesbian - no big deal now but was a 'talking point' in the early 80s.

Mind you 'The laughing Duck' used to be a good bar for women ( and the odd poseur ). I remember it closed for refurbishment - a few of us went up after it reopened and we were warned before going in by the doorman, that the bar might not be for 'us'. Went in, ordered the beers and noticed that there were no mixed couples :oopsoops:

Worked in both Kays and a few shifts in the Antiquary back in the days. Loved the old 'tic - carpet was that minging your feet used to stick to it. The wee back room used to be a "games" room - machines were always broken.

Not casting aspersions on those who drink in these pubs ;)

Was Kays bar the old Key West ? and was The Antiquary not owned by a Lesbian - no big deal now but was a 'talking point' in the early 80s.

Mind you 'The laughing Duck' used to be a good bar for women ( and the odd poseur ). I remember it closed for refurbishment - a few of us went up after it reopened and we were warned before going in by the doorman, that the bar might not be for 'us'. Went in, ordered the beers and noticed that there were no mixed couples :oopsoops:

Dont think so, pretty sure its been Kays for quite some time....

The Wicker Man

Cheers - just wondering.

It's been over 20years since drinking down that way.

The Antiquary used to have a small video arcade section back then - Lunar Lander, Missle Command, Galaxian etc. :)

Cheers - just wondering.

It's been over 20years since drinking down that way.

The Antiquary used to have a small video arcade section back then - Lunar Lander, Missle Command, Galaxian etc. :)

Pretty sure Kays has been Kays for at least 20yrs so you might still be right mate.

The Antiquary used to have an absolutely brilliant jukebox. With the added advantage of 2 terminals, so if you saw someone in the other room putting a pound in you could rush up to the other one and bang in a few selections while they were looking through the selections. Then you had the entertainment of your own songs while watching someone ranting at the bar staff that they only got one song for a pound.

The Antiquary used to have an absolutely brilliant jukebox. With the added advantage of 2 terminals, so if you saw someone in the other room putting a pound in you could rush up to the other one and bang in a few selections while they were looking through the selections. Then you had the entertainment of your own songs while watching someone ranting at the bar staff that they only got one song for a pound.

No juke box just Northern Soul, which seems to be on all the time.

They also have a few decent bands and stuff on now and then.

I worked in Kay's full-time early in 1976, shortly after it opened. Before that it was a wee obscure off sales shop, called .... Kay's.

Can't count the amount of times I fell down those vertical steps into the cellar....followed by a pitched battle with thousands of those really annoying fruit fly things.

Stuart Lyon

Haven't been in Kays for years but it used to be great. The Baillie was called the Grand Bar when I first visited it in the late 60s when my old man maintained the garden at Royal Circus.It was a great bar then. In the late 90s/early 2000s my mum was the cleaner and the staff were brilliant to her.

Never took to Berts but hey ho everyone to their own taste. The Vat used to be good but again never been in it for ages.

Hows was berts Deek????

Heard on friday that its up for sale again. After the brewery ripped every bit of goodness from it, driving away locals, they whack it up for sale... would be interested to find out what other local units they had.

Archived