Mince & Tatties

ArcticJambo

I want mince and tatties. Might make it for Sunday dinner... Cancel that match on. Pub....

Cannae beat mince & tatties its gid honest grub. I remember my granny used to make stewed sausages also and stovies.

Stewed sausages are disgusting.

I love mince and tatties.

It must be butchers mince though. :thumbsup:

When I was a bairn we'd get it at my granny's and it was brilliant. When my mum made it it was awful.

It took years to work out it was awful because my mum always bought rubbish supermarket mince.

Mince using it's own real gravy.

800g Mince

1 Onion (finely chopped)

1 Carrot (finely chopped)

1 stick of celery (finely chopped)

1 garlic clove (finely chopped)

1 TBL tomato puree

1 TBL butter

1 TBL plain flour

750ml boiling water

3 beef stock pots

2 TBL Worcester sauce

1 TSP French mustard

1 Bay leaf

Sprig of Thyme

1) Gently sweat the onion, carrot, celery and garlic in a pan for about 10 mins on a low heat. Make sure they don't colour. The finer you can chop them, the more flavour you will get.

2) Add the tomato puree and continue to gently fry for 5 mins.

3) Add the butter and plain flour to the pan. Keep stirring for a few minutes to get rid of the flour taste/smell.

4) Turn the heat up and slowly add the water stirring continuously. It will go very thick at first.... that's normal. Don't add the water too fast or you will end up with a watery gravy.

5) Turn the heat down to a simmer and add the stock pots, Worcester sauce and French mustard.

6) In a frying pan, fry the mince on a high heat. A lot of liquid usually comes out of the mince. Keep frying until the liquid has evaporated. At this point, the mince starts to really fry and caramelise..... realy important for flavour.

7) Add mince to gravy mixture along with the Bay leaf and thyme.

8) Very gently simmer for 2 hours, removing the Bay leaf and thyme after 20 minutes.

9) Add seasoning to taste.

Use with tatties, or make a cottage pie.

You will never use Bisto again, I promise you.

800g Mince

1 Onion (finely chopped)

1 TBL tomato puree

1 TBL butter

1 TBL plain flour

750ml boiling water

3 beef stock pots

2 TBL Worcester sauce

1 TSP French mustard

1 Bay leaf

Sprig of Thyme

1) Gently sweat the onion, carrot, celery and garlic in a pan for about 10 mins on a low heat. Make sure they don't colour. The finer you can chop them, the more flavour you will get.

3) Add the butter and plain flour to the pan. Keep stirring for a few minutes to get rid of the flour taste/smell.

4) Turn the heat up and slowly add the water stirring continuously. It will go very thick at first.... that's normal. Don't add the water too fast or you will end up with a watery gravy.

5) Turn the heat down to a simmer and add the stock pots, Worcester sauce and French mustard.

6) In a frying pan, fry the mince on a high heat. A lot of liquid usually comes out of the mince. Keep frying until the liquid has evaporated. At this point, the mince starts to really fry and caramelise..... realy important for flavour.

8) Very gently simmer for 2 hours, removing the Bay leaf and thyme after 20 minutes.

Almost exactly the way I make it! Though like to add a splash of red wine or port for that middle-class vibe!

You a chef by any chance?

BoJack Horseman

800g Mince

1 Onion (finely chopped)

1 TBL tomato puree

1 TBL butter

1 TBL plain flour

750ml boiling water

3 beef stock pots

2 TBL Worcester sauce

1 TSP French mustard

1 Bay leaf

Sprig of Thyme

:what:

Almost exactly the way I make it! Though like to add a splash of red wine or port for that middle-class vibe!

You a chef by any chance?

A splash of red wine sounds good. :thumbsup:

I'm not a chef, but I do like to cook.

:what:

Celery is brilliant in mince. The combination of the onions, carrots and celery is used a lot in cooking. It creates a great flavour mate.

I bet you have eaten celery so many times in restaurants without realising it.

A splash of red wine sounds good. :thumbsup:

I'm not a chef, but I do like to cook.

Would use pretty much the same recipe for making a steak pie filling (though with steak rather than mince obviously!), perhaps with some juniper berries to add an interesting twist of flavour.

Just wondering ... Is this still a regular weekly meal for most ? As a kid growing up I remember my mum making it on a weekly basis .... loved it; still do. :thumbsup:

Mrs AJ has it on the go just now ... may actually be our kids favourite meal.

Curious to whether we could gauge from JKB whether this meal is still a popular dish in Scotland.

.... and, mash the tatties or just cut them into small bite (decent bite mind) chunks ?

Cannae beat Mince 'n' Tatties

3275629_f520.jpg

800g Mince

1 Onion (finely chopped)

1 TBL tomato puree

1 TBL butter

1 TBL plain flour

750ml boiling water

3 beef stock pots

2 TBL Worcester sauce

1 TSP French mustard

1 Bay leaf

Sprig of Thyme

Not bad but you've forgot the peas

:verysmug:

Not bad but you've forgot the peas

:verysmug:

You've already been told, your peas aren't welcome on this thread.

I was so influenced by this thread I had mince and tatties tonight.

Nae peas.

Nae peas.

Don't be so narrow minded , how about instead of just plain old peas we used cheesy peas ? bet that would turn you!

Don't be so narrow minded , how about instead of just plain old peas we used cheesy peas ? bet that would turn you!

Listen, I'm not sure I trust someone called Cow posting about a beef based meal.

Nae peas.

As did I. No peas either :thumbsup:

Nae peas or carrots through it ffs!

If you want carrots, make a cottage pie!

And that 2 hour plus recipe for mince - jeez. How is it real gravy - with THREE BEEF STOCK POTS? :cornette:

Just season the mince with pepper, roll it in flour, brown off in a frying pan, add water and simmer for 20-30 minutes. Skim off most of the fat that rises to the top and then chuck in bisto or corn flour if it needs thickened.

Comes out amazing as you've sealed all the beef's own flavours in. The flavour comes from the mince being hung for long enough, if it's decent quality it needs nowt else imo.

And mash - for decent mash always drain the tatties and then mash 'em in the same pot you cooked em in with a knob of butter and salt.

Sorted.

Oh and +1 for finishing off the mince & tatties with buttered bread. Anyone make a piece with it when they were younger?

mmmmm nom nom it needs one more special ingredient tho

HP%20Sauce.jpg

:jjno:

Just salt and pepper, a JKB poster I know used to cover his with Heinz Tomato Ketchup :cheesy:

Food of champions.

Boiled tatties mashed down with fork and plenty butter. Onions in the mince, rare occasion sliced carrots. If I'm making it for more than myself (ie kids) sometimes mash the tatties in the pan and stick blend with butter and a dash of cream.

Warbuttons and lurpack at the side for dooking up all the leftovers on the plate. With Heinz ketchup :smuggy:

BoJack Horseman

Nae peas.

As did I. No peas either :thumbsup:

Nae peas or carrots through it ffs!

If you want carrots, make a cottage pie!

And that 2 hour plus recipe for mince - jeez. How is it real gravy - with THREE BEEF STOCK POTS? :cornette:

Just season the mince with pepper, roll it in flour, brown off in a frying pan, add water and simmer for 20-30 minutes. Skim off most of the fat that rises to the top and then chuck in bisto or corn flour if it needs thickened.

Comes out amazing as you've sealed all the beef's own flavours in. The flavour comes from the mince being hung for long enough, if it's decent quality it needs nowt else imo.

And mash - for decent mash always drain the tatties and then mash 'em in the same pot you cooked em in with a knob of butter and salt.

Sorted.

Oh and +1 for finishing off the mince & tatties with buttered bread. Anyone make a piece with it when they were younger?

:yas:

Barney Rubble

Just salt and pepper, a JKB poster I know used to cover his with Heinz Tomato Ketchup :cheesy:

Thats just wrong on so many levels like !

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Mince and tatties should NEVER I repeat NEVER have thyme, red wine or tomato puree in them. Its mince and tatties not a fricking bolognaise we're making here!

Butchers mince, carrots, onions, salt and pepper and a wee bit of stock for it to cook in.

End of!

Mince and tatties should NEVER I repeat NEVER have thyme, red wine or tomato puree in them. Its mince and tatties not a fricking bolognaise we're making here!

Butchers mince, carrots, onions, salt and pepper and a wee bit of stock for it to cook in.

End of!

This!

And guess what favourite am having for ma dinner the night?????

wrong Lamb Dhansak.... Yum

heartgarfunkel

That is just ******* ignorant, the kind of attention-seeking deviancy that self-loving needy ***** like Robbie Williams would indulge in :11300:

That is just ******* ignorant, the kind of attention-seeking deviancy that self-loving needy ***** like Robbie Williams would indulge in :11300:

ewww.

I do know a family who eat everything with ketchup, even on top of curries!?

And who won't drink water because they don't like the taste.

People eh.

ewww.

People eh.

Now that is just so wrong on so many levels, ewwwwww

The Future's Maroon

Its called Monday Mince in my house, every week without fail...also, ditched the traditional boiled/mashed tatties for Roast tots with my mince, its the way forward I tells ye!

Its called Monday Mince in my house, every week without fail...also, ditched the traditional boiled/mashed tatties for Roast tots with my mince, its the way forward I tells ye!

Nah, Mash with a big dollop of mustard mixed in. Tasty as feck.

If they served it at the Witchery with a seasonal garnish I'm sure you'd be slaveriing dollops on your plus-fours as you arsed it down.

A Boy Named Crow

Mince and tatties is an utterly bland and rubbish scran. Not had it once since I moved out from my parents house many years ago.

Agree 100% It's the kind of meal I can eat if I have to, but my heart sinks when I find out it's on the way! Give me a curry, pasta, pizza a stir fry or fajitas before mince and tatties any day of the week.

Agree 100% It's the kind of meal I can eat if I have to, but my heart sinks when I find out it's on the way! Give me a curry, pasta, pizza a stir fry or fajitas before mince and tatties any day of the week.

Ooh, get you Mr international cosmopolitan. :10900:

If they served it at the Witchery with a seasonal garnish I'm sure you'd be slaveriing dollops on your plus-fours as you arsed it down.

Fine dining restaurants don't serve tasteless shit :)

Would rather eat one of the seal cubs you club to death tbh B)

Used to get it every Friday when i was younger.

Would never eat it now, boring as hell and looks horrid.

Fine dining restaurants don't serve tasteless shit :)

Would rather eat one of the seal cubs you club to death tbh B)

Was meant to go seal hunting today after attempting to find my 600 which broke last Friday on the way fishing, and is somewhere 20 miles out there on the ice, but got lazy. Lying around in me shorts, gorging on Twizzlers listening to Craig Burley spouting shite about todays games ... should have gone seal blasting instead. :frown:

Saying that, I've had plenty of very fine meals over the years but a good mince & tatties is hard to beat - top winter nosh. :thumbsup: Could murder even a half-decent curry the now mind.

Was meant to go seal hunting today after attempting to find my 600 which broke last Friday on the way fishing, and is somewhere 20 miles out there on the ice, but got lazy. Lying around in me shorts, gorging on Twizzlers listening to Craig Burley spouting shite about todays games ... should have gone seal blasting instead. :frown:

Saying that, I've had plenty of very fine meals over the years but a good mince & tatties is hard to beat - top winter nosh. :thumbsup: Could murder even a half-decent curry the now mind.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Brilliant.

And now you're talking re: curry. Right in the mood for one of them :pinilla:

ewww.

People eh.

Could they stay in craigshill? When I stayed there around 11 years ago I knew of a family who were exactly the same.

Arf, we should meet up and discuss this over a latte!

That would have to be in the morning then. Only a charlatan would have a milk based coffee after breakfast time.

A Boy Named Crow

That would have to be in the morning then. Only a charlatan would have a milk based coffee after breakfast time.

In that case I hope you don't mind that I will still be sporting my house-coat as one rarely carries out one's ablutions before lunchtime.

Mince and tatties is an utterly bland and rubbish scran. Not had it once since I moved out from my parents house many years ago.

Well its obvious,( yer Maw's a rubbish cook.!)

I've no had home made mince n tatties in about 15 year. I'm pure gaggin on it.

As a kid my parents turned there nose up to it. As an adult, no ***** can be bothered making anything lol. If i make something its usually fajitas (my favourite meal of all time)

Archived