Trapped Nerve in Neck

Konrad von Carstein

Konrad von Carstein

Have been suffering with this since the weekend and as I don't like going to the doctors for this kind of thing I didn't go until Tueday. Symptoms were severe neck & shoulder pain and pain down my left arm to my fingers. It's been hell and ibuprofen etc didn't touch the pain his response was to prescribe Tramedol which TBH scared me a wee bit.

I started taking them and to be fair they have eased (masked?) the pain a lot. However the side effects are not so good, extremely dry mouth (made worse due to me having had a saliva gland removed a few years ago) drowsiness and itching all over among others.

There is still some pain but I've decided I'm not taking any more and wnt to try a sports massage (keep it clean) to ease the pain but am looking for recommendations, I live in EH14 and believe there is one in Dalry, SPACE?

Has anyone used them or recommend one in or around EH14? An idea of cost would be good too.

Have been suffering with this since the weekend and as I don't like going to the doctors for this kind of thing I didn't go until Tueday. Symptoms were severe neck & shoulder pain and pain down my left arm to my fingers. It's been hell and ibuprofen etc didn't touch the pain his response was to prescribe Tramedol which TBH scared me a wee bit.

I started taking them and to be fair they have eased (masked?) the pain a lot. However the side effects are not so good, extremely dry mouth (made worse due to me having had a saliva gland removed a few years ago) drowsiness and itching all over among others.

There is still some pain but I've decided I'm not taking any more and wnt to try a sports massage (keep it clean) to ease the pain but am looking for recommendations, I live in EH14 and believe there is one in Dalry, SPACE?

Has anyone used them or recommend one in or around EH14? An idea of cost would be good too.

I dont know much about them, but if its any use, the Edinburgh Caps are sponsored by Space and use them as well. They seem to be recommended.

Konrad von Carstein

I dont know much about them, but if its any use, the Edinburgh Caps are sponsored by Space and use them as well. They seem to be recommended.

Cheers for that Chester, I have a look on their website.

I doubt it is actually a trapped nerve, the nerves are coated in Myelin(sp) this swells and causes the pain, I know I have had it. Not much to be done, it will ease and the swelling go down eventually. Sports massage won't help too much, what did help me a lot was Tiger Balm, spread liberally where the pain was, mostly down my left arm.

Bestest,

jt

Konrad von Carstein

I doubt it is actually a trapped nerve, the nerves are coated in Myelin(sp) this swells and causes the pain, I know I have had it. Not much to be done, it will ease and the swelling go down eventually. Sports massage won't help too much, what did help me a lot was Tiger Balm, spread liberally where the pain was, mostly down my left arm.

Bestest,

jt

Cheers jt

I had been using tiger balm & hot as I could stand baths with no relief - one way to get some relief was to simply hold my hand up (like at school when you wanted to ask a question)

I regularly get a "crick" in my neck which normally eases after a day or to and at the start i thought it was another one, but Christ this is/was on another level - felt like I'd been hit by a truck!!

I was originally diagnosed with a trapped nerve and given physio for it , which didn't work.

Bursitis was the next diagnosis and was given a cortesone injection into the joint , which one nothing.

Finally , after an MRI scan , a crushed disc was diagnosed. Had an op to fix it 6 weeks ago and I am now finally back at work , but I am still pretty limited on what I can do.

I spent over a year taking diclofenac and tramadol but now I'm clean. From first visit to docs to getting the op done was over 2 years.

If symptoms persist after physio , insist on a second opinion or an MRI scan

My missus had a trapped nerve last year and was in pure agony for weeks. Got strong painkillers but also diazepam from docs. to help sleep at night.

She also went to a physio who strapped her up across the neck and shoulders to ease the pressue on the nerve which helped quite a bit. The physio was actually a female who had a small practice in Kirkliston and she was excellent and gently worked the nerve free after a few sessions.

She was pretty tidy too because i had to do all the driving for a few weeks to and from the physio. :cool4:

Maybe a wee bit out your way but could get the number if you are interested.

Konrad von Carstein

My missus had a trapped nerve last year and was in pure agony for weeks. Got strong painkillers but also diazepam from docs. to help sleep at night.

She also went to a physio who strapped her up across the neck and shoulders to ease the pressue on the nerve which helped quite a bit. The physio was actually a female who had a small practice in Kirkliston and she was excellent and gently worked the nerve free after a few sessions.

She was pretty tidy too because i had to do all the driving for a few weeks to and from the physio. :cool4:

Maybe a wee bit out your way but could get the number if you are interested.

Thanks for that, I actually work on the Heriot Watt campus so getting to Kirkliston after work wouldn't be too bad - I've left a message at Space for them to call me back but a recommendation is a good thing to have. If you could get it you could pm me the number or put it up on the thread.

Cheers

Thanks for that, I actually work on the Heriot Watt campus so getting to Kirkliston after work wouldn't be too bad - I've left a message at Space for them to call me back but a recommendation is a good thing to have. If you could get it you could pm me the number or put it up on the thread.

Cheers

PM sent.

Be careful that it is only a trapped nerve. I was getting treated for the same. Ended up it was a slipped disc in my neck. So just make sure it is "only" the trapped nerve. I had very strong stuff called Gabapentin that helped a lot. Also amatriptyline helped along with damazapan,dihydrecodine and declephenac. Watch out for the codine,it turns your shit to concrete. Rips the hell out of ring. I'm in Edinburgh working tomorrow so I could bring in anything you need. No charge,I'm not drug dealing. Just I know what op Ku s going through.

Be careful that it is only a trapped nerve. I was getting treated for the same. Ended up it was a slipped disc in my neck. So just make sure it is "only" the trapped nerve. I had very strong stuff called Gabapentin that helped a lot. Also amatriptyline helped along with damazapan,dihydrecodine and declephenac. Watch out for the codine,it turns your shit to concrete. Rips the hell out of ring. I'm in Edinburgh working tomorrow so I could bring in anything you need. No charge,I'm not drug dealing. Just I know what op Ku s going through.

Did you get surgery ? I did and as soon as the morphine wore off the next day I coul feel the difference

Cheers! :)

Can also recommend the physio in Kirkliston. Mines was for a broken wrist which is a bit different but she was excellent. Best of luck.

I had very strong stuff called Gabapentin that helped a lot.

I got that for problems with my nose. I had horrific withdrawals symptoms after using it.

Juan Jose Carricondo Perez

Not sure if its still there but try The Edinburgh Sports Injury Clinic in Currie. I went there for rehab after a shoulder op. excellent wee practice.

I have used space clinic in the past as has my daughter and at least 3 of my training buddies and would highly recommend them. I've been to a few over the years but would always go to space now.

Archived