Walker and Holt

We_are_the_Hearts

We_are_the_Hearts

Looks like it could start to happen for them in the first team soon. Clearly the 2 youngsters who have a big chance of being that extra bit special and having good careers as well as making us a few bucks! Along with McGhee, King and D McGowan there is some room for optimism there.

We_are_the_Hearts

Just didn't happen for him in my opinion. His range of passing was out and a lot of his passes fell short of their target. Looks like he could be a pass and move type of midfielder with a reasonable amount of dig and defo wouldn't rule him out.

loveofthegame

Who is McGhee and where does he play? Try to keep up-to-date with the youngsters but must say its a name im unfamiliar with.

Alex MacDonald

Jordan McGhee, still only 16. Played centre-half last night but also comfortable in midfield. Excellent passing and put in several perfectly timed tackles last night in very difficult conditions.

Last night was my first viewing of the U 20's and I was very impressed. Crisp, passing football, excellent movement and running off the ball and - most pleasing of all, for me - good techniques from most of the lads.

Based on admittedly one game, I was particularly impressed by:

Denis P Strong as an ox, cool on the ball, decent simple passing and a thunderous shot (3 out of 3 free kicks brought a save out of the goalie - whose hands must still be stinging!)

Walker and King very direct, not afraid to shoot for goal and interchangesd well

G Smith worked really hard, not giving the visitor's defence a rest; took the ball in well, always looking for a team mate to pass to and looked for return ball

What the team really did for me though, was ENTERTAIN. I donated the contents of my wallet to attend and it was cash really well spent!

One dampener, though. I bought shares for myself and my three sons before the game, but was disappointed to note that the ticket office was closed immediately after I was served (about 7pm). While I understand the staff have a home to go to, I would have thought that, given the depth of financial horse poo we find ourselves in, the office could have remain open until say 30 minutes after last night's game to sell more shares / merchandise. Even another 10 shares block purchase could have generated another grand or two. Must say though that the staff were unbelievably helpful and upbeat in what is a an especially worrying time for them. For we supporters, our club is at risk, but they have the worry of redundancy in the festive period to contend with as well.

jamboinglasgow

Last night was my first viewing of the U 20's and I was very impressed. Crisp, passing football, excellent movement and running off the ball and - most pleasing of all, for me - good techniques from most of the lads.

Based on admittedly one game, I was particularly impressed by:

Denis P Strong as an ox, cool on the ball, decent simple passing and a thunderous shot (3 out of 3 free kicks brought a save out of the goalie - whose hands must still be stinging!)

Walker and King very direct, not afraid to shoot for goal and interchangesd well

G Smith worked really hard, not giving the visitor's defence a rest; took the ball in well, always looking for a team mate to pass to and looked for return ball

What the team really did for me though, was ENTERTAIN. I donated the contents of my wallet to attend and it was cash really well spent!

One dampener, though. I bought shares for myself and my three sons before the game, but was disappointed to note that the ticket office was closed immediately after I was served (about 7pm). While I understand the staff have a home to go to, I would have thought that, given the depth of financial horse poo we find ourselves in, the office could have remain open until say 30 minutes after last night's game to sell more shares / merchandise. Even another 10 shares block purchase could have generated another grand or two. Must say though that the staff were unbelievably helpful and upbeat in what is a an especially worrying time for them. For we supporters, our club is at risk, but they have the worry of redundancy in the festive period to contend with as well.

Glad you enjoyed the game, couldn't make it due to work but its always great when the young guys show people what they can do and how there is a way to play an entertaining style of football with the right style. A hat-trick for Walker will be a big confidence boost for him, I do think that he should have been used more from the start of the season as he had come back from a loan deal where he had a great time and it should be used for him taking it to the next level with he is confident, but he was rarely used and dropped for weeks. Hopefully he can get more time to kick on as he is an exciting player.

Don't know if it was just me but I thought Robinson was quite quiet and poor. Didn't look like someone who has had a lot of first team action in the last couple of years.

Surprised to see Ridgers start as well. He was still limping when he came out to do his warm up.

Walker was good. Definitely needs some first team minutes. He's got some ping on him. Jason Holt seems like a prospect too. Always liked him since I first seen him play. Think they are the 2 I'm most excited about. They could be the missing sparks in the team we are after.

The Old Tolbooth

Walker looked sharper than anything we currently have in the first team at the minute, and boy, can he hit a ball!!!!

Don't know if it was just me but I thought Robinson was quite quiet and poor. Didn't look like someone who has had a lot of first team action in the last couple of years.

Surprised to see Ridgers start as well. He was still limping when he came out to do his warm up.

Walker was good. Definitely needs some first team minutes. He's got some ping on him. Jason Holt seems like a prospect too. Always liked him since I first seen him play. Think they are the 2 I'm most excited about. They could be the missing sparks in the team we are after.

I thought Robinson was good. Always available for a pass, moving into space, looked comfortable on the ball, looking to get others involved in the play. At 2-0 down I thought his attitude was spot on.

But then I thought he was good for us last season and obviously others don't agree.

Walker looked much more like his old self. I've been a bit disappointed with him the couple of times I've seen him recently, but he seemed to grow in confidence almost visibly after his first goal and for the rest of the game he was superb.

I thought Robinson was good. Always available for a pass, moving into space, looked comfortable on the ball, looking to get others involved in the play. At 2-0 down I thought his attitude was spot on.

But then I thought he was good for us last season and obviously others don't agree.

Walker looked much more like his old self. I've been a bit disappointed with him the couple of times I've seen him recently, but he seemed to grow in confidence almost visibly after his first goal and for the rest of the game he was superb.

I don't think he was bad or that, just don't think he looked like someone you could more or less class as a first team regular.

Footballfirst

Walker is a confidence player. You see it in his demeanour when things aren't going well for him, the body language is wrong and he looks tired. Last night was the reverse for him. As soon as he scored his first goal, he was up for it, looking for the ball, willing to take players on or play the right pass. He got better and better as the game went on and didn't show any of the "tiredness" he has shown in previous games.

When last night's version of Jamie Walker turns up, he is a real talent, but he needs to be more consistent with it.

Footballfirst

I agree. He had a shaky opening 20 minutes but improved markedly thereafter. He was the driving force in midfield in the second half.

Jordan McGhee, still only 16. Played centre-half last night but also comfortable in midfield. Excellent passing and put in several perfectly timed tackles last night in very difficult conditions.

Was he number 5, Alex? Was quite impressed with him!

I felt that tapping had a good first half- always looking around for a pass and keeping the 'Well team on their toes. I felt that he fell away a bit in the seconf half. For Robinson it was the opposite for me- first half, not so good and often tried longer range passing which didn't meet the man. IN the second half he looked better, was making better passes and keeping the ball.

The Wee Fella was raving about Jordan McGhee when he came back home . I wish I had made it last night but I'm looking forward to Saturday

Footballfirst

I felt that tapping had a good first half- always looking around for a pass and keeping the 'Well team on their toes. I felt that he fell away a bit in the seconf half. For Robinson it was the opposite for me- first half, not so good and often tried longer range passing which didn't meet the man. IN the second half he looked better, was making better passes and keeping the ball.

I think Tappy may have been carrying a bit of an injury as he didn't train the previous day.

Walker was good. Definitely needs some first team minutes. He's got some ping on him. Jason Holt seems like a prospect too. Always liked him since I first seen him play. Think they are the 2 I'm most excited about.tho They could be the missing sparks in the team we are after.

thought Robinson was like a young Barry ferguson last night after the first 20 mins always looking for the ball , available for the ball and driving forward . Thought the whole team were good though very pleasing on the eye

thought Robinson was like a young Barry ferguson last night after the first 20 mins always looking for the ball , available for the ball and driving forward . Thought the whole team were good though very pleasing on the eye

I wasn't at last nights game, but this has struck me before and I have commented as such on here, making that very comparison. Still, loads (bizarrely) didn't rate Barry Ferguson so I'm not surprised he is often lampooned. I'd say that it is more of a statement of where we are as a footballing public in Scotland.

I wasn't at last nights game, but this has struck me before and I have commented as such on here, making that very comparison. Still, loads (bizarrely) didn't rate Barry Ferguson so I'm not surprised he is often lampooned. I'd say that it is more of a statement of where we are as a footballing public in Scotland.

Agree 100%

Watched la liga round-up today where they were talking about the impact of the barca and real academy's. Biggest point made about barca was bravery to play them in 1st team. Guy on show said Real dont produce for own team and if pedro and busquets had been at them they would be elsewhere.

I made a point about a golden generation earlier and this is the perfect time for them.

Lets get more of them playing in 1st team.

The wages we pay to some bang average players is the cause of this mess and has been since 07.

Near Post Zibby !

Agree 100%

Ferguson's ball retention was 100% He could be mind-numbingly cautious but he never gave the ball away. Can't really say Scott Robinson's ball retention is in the same league (yet)

scott herbertson

For me McGhee was the biggest surprise - not getting to see these games usually (as I live in London) I was very impressed with his composure on the ball.That he is just 16 is amazing. Walker was a great inside half in the second half - gave us the kind of goal threat that Cameron and Rudi had. Thought Robinson played very well and I agree with the Ferguson comparisons - such players are great when you are winning but frustrate when you are chasing a game as we scots (and I include myself in this) are too impatient.

I thought the numbers 2 and 10 (?Mullin and Nicholson?) also played well. Billy King looks talented but a bit raw and a bit selfish (not necessariuly always a bad thing...)

For me McGhee was the biggest surprise - not getting to see these games usually (as I live in London) I was very impressed with his composure on the ball.That he is just 16 is amazing. Walker was a great inside half in the second half - gave us the kind of goal threat that Cameron and Rudi had. Thought Robinson played very well and I agree with the Ferguson comparisons - such players are great when you are winning but frustrate when you are chasing a game as we scots (and I include myself in this) are too impatient.

I thought the numbers 2 and 10 (?Mullin and Nicholson?) also played well. Billy King looks talented but a bit raw and a bit selfish (not necessariuly always a bad thing...)

I saw him play last season at under 19 level and was instantly impressed. I honestly think he could be like McLaren and be in our side from an early teenage.

Mullen looks quite stocky with a touch of the Hitler Youth about him! :laugh: Nicholson reminds me both visually (when I say that I mean build and running style) to a young Anthony Smith we once had on our books. I have a sneaky feeling that these lads could do a decent job for us but not take the next step.

See Holt was taken off with a 'back' injury for Scotland 21's - Hope hes ok as would love to see them both starting on Saturday.

As someone who watched Barry Ferguson from the age of about 12, Scott Robinson is light years behind him. However, having watched Jason Holt from roughly the same age (14) Holt is the nearest thing Scotland has to BF but in my opinion is without doubt more creative. For me, Scott Robinson (like many) has unfortunately gone backwards quite significantly in the past three or four years.

Archived