Florida

Everybody loves Baz

Everybody loves Baz

Been roped into going to Florida next year as the Mrs thinks our Daughter is at the right age (7).

Anyway, there must be thousands of KBers that have been and I'm looking to pick your brains.

We've already paid the villa ( Windsor Hills country club ) Apparently the closest gated village to Disneyland ? so if anyone's been there info gratefully received.

We've just got a price back for car hire ?400 for a fortnight (Alamo car hire ) which I think is very reasonable ?

The worst thing about this, and it's giving me headaches, is what parks do we go to ?? Everywhere has 2 weeks for 1 deals but I know there is no chance of us doing the lot of them so I was wondering how do you narrow it down ?

I've already been told by a work colleague not to do theme parks at the weekend as it's far too busy but that's the only bit of advice I've been given......

Until now......

We done all the parks when we went. The Disney ones are more suited for your daughter's age, although I'd avoid Epcot. She'd probably enjoy SeaWorld for the animals and shows, but the rides there, from what I recall, are more geared towards older kids/adults.

Definitely look around for tickets. There are so many options and deals and it can be difficult to work out what the best one is for you. Moneysavingexpert site has some tips on this.

I loved Florida, planning on going back next year.

Everybody loves Baz

We done all the parks when we went. The Disney ones are more suited for your daughter's age, although I'd avoid Epcot. She'd probably enjoy SeaWorld for the animals and shows, but the rides there, from what I recall, are more geared towards older kids/adults.

Definitely look around for tickets. There are so many options and deals and it can be difficult to work out what the best one is for you. Moneysavingexpert site has some tips on this.

I loved Florida, planning on going back next year.

Cheers, meant to say that one day has been booked up already, the wife and child are booked to go swimming with Flipper at Aquatica so we've got a day pass for that booked in.

Just back myself with my son from my first trip and and loved it, amazing holiday.

Can't give you advice on where your staying as I stayed in International Drive and used the hotels shuttle bus service to get to the parks.

In terms if parks Disney is obviously a must, Magic Kingdom and Hollywood being my two favorites there.

Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard beach are also not to be missed, I used the water parks as my 'rest days' as such.

I know a lot of folk that go and stay nearer Disney don't bother with Universal but if you can afford it and want to cram in as much as possible then don't miss them.

My son was 9 when we travelled and old enough to go on most rides, however I'd say the universal ones are slightly more 'grown up' than the Disney ones.

I'd also recommend Seaworld if you have time.

I decided against Busch Gardens (more grown up rides) and also against Legoland and Kennedy partially due to lack of time and also to do with the travel time.

Check out a forum called The DiBB loads of great advice on there.

In terms of how busy parks are that site has predictors and there are apps you can get that do similar, it depends when your going as to how busy parks are on certain days.

I'd say this is the most important thing, planning your schedule as it could save you loads of time.

Another tip is Disney now have wifi so you can check ride times when in the parks easily now.

Myself and my son were about ?800 for our park tickets so they don't come cheap but you can see where the money is spent.

Ps Fantasy Land will be open in Magic Kingdom next year, think your daughter will love it.

pps you will absolutely love this holiday!!!

Cheers, meant to say that one day has been booked up already, the wife and child are booked to go swimming with Flipper at Aquatica so we've got a day pass for that booked in.

Presume you mean Discovery cove as you don't swim with dolphins at Aquatica? You do go through them on a flume.

You can swim with sharks in Typhoon Lagoon btw,, included in your ticket, its amazing!

Everybody loves Baz

Presume you mean Discovery cove as you don't swim with dolphins at Aquatica? You do go through them on a flume.

You can swim with sharks in Typhoon Lagoon btw,, included in your ticket, its amazing!

Yep, just went to check and it is Discovery Cove lol.

Gonna play nine holes as well if I've got time, Had a wee look at DiBB just now and looks as though it could be very helpful when it comes to planning. I'm usually a 'deal with it later ' kinda person but have been told planning Disney holidays is a must...

Honestly planning will be the most important thing you do with this holiday, I'm similar minded but I hate to think what id have missed if I hadn't planned for once.

Good luck fitting everything in, the 2nd week just flies past!

Wouldn't go anywhere else if it was up to me. My daughter is confined to a wheelchair and everywhere you go around Orlando is very wheelchair friendly.

Personally think staying on international drive is better but appreciate the practicalities of a villa. Magic Kingdom, Animal kingdom, both universals and sea world are a must.

jambos are go!

Make sure your car hire includes all insurance and other add ons before you decide. Unless a holiday weekend I think that the Parks are slightly quieter at the weekends because the Americans are either coming or going on a week long trip. The parks are quieter first thing in the morning and even quieter in the hour or two before they close, If your ticket allows go early then go back to the villa or shopping then go back late on.

Enjoy.

Got great ticket deals at undercover tourist .com (on mobile so no link) do both universal parks, and make sure u get the fast passes at Disney.. they are essential if you want to go on the rides.

The best piece of advice I can give is to plan your trip.

Get a schedule and try to stick to it

Disney... 3 days

Universals...2 days

Busch Gardens.. 1 day

Sea World.. 1 day

Typhhon Lagoon etc... 1 day

Kennedy ..1 day... worth the trip but depends on ages of the children.. maybe 7 upwards

Legoland..1 day

Silver Springs.. 1 day

http://www.orlandoattractions.com/

Been roped into going to Florida next year as the Mrs thinks our Daughter is at the right age (7).

Anyway, there must be thousands of KBers that have been and I'm looking to pick your brains.

We've already paid the villa ( Windsor Hills country club ) Apparently the closest gated village to Disneyland ? so if anyone's been there info gratefully received.

We've just got a price back for car hire ?400 for a fortnight (Alamo car hire ) which I think is very reasonable ?

The worst thing about this, and it's giving me headaches, is what parks do we go to ?? Everywhere has 2 weeks for 1 deals but I know there is no chance of us doing the lot of them so I was wondering how do you narrow it down ?

I've already been told by a work colleague not to do theme parks at the weekend as it's far too busy but that's the only bit of advice I've been given......

Until now......

Got to the World Showcase at the Epcot Centre and go for a pub crawl around the world. We did that and it was the miniature England that asked for ID (I was 19 and the law in Florida is 21) so as I had nothing showing I was 21, I got refused service down.gif

Got to the World Showcase at the Epcot Centre and go for a pub crawl around the world. We did that and it was the miniature England that asked for ID (I was 19 and the law in Florida is 21) so as I had nothing showing I was 21, I got refused service down.gif

The Chinese restaurant in the world showcase is fantastic we would have our meal there then settle down to watch the firework/ laser show.

Anywhere you go anywhere in the US you should prepare to be ID'ed. Regardless of your age.

Roped in??

FFS! You'll love it ya daffy.

Agreed, it's fantastic. Great fun, but certainly not a relaxing holiday, which is a lot of folks preference.

Anywhere you go anywhere in the US you should prepare to be ID'ed. Regardless of your age.

Me and my mate got served everywhere else, which was the annoying thing. laugh.gif

Everybody loves Baz

Agreed, it's fantastic. Great fun, but certainly not a relaxing holiday, which is a lot of folks preference.

Going in May but booked a week in Egypt for October as a Relax holiday...

Looking forward to it but I'm more of a "handbag holder" than a "Rider" if you know what I mean lol.

jambos are go!

Agree a full day in the Sun at a Theme park is tiring. Umpteen days over a couple of weeks is self harm.

Going in May but booked a week in Egypt for October as a Relax holiday...

Looking forward to it but I'm more of a "handbag holder" than a "Rider" if you know what I mean lol.

That's exactly how I was before I went the first time but you get wrapped up in the atmosphere of the place and before you know it you'll be on the rides.

Dagger Is Back

Agree with tahtSoop.

Last time we were there, I'd get up at 9am and literally stagger down to the pool, grab a strong black coffee and then crash until lunchtime.

It was a quick bite of lunch and then out to the parks for 2pm where we stayed until last orders.

That suited us really well. Gave the kids some time to play in the pool and me an

d Mum time to chill.

Do the Disney parks. You get more out of them if you have a seven year old. Allow yourself a few non park days or your brain and body will be frazzled.

May will be roasting, but you'll love it.

I am unable to do the rides but seeing the faces of my kids, then 18 & 15, makes it worth while.

My pleasures are a bit less energetic but I did do Wet & Wild and a visit to Denny's Diner, The Ihop and there is a wee cafe near the Bungee Ball and Karting place on I Drive, that does British food, and that was a nice change and a decent cuppa, I'm not a fan of coffee.

The Pondarosa is a good place for a scran too.

Going in May.

I can guarantee that once you are there you will be a "Rider". Everything is geared towards enjoying yourself and not trying to put you off by making the rides too scary.

The four main parks are very different and appeal to different client?le

The Magic Kingdom is mainly aimed at younger families and large parts are aimed at younger children. Your daughter will love the Castle,parades,fireworks,characters and all the attractions. There are only a few rides that you may have to watch out for.

1. Space Mountain - Dark,fast and claustrophobic - Brilliant but scary.

2. Astro Orbitor - High up and not good if scared of heights.

3. Splash Mountain - Water flume ride, high, with a big drop at the end, if that is ok it is one of the best rides in Disney.

4. Thunder Railroad - Very fast but great fun.

Animal Kingdom as it says is all about animals from around the world. Great for families with most attractions ok for every age. Highlights are The Lion King Show, Kilimanjaro Safari,Jungle Trail and the various animal related attractions. Scary ones

1. Expedition Everest - High and very fast roller coaster.

2. Kali River Rapids - You get soaked big time.

Holywood Studios as it says are all rides and attractions based on the Movies. Highlights being The Beauty and the Beast show,Fantasmic show - Brilliant,Toy story mania and other shows and tours. Scary ones

1. Aerosmith roller coaster - Extremely fast Indoor rollercoaster.

2. Tower of Terror - 13 Storey lift ride that rises and falls and over thirteen floors - Great fun

Epcot can be described as a more adult park which is split into twelve lands - parts of the world where there are bars,restaurants, exhibitions and entertainment from the relevant countries. The other part of Epcot is Future World which contains attractions and a few rides for all the family No scary rides here but ones to look out for are.

1. Soaring - Hang-glider simulation ride. A must do

2. Mission Space - Flight to Mars simulation - Great fun

3. Illuminations - Spectacular Fireworks and fire display.

The two water parks are fantastic but I prefer Typhoon Lagoon.

A trip to Seaworld is also a must.

As someone else said planning and making full use of the Fast-Pass system are a must but as you say you will be going in May that is probably the best time of year to go, Weather will be great, sunny and not too hot and the crowds and queues will be way down on the madness that is July and August.

The only downside that I can think of is that as soon as you return you will all be saying "when can we go back" as there will be so many things you realise you didn't have time to do.

Have a great time.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Dean Winchester

Looking to book something for Florida in the next couple of days. Got the hotel/flights sorted but just wondering what's it like with spending money (with no kids) for saving up? Also, how do you go about sorting out VISA's?

jambos are go!

Looking to book something for Florida in the next couple of days. Got the hotel/flights sorted but just wondering what's it like with spending money (with no kids) for saving up? Also, how do you go about sorting out VISA's?

five to seven hundred quid a week is plenty for us. You need to get an Esta not a full visa. Not expensive but make sure you use the Official site not the clones that will charge an additional admin fee that is a total rip off and only act as a gateway to the official site. i think the official cost is about twelve quid and the clones charge about forty quid.

Allow yourself about $100 a day to spend on food and snacks. (Per couple) + any additional cash for souvineres and stuff.

Here's a link to the visa page to apply online.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/esta/

I just came back last week and I'm totally knackered. Every day in the parks for a week without a break takes its toll. As well as doing the Halloween horror nights at Universal. (Awesome btw)

The best rides are at Adventure Island IMO. Rip ride rocket at universal was good too. :thumbsup:

I have to disagree with bill here.

$100 a day for snacks, food and drinks is a bit low IMO, if you are eating in the parks it's a bit more expensive also.

If I was you for food and drinks alone per day I'd be budgeting up to $200 per day that will cover any meals you go out for at night including having steaks etc. And your park snacks and drinks.

OnePaulHartley

Everyones different , was there last year and never spent more than $100 per day on food and drinks for me, wife and daughter. We tended not to eat in the parks tho, have a big breakfast at ponderosa or golden corral etc for about 20 -30 dollars all in then wouldnt eat again til dinner after a day in the parks. Booked for next june again and cant wait.

Everyones different , was there last year and never spent more than $100 per day on food and drinks for me, wife and daughter. We tended not to eat in the parks tho, have a big breakfast at ponderosa or golden corral etc for about 20 -30 dollars all in then wouldnt eat again til dinner after a day in the parks. Booked for next june again and cant wait.

Depends where you eat (of course) by that I mean counter service, such as you find in the parks, or sit down in a restaurant. Remember that all table service places will expect at least an 18% tip, and all of a sudden your $100 meal costs around $120.

Crazy, I know, but that is just the way it is.

HP

We got a food waistband @ Bucsh Gardens. You could stop at certain places & eat & drink, soft drinks. Saved a bit but then again I'm a greedy pig

We got a food waistband @ Bucsh Gardens. You could stop at certain places & eat & drink, soft drinks. Saved a bit but then again I'm a greedy pig

The busch gardens eat all day band is well worth the money as there are about 5 restaurants you can use it in.

The only other advice I can give is save as much as you can and go and enjoy yourself!! You don't want to go to Florida and be counting your pennies!! Have a blast and enjoy.

Dean Winchester

What about car rentals? Don't want to do it for 2 weeks (under 25 so the subcharge is a bit expensive) and it looks easy enough to get around to most of the theme parks from where our hotel is. My plan was to rent a car for 4 days, do Busch Gardens on the Friday and then Daytona Beach on the Saturday/Sunday with the car. Is there anything else in the area that'd be good to do while having the car?

Thinking back when we were there, there were hunners of Japenese :eek: And I mean loads of them. Then we realised the date - it was the anniversary of the bombing of Pearl Harbour :groundhog:

Florida is the daddy of all holidays. Can't wait until I can afford to take the family. Seriously is the holiday of a lifetime.

Ponderosa breakfasts are excellent. Chilis is an excellent restaurant aswell.

What about car rentals? Don't want to do it for 2 weeks (under 25 so the subcharge is a bit expensive) and it looks easy enough to get around to most of the theme parks from where our hotel is. My plan was to rent a car for 4 days, do Busch Gardens on the Friday and then Daytona Beach on the Saturday/Sunday with the car. Is there anything else in the area that'd be good to do while having the car?

Sea World :thumbsup:

Would definitely get the car for the full stay, you will regret it otherwise IMO.

Kennedy space centre and Clearwater beach area,

How so?

Getting about without a car is not so easy. The hotels on I-Drive and the maingate areas will run shuttle buses to the parks, but be aware that the last buses leave before the parks have closed so you would miss any fireworks/parades, etc. Only the disney hotels would accommodate late transfers, and they are mega expensive. There is a trolley that runs the length of I-Drive, but still does not help with the parks

Always book your car before you go, as you will pay less from the UK.

HP.

Suspect Device

Busch Gardens is about two thirds of the way to Clearwater anyway, do Busch(Khumba is the daddy) then go to beach area after for a long weekend :cool4: parks tend to get busier with locals at the weekends anyway - not that they're empty midweek !!!

Dean Winchester

Found a decent deal for a Convertible Ford Mustang for 7 days so will get that. Days that I don't have it we'll do the likes of Universal/Seaworld which is fairly close by the hotel.

What about places to eat? Is there anywhere that's a must try/unique experience? Having a look online now and there's so many it's hard to try and whittle it down to what we want to do :lol:

Found a decent deal for a Convertible Ford Mustang for 7 days so will get that. Days that I don't have it we'll do the likes of Universal/Seaworld which is fairly close by the hotel.

What about places to eat? Is there anywhere that's a must try/unique experience? Having a look online now and there's so many it's hard to try and whittle it down to what we want to do :lol:

Here is my must do list:

Bahama Breeze (I-Drive)

Margaritaville & Hard Rock Cafe (Citywalk)

Cheesecake Factory & PF Chang (Mall at Millenia)

Downtown Disney - Rainforest Cafe or House of Blues, ice cream at Girardellis

Old Town Tavern (Celebration)

Roy's (Dr Philips)

Capital Grill (I-Drive)

Maggianos (I-Drive)

Tony Romas (I-Drive)

Others with mutiple outlets:

Chilis

Applebees

Olive Garden

Red Lobster

Outback

Don't miss out on breakfast at Denny's or Ponderosa or similar....

You will struggle to find a bad dining experience in Orlando.

HP

edit: Should have said that you wont have much luggage space in the Mustang - just something to be aware of.

Archived