Derren Brown: The Apocolypse

hmfcfandon

ToadKiller Dog

Enjoyed that interesting that the guys first reactions was to tell the girl to come with him and to find his brother . Sort of shows humans in a good light .

What ever you think of Derron Brown he is the master trickster .

Never met him to judge him if he is a Bellend or not .

But seems a clever guy who in his shows asks viewers to think which is no bad thing .

ToadKiller Dog

He does state at the start of every show that he uses a mixture of ?magic, suggestion, psychology, misdirection and showmanship?, . He does it well in a grown up manner and entertains .

He doesnt have people thinking they are a chicken . A lot of his stuff is reworking established tricks .

All magic has an element of fraud in it he never hides this , he has studied the subjects he looks at in his shows such as the science of memory ,socialogical and pyschological experiments , Helps to expose the fraud that is mediumship and other charaltens looking to con people out of money .

No way are his shows low brow .

He is no magical powered genius just human ,does come across a bit smug at times .

Man's a bellchief.

Every stunt he's ever done has been a set-up.

Pish telly for people of low IQ

I enjoyed it and I am higher than average IQ.

So, I must be in the "All brains , no common sense bracket" eh <_<

When is the next episode shown?

I enjoyed it and I am higher than average IQ.

So, I must be in the "All brains , no common sense bracket" eh <_<

When is the next episode shown?

Use your common sense, it'll be the same time next week.

Derren Brown was the subject of the best Sun headline ever when they outed him as gay..."Mind Bender" :lol:

Man's a bellchief.

Isn't that exactly the point he's making? I only catch his shows every now and then but as I recall he never pretends that it's anything other than a trick.

Man's a bellchief.

Wait.

You mean its not really the apocalypse?

Private Hudson

Man's a bellchief.

laugh.gif Can you show us on the dolly where the hypnotist touched you?

Broon's a good guy. Does his best to show up mediums, faith healers and psychics for the horrible charlatans that they are.

I just watched it. I thought it was great entertainment, well written and well executed, but I was left fairly unconvinced. I think it's fake, I think Steven is an actor and that it's more akin to a drama, a sort of reality drama where we the audience are the dupes. I just don't think that his reaction was genuine, I don't think a real person would react like that, just accepting that a blue band meant he was uninfected, or believing that he'd been asleep for a fortnight. Would he not wonder why he wasn't dying of thirst, or hadn't crapped the bed? Would he not have shouted out for people before he'd even left the room he 'woke up' in? Would he not have questioned the girl at length before going off with her? Would he not have said the words "****, it's the zombie apocalypse", at least once?

No, it was a great show, funny and interesting and entertaining, but I'm not buying that it's real. ?Magic, suggestion, psychology, misdirection and showmanship?, aye, to fool the viewer.

Stupid Sexy Flanders

I enjoyed it but I struggle to believe that he can just walk up to the guy & say "sleep", & that's him hypnotised.

Also what if he started attacking the zombies with a big stick or something? AND, you never see him picking his nose or scratching his balls.

ToadKiller Dog

Not sure how I would react , initial shock could have you keeping quiet for longer while you take everything in , but would have been questioning the first adult the ambulance driver a bit more .

Maybe it is set up or it could just be good editing to make it more tension filled .

Guest C00l K1d

I enjoyed it but I struggle to believe that he can just walk up to the guy & say "sleep", & that's him hypnotised.

Also what if he started attacking the zombies with a big stick or something? AND, you never see him picking his nose or scratching his balls.

Tbf he was having a good pick of his nose in his house at the start :lol:

If it was me i'd be entirely unconvinced by the wee lassies shan acting. The first thing i'd do aswell when i seen that boy going radge would be to pick up a pole or something.

Mind you he does say he needs suggestible people for it to work

I only caught the first 20 mins.

The main guy is a total ****. Why do parents put up with these complete wastes of skin? In his mind 20s, succession of shite jobs, treats his folks like dicks and they STILL just allow him to do what he wants? My folks would have had a word in my ear a long time ago if I was as useless as this eejit.

I'll prob catch the rest during the week but it does look like its completely acted.

He'd had him prepped during the interview process.

Even then, hypnosis is only as real as people want it to be. People often use the word 'suggestibility' as though it were a euphemism for magic - it's not it just means if you can effectively suggest something to someone then they will buy in to it. I've seen people on stage go in to a sleep state with no prep beyond the hypnotist saying 'sleep' - mainly due to their suggestibility but also expectation and the pressure of the situation.

I enjoyed the first half of apocolypse; but i'm not convinced it isnt a fake either. That said i am a big fan of brown's. Will be interesting to see how the guy reacts and performs - there also seems to be a wizard of theme going throughout it which i'm not sure of.

Generic Username

It's a good thing the boy he picked wasn't a Saville otherwise that decision to put the wee girl in his care could have been awkward...

Tbf he was having a good pick of his nose in his house at the start :lol:

If it was me i'd be entirely unconvinced by the wee lassies shan acting. The first thing i'd do aswell when i seen that boy going radge would be to pick up a pole or something.

Mind you he does say he needs suggestible people for it to work

on a side note how brilliant was that zombie in the window? could make a career out of zombie films

I just watched it. I thought it was great entertainment, well written and well executed, but I was left fairly unconvinced. I think it's fake, I think Steven is an actor and that it's more akin to a drama, a sort of reality drama where we the audience are the dupes. I just don't think that his reaction was genuine, I don't think a real person would react like that, just accepting that a blue band meant he was uninfected, or believing that he'd been asleep for a fortnight. Would he not wonder why he wasn't dying of thirst, or hadn't crapped the bed? Would he not have shouted out for people before he'd even left the room he 'woke up' in? Would he not have questioned the girl at length before going off with her? Would he not have said the words "****, it's the zombie apocalypse", at least once?

No, it was a great show, funny and interesting and entertaining, but I'm not buying that it's real. ?Magic, suggestion, psychology, misdirection and showmanship?, aye, to fool the viewer.

Do you not think that if he used actors or stooges someone would have came out and debunked him by now? Several years of shows and not one person has told the press (who would LOVE to run such a story) that they know he uses actors.

It's a good thing the boy he picked wasn't a Saville otherwise that decision to put the wee girl in his care could have been awkward...

A spokesperson for Derren Brown said, "This is the one thing we didn't want to happen".

The guy is highly suggestable and during his initial assessment they worked this out, that's why he was chosen. You can walk up to someone and put them under that quickly, it has to do with the person and timing (would not work with everyone), would not be surprised if they edited out some chat before hand that made him more suggestable. I have hypnotised many people like this though not in the situation he is in. Once you been under hypnosis it is extremely easy to be put back in to that state. Darren Brown uses a mixture of hypnosis, mentalism, and magic., you have to remember he is a showman and instant Hypnosis is a fantastic effect.

Seems like an extreme version of Supernanny, parents doing it purely to teach their son a lesson. Bet he wished it was Jeremy Kyle instead.

Was good watching but still undecided whether its totally real or not. Easy to pick out small things about the main guy though. Hard to say how you'd react in that scenario. You've just woke up in a hospital where no one is around to find out everything s you know it is destroyed. I'd be sh*t scared.

Even if it is acted it's still quite a good storyline so either way it's a decent watch. Would have thought there would be a bit more trickery to it though with it being Derren Brown but it's just like a massive prank.

I imagine there is a lot of ground work done first before "instant hypnosis", its all about planting thoughts and conditioning so before you even realise you are being hypnotised your mind has already been prepared for the instant hypnosis effect. That final part is then all just showmanship. Derren Browns shows are great but I will never fully believe until I experienced it for myself.

and now for some conspiracy chat....

What I always wonder though is if it was real surely the government would be all over this, if Derren is what's on TV imagine what's hiding in a government office....

the scariest part i thought(because its fully possible) was when they got the hacker guy in to hack all is electronics and was able to feed him any information necessary and intercept his communications.

CONSPIRACY.png

ToadKiller Dog

Derren Brown saying on twitter he is not an actor ,either way the fuss has certainly added to the exposure for the show which in the end is what all showmen want , people talking about it .

Maybe these facebook/twitter accounts were planted to cause this confusion and generate fuss and conspiracy .

I watched it last night and thought it didn't look very genuine. What I don't get is why they'd go to such great lengths in setting it up and not even pull his online presence from the internet. Its pretty basic stuff and I find it hard to believe the research teams would've dropped the ball like that when they must've known there would be a great deal of scrutiny to come.

Is it possible that the 'fake' evidence is just misinformation created post-filming towhip up some publicity? Or am I giving Brown too much credit? Either way, it'll be interesting to see how this impacts on viewing figures.

ToadKiller Dog

It could be just that the types that turn up for auditions like that was done where the guy was picked from tend to be people who see themselves as wannabe stars , mean look at all those who turn up for X factor auditions .

I bet most layabouts as some point think they can make it in the arts .

That lassies acting was horrendous. I thought that Stevens comments also sounded very forced and his reactions to situations looked over the top too. If you can be over the top when faced with the end of the world..

What got me asking questions was that guy Ian (I think, in the ambulance), his secure compound was empty and where is he getting the soup from if everyone upped and bolted to Scotland or Wales. And if he has wheels why is he still at the compound. Because if it were me I'd be off a long time ago. Its survival of the ftttest imo. Also noted that the key was conveniently left on the floor for our hero to find. Still will watch on Friday though just to see what happens.

What got me asking questions was that guy Ian (I think, in the ambulance), his secure compound was empty and where is he getting the soup from if everyone upped and bolted to Scotland or Wales. And if he has wheels why is he still at the compound. Because if it were me I'd be off a long time ago. Its survival of the ftttest imo. Also noted that the key was conveniently left on the floor for our hero to find. Still will watch on Friday though just to see what happens.

To judge it through clear eyes would be to pick up lots of gaps; in the moment, in a crisis, without experience, most people are ******* useless and very suggestible.

from an episode of QI - - XL: The best way to make a squad of American soldiers panic in a plane is to make them think it is crashing. For example, you can get the pilot to cut off one of the engines. To show how disturbed the soldiers are, you then give them forms to fill in, for example asking who to leave their money to after they die. The soldiers just wrote rubbish. This was done to see how people react under stress.

It's all very well saying "well, i'd have just punched the shark in the nose and it'd swim away", but i'd like to see how many people in a 1000 would manage it face to snout with a shark.

(there's still a niggling doubt in my mind about the whole thing though)

After all the pesh taking, it seems that the "victim" was an actor and in on it all the way through.

:rolleyes:

Have you read the whole thread? The victim's only history in acting was a school production. He signed up to some acting/extras site when he left school in 2008 and was too lazy to even finish making his profile page. He's done nowt since.

He is.now a teacher....eh what. Thought this guy was a bum/drain on society/still living off mum and dad.

Archived