Bloody Foreigners

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Just reading an article in this months 4 4 2 about the 100 Greatest foreign players to come to the UK. (Eric Cantona was No1)

Who would be in your Top 5 Johnny Foreigners to don a Hearts strip?

Geoff Kilpatrick

Good question. I'm treating this as 4-4-2 did and basing it on non British Isles based players.

1. Antti Niemi - quite simply, the best goalkeeper I've seen at Tynecastle.

2. Gilles Rousset - brilliant keeper, even better bloke

3. Rudi Skacel - one season wonder but his impact was legendary

4. Pasquale Bruno - cult hero, one of the main reasons one of the worst Hearts teams in living memory turned itself around

5. Thomas Flogel - a personal choice because I loved the fact he could play anywhere. In truth, that counted against him as he never settled in one position long enough to really make a lasting impact.

Malcolm Tucker

1. Antti Niemi (Finland) - Just an incredible goalie and still follows the Hearts.

2. Takis Fyssas (Greece) - one of, in not thee classiest player I've seen in maroon.

3. Rudolf Skacel (Czech Rep.) - 17 goals from midfield including 2 against Hibs, one against Celtic and one in a Scottish Cup Final. All in one season.

4. Stephane Adam (France) - Rarely onside, but when he was is when it counted. Scored the winner in a Scottish Cup Final. "Amoruso lets it run..."

5. Edgaras Jankauskas (Lithuania) - Did anyone seriously think we could lure a man of his pedigree and talent to Hearts? Champions League and UEFA Cup winners' medals. One of the best performances I've seen from a striker against Hibs in that Semi, and a few goals to boot. Fair enough he faded, but he was such a good player.

1. Antti Niemi (Finland) - Just an incredible goalie and still follows the Hearts.

2. Takis Fyssas (Greece) - one of, in not thee classiest player I've seen in maroon.

3. Rudolf Skacel (Czech Rep.) - 17 goals from midfield including 2 against Hibs, one against Celtic and one in a Scottish Cup Final. All in one season.

4. Stephane Adam (France) - Rarely onside, but when he was is when it counted. Scored the winner in a Scottish Cup Final. "Amoruso lets it run..."

5. Edgaras Jankauskas (Lithuania) - Did anyone seriously think we could lure a man of his pedigree and talent to Hearts? Champions League and UEFA Cup winners' medals. One of the best performances I've seen from a striker against Hibs in that Semi, and a few goals to boot. Fair enough he faded, but he was such a good player.

I agree with this list!

My personal list would be

1. Niemi - Not much more I can add to what previous posters have said.

2. Skacel - 17 goals including one in a cup final win from midfield. Not a bad only season.

3. Rousset - Cup final hero in 1998 and apart from the 96 cup final hardly put a foot wrong in his first two and a half years at Tynie.

4. Adam - One of the most intelligent players Iv seen in a Hearts jersey.

5. Salvatori - Not the most glamorous but imo one of the most under-rated players ever. Did a vital job in the 97/98 season sitting back and letting Fulton, Cameron and McCann attack freely.

Close but no cigar Bruno, DeVries, Velicka, Jankauskas(first season), Fyssas and Mahe.

Wot no Tomashek or Gronlund?

1. Rousset

2. Adam

3. Bruno

4. Roald Jensen (never saw him, too young, but a player by all accounts)

5. Skacel

Jankauskas, Salvatori, Niemi all close too.

LarrysRightFoot

1. Niemi

2. Fysass

3. Kingston (may have been a bit lazy/injury prone but is pure class)

4. Pinilla (same as above but every time he has touched the ball in his 4? appearances you could see he is a far superior footballer to almost everyone in Scotland)

5. Vincent Guerin (ok he was past his best but again he oozed class)

Ray Winstone

1. Hans Eskillson

2. Wilfred Oefio

3. Martin Petras

4. Straceny

5. Ivaskevicus

In serious terms though:

1. Antti Niemi - absolutely class.

2. Takis Fyssas - Un-questionable pedigree at the top level, great player for the club.

3. Jankauskas - ditto Fyssas - but below him because he only had one good season.

4. Thomas Flogel - could not believe that a player of his ability was at Hearts - brilliant touch and could finish!

5. Rudi Skacel - Maybe only played for half a season - but what a half season it was - hopefully he makes it in Germany.

Ray Winstone
Wot no Tomashek or Gronlund?

1. Rousset

2. Adam

3. Bruno

4. Roald Jensen (never saw him, too young, but a player by all accounts)

5. Skacel

Jankauskas, Salvatori, Niemi all close too.

I thought both Thomashcek and Gronlund both did not a bad job for the club.

Nothing fancy but did a job - gronlund also scored a couple of screamers IIRC.

Archived