Viber

itsnomarooned

itsnomarooned

Apparently Viber lets me make free calls and send free texts and photo messages to other Viber users on any network, using any device and in any country. Now, call me cynical but when I see claims like this I usually as what's the catch .......... and here goes, what's the catch? If it's all free how do they make their money? If it's through constantly annoying adverts then frankly I'd rather pay for calls etc. Also, why do I need a contract with, in my case O2, who then don't actually provide me with a service.

Any others out there who use this or similar products?

The People's Chimp

You still need to pay O2 for network access and if you made regular international calls it would save you a fortune.

BoJack Horseman

No catch. Does what it says. Similar to Whatsapp as well. Same functionality as something like Skype.

rossthejambo

It just uses the internet to send stuff rather than via the phone. I've used it a couple of times, it's pretty decent. Would be pretty handy if you were making a lot of calls/texts abroad.

Would be worth having just to send photos tbh seeing as O2 and the like charge you extra for sending picture messages.

Jed The Jedi

As i said in the Android AP thread, i phoned a mate in Mexico using this. The call quality is excellent. As the other guys have said if you get charged for sending picture messages by your carrier, this is a must have app imho.

Apparently Viber lets me make free calls and send free texts and photo messages to other Viber users on any network, using any device and in any country. Now, call me cynical but when I see claims like this I usually as what's the catch .......... and here goes, what's the catch? If it's all free how do they make their money? If it's through constantly annoying adverts then frankly I'd rather pay for calls etc. Also, why do I need a contract with, in my case O2, who then don't actually provide me with a service.

Any others out there who use this or similar products?

I use Whatsapp and it does do this, though I have only used texts.

I also use Skype for calls and never been charged.

The catch is, you can pay for extra services.

The People's Chimp

I've got a group text going on whataspp with a heap of mates from Uni, which is a fairly decent way of ripping the utter pish out of each other keeping in touch, when you're all across the uk/rest of the world. It's a useful app to have.

I've got a group text going on whataspp with a heap of mates from Uni, which is a fairly decent way of ripping the utter pish out of each other keeping in touch, when you're all across the uk/rest of the world. It's a useful app to have.

There's this thing called Facebook.........

I've just installed it and emailed my brother to see if he is interested.

The only people in my contacts that already have it is my daughter & son, who I can just shout to, and a bloke a few doors away, and they all have iphones, is it pre-installed on them?

Used it to call/text Australia and Morocco in the last week or two and it's just brilliant.

Very impressed with it. thumbsup.gif

Sound quality on calls is great, texts are delivered pretty much instantly.

BoJack Horseman

Does it not use the data part of your contract?

Yep, unless you're connected to wifi.

itsnomarooned

Right so if I've understood correctly the real benefit is if I'm making calls (or sending texts) abroad - my folks and sister live in France so there's a benefit there. My contract gives me a call and text limit that I very rarely exceed so no great benefit so UK calls/texts. If I'm in the house then using Viber will be done via wifi so no impact on my data allowance (which is more than I ever need either) but if using on 3G then the data allowance is affected, though I've also got Onavo which compresses data usage.

Am I on the right track?

BoJack Horseman

Right so if I've understood correctly the real benefit is if I'm making calls (or sending texts) abroad - my folks and sister live in France so there's a benefit there. My contract gives me a call and text limit that I very rarely exceed so no great benefit so UK calls/texts. If I'm in the house then using Viber will be done via wifi so no impact on my data allowance (which is more than I ever need either) but if using on 3G then the data allowance is affected, though I've also got Onavo which compresses data usage.

Am I on the right track?

Sounds like it. It's just a convenient way to do device to device calls and texts. Just the same as Skype but tailored to your phone.

Am I on the right track?

As another poster stated, if you send picture messages, it is unlikely you have those for free in your mobile contract.

As an aside, anybody know how to change the colour of the dialogue boxes from green to any other colour? :(

Archived