Mafia: Kill The Goons Part 4

Rudi Skacel

It was an easy task with 3 combinations

1, i was abit pished when i thought about it

2, i ran out of ideas after the first 3

3, thought i should give them an easy task since it was so much against them, didnt expect there to be 4 modkills though

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The goons shall have a task, if they complete it then they will be allowed one more night time kill when they please. EG they could complete the task on night 2 and use the kill on night 4. For the record, they wont be given the task till after night 1.

Day 2, Geoff?

Geoff Kilpatrick

Day 2, Geoff?

No, the task was on Day 1 but we weren't allowed to use the double kill till Day 2.

You handed them that on the plate then Rudi as we were never going to figure out what their task was...

The goons shall have a task, if they complete it then they will be allowed one more night time kill when they please. EG they could complete the task on night 2 and use the kill on night 4. For the record, they wont be given the task till after night 1.

I never looked at day one activity because of this quote.

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Was the task something to do with naming a certain double cup-winner who happens to share a name with our game host?

Dandy, Sean and Geoff all mentioned it and Dandy and Geoff also made references to the cup final.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Close. Each one of us had to mention a cup final commentary line. Odd got the short straw! :laugh:

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

There's no way I'd have spotted that, good task that actually.

Went to have another look to see if I could work them out but not got a clue :lol:.

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

Cheers for the game Rudi. thumbsup.gif

I might have a crack of running a game next. Who fancies an American Presidential election themed one?

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Cheers for the game Rudi. thumbsup.gif

I might have a crack of running a game next. Who fancies an American Presidential election themed one?

I'd be up for that, purely to see how you'd work it :lol:.

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

laugh.gif

Yeah, I've had a think about it already, and it's going to be a bit different than what you guys have played before.

If I finalise a game structure, I'll let everyone check it out before we commit to a game.

Chris Benoit

Cheers Rudi and sorry for the double ear bashing on Sunday but I figured nobody would believe that a goon would demand a mason was modkilled on thread.

BoJack Horseman

Nice to see a goon win tbh, even in that fashion! Apologies for not really contributing to this one, my mind was elsewhere.

I think we need to switch up the Mason role. I've been one a few times and you very rarely get any chat in the PM threads. Nothing like you do being a goon. I think that's because there's not a lot you can do. You get fed an investigation, you sometimes know something but mostly know nothing. You're expected to 'lead' the town even though more often than not there's not much to go on.

We got the Dandyman investigation and we decided to keep him alive to see how he interacted with the other players to try and garner who the other goons were. It was early doors and there was plenty time to do that. Unfortunately Ian jumped the gun and forced our hand making us look useless, but we couldn't communicate that plan to him so had to take it on the chin.

That's my issue with the masons. There's no conferring between them and the cop so the investigations you get are completely random. They might be itching to investigate someone that looks suspicious then they get the results through and it was someone completely off their radar. I think they need to be scrapped or handed the Cop role so that they operate in the same way as a goon kill. That would make the investigations a lot more strategic and allow the masons to use that information to their advantage.

Chris Benoit

I think it was in Yvonne's Scooby Doo game where Shaggy and Scooby did the investigations and the masons were just townies who could communicate off thread so they could work together to influence votes same as the goons.

On my phone so can't put up a link but if someone wants to do the honours its a good read

BoJack Horseman

I think it was in Yvonne's Scooby Doo game where Shaggy and Scooby did the investigations and the masons were just townies who could communicate off thread so they could work together to influence votes same as the goons.

On my phone so can't put up a link but if someone wants to do the honours its a good read

I like that idea. Teaming the doc and cop together is inspired. Takes away any responsibility the masons have as well. I'd be tempted to scrap them entirely in favour of the Doc/Cop super team.

I think we need to switch up the Mason role. I've been one a few times and you very rarely get any chat in the PM threads. Nothing like you do being a goon. I think that's because there's not a lot you can do. You get fed an investigation, you sometimes know something but mostly know nothing. You're expected to 'lead' the town even though more often than not there's not much to go on.

We got the Dandyman investigation and we decided to keep him alive to see how he interacted with the other players to try and garner who the other goons were.

There's no conferring between them and the cop so the investigations you get are completely random. They might be itching to investigate someone that looks suspicious then they get the results through and it was someone completely off their radar. I think they need to be scrapped or handed the Cop role so that they operate in the same way as a goon kill. That would make the investigations a lot more strategic and allow the masons to use that information to their advantage.

No excuse for not chatting - even just to discuss how to get your mason-ness revealed to the cop without arousing too much suspicion. Perhaps getting the cop to investigate you? Not quite thought through how that could be done but I'm sure there could be some way even at the risk of arousing a little suspicion. A lot depends on how much info the moderator reveals - in that penalty shoot-out one I linked to earlier I think I just said that someone was investigated, not revealing if the result was good or bad. that gave the townies even less to go on admittedly but made the roled folk have a bit more of a role to play.

Aye - like to keep early-known goons alive just to check affiliations. Especially if the goons don't know (well, they generally don't) which one has been investigated.

The thing is, though, there could be conferring (on-thread) between masons and cop - it's just down to the players to find out a way of doing so.

We've had a few townie wins lately so it was relatively pleasing to see a goon win however I do feel the modkills did a fair bit to help them. Any way of eliminating these? Would folk get too bored with a deadline-less game?

The only roles I've never been are a mason or the cop. That was my second time being doctor and decided after the last time to always go with my instinct on who to save. The last time I was doctor I changed my mind at the last minute and three times it was the person I was initially going to save that got killed. Been a goon three times and won twice, been the assassin once and I was investigated but still survived til the end and if one or two things had been different I could have won, but found that quite a difficult role. It's taking a random stab in the dark quite a lot of the times, though I do think Pinhead killed Ian on purpose to try and win.

BoJack Horseman

No excuse for not chatting - even just to discuss how to get your mason-ness revealed to the cop without arousing too much suspicion. Perhaps getting the cop to investigate you? Not quite thought through how that could be done but I'm sure there could be some way even at the risk of arousing a little suspicion. A lot depends on how much info the moderator reveals - in that penalty shoot-out one I linked to earlier I think I just said that someone was investigated, not revealing if the result was good or bad. that gave the townies even less to go on admittedly but made the roled folk have a bit more of a role to play.

Aye - like to keep early-known goons alive just to check affiliations. Especially if the goons don't know (well, they generally don't) which one has been investigated.

The thing is, though, there could be conferring (on-thread) between masons and cop - it's just down to the players to find out a way of doing so.

We've had a few townie wins lately so it was relatively pleasing to see a goon win however I do feel the modkills did a fair bit to help them. Any way of eliminating these? Would folk get too bored with a deadline-less game?

Nope, there's not really, but when you've got nothing to go on it's tough. The whole masons thread had 15 posts. 6 from Rudi, 4 from me, 3 from Stacee and 2 from Dok. It started off ok but plummeted after the first goon kill. I definitely think we would have been more active if Dandyman had stayed alive.

Personally, I think the cop should stick to investigating and let the masons deal with the result. Investigating a bad guy shouldn't be jumped on straight away, otherwise you go from having an edge to going back to square one. The cop knew we knew the results of the investigation and if we weren't doing anything about it he should've seen that as a tactic rather than incompetence. Took the wind out of the sails for me at the very least.

The cop knew we knew the results of the investigation and if we weren't doing anything about it he should've seen that as a tactic rather than incompetence.

Agree absolutely. It would be highly unusual for a team of 3 to have someone without at least a wee bit of game experience to hold any newbies' hands.

Maybe just having this discussion will encourage folk to be a bit happier and willing to get involved to have what might appear to be a bit of a 'Meh' role.

It's almost the case that if you've got nothing to go on then you've got to make something happen - encourage folk to post goon lists or trust lists, nag low posters/spammers etc.

And I still want to know why the goons and assassin tried to do for me... :lol:

BoJack Horseman

Agree absolutely. It would be highly unusual for a team of 3 to have someone without at least a wee bit of game experience to hold any newbies' hands.

Maybe just having this discussion will encourage folk to be a bit happier and willing to get involved to have what might appear to be a bit of a 'Meh' role.

It's almost the case that if you've got nothing to go on then you've got to make something happen - encourage folk to post goon lists or trust lists, nag low posters/spammers etc.

And I still want to know why the goons and assassin tried to do for me... :lol:

Exactly. We knew what we were doing, we just weren't given the chance to do it. It happened again with Geoff in that finally we got another goon uncovered that could hopefully lead to exposing the rest. Once again we wanted to see how it panned out but we couldn't as Ian pointed the finger straight away, not only exposing Geoff but exposing himself as well (oo-er).

The only way around that is giving the power of the Cop to the masons. Letting them collectively decide who to investigate would put more purpose into the investigation and allow a lot more to happen with the results.

The thing the annoys me the most is when people sign up to play and then don't really participate because they are townies. I actually like being a townie and trying to figure things out. I would love to be the cop though as I have never had that role and played probably about 50 mafia games!

The only way around that is giving the power of the Cop to the masons. Letting them collectively decide who to investigate would put more purpose into the investigation and allow a lot more to happen with the results.

That could be worth giving a go to - would eliminate BS :lol:

Though I still kinda like the intrigue of the Cop not knowing who the masons are...don't want to make it too easy for 'em.

I fancy WW should run a game with his proposed alterations...and congrats on post 6k :thumbsup:

The thing the annoys me the most is when people sign up to play and then don't really participate because they are townies. I actually like being a townie and trying to figure things out. I would love to be the cop though as I have never had that role and played probably about 50 mafia games!

I probably post much, much more - and end up getting whacked early - when I'm a townie.

Note to self...post more when roled :D

Think I've been everything but assassin - and if I was him, I didn't win.

Doc's my least favourite as I generally tend to be pretty crap at identifying who's what and end up saving whomever the goons aren't going for...or indeed one of the goons :lol:

BoJack Horseman

I much prefer being a townie than a mason. As you said, you've actually got to work hard to figure out what's what without any extra information. It's a shame when folk sign up and don't participate (I know I didn't really in this game but that was due to offline stuff plus the goons getting offed immediately after they were investigated).

That could be worth giving a go to - would eliminate BS :lol:

Though I still kinda like the intrigue of the Cop not knowing who the masons are...don't want to make it too easy for 'em.

I fancy WW should run a game with his proposed alterations...and congrats on post 6k :thumbsup:

There would be no need for BS as the masons would already know who the cop was :P

I'd happily host a no frills game with a few rule changes in the coming weeks. Quite like the idea of not revealing the investigation results at all. All anyone but the masons would know is that someone has been investigated, but not their affiliation. Means the goons don't know when they've been hit and there's no pressure to reveal the bad guys name as soon as you've got it.

Chris Benoit

Also I did a game with 2 or 3 different goon gangs which was interesting :)

That was the afore mentioned Scooby Doo game. My 3rd game and highlight of my mafia career

That was the afore mentioned Scooby Doo game. My 3rd game and highlight of my mafia career

Yeah i just realised that haha. i am sure did it another game too and im sure Maximus moaned a lot then too. Where did he go? Looking back at all the folks that used to play mafia and heaps not on this or play anymore :(

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Yeah sorry Walter for rushing into the goon kills. I genuinely did have a theory (which is why I investigated Dandyman in the first place) and wanted to test the water with it a bit. Had I worded it better, it would probably have been less suspicious.

With Geoff, I'd been on a night out and was sitting waiting on my bus home and decided to post on the thread to pass the time. Going to have a guess and say that was the post that basically confirmed to the goons that I was cop/mason?

In hindsight I'd have played a better game. Could the masons not have voted elsewhere to keep Dandyman alive? Not trying to shift the blame but if you wanted to keep him alive then you could have. Can't recall who you voted for on Day 3.

The game i am looking to do soon has one of the masons as the cop, and a limited amount of recruitments on both sides, hoping to have a few more roles also so there are less townies and hopefully more players will get involved in the game.

But i'm up for the American Presidential election themed one

i was going to vote hmfc to keep myself alive but was feeling like crap and couldn't get into the game, also thought if i saved myself the assassin would have just taken me out anyway and wanted his kills to hopefully be more useful, which they were lol

I have to say towards the end I blew it. Surprised Odd was the only one that I was aware of who was on to me.

Admittedly I did waste my first bullet but I will know better next time.

Sorry Odd for being a tenacious ass, I am even worse in real life :ninja:

Maybe next time I wont ****** it up.

The only roles I've never been are a mason or the cop. That was my second time being doctor and decided after the last time to always go with my instinct on who to save. The last time I was doctor I changed my mind at the last minute and three times it was the person I was initially going to save that got killed. Been a goon three times and won twice, been the assassin once and I was investigated but still survived til the end and if one or two things had been different I could have won, but found that quite a difficult role. It's taking a random stab in the dark quite a lot of the times, though I do think Pinhead killed Ian on purpose to try and win.

:o

Moi - ok I admit it :ninja:

Archived