17 Years ago Dundee 4 Hearts 4 LC QF - The Henry penalty match!

Hearts Heritage

Hearts Heritage

http://londonhearts.com/scores/games/199509201.html

But, as their support travelled home, they must have been questioning the eccentricities of veteran goalkeeper Henry Smith.

It was Smith who gifted Dundee their third goal during the regulation 90 minutes just after Hearts had levelled the scores for the first time, at 2-2.

Then it was Smith who became a penalty save hero when he stopped Dundee's third attempt in the shoot-out from Paul Tosh.

Moments later Smith opted to take the Edinburgh side's next kick, blasted a shot off target, and allowed Dundee back into the match.

http://londonhearts.com/scores/mrep/19950920001.htm

It was Henry's 598th and last competitive game. Though He did play vs Coventry in a 5-1 loss in Craig Levein Testimonial

http://londonhearts.com/scores/players/smithhenryap.html

Remember this game well! I was 14 at the time. Did the Dundee goal keeper not throw one of the net pegs into the hearts fans? I also remember having to bolt for the last train after the match and cutting it very fine!

Guest Prentice

For me, If one game could sum up what it's generally like being a hearts fan it's this one. Dejection, hope, euphoria, down, back up again, pride, confusion and some disappointment.

Great support again that night too.

I'm sure we had a huge support at that game, which would be inconceivable for a league cup QF these days.

It was quite correctly Henry's last game - he had a shocker.

He didn't have a shocker, he had 2 world class saves when we were under the cosh early in the match. He made a mistake for one goal then he missed a penalty - same "shocker" as many of our outfield palyers over the past year.

The round before he was outstanding against Dunfermline and the whole of Tynie were behind him.

Imagine kickback had been around then. Quite simply the best goalkeeper we've ever had!

Hearts Heritage

..... Quite simply the best goalkeeper we've ever had!

Correct apart from

Harry Rennie

Jack Harkness

Jimmy Brown

Cruickie

Neimi

Craig Gordon

to name 6

He didn't have a shocker, he had 2 world class saves when we were under the cosh early in the match. He made a mistake for one goal then he missed a penalty - same "shocker" as many of our outfield palyers over the past year.

The round before he was outstanding against Dunfermline and the whole of Tynie were behind him.

Imagine kickback had been around then. Quite simply the best goalkeeper we've ever had!

Sorry Henry. You were definitely better than Craig Nelson.

Henry was a good keeper, and a nice bloke, but he made a lot of mistake when I saw him (from 1992 onwards), let alone the 1988 semi final and others before.

I wonder if he'll ever be seen at Tynecastle again? Maybe at a half time draw or something...

Henry was a good keeper, and a nice bloke, but he made a lot of mistake when I saw him (from 1992 onwards), let alone the 1988 semi final and others before.

I wonder if he'll ever be seen at Tynecastle again? Maybe at a half time draw or something...

Henry does attend a lot of supporters club functions, top bloke and not shy on the bevvy either.

I remember being at Dens that nite, i think the dundee fans had to be moved along the main stand as more hearts fans than expected turned up and were accommodated in the main stand as well as behind the goals.

Tremendous game, shite result

Henry sold the jerseys on the passback which he sliced to George Shaw to make it 3-2, also Morten Weighorsts goal in extra time to make it 4-3 went right through him

All was forgiven when he saved that penalty, then he had to go and try to take one himself......

I thought Henry walking up to take the penalty was a joke.

He really began to piss me off toward the end.

Jeezuz - you can't really blame the goalkeeper because he missed a penalty.

I was there that night and I remember being absolutely livid that Alan Lawrence, our centre-forward, didn't have the stones to take a penalty. Christ, a supposed penalty box striker on the pitch and we have our goalie having to man-up. Jefferies should have had Nipper by the scruff of the neck and told him he was either taking a panalty or he'd be on his way to Montrose or some other football wilderness.

Anyway, result aside, it was a cracking night. Atmosphere was excellent. It was great to be standing at the footie amongst a large crowd - hadn't experienced much of that since the Taylor report kicked in. Remember going mental when Robbo scored that pen.

Henry does attend a lot of supporters club functions, top bloke and not shy on the bevvy either.

I was being tongue-in-cheek - Henry does more than his share for his legend tag.

His love of bevvy might have contributed to him telling Scott Wilson to **** off at Tynecastle last year :lol:

I was at that game, i remember the traffic congestion after it on the bridge back home again, we were actually stationary for a good while, work was being done on it or something, got home about 12:40 in the mornin!

Couldn't believe Henry was walkin forward to take a penalty though, only really saw Hamish McAlpine doin that at Dundee Utd! Don't recall him ever taking a penalty in his entire career! Had he scored he'd have been the hero, he didn't and got abuse for it. In my all-time favourite Hearts team in the evening news a few years back, he was the keeper i picked, even though he made a few mistakes he also saved us from a few tankings in the past. Also, he was there from 1981 to 1995 which gives him his legendary status in Hearts folklore and almost always kept his place in the team even though other keepers came and went. Nicky Walker was terrible as was Craig Nelson. He also kept Ian Westwater, John Brough, Murray McDermott and a couple of others out the team as well.

My top 5 keepers are:-

1- Henry Smith

2- Antti Niemi

3- Craig Gordon

4- Gilles Rousett

5- Marian Kello

Oh, what the hell.. worst 5 also:-

1- Eduardas Kurskis

2- Anthony Basso

3- Andy Bruce

4- Craig Nelson

5- Nicky Walker

delpieroismagic

Cracking game and atmosphere but gutted at the end. Having witnessed Hearts in later cup rounds master clutching defeat from the jaws of victory in that era against the likes of Airdie, Celtic, St Mirren and then to see Henry slice a penalty seemed to send a few fans over the edge. It was nights like those that have made 1998,2006 and 2012 all that bit sweeter.

I was at that game, i remember the traffic congestion after it on the bridge back home again, we were actually stationary for a good while, work was being done on it or something, got home about 12:40 in the mornin!

Couldn't believe Henry was walkin forward to take a penalty though, only really saw Hamish McAlpine doin that at Dundee Utd! Don't recall him ever taking a penalty in his entire career! Had he scored he'd have been the hero, he didn't and got abuse for it. In my all-time favourite Hearts team in the evening news a few years back, he was the keeper i picked, even though he made a few mistakes he also saved us from a few tankings in the past. Also, he was there from 1981 to 1995 which gives him his legendary status in Hearts folklore and almost always kept his place in the team even though other keepers came and went. Nicky Walker was terrible as was Craig Nelson. He also kept Ian Westwater, John Brough, Murray McDermott and a couple of others out the team as well.

My top 5 keepers are:-

1- Henry Smith

2- Antti Niemi

3- Craig Gordon

4- Gilles Rousett

5- Marian Kello

Oh, what the hell.. worst 5 also:-

1- Eduardas Kurskis

2- Anthony Basso

3- Andy Bruce

4- Craig Nelson

5- Nicky Walker

On his day Henry was a fine keeper but in terms of ability there's no way he's better than Niemi and Gordon or possibly Kello for that matter.

I agree with your top 5 but not the order.I would go:

1: Niemi

2: Gordon

3: Kello

4: Rousett

-: Smith

I've put Henry joint 4th with big Gilles because they were so similar, capable of making unbelievable saves but also capable of making unbelievable balls ups.

Correct apart from

Harry Rennie

Jack Harkness

Jimmy Brown

Cruickie

Neimi

Craig Gordon

to name 6

You're entitled to that opinion but regards the bottom 2 I felt Smith was better. His shot stopping was just as good but was a far better taker of cross balls than both Niemi and Gordon. Ok he spilled the odd 1,2 maybe 4 or 5 over his career but I seen him crosses as far out as the penalty spot and in days where goalkeepers did not get anywhere near as much protection as they do today or have done in the last 10 years.

Regards the other 4 I know my old man would agree with Cruickie however I have only watched US for 32 years therefore cannot compare previous number 1s!

On his day Henry was a fine keeper but in terms of ability there's no way he's better than Niemi and Gordon or possibly Kello for that matter.

I agree with your top 5 but not the order.I would go:

1: Niemi

2: Gordon

3: Kello

4: Rousett

-: Smith

I've put Henry joint 4th with big Gilles because they were so similar, capable of making unbelievable saves but also capable of making unbelievable balls ups.

You could make an argument that Niemi and Gordon were better keepers than Henry Smith.

But Kello?

No way on this earth.

No way.

No.

Negative.

Hearts Heritage

You cannot compare modern day goal keepers to today's goal keepers. In term of athleticism the older keepers wouldnt come close.

Tell that to Jimmy Brown

Was at this game.. Went on the toll cross supporters bus if memory serves, was only 14. Remember getting back well late for a school night.

King of the North

Was there, in the main stand. Superb Hearts support that night.

Met Henry in the stands of parkhead at the 98 final.

'Henry Smith!' I said, excitedly and a bit pished.

'Nah. I'm much better looking than that ****' he replied.

Legend.

Dundee team included 2 future Hearts cup heroes, Jim Hamilton and Neil McCann.

I remember listening to this on the radio when I was about 12-13.

Was a weird game. When i saw henry walk up i thought at first dundee were having to retake their pen. then he placed the ball and i just stood wondering wtf??

That was also the same day jean marc bosman won his court case.

Archived