Walker, Holt and Prchynenko

joshp

These were supposed to be the lads ready to make the step up from the youth team, but on saturday none of them were even in the squad. Does anybody know why or what's going on?

heard from a good source that holt and walker got a real roasting by mcglynn at halftime during the spartans game and were consequently subbed......................

easy targets for mcglynn imo,seems he definately has his favourites and holt for whatever reason defo isnt one of them..........

hope the youngsters dont get to downhearted as mcglynn should be on his way out fairly soon if things carry on in the same vain......

Like everyone else I've heard nothing but great things about holt. The HIBS u17 coach said to me that holt is the best young player he had ever seen in all the years he had been taking youth team football. It's a shame he's not getting a fair chance, even if he did have a stinker against Spartans!

Makes it even stranger considering he had all three at Raith last season and Walker in particular, did really well.

The guy doesn't have a clue with not even having them in the squad for most games this season, let alone Saturday.

Its about time these guys came in if you ask me.

Walker in for Novikovas and Holt in for Taoiul.

The team on saturday lacked any heart and determination and these two where at the heart of it mostly.

Just because they are young doesn't mean they deserve a chance, maybe they started to believe the hype around them before they've barely kicked a ball. Im quite happy McGlynn will put them in when they/he is ready, he's played patterson,carrick and Mchattie already ffs hardly stifling our yoof!

alwaysthereinspirit

Simple answer is John McGlynn is out of his depth.

Any chance that the players are out off their depth? Just saying.

Like everyone else I've heard nothing but great things about holt. The HIBS u17 coach said to me that holt is the best young player he had ever seen in all the years he had been taking youth team football. It's a shame he's not getting a fair chance, even if he did have a stinker against Spartans!

dont think he played to badly against spartans m8.............

was doing ok,then played one stray pass which lead to a corner which spartans scored from.............

novi was dreadful against dundee,especially in the 2nd half,but makes the starting line up for the next game.like i say it seems like if your face fits you'll get umpteen 2nd chances,holt is a smashing litle player and will be a success at hearts long after jm has left the club imo.........

Simple answer is John McGlynn is out of his depth.

if they learn to stay in the night before a game they might be players................

Any chance that the players are out off their depth? Just saying.

Let's take a closer look. Paterson for example ha played at right back, right mid and now up font as a lone striker. Does that sound like a manager who knows what he's doing? To me it smacks of desperation, he's chucking players around hoping it will work like a drunken gambler at the roulette table.

Jam Tarts 1874

Let's take a closer look. Paterson for example ha played at right back, right mid and now up font as a lone striker. Does that sound like a manager who knows what he's doing? To me it smacks of desperation, he's chucking players around hoping it will work like a drunken gambler at the roulette table.

Just chucking in Holt, Walker and Prchynenko would be an even more desperate move. We have not seen much of these players yet, so hold them up as some kind of saviours is ridiculous. From what I have seen of Prchynenko - he is shit.

Makes it even stranger considering he had all three at Raith last season and Walker in particular, did really well.

The guy doesn't have a clue with not even having them in the squad for most games this season, let alone Saturday. Maybe down to the fact he aint picking the team......

mahgrassyshoes

Its about time these guys came in if you ask me.

Walker in for Novikovas and Holt in for Taoiul.

The team on saturday lacked any heart and determination and these two where at the heart of it mostly.

I'd leave novi in and swap walker for driver. Wasn't Novi's best game by a good distance, but he still contributed more than driver.

McGlynn had all three on loan last season. Denis had a hernia just after he joined (I think), walker played plenty and seems to have done pretty well. Holt was punted out the team because Raith were in a relegation scrap and wanted more physical, experienced huddy in midfield for a battle. If our performances carry on we'll be in a relegation battle and our midfield 3 will be Barr, Hamill (when he returns) and Stevenson with the sole aim of winning the physical battle and no intention of playing much football.

I've watched walker and holt in a few bounce games this season and seen nothing to suggest they are currently gd enough for the spl. They will be, of that I have no doubt, but not convinced they are ready

As for prychenko, I'm far from convinced by what I have seen so far. Hope he proves me wrong.

Holt was punted out the team because Raith were in a relegation scrap and wanted more physical, experienced huddy in midfield for a battle.

And that's the man we hired a our manager :vrface:

Just because they are young doesn't mean they deserve a chance, maybe they started to believe the hype around them before they've barely kicked a ball. Im quite happy McGlynn will put them in when they/he is ready, he's played patterson,carrick and Mchattie already ffs hardly stifling our yoof!

They deserve a chance because what we're doing just now isn't working! Agree 100% with speedbump!

alwaysthereinspirit

Over the years we've had many, many, many "outstanding" youngsters who turned out to be "where are they now" types.

Assuming McGlynn knows just a wee bit more than any of us then we have to hope he's doing right by the kids.

He's not going to risk his own employment by not playing them just to spite someone. He's had less than 3 months in charge. Hearts are a huge job compared to Raith. It'll take time. He needs to be given it.

JM is under pressure. The results are not going his way.

On Saturday only started with one young player, then had one more come on as a late sub. Youth will take a back seat IMO until results improve.

JM is struggling, no way will he take a "gamble " with younger players.

His job is on the line.

McGlynn is under pressure as we have won only once this season and that was the first game - there's no way he'll be chucking them all in the team at present. He needs wins.

Assuming McGlynn knows just a wee bit more than any of us then we have to hope he's doing right by the kids.

He's not going to risk his own employment by not playing them just to spite someone. He's had less than 3 months in charge. Hearts are a huge job compared to Raith. It'll take time. He needs to be given it.

"Over the years we've had many, many, many "outstanding" youngsters who turned out to be "where are they now" types"

And to be fair none of them ever came back to haunt us, football is full of great young talents that never made it.

However so many people have said Holt is the next big thing, it would be a real shame if he doesn't make it at Tynecastle.

Our midfield lacks ballwinners. Holt is an excellent player

so is Taoul but they do not defend.

our big problem this year is midfield without a doubt.

crap sides have taken us on and won.

Holt can only play if we have others to win the ball and feed him

As a watcher of the U 19s last few years it is obvious those coming through are having to play different style

hoof ball basically. Patersons reaction to some of the crap thrown at him against Dundee says it all.

He spent half the game gesticulating as to how he wanted the ball played to him and then watched as it

was hoofed over his head.He is a big guy and is coping better with our current style. but most of the rest are small so need to play with ball at feet.

The U19s played the ball on the ground and were successful doing so with Holt and Walker probaly the stand outs .

.like i say it seems like if your face fits you'll get umpteen 2nd chances

I dont agree with this bit.

Mchattie was given a few games, looked nervous, was dropped

robinson was off form, got dropped

suttons been rubbish, got dropped

carrick looked out of his depth against dundee, straight back to the bench

driver dropped for novi for a few games

he tried mcgowan at am. reckognised it wasn't working

paterson was at rb, reckognised he wasn't strong enough defensively and moved him

Some are complaining he doesn't change things other complain he changes too much and is desperate.

When your only striker is guff the only options are stick with him and hope he improves o rtry something new.

Paterson was a forward and he's tried it to see if it works.

With mcglynn i'm confident if it isn't working he'll try something else

If the manager doesn't feel they should be in the squad then that's fine by me. He knows them better than anyone on here. Holt is over-hyped anyway.

jamboinglasgow

People have to remember that McGlynn will have a settled XI, from what has played so far it seems to be

McDonald

McGowan,

Zaliukas,

Webster,

Grainger

Barr,

Taouil,

Driver,

Novikovas,

with the other two spots filled by two of Stevenson, Patterson and Sutton.

Having a settled XI means that other players have to wait for injures or suspensions to get their place. So Prychnenko will have to wait for Barr to pick up an injury (or him moving back into defence if Zal or Webster pick up an injury.) Robinson will come in for Taouil, McHattie for Grainger, Walker for either wingers, Holt should be as back up for the central attacking midfielder role. I think its good these players are getting game time again for Under 20s, if it can be done right then they can get match fitness and a bit confidence in the Under 20s ready for when they are called upon. From what I have read, McGlynn was annoyed with a couple of the players listed against Spartans as he felt they were not really trying in a game which was prime oppourtunty to impress him and to be honest he is right, this a great time for any young player at Hearts, every game no matter who it is against and what level should be treated as a chance to show their best, Carrick and Patterson have done it and it has put them ahead of others.

This reminds me, what happened to callum tapping? Heard good things about him last season and now nobody not even on here is talking about him. :S is he still a hearts player?

jamboinglasgow

This reminds me, what happened to callum tapping? Heard good things about him last season and now nobody not even on here is talking about him. :S is he still a hearts player?

Yeah he is still here and from all reports this season doing well in reserve and Under 20 matches, I do think he will make at least a couple of apperances this season (even if they are off the bench) but at the moment he is behind Barr, Taouil, Robinon, Prychynenko and Holt for a place in the senior central midfield. Just needs to be patient.

I seen Prchynenko coming out of Riccarton on Sunday, he must have been in doing a bit extra work.

I do find it pretty strange - Prychenko came on at an important stage in the scottish cup semi against celtic and made the bench for the final. I was quite looking forward to seeing this guy, this season.. He's properly built, not a skinny wee scottish lad.

Get him in McGlynn.

If I was a football manager struggling to get results, the absolute last thing is do is chuck in a bunch of youngsters in place of the more experienced players.

That said, I'd have punted Taouil a long time ago.

JM is under pressure. The results are not going his way.

On Saturday only started with one young player, then had one more come on as a late sub. Youth will take a back seat IMO until results improve.

JM is struggling, no way will he take a "gamble " with younger players.

His job is on the line.

His job isn't on the line anymore than any other managers is or was - it's only on the line in your head (& other pant-wetters), there is zero to suggest Hearts have any intention of replacing or changing the management team this early in the season.

Sydney from Sydney

If McGlynn has a strategy it's not very clear to the fans. Paterson up front was a joke and not fair on the player. As stated if the coach has a plan he should try and get his message through to the fans because his tactics or lack of is confusing.

I expect that Holt Walker and Prychynenko will start in this evening's U20 game v Falkirk (Newtongrange 7pm).

However, there could be a few changes from the side that won last week at Kilmarnock with Hamilton back from Scotland duty, Mullen fit and McHattie needing a game.

Someone said it earlier on - the problem is these guys have grown up playing football on the ground, passing, moving, creating space, under McGlynn we are a hoof ball, hope for the best, out of date football team who are getting walked through or hit on the counter by some really piss poor teams.

Under Sergio at least we seemed to have a bit of consistancy through the teams - he wanted football played at 1st team level as did the youth teams, how any youngster is supposed to step up into that midden of a side is beyond me.

McGlynn is a dinosaur, time for Janny to step up and get us playing football again, play to our strengths and at least look like there is some semblence of entertainment on offer.

I dont think Locke or Janny have the slightest incling as too what McGlynn is trying to do - they look as bewildered as the team and most of us in the stands.

mahgrassyshoes

If McGlynn has a strategy it's not very clear to the fans. Paterson up front was a joke and not fair on the player. As stated if the coach has a plan he should try and get his message through to the fans because his tactics or lack of is confusing.

Why was Patterson up front a joke? He played well and got himself a couple of chances. Got more involved that Sutton has all season and was one of the few who actually got pass marks. One of the few plus points on Saturday, imo.

People have to remember that McGlynn will have a settled XI, from what has played so far it seems to be

McDonald

McGowan,

Zaliukas,

Webster,

Grainger

Barr,

Taouil,

Driver,

Novikovas,

Having a settled XI means that other players have to wait for injures or suspensions to get their place. So Prychnenko will have to wait for Barr to pick up an injury (or him moving back into defence if Zal or Webster pick up an injury.) Robinson will come in for Taouil, McHattie for Grainger, Walker for either wingers, Holt should be as back up for the central attacking midfielder role. I think its good these players are getting game time again for Under 20s, if it can be done right then they can get match fitness and a bit confidence in the Under 20s ready for when they are called upon. From what I have read, McGlynn was annoyed with a couple of the players listed against Spartans as he felt they were not really trying in a game which was prime oppourtunty to impress him and to be honest he is right, this a great time for any young player at Hearts, every game no matter who it is against and what level should be treated as a chance to show their best, Carrick and Patterson have done it and it has put them ahead of others.

This makes perfect sense. Let's not post this overly as we want to convince ourselves that these lads are unfancied and are now shit.

McDonald

McGowan,

Zaliukas,

Webster,

Grainger

Barr,

Taouil,

Driver,

Novikovas,

Surely there place would also be in jeopardy if they were under performing? like being in a team that has only won one game all season.

As for Novikovas and Taouil they were guttless and went into hiding on saturday after we went 1-0 down.

What we need now is to battle out a couple of victories.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

What amuses me is why anybody posting here actually thinks they are better qualified than McGlynn to make the decsion when he sees them every day. I doubt McGlynn would deliberately spite a better option, since the Hearts head coach job is generally one that shoogles on the peg at the best of times.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Surely there place would also be in jeopardy if they were under performing? like being in a team that has only won one game all season.

As for Novikovas and Taouil they were guttless and went into hiding on saturday after we went 1-0 down.

What we need now is to battle out a couple of victories.

Barr fairly bottled that challenge for the 2nd goal as well. McDonald a sack of tatties, dont care if it was moving, it was 40 yards from goal for goodness sake and he wasnt even close.

I dont agree with this bit.

Mchattie was given a few games, looked nervous, was dropped

robinson was off form, got dropped

suttons been rubbish, got dropped

carrick looked out of his depth against dundee, straight back to the bench

driver dropped for novi for a few games

he tried mcgowan at am. reckognised it wasn't working

paterson was at rb, reckognised he wasn't strong enough defensively and moved him

Some are complaining he doesn't change things other complain he changes too much and is desperate.

When your only striker is guff the only options are stick with him and hope he improves o rtry something new.

Paterson was a forward and he's tried it to see if it works.

With mcglynn i'm confident if it isn't working he'll try something else

the problem is he is fumbling about from position to position trying to patch things up with no apparent logic..............

paterson was constantly being caught out of position at fullback but playing well going forward,mcgowan was like a fish out of water as an attacking midfielder..........

so he done what any mug could see and put ryan back to fullback and played paterson in front of him.both were outstanding against liverpool and the right hand side looked secure,job done..............

then he decides to change patersons again and push him up top because we are struggling up front when any mug again can see that the call should be sutton up top with stevenson in and around him supplying him short passes in the box to feed off.................

macdonald

mcgowan zal webster grainger/mchattie

paterson barr ? driver/novi

stevenson

sutton

thats probably the best we've got till hamill comes back,or we manage to resign merlin and push stevenson back in beside barr.i dont see jm making any coherent progress since the liverpool games,in which we were superb,its a scattergun approach which is just killing us imo.........

Barr fairly bottled that challenge for the 2nd goal as well. McDonald a sack of tatties, dont care if it was moving, it was 40 yards from goal for goodness sake and he wasnt even close.

I agree totally and seeing as we are playing the blame game Grainer was awful aswell.

I have the confidence these are one off mistakes from these guys. The other two that I mentioned are not up to scratch imho.

I think the reason they are not playing is exactly the reason why you want them to play ....expectation. not saying he is the best manager in the world but we all no what would happen if they played and we lost.. boooooooooooo. They need to be phased in. They are not to be treated as a Rudi replacement, which they would be by some

heard from a good source that holt and walker got a real roasting by mcglynn at halftime during the spartans game and were consequently subbed......................

easy targets for mcglynn imo,seems he definately has his favourites and holt for whatever reason defo isnt one of them..........

hope the youngsters dont get to downhearted as mcglynn should be on his way out fairly soon if things carry on in the same vain......

Rightly so. They were both poor and deserve a rollicking of their manager. However thankfully it was only infront of 1100 people ans not at Tynie because they would have got the cynical get them of the park taunts

Just been to the Under 20's game against Falkirk. Holt and Walker out the 3 played. Didn't impress I'm afraid!

It was 0-0 when I left (******* freezing) Mullin was playing left back. Tapping looked fairly decent.

Lost 0-1, to an 88 minute penalty given for handball against Mullen. Difficult to say if he handled it as he was looking to chest the ball back to the keeper. Mullen got a second yellow in the incident as Hearts ended with 10 men.

First half was fine with good possession and passing. Several half chances created but shooting was genarally wide of the mark.

Second half was shocking. Not a shot on target. Looked very lighweight in midfield and up front. Falkirk didn't test Hamilton in the Hearts goal either and a 0-0 draw would have been a fair result.

Best for Hearts was McHattie playing at centre back.

Hamilton

A King McKay McHattie Mullen

Walker Tapping Holt

B King (Oliver) Carrick Nicholson

Archived