Buying from Costco

Rivlin

Anybody with experience of buying large item (eg TV ) from Costco? I wondered what their after sales is like for guarantees etc.. They offer a 5 year one on the TV.

I'm yer man!

Costco has the best guarantee on everything they sell. I had my TV for 4 years and the plasma screen started pixelating. Phoned the (freephone to America for some reason) They sent a company from Dundee(?) to take the telly away to have a look at it and they said the screen was fecked. They got in touch with Costco regarding the repair, which was too expensive. I took it back and got a full refund. Bought a pannie 50" 3d effort and it cost me a further ?19.

People take stuff back that they have had for at least a year (non TV) and they get a full refund.

What gadgie says. In my time there I seen folk bring back 4 year old TVs and get refunds because the telly didn't match their decor anymore! That's been clamped down on but the customer service is still awesome. They also still have pricing authority, you can try but will mostly fail to find a like for like product cheaper. If they're aware of being outpriced they either beat the price or withdraw it from sale.

Gadgy, was there today looking for a Sony LED 40" which my folks bought a couple of months ago, ?499 and it's everything I need but not there anymore ... that's what I hate (but also like) if you want it you have to buy it there and then.

Bought a kingsize bed recently

Silentnight memory foam mattress

Sets of goals for my boy

Costco is the dugs nads.

Sheriff Fatman
People take stuff back that they have had for at least a year (non TV) and they get a full refund.

You don't even have to take it back to the same store or even a store in the same country. If you have the receipt you can get a full refund on almost any item from any of their stores worldwide.

Though a guy that took 7 laptops back in the space of 11 months was taking it a bit far (there was nothing wrong with 4, and he had dropped another and broken the screen on another) and ended up having his card taken away from him for being a pain in the bahookie.

How d'yee join Costco?

Ye have to qualify. To qualify for an individual membership, you need to work for local government, forces or in finance.

Trade membership, you have to own or manage a business. ?30 for a 2 card individual membership. ?24 for trade.

PM me if you need any more info! :thumbsup:

Ye have to qualify. To qualify for an individual membership, you need to work for local government, forces or in finance.

Trade membership, you have to own or manage a business. ?30 for a 2 card individual membership. ?24 for trade.

Acht, I'm none of these... Could I just pretend I own a business?

"Foxy's disposals"

"Foxy's disposals"

What is it you do do for a livin? Or yer other half. There is 2 cards per membership ye see.

"Foxy's disposals"

You can become a member if you have a profession like a lawyer or engineer etc.

What is it you do do for a livin? Or yer other half. There is 2 cards per membership ye see.

Is it actually much cheaper than the retail shops though? I'm sure I saw a flyer for it once and thought the prices werent that great. Is Costco the one out my Loanhead or is that Makro?

I'm giong to buy my mum a new PC so was thinking about chaecking it out if its cheaper.

Is it actually much cheaper than the retail shops though? I'm sure I saw a flyer for it once and thought the prices werent that great. Is Costco the one out my Loanhead or is that Makro?

I'm giong to buy my mum a new PC so was thinking about chaecking it out if its cheaper.

yep its next to ikea. my experience is some things are cheaper but others are not.

was in a couple of weeks ago and was sorely tempted to get the digital scalextric set, but i couldn't justify spending ?350 on it

That's no right dude! You need to work for a UK preferred company! As in a company with 30+(or 50+) employees that have paid a small fee to Costco (?100 or so) to give their staff the opportunity to join. It's as wide a spectrum as you want it to be. Professionally qualified people also qualify so if you have a degree then you can join (I think that's the case anyway).

Brush up on your membership info Gadgey, you're no selling it very well :thumbsup:

"Foxy's disposals"

If you have a bank account to back it up yeah :lol: Add in some letter headed paper from Foxy's Disposals and you're probably in. VAT registration isn't essential as it's not essential to owning a business.

That's no right dude! You need to work for a UK preferred company! As in a company with 30+(or 50+) employees that have paid a small fee to Costco (?100 or so) to give their staff the opportunity to join. It's as wide a spectrum as you want it to be. Professionally qualified people also qualify so if you have a degree then you can join (I think that's the case anyway).

Brush up on your membership info Gadgey, you're no selling it very well :thumbsup:

I have a degree! :yas: Finally can put it to use!?

:yas:

I work in tourism/leisure industry.

I have a degree! :yas: Finally can put it to use!?

:yas:

I work in tourism/leisure industry.

It be worth a go. I guess it depends on their definition of a professional but they try and make everyone able to qualify, the membership criteria is one of the stipulations of their planning applications and they wouldn't get to build on brownfield sites without it.

Could be wrong but think it might be a professional qualification ie. chartership.

:sob:

Broken dreams.

jambos are go!

When I took out a membership at the Gyle I unaware that they had any criteria other than the ability to pay the joining fee. They certainly did not seem to be asking any questions of me or anybody else.

Malinga the Swinga

Have bought 2 tv's and a laptop from Costco, and service is excellent. They don't bother you by trying to push certain products, so you need to know what you are looking for, but the guarantees are excellent, and never been able to get products cheaper at the time of purchase elsewhere.

ASnd there wee cafe is good as well. Free refills are always welcome when you have 3 kids.

What's the typical,warranty on a tv then ? I bought a panne 50 inch viewers plasma about 2 years ago and it's got a couple of things wrong with it could use being fixed

What's the typical,warranty on a tv then ? I bought a panne 50 inch viewers plasma about 2 years ago and it's got a couple of things wrong with it could use being fixed

5 years, probably through Costco concierge service. I don't know much about it, I'm sure gadgey probably knows more.

Dude! I work for membership! The UK preferred list only gets updated in Watford!

A degree means hee haw unless it is in use! When did you last work for them?!

Example - Amazon employees - thousands of them - don't qualify.

Yep phone the Costco concierge service on 0800 066 5091 (12 noon - 12 midnight) They'll sort ye oot.

Dude! I work for membership! The UK preferred list only gets updated in Watford!

:lol:

Yeah but surely you guys market yourselves with large enough companies for preferred memberships in the Edinburgh area? We used to do that in Aberdeen anyway.

I worked for them from 1997-2006 with my first 4 years being in Edinburgh and the latter years being in Aberdeen. Have they changed the way they do memberships??

The only real change I've noticed as a shopper since I left was the recentish introduction of AMEX (and a few subtle changes)and it's took them since 2001 to get that in. Amazon employees don't qualify because they aren't on the UK preferred list surely? It's like Asda employee's will never qualify because of their association with Walmart and neither will Tesco employee's because they see the company as C****.

My apologies if I got it wrong :lol:

Does Peter Kelly still do the area manager gig?

edit: seen some odd things too, like pics on facebook of Aberdeen where I swear it looks like they've got proper 18ft high steel on the fence?? No such thing in Thurrock.

Aye Peter is still the panic causer up here, the sellik git!

I started in 06 and as far as i'm aware, nothing has changed. Amazon pose no risk to Costco, are in Dunfermline, but are not UK preferred. Hee haw we can do about it.

Most warehouses have erected the 18 feet steel at the fence. Bit of a pest, as ye cannie see the telly from the membership desk anymore!

As fro the Amex, I've been selling it recently. 10 years to get it right as ye say, still a difficult sell!

All in all, a pretty decent company to work for tho*

Had to put that bit in, My supervisor uses JKB! :P

Andy is a good lad tho!

I agree they're decent to work for, I got a lot out of working for them. The hours broke me in the end, I was a merch sup for my last 3/4 years and constant earlies and working every Saturday pushed me out in a lifestyle choice. I have a job but I don't work for a living anymore :lol:

Would a chartered waste manager (CIWM) qualify?

Guys looking for a membership could try getting a family member or a mate to add you to theirs.

Me and the gf have a card as we just got added onto her granny's. Were up yesterday buying kegs of Budvar.

Thanks for all the info! I'll hopefully buy my plasma tv soon - if it's still in stock!! Biggest problem is gettin my old CRT set oot the hoose!!

Had to put that bit in, My supervisor uses JKB! :P

Andy is a good lad tho!

Noted. Straight to the top of the class Gadge!

Iron Jambo, i started in '99, whereabouts in the store did you work?

Got myself one of those Executive memberships. Pays for itself. Are they cheaper? I would say no. But the quality is far higher, meat, fruit, veg especially. If the warranty is that decent, might start looking at the electricals too.

If you are the boss, then yip.

Turns out my work joined in April but have not yet validated the membership. A trade membership total cost ?24. I have the ref number.

As the newly appointed office manager what personal ID would I need to validate the membership, I have utility bills and headed paper etc for the company.

Turns out my work joined in April but have not yet validated the membership. A trade membership total cost ?24. I have the ref number.

As the newly appointed office manager what personal ID would I need to validate the membership, I have utility bills and headed paper etc for the company.

1 utility bill and 2 pieces of business stationery will suffice. just take them to the warehouse and they'll photocopy them and print off your card(s)

Archived