School teachers - here are the real maths!

i8hibsh

Depending on the type of teacher, most have to have a first degree as well do they not? That would make a minimum of 4 years.

YOU CAN HAVE ANY POXY DEGREE AND DO A 1 YEAR TRAINIGN COURSE TO QUALIFY

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sheriff Fatman

At least they will be able to do basic spelling and maths.

You might want to go back and edit all your posts, as they all contain spelling or grammatical errors.

Congrats to Sheriff - he can use spellcheck

Sheriff Fatman
Congrats to Sheriff - he can use spellcheck

You don't need spellcheck to see all the basic spelling and grammar mistakes in your posts.

How about here for starters....

http://www.amicustheunion.org/Default.aspx?page=3136

Whatever these people at Grangemouth want, what they are doing now is taking the ****. No ifs or buts about it. They get paid very well and want to keep the final salary pension scheme for NEW employees. They also dont want to have to put a contribution into their existing pension scheme.

They are living on a different planet. They are holding the country to ransom and should be very careful about what they are doing. People will get very angry very soon and I am certain some of these people will come under physcal attack for their actions.

No we are not taking the pish

They do have a good salary

Starts at ?20K rising to well over ?30K

If they want paid more go out and get a real job

As my Dad says

Those that can, do

Those that can't teach!

It's a decent salary, and good holidays. But you wouldn't catch me doing it. Not for double the money. Would be an absolute nightmare job.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I very much doubt you could have 'any poxy degree' and get a job as a teacher.

What do you do out of interest?

I admire teachers, they don't have it as easy as you seem to think and it takes a certain type of person to become a teacher.

"Any poxy degree". Your choice of teaching subject may mean that a certain type of degree is required. E.g. A Mathematics degree will not allow you to teach English.

Teaching is a difficult job and a crucial service of any country. It is also an extremely stressful job where many quit because of the strains of the job.

I don't know why teachers in England and Wales are striking and so won't comment on a situation I have little knowledge about but some of the comments in this thread regarding teachers are extremely ignorant.

"Any poxy degree". Your choice of teaching subject may mean that a certain type of degree is required. E.g. A Mathematics degree will not allow you to teach English.

Teaching is a difficult job and a crucial service of any country. It is also an extremely stressful job where many quit because of the strains of the job.

I don't know why teachers in England and Wales are striking and so won't comment on a situation I have little knowledge about but some of the comments in this thread regarding teachers are extremely ignorant.

the degree doesnt just guarantee you entry onto teacher training either, you still have to go through interviews etc to prove your capable.

The course is 18 weeks in uni (with coursework due) and 18 weeks on the job in real schools with assessments from the uni and a (huge) portfolio to do.

The PGCE year is a bloody tough year.

I P Knightley
Yyou bunch of greedy,lazy,no good, unreasonable idiots!!!

Take your National Union of Teachers and hide in shame!!

How much power are unions going to be given?, Wwe need to put an end to it now!!

Teachers in England & Wales areon strike as their pay ONLY increased by 2.75% (same as RPI).

The poor kids who are the ones who will truly suffer.

Now, let's do the maths that put those lazy fools to shame.

In 10 years a teacher's salary has increased by 10%.

They get more than Police officers(who can't strike) and nurses.

The reason you ONLY got 2.75% is becausethat for all intents and purposes your boss (gov't) is not doing so well so that will have a knock on affect effect on you, just like it would do me if my Company was performing poorly.

You get 52 weekends off a year (without exception) all 7 public/bank holidays and 12 weeks annual

52x 2 = 110104

+7

12x7 5=8460

110104+7+8460 = 1611 days off per annum

365- 201161 = 164204 working days a year

Iin this working day they are not out in the cold,; got bosses constantly down their throat,; they are not open to public abuse (granted abuse of 5 year olds) and they can have their cups of tea snacks whilst sitting at a desk whilst the kids read.

I know for most of the part they do a good job and work hard ,who doesn't?!!!

"Oone silly wench was on BBC 24 last night complaining as she can barely afford a mortgage!!"

It's(?) beggars belief!!!

Hardly anyone has a mortgage!!! Bbig deal, (or ; ) it's the way of our world - should we all strike?!!!!

Unions - listen to me and listen good.........95% of the world is overworked and underpaid , some of which the NUT could not even fathom!!!

I ask you this Westminster - don't even hear them out. Ddon't pay them and be strong!

:evilno:

Not good enough.

See me after class.

Yes, hibsh, in my own time!!

Your teachers may have let you down at school but the JKB community is here to help you ;)

I am sure the teachers are first to complain when they can't get a bus or a flight is cancelled due to industrial action!!

Why would teachers be first to complain? What an utterly bizarre statement.

Ray Winstone

You are starting to make a fool of yourself now!

You have to do a degree specific to the subject you want to teach - and I think the rule is you have to graduate with honours which is 4 years and then a years teacher training which includes placements at 3 schools in 12 months!

So thats 5 years (add more for postgrad, PHD etc.) minimum to be a teacher and also if its Primary teaching you want to do, its a specific 'Primary Teaching' degree you have to do - which is not easy to get into.

I can clearly see that teachers have not had any impact on your life, however these people do a good job and deserve to be paid well for it.

coppercrutch
No we are not taking the pish

You have already shown that you are happy to make stuff up to support your argument...

http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/showthread.php?t=12059&page=2

Correct me if I am wrong but this dispute is about the cancelling of a final salry pension scheme for new employees ?

its about cancelling it right across the board new and excisting employees

Wrong' date=' and this is from the UNITE website itself.

http://www.amicustheunion.org/default.aspx?page=8307

"Unite members at the Ineos plant in Grangemouth are to strike on Sunday 27th and Monday 28th April in protest at plans to close the final salary pension scheme to new entrants and reduce provision for existing scheme members"

They are canceling it for new employees and REDUCING it for existing employees. What you have stated above is incorrect. So you are clearly showing your bias in regards to this subject. You need to look at things from both sides in this World....

If you are an example of how the rest of these chumps are acting at Grangemouth - I hope you all get replaced by hard working Poles. :)

168px-Flag_of_Poland_%28normative%29.svg.png

The course is 18 weeks in uni (with coursework due) and 18 weeks on the job in real schools with assessments from the uni and a (huge) portfolio to do.

The PGCE year is a bloody tough year.

My mates doing it and he's been sent to Easterhouse for his placement.

If that doesnt deserve over 30 grand a year, then i dont know what does.

Ray Winstone
My mates doing it and he's been sent to Easterhouse for his placement.

If that doesnt deserve over 30 grand a year, then i dont know what does.

They get 3 placements usually (sometimes just 2) but he might get lucky and get a comfortable private school for his next one!

I went to private school and never understood what the teachers had to complain about.

Wish some of them would go and teach at a school on special measures and maybe see how lucky they were!

Denny Crane

Only a road-sweeper could have come up with that piece of logic.:rolleyes:

teachers do the best out the lot of them and their holidays are an utter joke.

The work 40% of the year and I can assure you none of them continually do 11 hour days like previously state don here.

Believe me teachers don't even know they are born!!!

12 weeks holiday a year!! joke

OK give them more money but take a month of their holidays away - then see them cry

Kids get too may school holidays anyway

1 months more teaching a year would do us all good

Kids today all over the UK are playing Nintendo and not learnign and teachers are sititng ont heir lazy erses watching cash in the attic!

I trust that if you were brave enough to come and visit my registered owner and put your viewpoint to her that you would , if you were still capable of, apologise to her for the wholy unfounded rant you are spouting on here. My wife regulary gets up at 5am to complete the marking she was too tired to do at 10:30 pm becayse comming in from your work and then doing an extra 5 hours is just too hard:evilno:

Hear, hear.

Well said NT. Teachers work a lot harder than the days given by the OP would suggest. It's a highly stressful job and they have health and safety on their back at every occasion QUOTE]

Unless you know NT personally, you won't know how funny that is.

Brilliant.

Right for the zillionth time, i ma not disputing how hard a job etc it is, I am disputing their pros by far outweigh the cons.

Just seen some young woman - just qualified a few months ago and is striking coz the pay.

i'm sorry but surely 3 months ago when she joined she knew what the pay was like

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

MODS

Thanks for changing the title of my thread - saved me some embarrassment.you coulnae change my 52x 2 = 104 could you haha

You have already shown that you are happy to make stuff up to support your argument...

http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/showthread.php?t=12059&page=2

If you are an example of how the rest of these chumps are acting at Grangemouth - I hope you all get replaced by hard working Poles. :)

168px-Flag_of_Poland_%28normative%29.svg.png

I'm pretty sure the Poles would not be striking right now

ship of the teachers to poland and bring the poles in to teach

I trust that if you were brave enough to come and visit my registered owner and put your viewpoint to her that you would , if you were still capable of, apologise to her for the wholy unfounded rant you are spouting on here. My wife regulary gets up at 5am to complete the marking she was too tired to do at 10:30 pm becayse comming in from your work and then doing an extra 5 hours is just too hard:evilno:

I respect teachers!!!

I dont doubt their efforts. My OP was possibly more emotive than anything

It appears to me however that all teachers do is complain!!

They are the Vicotr Meldrew of the professional world

They have way more pros than cons in their job - and I assure you not many professions can say that

I must say I preferred i8's scenario where I only had to work 164 days in the year - you numerate scoundrels have gone and increased that by nearly 25% :nono::laugh:

davemclaren
I respect teachers!!!

I dont doubt their efforts. My OP was possibly more emotive than anything

It appears to me however that all teachers do is complain!!

They are the Vicotr Meldrew of the professional world

They have way more pros than cons in their job - and I assure you not many professions can say that

Anyway, it's a change from your anti-Salmond rants. ;)

the degree doesnt just guarantee you entry onto teacher training either, you still have to go through interviews etc to prove your capable.

what will they have to endure next!1

They even have to attend interviews!!

poor poor teachers!

Anyway, it's a change from your anti-Salmond rants. ;)

hahhah i was thinking of starting one as I just seen him getting interviewed.

He is so smug that teachers in England and wales are squabling

it's just one up manship for the chubby wee crusader

davemclaren
hahhah i was thinking of starting one as I just seen him getting interviewed.

He is so smug that teachers in England and wales are squabling

it's just one up manship for the chubby wee crusader

My wife is a teacher. She'd make mincemeat of you if she read this!! :cool:

Or perhaps the Bosses are deliberately closing in an attempt to sway public opinion in their favour? Make the Union out to be the bad guy?

S'funny but it never seems to be the fault of the oil companies....

good old Boris

you are as extreme to the left as Hitler was to the right

MODS - this is not acomparison in people before i receive an infracture i am just

saying it to show how extreme Boris is

My wife is a teacher. She'd make mincemeat of you if she read this!! :cool:

this is not personal attacks on peoples misses etc

My rant is with holding the good British public to ranson

If their salary was drastically decreased then i could understand but techaers know what they get, or do they not read their P60s?

I may not be ateacher but I know teachers, I had them for 7 years of Primary and 6 years of High School. I seent he job they had

they are DECENT paid- not greta but better than many

they have a RIDICULOUS amount of holidays - enough to make the Queen be sick

decent pension and they know their work schedule 10 years in adavnce - no shift work

yes they have stress c'est la vie

yes they can work hard c'est la vie

yes they need to train for their job - c'est la vie

Nothing is extraordinary about their situation

It makes me sick quite frankly

I P Knightley
I must say I preferred i8's scenario where I only had to work 164 days in the year - you numerate scoundrels have gone and increased that by nearly 25% :nono::laugh:

25% increased effort and I'd gladly increase the rise to a round 3%.

Can't say fairer than that...

My main gripe with teachers is their hours and their holidays. I would quite happily give them a 10-15% pay rise but reduce their holiday entitlement to 4-5 weeks per year and ask that they work a 39 hour week, this should give them plenty time for marking etc in school. I am extremely bitter regarding my own time at school when I look back. We were the year that had the change from O'Grade to Standard Grade and intermittently from primary school to the end of secondary school our teachers were on strike. I feel that my education suffered and once its gone its gone.

Secondly I know that the teachers do not make the curriculum but the basics are no longer taught to any great level. I employ around 30 people and the closer to school age the person the poorer their grasp of the basics are. Surely this must be taken into account when giving a pay increase to a teacher, there must be some performance relationship to the teachers pay and not just an across the board increase.

My main gripe with teachers is their hours and their holidays. I would quite happily give them a 10-15% pay rise but reduce their holiday entitlement to 4-5 weeks per year and ask that they work a 39 hour week, this should give them plenty time for marking etc in school. I am extremely bitter regarding my own time at school when I look back. We were the year that had the change from O'Grade to Standard Grade and intermittently from primary school to the end of secondary school our teachers were on strike. I feel that my education suffered and once its gone its gone.

Secondly I know that the teachers do not make the curriculum but the basics are no longer taught to any great level. I employ around 30 people and the closer to school age the person the poorer their grasp of the basics are. Surely this must be taken into account when giving a pay increase to a teacher, there must be some performance relationship to the teachers pay and not just an across the board increase.

No probs with that

they need to make sacrafices too

Sick of Unions wanting everything their way and prepared to give up anything

maltese jambo
Well, your Dad's as ignorant as he is stupid son. Maybe he should have spent more time concentrating at school then he wouldn't come out with such total crap.

Mrs NT is a school teacher and she works her socks off. Every weekend is spent marking, and doing other stuff for the school. She regularly works 10 or 11 hours a day. Yeah, they get plenty hols, but like I say, she puts in more hours than most of us on here do, that's for sure.

I love all these tw&ts on here gobbing nonsense, like would YOU ever become a teacher, probably not, got neither the brains, nor the bottle for the job. Just a bunch of mugs mouthing off.

And since when was over 30k that well paid? They're professionals. That's what most people in a profession get paid. Do you think lawyers, doctors, accountants get paid less? They're also workers who are being screwed by the government who use the totally incorrect and misleading Consumer Price Index to try and keep pay down below actually what inflation is (what happened to Noo Labours 'Education, Education, Education' pledge? another trite soundbite to go with all the others), when everybody knows the real rate of inflation is measurable by the Retail Prices Index. Guess which is higher than the other?

If anyone thinks schoolteachers would go on strike lightly, then they're probably as stupid as they're sounding on here. Most teachers I know wouldn't go on strike if there wasn't genuine cause. The fact that's this is their 1st strike of note in 21years shows that. Oh, and they're not on strike up in Scotland anyway, so stop greeting ya puffs.

NT.

Think thats a bit uncalled for to personally insult someone.

The bottom line here is that teachers are getting a VERY good deal currently. They ARE getting a pay rise, they have LOADS of holidays...infact they have an obscene amount of holidays.

When it comes to the stage where children are made to suffer purely due to the greed of teachers, we are in a very sorry state of affairs indeed.

When i was at school i got the impression that most teachers were passionate about teaching, enableing children to better themselves, and would do anything for the kids....the last thing i thought is that they would stop teaching just to get a few more perks to their already swelling contracts....i guess times have changed.

This is even more shameful when you contrast this state of affairs in poorer countries such as Botswana, where teachers teach purely for the benefit of the kids and the kids only.

Think thats a bit uncalled for to personally insult someone..

Thank you

That is what got me really ****ed of yesterday.

I never insulted his missus, just gave my (and my fathers) opinion on teachers.

Cheers

coppercrutch
My wife regulary gets up at 5am to complete the marking she was too tired to do at 10:30 pm becayse comming in from your work and then doing an extra 5 hours is just too hard:evilno:

Are you sure your wife is actually a teacher.............:peek_by_Andrin:

doctor jambo

The real problems as with everything are as follows

1- the country is run on a capitalist basis, no question of that

2- the public services are run on a socialist basis- equal access, no preferential treatment, wage scales, national agreements etc

the capitalist government use socialist methods (control of pay depsite rising costs etc on a national scale DEPITE demand for the skills rising which would in a capitalist system lead to huge wage inflation) in a capitalist state with disasterous consequences

The state use state sector workers pay to control inflation whilst not controlling the pay of the private sector

How very fair.......

The country needs to decide if it is socialist or capitalist, as the current blend simply does not work

coppercrutch
The real problems as with everything are as follows

1- the country is run on a capitalist basis, no question of that

2- the public services are run on a socialist basis- equal access, no preferential treatment, wage scales, national agreements etc

the capitalist government use socialist methods (control of pay depsite rising costs etc on a national scale DEPITE demand for the skills rising which would in a capitalist system lead to huge wage inflation) in a capitalist state with disasterous consequences

The state use state sector workers pay to control inflation whilst not controlling the pay of the private sector

How very fair.......

The country needs to decide if it is socialist or capitalist, as the current blend simply does not work

To be fair neither of those really works. History shows us we are doomed to failure. Only question is when !!

Bert Le Clos
you bunch of greedy,lazy,no good unreasonable idiots!!!

Take your National Union of Teachers and hide in shame!!

How much power are unions going to be given, we need to put an end to it now!!

Teachers in England & Wales on strike as their pay ONLY increased by 2.75% (same as RPI)

The poor kids who are the ones who will truly suffer

Now let's do the maths that put those lazy fools to shame

In 10 years a teachers salary has increased by 10%

They get more than Police officers(who can't strike) and nurses.

The reason you ONLY got 2.75% is because for all intents and purposes your boss (gov't) is not doing so well so that will have a knock on affect on you, just like it would do me if my Company was performing poorly.

You get 52 weekends off a year (without exception) all 7 public/bank holidays and 12 weeks annual

52x 2 = 110

+7

12x7=84

110+7+84 = 201 days off per annum

365- 201 = 164 working days a year

in this working day they are not out in the cold, got bosses constantly down their throat, they are not open to public abuse (granted abuse of 5 year olds) and they can have their cups of tea snacks whilst sitting at a desk whilst the kids read

I know for most of the part they do a good job and work hard ,who doesn't!!!

"one silly wench was on BBC 24 last night complaining as she can barely afford a mortgage!!"

It's beggars belief!!!

Hardly anyone has a mortgage!!! big deal it's the way of our world - should we all strike!!!!

Unions - listen to me and listen good.........95% of the world is overworked and underpaid , some of which the NUT could not even fathom!!!

I ask you this Westminster - don't even hear them out. don't pay them and be strong!

:evilno:

I'm a teacher and while I agree with some of your points, you clearly have no idea of what teaching today is like ie. the pressures and extra work that come with the job.

I don't agree with the strike, but you have no idea what you are talking about.

Bert Le Clos

You must have a relevant undergraduate degree to the subject you want to teach.

That means 3 years minimum at university plus one years teacher training, at another university.

That makes 4 years at university.

The more you post on this thread, the less I actually believe you know what you are talking about.

coppercrutch
I'm a teacher and while I agree with some of your points, you clearly have no idea of what teaching today is like ie. the pressures and extra work that come with the job.

You seem to be reasonable.

So out of interest can you give us an idea of what the real details are ?

Average hours 'officially' worked per week.

Average hours extra at home per week.

etc...

What you think of the overall package etc...

You don't have to of course - just thought it may be interesting to get a real teacher commenting.

And BTW how the **** are you on JKB you should be in the classroom !!;)

Guest S.U.S.S.

Give them their pay rise.

Then pro rata their pay in line with the hours they spend at work.

For argument sake

An average worker works 250 days of the year

A teacher works circa 160 (from another post)

Give them their pay rise then pro rata it.

I P Knightley
Give them their pay rise.

Then pro rata their pay in line with the hours they spend at work.

For argument sake

An average worker works 250 days of the year

A teacher works circa 160 (from another post)

Give them their pay rise then pro rata it.

The professionals among us are (or should be) paid for the value of their skills and, more importantly, the value of the output. Nothing to do with input (hours worked).

I used to be in the position of working on salary reviews for a number of professionals in the world of presentation (lectures etc.)

It was clear who the most valuable were as the delegates gave them fantastic accolades and they recommended their friends & colleagues. Great for business.

One of the very best who got the highest salary awards put in next to no effort in preparing whilst others were there slogging it out practically every hour that God sent and got the salary awards commensurate with their outputs. Of course, the sloggers would, on occasion, bitch about their colleague but that's the green-eyed monster.

That was a relatively small concern and I'm not suggesting that teacher pay awards could be done on an individual basis. My point is that pro-rating for hours worked should not be part of the formula.

I suspect that those who point out the shorter hours for teachers are suffering a little from the attack of the green-eyed monster. But then, so many have said that they wouldn't dream of going into teaching. Can't have it both ways.

pressures and extra work?

With respect do you expect a medal?

Most jobs have that

fail to see your point

Agreed tho I don't know what it is like to be a teacher but i did observe them for 13 years of schooling

You must have a relevant undergraduate degree to the subject you want to teach.

That means 3 years minimum at university plus one years teacher training, at another university.

That makes 4 years at university.

The more you post on this thread, the less I actually believe you know what you are talking about.

For high school teachers yes (Maths, English, Geography etc)

But i used to go out with one who was primary school and it isn't like that for them

places are always offering teacher training for any degree

Teachers are not indespenable

They have an over infalted opion about themselves

Bert Le Clos
You seem to be reasonable.

So out of interest can you give us an idea of what the real details are ?

Average hours 'officially' worked per week.

Average hours extra at home per week.

etc...

What you think of the overall package etc...

You don't have to of course - just thought it may be interesting to get a real teacher commenting.

And BTW how the **** are you on JKB you should be in the classroom !!;)

The kids finish at 12pm on a Friday, I was on my lunch and have just finished an afternoon of meetings and presentations!

Here's how it is;

I teach for 21 hours a week ie. 21 classes. This means I have to prepare for 21 classes, which is not a 2 minute job. Each class is an hour long, and I need to plan so that every pupil is catered for, so the weakest pupils aren't out of their depth, but the most intelligent are still challenged. Gone are the days of simply getting pupils to copy down what you write on the board.

I have 5 free periods a week, which I can use to plan lessons. However, there are various other things teachers have to do during the day that take up some of this time - medial tasks that come with any job etc.

I get virtually no preparation done in my 5 free periods once I have done all my other tasks so I need to plan, mark classwork and prepare and mark homework at home. I get home about 5pm, and will finish marking and preparing work by 11pm at the latest. After my classes sat their prelims I also had 80 odd exam papers to mark.

I'm also obliged to enroll in 35 hours of Continuous Professional Development work per year, contribute to whole school and departmental development plans (improving standards of teaching) and commit to a "working group" which looks at improving other areas of day to day school life.

On top of this I voluntarily coach the rugby team (Monday night, Wednesday night and Sat mornings), run a table tennis club and two lunch-time revision clubs and I organised a ski trip to Austria this year. These are the extra things that many teachers do that are taken for granted.

Oh and for next week I have an S2 parents evening and 90 1st year reports to write! Plus I have the responsibility of getting 60 S4 pupils and 22 S5 pupils through their exams this month!

I accept that teachers get a lot of holidays, and I am not fully behind the strike, but I think the majority of people do not realise how hard teachers work these days.

Bert Le Clos
For high school teachers yes (Maths, English, Geography etc)

But i used to go out with one who was primary school and it isn't like that for them

places are always offering teacher training for any degree

Wrong, to be a primary school teacher you need to

a) Enroll in a 4 year honours course in primary teaching or

B) Enroll in a 1 year post graduate course with a relevant degree ie. english, psychology etc.

Bert Le Clos
Teachers are not indespenable

They have an over infalted opion about themselves

Wrong again.

No one is indispensable, but I think teaching is one of the most important jobs there is. That's not to say I have an over inflated opinion of myself, but without teachers you wouldn't have doctors, lawyers, accoutants, nurses or bin-men.

Yes teachers get a lot of holidays, but there are a lot of jobs with less pressure that pay a lot better than teaching.

I have a friend who is a recruitment consultant, a job with a lot of pressures. But at the end of the day his job is to find people who can work on building sites. My job is to educate nearly 200 pupils, get them through their exams and prepare them for life. He ears a lot more than I do.

Archived