Brines puts his hands up. (NHC well maybe a wee bit)

Devries4

Having adopted the position I did, it didn't allow me to gain the best view of what happened during the incident

Yet Celtic got the free kick...

Brines excuse is unbelievable.

He says this : Having adopted the position I did, it didn't allow me to gain the best view of what happened during the incident.

So he saw enough to disallow the goal at the time but in retrospect he wasn't in a good position to judge.:evilno:

Brines , you do what most Scottish refs do : you saw what you wanted to see in a crucial game involving the OF and you disallowed the goal accordingly !!! Go on , just admit it.

Yet Celtic got the free kick...

Yes... So he is saying... "from my position I couldn't see,had no idea what had happened, so I gave a free kick to Celtic" ???

Yes... So he is saying... "from my position I couldn't see,had no idea what had happened, so I gave a free kick to Celtic" ???

I wonder how often this happens...

Mind you, he does blow the whistle well before the ball goes into the net, its not like he sees the goal and then blows.

But a bad decision none the less - at least he admits his mistake, unlike others who watch it again on TV and still claim to have done nothing wrong...

MackaysCentreSpot

I have watched the incident over and over and how that idiot of a man can state that Diamond handled the ball is frankly ridiculous.

His hands are no where near the ball.

difn3.jpg

I have watched the incident over and over and how that idiot of a man can state that Diamond handled the ball is frankly ridiculous.

His hands are no where near the ball.

difn3.jpg

Also if you watch the highlights he has a decent view of the incident the ball is played long and he watches the ball the whole way.

Can you imagine the outcry if it had been 1-0 Aberdeen and this goal was chopped off for Celtic?

Strachan would have exploded.

Imeantasong

Aahh, the ref who couldn't wait to send Craig Gordon off at Falkirk when we topped the league.

I seem to remember CG was less than complimentary about the nature of the responses to questions about the rule used. I think he knew the guy was a cheat.

And the REF at that New Year game against Celtic.

Don't recall us getting too much support from other fans right enough.

Seymour M Hersh
Can you imagine the outcry if it had been 1-0 Aberdeen and this goal was chopped off for Celtic?

Strachan would have exploded.

You delusional young man!! It would never have been disallowed had that been the scenario.

Billy the Jambo

The useless james blunt is just trying to get brownie points by admitting his mistake he should be sacked with immediate effect

This is a sham conducted by the sfa

In a week where RR and ZD claim the referees are biased this happens

By brines saying yeh i got it wrong

It is like saying if we do make mistakes we put are hands up

So we have not made them previously

Maybe I am just being paranoid

He has simply cheated during the game to give Celtic the benefit...realised afterwards that it was too big a cheat to play down, and has towed out the 'ach well, it was a mistake afterall' line...which is no good to anyone now.

Thig Ar Latha

Anyone ever tried refereeing a match? IMO the foul was given against the Dons player who took the ball on his chest. His hands were up and the ref could easily have thought it was hand ball, or at least used his arm. Having said that I think Brines was looking for a reason too give the foul anyway, as he's done that far too often, as we all know.

Anyone ever tried refereeing a match? IMO the foul was given against the Dons player who took the ball on his chest. His hands were up and the ref could easily have thought it was hand ball, or at least used his arm. Having said that I think Brines was looking for a reason too give the foul anyway, as he's done that far too often, as we all know.

Wrong...Brines said in the bbc article above that he blew his whistle for Diamonds hand ball in the air. Plus, Barry Nicolson is quoted as saying that brines told him he blew the whistle against Diamond, not him.

Refereeing is hard for sure, but that was just cheating, no two ways about it (ala Andy Davis-esque)

Sounds awfy similar to Doogie McDonut's 'defence' of him denying us a penalty when Bobo Balde nearly broke Bednar's leg in Sellick's penalty box a couple of years back - I was too far away, couldn't see it, I'm a Hobo, Levein slagged me once etc.

I think I see a pattern. Oh wait a minute, Sellick got the benefit of the doubt again.

Although I hate to give any credence to Roman's pathetic excuses for our absolute national hunt of a season.

Thig Ar Latha
Wrong...Brines said in the bbc article above that he blew his whistle for Diamonds hand ball in the air. Plus, Barry Nicolson is quoted as saying that brines told him he blew the whistle against Diamond, not him.

Refereeing is hard for sure, but that was just cheating, no two ways about it (ala Andy Davis-esque)

Amazing, could'nt have given anything against Diamond on this occasion. IMO re, the BBC video, the only possible hand ball (and it was'nt) was against Nicolson.

As you say, very Davis-esque. :sad:

Can I join your Group pls? Hail the Spice Ref's

pic.php?u=1875BVQF6&i=1100821

I'll need a name ..... (any suggestions?)

What about Max Mosley!!!

Corrupt? Possibly.

Biased? Maybe.

Incompetent? Firkin A.

But that's what you get when you fast track refs and have them undergoing on the job training in the SPL.

Just think, there once was a time when a Scottish ref would have gone to Euro 2008. I'm sure once Uefa watched on in horror at Thompson's performance last summer in the U-21 Euro's it will be a long time before any Scottish official is invited back to the top summer tournaments.

Well done to Don McVicar and all the lads at the SFA. I'm sure the Scottish refs will love taking charge of the crappy Uefa cup ties in eastern europe for the next decade.

At least he has admitted he got it wrong.

Only because he got caught out totally by the TV cameras. It was irrefutable and damning evidence. He did not have the balls to allow a last minute goal against Celtic at this stage in the season - how bad is that? His excuse is pathetic and he never even sought the opinion of his assistants. Upshot is that the goal remains disallowed and Celtic get another 2 points they ought not to have gotten...

If you think about it, is Roman Romanov?s claim so extreme if you consider that the OF benefit to the extent of 7-8 points per season and other clubs lose 7-8 points? We?ve hardly been cost any points this season by referees because we?ve lost lots of games all by ourselves but for any team in the top half, you simply cannot afford to lose 7-8 points through poor refereeing and hope to get anywhere near the OF...

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

What good is coming out after the game and admitting you made a 'mistake' ?

I could see the point if it was a one off or something but this fecker is a complete and utter numpty.

Surely he has to be demoted. He's cost Aberdeen a point, possibly cost them end of season prize money and possibly harmed Rangers title chances.

In England a mistake gets you dropped down a division. No questions asked.

Here he will probably be awarded the Scottish Cup Final. :sad:

If the huns miss out on the league because of this, how will the GFA calm walter down when Brines gets to stay a ref.

Archived