The Melville Pub

duckandcover

Berts Bar used to be the 'Auld Hoose' Bob.

It was my 'local' back in the 60's, frequented by the 'Rockers!'(No Mod would dare come into it!

The Auld Hoose has a familiar ring to it, but the district is a wee bit out of my Happy Hunting Grounds area. Abbey Buffet, Southern, Falcon, Junction, Cannae Man and Market Bar, with the Fair Exchange in the early days.

Stuart Lyon

Bob the Falcon is now Drouthy Neebor's, the Junction is now the Cask and Barrel Southside (the original C&B is in Broughton St and was the Claremont Bar). The Mrket Bar at Ponton Street is no more. It became an Italian restaurant but is now a Chinese. Fair Exchange is gone too. The Canny Man's is still there.

J.T.F.Robertson

The Auld Hoose has a familiar ring to it, but the district is a wee bit out of my Happy Hunting Grounds area. Abbey Buffet, Southern, Falcon, Junction, Cannae Man and Market Bar, with the Fair Exchange in the early days.

A fair few blasts from the past, there, Robert. Was there not an "Auld Hoose" somewhere in the South Side general area?

A fair few blasts from the past, there, Robert. Was there not an "Auld Hoose" somewhere in the South Side general area?

Is there not one up St Leonard's way somewhere?

J.T.F.Robertson

Is there not one up St Leonard's way somewhere?

Well, I'm originally from the Pleasance and it runs in my mind, there was one kickin' around there.

Well, I'm originally from the Pleasance and it runs in my mind, there was one kickin' around there.

Googled it. The Auld Hoose, 23-25 St Leonard's Street. :thumbsup:

Edit: Still open by the looks of it.

J.T.F.Robertson

Good stuff! Get a round in and I'll be right across.

I'll get the lassie to leave it in the tap. From your location it could be a while till you get here.

The Real Maroonblood

Bob the Falcon is now Drouthy Neebor's, the Junction is now the Cask and Barrel Southside (the original C&B is in Broughton St and was the Claremont Bar). The Mrket Bar at Ponton Street is no more. It became an Italian restaurant but is now a Chinese. Fair Exchange is gone too. The Canny Man's is still there.

I like both C&B's.

Great selection of Real Ales. :thumbsup:

The Melville

Load of mince...

Young lass was doing a decent job turning into a jambo stronghold... Place was always a riot when Hearts had a big match!

The Melville

Am not aware if you are a drinker in The Melville, But Hopeless is a bit harsh, I had (as said by a number of folk on here) build the bar up in the last year, it being one of the busiest bars in edinburgh on the final weekend (statement from police) with not one bit of bother...also it being busier in general than it had been in years, Thanks to everyones comments back to this HOPELESS statement, And I will see you all soon in the Melville for a massive re launch party!! :) Mel

Am not aware if you are a drinker in The Melville, But Hopeless is a bit harsh, I had (as said by a number of folk on here) build the bar up in the last year, it being one of the busiest bars in edinburgh on the final weekend (statement from police) with not one bit of bother...also it being busier in general than it had been in years, Thanks to everyones comments back to this HOPELESS statement, And I will see you all soon in the Melville for a massive re launch party!! :) Mel

Noli Illegetimi Carborunndum , :thumbsup:

Dunno her C so not havin a pop, oz guy yes and his laddie.

Seems she was victim of a set of circumstances beyond her control. Good location though for the right sort of pub for that locale, get yersel in there :-) av got an auld half crown sitting in a TSB account doing nought if you need funding

believe me the man from oz,s son had nowt 2 do wi melville although his name was used many times in the hotpoint front loader

Hartleys_Jam_Tart

:thumbsup: cany wait !

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

I can confirm that it's (still) open.

See you there. Keep us informed of the re-opening date. I was all over the place in The Melville on the Monday after the final. Think I was flat on the floor at one point. :D

• 1 month later...

Hiya Melville is still not open but I am now in Scotts bar on Rose street as manager there, I also have taken the Melville staff and customers :) All meeting here on tuesday before and after the game see you allsoon hopefully :) Mel

Hiya Melville is still not open but I am now in Scotts bar on Rose street as manager there, I also have taken the Melville staff and customers :) All meeting here on tuesday before and after the game see you allsoon hopefully :) Mel

Is that the first pub on the right coming from the West End Mel?

Did Jim Cruickshank not manage Scott's in the late 70s or am I just getting senile? :ninja:

The Real Maroonblood

Does it make it official if you say it is official?

Or does it just mean you actually have a rubbish taste in pubs.

Definitely the latter. :thumbsup:

Its a good wee bar :) and close to westend

We always got off the bus stop on North Bridge and started at the East end of Rose Street so I was amazed to get that far. :whistling:

Thanks Stevie, Its brewery owned afain they are just waiting for a new tennent.

And yeah rose street master of pub crawl :)

Hopefully see you all soon

Mel

scott herbertson

Used to go for a pub crawl every friday along rose street way back in the 70s after work in the festival box office (summer job).

With a mad flautist from Drylaw. He was insistent the first couple of pints had to be done in a one-er and it was usually rapidly downhill after that. Got distracted a few times in the go go bars and can't remember ever making it to the end of the street, but we might have....

The Real Maroonblood

Used to go for a pub crawl every friday along rose street way back in the 70s after work in the festival box office (summer job).

With a mad flautist from Drylaw. He was insistent the first couple of pints had to be done in a one-er and it was usually rapidly downhill after that. Got distracted a few times in the go go bars and can't remember ever making it to the end of the street, but we might have....

Do you remember The Goblet(110)?

The trip to the loo was horrendous. :lol:

Any jobs going ? :lol:

Last time I was in the Melville ended uphaving a session wi the boy who plays the pathologist in The THorne scardycat series..he was also in Braveheart i think.

Used to do good lunches and had a wee bookies right across from it.now a desinger dress shop I recall after bouncing in late one afternoon trying to stick a tenner on Hughes for Hannon and getting a withering look from some Henrietta

Youll remember the Glue pot along from Parkers and The Territorial across from Bobbys Bar.

The Grapes has taken over from Wee malkys as the gang hut for the area your mate Peter Motion is in most days now The Cabin is a Tescos.

Lesleys has kicked out a few Characters like Joe Quiletti etc in an attempt to go up market.

broughies tach

Do you remember The Goblet(110)?

The trip to the loo was horrendous. :lol:

Now we have almost gone round full circle

The Goblet was managed by 'Jimmy & Yvonne' (later of the Bull & Bush) and the hired help was Betty who was manageress of the Melville just before Mel

Six degrees of separation and all that

• 2 months later...

Hi guys, obviously the Melville isn't opening for a few weeks and its a different owner so I won't be having anything to do with it :( but am now in Scott's bar on ros? street and managing there. It's been great with everyone from the Melville now drinking there. Hearts fundraiser was a great turn out and also will be starting the taxis fom Scott's to Tyne on home games (free of course) so hope to see you all there. Mel :)

I'll be in Scott's Bar on Friday night on my works night out with the guys from Aberdeen so any footage from Saturday's game on the big screen would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers, we'll be in about 7ish, the boys are looking for some nice malts to warm themselves up on our Rose Street pub crawl!

Alec Ciderson

Hi guys, obviously the Melville isn't opening for a few weeks and its a different owner so I won't be having anything to do with it :( but am now in Scott's bar on ros? street and managing there. It's been great with everyone from the Melville now drinking there. Hearts fundraiser was a great turn out and also will be starting the taxis fom Scott's to Tyne on home games (free of course) so hope to see you all there. Mel :)

were you working Saturday

Now we have almost gone round full circle

The Goblet was managed by 'Jimmy & Yvonne' (later of the Bull & Bush) and the hired help was Betty who was manageress of the Melville just before Mel

Six degrees of separation and all that

Jings

I stacked the beer shelves in the Goblet when I was about 16 i.e. late 60s.

It was run then by a bloke called Bob McCallum I think.

Archived