"If you take away all the foreign coaches and players from the Premier League you?re stuck with one of the worst leagues in the world."

jamboinglasgow

jamboinglasgow

Thought this is an interesting point made by the former Wales asssistant coach (and fitness coach) Raymond Verheijen, or at least one to provoke discussion.

Raymond Verheijen ?@raymondverheije

If you take away all the foreign coaches and players from the Premier League you?re stuck with one of the worst leagues in the world.

So thoughts?

Hagar the Horrible

Thought this is an interesting point made by the former Wales asssistant coach (and fitness coach) Raymond Verheijen, or at least one to provoke discussion.

If you take away all the foreign coaches and players from the Premier League you?re stuck with one of the worst leagues in the world.

So thoughts?

It was not the worst league in the world during the 70's when the only foreign imports were Scottish in fact every good team had one either as manager or international

Charlie-Brown

So thoughts?

does that exclude Scots, Welsh & Irish? If it doesn't then history tells us otherwise.

Between 1977 and 1984 English clubs with virtually no foreign managers, coaches & players and almost exclusively UK & Irish born players completely dominated the European Cup, Cup Winners Cup & UEFA Cup easily winning the lions share of European trophies including 7 out of 8 European Champions Cups in that period before English clubs were banned.

It was not the worst league in the world during the 70's when the only foreign imports were Scottish in fact every good team had one either as manager or international

But the influx of foreign players has left them way behind where they were back then.

Put it this way, if you took all the foreign players out of the Bundesliga, La Liga and Serie A and did the same with EPL, I think it's hard to argue that the EPL wouldn't be miles - really miles - behind those others in terms of quality.

Worst in the world is obviously ridiculous, but it would be struggling up against the French, Dutch and Portugese leagues for quality.

Of course it's totally hypothetical, and if they hadn't had all the foreigners then the focus would have been inward and the depth of quality of English players would be better, but it's definitely a very interesting way to look at the sparsity of home talent within that league.

You only have to look at the English national team for confirmation that the league wouldn't be as strong - but one of the worst in the world...is simply nonsense.

I'd suggest most leagues would be weaker without foreigners - the best two players in Spain aren't Spainish, there's a host of quality imports in Italy, Russia, Germany the list goes on....

The Mighty Thor

Bright lad is Raymond.

If you take away the engine and steering wheel from Lewis Hamilton's McLaren you're left with one of the worst Formula 1 cars in the world.

The foreigners give it the star factor. Without them it would certainly be behind Germany, Spain, Italy, France, Holland, Portugal, Argentina and Brazil in terms of quality. but that's hardly the worst in the world. The quality of the homegrown players is miles behind some other countries.

Football was a different beast back in the 70's and 80's. Tackling and physical power were far bigger factors and British players were far more robust than most of the continental teams. Not to say there weren't skilful players, but Liverpool, Forest etc had some players who'd be sent off every game these days.

Tommy Wiseau

What a wild exaggeration :lol:

If the major leagues in Europe were banned from using foreign players for a year, the Premiership would be hit harder than (imo) Italy, Germany and Spain for certain, but hardly the same thing.

EPL have the most cash. Many of the top players abroad want to go there. All of the top British players don't want to leave there. It's obvious that would be the case.

Chad Sexington

If he thinks the EPL is bad he should probably avoid Kilmarnock v St Mirren on a pissing down, February night. :vrface:

So thoughts?

It is not what he says, but I think he means out of the major nations, such as Spain, Italy, Germany, France and maybe Holland.

If so, he is right.

But that is the point as far as English football is concerned. Pre Bosman it was usually Scots, Welsh & Irish that played. Take thoseplayers out and what would the English game have achieved in comparison?

Slight exaggeration but he does have a point.

Of course he does. Look how poorly English clubs did in Europe when the three foreigner rule was in place.

I'd suggest most leagues would be weaker without foreigners - the best two players in Spain aren't Spainish, there's a host of quality imports in Italy, Russia, Germany the list goes on....

But despite that Spain have won the last two Euro championships and the last World Cup. La Liga also has 38.8% of its players from overseas, where the Premiership is at 63.3% (source:http://comparetheleagues.com/)

So thoughts?

It depends on what you are looking at. In terms of tactics and technique, the average English player is behind their Spanish, Italian, German, South American and Portugese counterparts. Without the influence of foreign players it is possible that the EPL would depend even more on physicality - or it could go the other way. Maybe if you could not draft in a foreign playmaker or number 10 then more work would be put into developing these players with vision and understanding that seem to be so rare amongst British players at the moment.

Nonsense.

Exaggerated for sure, but he does have a point. The standard of English player is possibly lower now than it has been for many years, and there isn't the depth of talent either.

Same van be said for many other countries too, notably Scotland.

German, Spanish, and Italian leagues would survive much easier without foreigners IMO.

But despite that Spain have won the last two Euro championships and the last World Cup. La Liga also has 38.8% of its players from overseas, where the Premiership is at 63.3% (source:http://comparetheleagues.com/)

Indeed wasn't suggesting they were the same as the EPL/English national team - just that it was a random statement to make and all leagues would suffer in some way if the foreign players weren't there.

Nookie Bear

The cream of the non-foreign talent in the premiership play for England.

I think he may have a point :o

Nookie Bear

If he thinks the EPL is bad he should probably avoid Kilmarnock v St Mirren on a pissing down, February night. :vrface:

Give Killie and St Mirren ?30m to spend on players each season and it would be different, no?

Give Stoke and Wigan ?50k to spend on players each season and see what happens.

On a tangent, evening games in wet conditions are usually much more enjoyable than a snore-fest in the summer sun. Fact(ish).

Indeed wasn't suggesting they were the same as the EPL/English national team - just that it was a random statement to make and all leagues would suffer in some way if the foreign players weren't there.

Oh, I agree. I think I was just trying to highlight that the EPL would suffer more given its higher %age of foreign players.

A consequence of this high proportion is the lack of experienced Englishmen coming through to play for the national team.

kingantti1874

of course it would be weakened. but one of the worst in the world at ni.. but you can say that about all of the top leagues which are supplemented by the best players from around the world.. the small league would get stronger

However if these top foreign players were not in the epl, would it be enjoyable to watch?

Engerlund in the euros was eye clawing football and do you honestly think sky would pay the massive sums of money they do if very team was made up of Englishman.

I would like to see Scottish football take a leaf from the mls, not that old in terms of the sport but still manage to attract top footballers to their league.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Tiberius Stinkfinger

La Liga has 38.8% foreigners.

Bundesliga 48.7%

Serie A 47.7%

EPL 63.3%

These figures suggest to me that if you take out all the foreign players, ALL the top leagues in Europe wouldn't be as good.

Raymond Ver whats his name would make a good SPL CEO.

merseyjambo

To be honest, he has a very good point.

After the 2010 world cup debacle, it was a point debated on talksport. The argument was that too many foreigners were stifling the development of English talent.

This is probably highlighted by the fact that the so called golden generation is finished and those coming through to replace them are no where near as good. I firmly believe that you will see a decline in the rankings by the national team by the time euro 2016 comes around.

Part of the problem is that the transfer market and wages paid in England are over inflated. The clubs are paid handsomely by television which allows them to pay silly money for average players. Marlon King just before he got jailed was at Wigan. They had paid something like 4m, which for a club like Wigan is big money. He was on 40k a week, yet he's nothing more than a journeyman.

When you look at what lower division clubs in England ask for transfer fees for their young players, it's no wonder that someone will pay a foreign club a smaller fee for a similar player. The system stifles English players and the fact they don't have the same technical ability makes it an easy decision for a club.

No matter what you think of the manager in charge of Scotland at the time, the problems for our national team started in the early to mid 90s when both rangers and Celtic started buying cheap foreign imports. Look at the quality of the players in the SPL now. The fact that sky pay so much for the rights means that clubs will continue to spend big but it will be on foreign imports diluting the quality of English player in the EPL further.

I actually think what he's said has a ring of truth to it. It's only the money being paid to them by sky to attract the players they are that makes it worth watching

However if these top foreign players were not in the epl, would it be enjoyable to watch?

Engerlund in the euros was eye clawing football and do you honestly think sky would pay the massive sums of money they do if very team was made up of Englishman.

I would like to see Scottish football take a leaf from the mls, not that old in terms of the sport but still manage to attract top footballers to their league.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Top footballers looking for an easy buck during their Golden Years. The SPL could never hope to match the money or the lifestyle the USA can offer. New York or Aberdeen? Tough choice....

To be honest, he has a very good point.

No he doesn't.

I'll bet you could easily name 100 leagues in the world that would be worse than the EPL without foreigners.

Let's start with the SPL.

His point would be more valid in the future. Just now, the EPL is one of the best.

When Rangers 'bought' success when Souness jumped in, other teams in Scotland had to start buying 3rd rate foreigners to keep up. The national team is proof of Scottish footballs decline.

England is going the same way, their national team atm is rated 4th (which is pish) no where near 4th, and its declining because of the amount of foreigners wanting to play there..

I mean ?30million for Caroll? no chance, football has gone mad but money wise EPL will remain big for the forseeable future, the national team will suffer, but i wont be losing much sleep about that! :thumbsup:

alwaysthereinspirit

I'd rather dip my nuts in honey and go on a bear watch that watch that game on August.

merseyjambo

No he doesn't.

I'll bet you could easily name 100 leagues in the world that would be worse than the EPL without foreigners.

Let's start with the SPL.

If you want to include the a-league, the hong kong premier, the Malaysian league etc yes.

Where in my reply did I say the SPL was better.

The point I was making and I think that was being made by the quote is that the EPL without all the foreigners, the EPL would be a mediocre league. In terms of leagues, it would certainly be below Spain, Germany, holland, Italy, France, portugal and Russia.

The other problem is that the spending power of the EPL is scouting the best of youth players throughout the world. It's squeezing English youngsters out of academies.

If messi was English, it's highly unlikely he would have made it to the professional ranks. British scouts at present look for size and strength as primary indicators of ability not their technical skills.

Yes there would still be worse leagues in the world, but with English players only, it would be outside the European top 10 leagues. It may be exciting but it would not be as good as the other major leagues in Europe

If you want to include the a-league, the hong kong premier, the Malaysian league etc yes.

Where in my reply did I say the SPL was better.

The last time I checked, Malaysia and Hong Kong were part of the world, so aye. I'd be including them as he said "One of the worst leagues in the world".

And don't be snippy because I'm arguing a counter point, please. I chose the SPL as it's the closest to home. At no point did you say it was better, and at no point did I say you did.

Thanks.

Tommy Wiseau

La Liga has 38.8% foreigners.

Bundesliga 48.7%

Serie A 47.7%

EPL 63.3%

These figures suggest to me that if you take out all the foreign players, ALL the top leagues in Europe wouldn't be as good.

Raymond Ver whats his name would make a good SPL CEO.

Seems to support my view that the EPL would be the hardest hit of the 4 major leagues in Europe. Really doesn't support this chump's rubbish opinion though :lol:

Jamtarts-1874

Iam sure it was said on that world cup program (can England win it) that only 27% of players in the premership were english which would mean 73% are foreign if u include wales, n. Ireland and scotland in the foreign list. It obviously wouldnt be one of the worst in the world. But it would by abseloutly miles become the worst of the big leagues

Iam sure it was said on that world cup program (can England win it) that only 27% of players in the premership were english which would mean 73% are foreign if u include wales, n. Ireland and scotland in the foreign list. It obviously wouldnt be one of the worst in the world. But it would by abseloutly miles become the worst of the big leagues

Which is what I think he meant. Some folk, I think are taking him too literally.

Archived