Places you feel unsafe

SanliHearts

Went off strip in Las Vegas a few times,very scary,fair enough,was trying to see the game on telly,taxi driver advise me not to go off strip at 4am,still never seen the derby game,the pub did'nae have the game on.

The Old Tolbooth

See some nice luxury cars though?

normal_Img_3910.jpg

I knew I should have kept my gub shut on this thread! :lol:

This surprised me at the time but I actually felt pretty unsafe in Geneva. Our hotel was right in the middle of the red light district and even during the day the pimps hung about the streets looking really threatening. Was even worse at night. But it wasn't even just that part of the city, other bits at night were equally as dodgy. As soon as we got out the taxi at the club we were going to we were offered drugs.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

When I went to America with my mate years ago, we wanted to go to a firing range to shoot a gun. We thought we'd found one in LA and got a taxi there.

Taxi drivers English wasn't great, so when we were trying to ask him for directions to one place, we toiled to get our request across. So, we ended up getting dropped off at a pretty rough area where folk were selling stuff on the kerb in some sort of kerbside market. We were the only white guys in the area and looked like tourists, my mate Col looks like a German tourist most of the time, FFS! So, instantly feeling out of place, we went looking for the next taxi possible to get us out of there.

Never did get to shoot a gun. :(

Similar to mine.

Ended up in a very dodgy part of Brooklyn which resembled a scene from The Wire, was absolutely shiting it walking past a group of black guys just standing at a car with baseball bats and all that nonsense.

Have to laugh at some of these though, Leith and the Sighthill underpass. :lol: How do you get through the day?!

Sheriff Fatman

I got lost driving between Orlando airport and International Drive 20 years ago and ended up in a couple of rather scary places, but the worst part was driving the wrong way up a slip way on one of the turnpikes I ended up on and seeing an 18 wheeler bearing down on me. I have never braked and changed into reverse gear faster in my life. It might have been an idea to wait for a bit more than 6 weeks after I passed my test to drive in the US.

In the UK the scariest place I have been was standing at the top of one of the Black Cuillins in a force 9 gale.

Saracen Street in Possilpark, walking along the length of it whilst wearing a shirt & tie. Not the normal attire for the area so it felt.

ArcticJambo

East Hastings, Vancouver is not particularly easy walking day or night ... probably the worst place I've been. Saying that, trying to get into a blues party in Toxteth with two other speeding pissed up whiteys wasn't a particularly sensible idea.

Off the beaten path NY days in Washington DC early morning at bus station was pretty ropey for this pasty faced Scot ... fortunately I was still just as leathered as all the jakeys ... upped the accent for added effect. :sweat:

PS - fitba at the Jack Kane was always interesting due to the local 'wildlife' :ermm:

What this thread is saying - essentially - is that black people are all thieving, raping murderers.

Except in Wester Hailes, that's just folk getting feart because their mammy's no there.

Saracen Street in Possilpark, walking along the length of it whilst wearing a shirt & tie. Not the normal attire for the area so it felt.

W

ArcticJambo

Similar to mine.

Ended up in a very dodgy part of Brooklyn which resembled a scene from The Wire, was absolutely shiting it walking past a group of black guys just standing at a car with baseball bats and all that nonsense.

Have to laugh at some of these though, Leith and the Sighthill underpass. :lol: How do you get through the day?!

That's the thing though ... sometimes what's scary is all down to your comfort zone and indeed being able to recognise whether you're in danger or a danger zone. We're all pretty familiar with the schemes of Edinburgh, and I'm pretty certain were we to walk through unfamiliar territory in say Manchester or Birmingham we'd definitely be holding the cheeks a wee bit tighter.

This is not always the case abroad ... boy from one of the grittier schemes outside Dublin and I drove from Yellowknife to Boston and spent a few days in Beantown before returning back to the islands of GB ... walked back from city centre to my sisters, and on hearing which route we'd taken she looked horrified ... in hindsight we did notice a bit more of the siren blasting but for the most part just made our merry ways blissfully unaware.

Worked for a charity firm in the early 90's,i had to delivery furniture to Glasgow twice a week,i was in every part of Glasgow,but this place scared me,Bandit country.

I love exploring off the "tourist trail" when I'm away but it can be so easy to end up in the wrong place. We walked about 25 blocks east of the french quarter in New Orleans (was mid afternoon) and couldn't find the bar we were looking for. We stumbled into a sports for a beer and the barman and locals were really taken aback that two tourists had made it out there :lol: On their advice we headed back before dark after our 2nd beer. The reckoned if we'd walked 5 more blocks we'd have had a pretty real chance of getting shot.

For what it's worth, these guys watch EPL and SPL on satellite so if anyones ever stuck there for a big match I'm sure I could remember the name of the place.

Was in NOLA at the weekend- definitely some places you don't want to wander into by mistake. Got lost in Washington DC once- was convinced I was about to get shot, and was warned to that effect by a few "friendly" locals.

Used to live a couple of blocks from a bona fide ghetto here in Houston- could be interesting late at night when pished.

Scariest place I have been, though, is Cabramatta- a Vietnamese ghetto in Sydney. Almost all of the heroin imported in Australia makes its way through there, apparently.

Oh there, and Lothian Road...:)

The Calders is weird now. I grew up there and it was always busy with folk out, or kids playing. Had to pass through it recently and it's like a ghost town.

Broomhouse still seems dodgy, dunno if the flats being brought down has helped. It was certainly rough as feck when I lived out at the Calders in the 70s. I saw some locus scene photographs of a murder that happened in one of the roundabout underpasses in the late 90s if memory serves - poor auld bloke got a kicking from some yobs, and one of the feral wee *******s then picked up a concrete slab and smashed him over the face and head with it, whilst he was lying knocked down, face up. :(

Not the worst murder locus photographs I ever saw in defence files mind, the ones from the Parkhead fire-axe murder in Glasgow were brutal...

I was in the Calders mate from 1974(months old) til 1998 when i moved out my Mum and Dads aged 24. The Calders was a great place during the 80`s, the period i most remember. Of course there were nutters but life seemed different. You never felt intimidated walking the streets, there was a real community feel and most kids knew each other and were pals.

You played football from 10 in the morning to 10 at night during the holidays and the place was buzzing with kids. Dads used to join in the games.......

I passed through one Saturday last summer and it seemed like a ghost town. From the school pitches to the shops and up to the area where i lived at the View. Hardly any kids out playing whether its football or just stoating about......

Glad i grew up when i did, fond memories. :thumbsup:

I bet the poor folk that got mugged during a spate of them a few years back share your humour? One being a woman with two kids who was held at knifepoint while being robbed.

Doesn`t matter where you are in the world, if a place gets a reputation it can get in peoples head. I know a few older people who are wary of having to use the underpasses.....

I grew up around that area and they`ve always been flashpoints for gang fighting, muggings etc......im not saying it happens 24/7 but throughout a year the underpasses are exploited by scumbags on and off.

I bet the poor folk that got mugged during a spate of them a few years back share your humour? One being a woman with two kids who was held at knifepoint while being robbed.

Doesn`t matter where you are in the world, if a place gets a reputation it can get in peoples head. I know a few older people who are wary of having to use the underpasses.....

I grew up around that area and they`ve always been flashpoints for gang fighting, muggings etc......im not saying it happens 24/7 but throughout a year the underpasses are exploited by scumbags on and off.

Wind yer neck in eh. I'm assuming the majority on here are fairly capable and strong males, obviously it's a different case for old people and women with kids.

I've walked through the underpass hundreds of times and have never seen one single dodgy thing. In fact these days you get buskers playing music, quite nice if anything. :)

Wind yer neck in eh. I'm assuming the majority on here are fairly capable and strong males, obviously it's a different case for old people and women with kids.

I've walked through the underpass hundreds of times and have never seen one single dodgy thing. In fact these days you get buskers playing music, quite nice if anything. :)

lol, wind yer neck in? Calm doon son.

lol, wind yer neck in? Calm doon son.

Perfectly calm bud. :thumbsup:

Worked for a charity firm in the early 90's,i had to delivery furniture to Glasgow twice a week,i was in every part of Glasgow,but this place scared me,Bandit country.

Hideous place. At the time I worked for a bookies & was lucky enough to become manager of a wee shop along from Saracen. Very obvious drug dealer starts coming in & placing big bets. I tell the district manager that he's responsible for the vast increase in money being taken. Should I be concerned that he's obviously money laundering? The response...'is he winning?'. Inspiring leadership. Anyway, thanks to the continued patronage of Mr. D. Dealer and the increased takings I got promoted. Strange business model really.

I'll admit to being a bit of a wimp :ninja: If I am walking home from somewhere in the dark on my own I almost end up walking backwards I am checking over my shoulder so often, I know it's rediculous!

Was in LA a few years ago and didn't feel safe at all heading back to our hotel at night, for that matter sometimes during the day aswell. I was using a payphone on the street just down the road from the hotel to call home and this guy was standing right behind me, like so close I could almost feel his breath on my neck. I thought he wanted to use the phone next to mine so I moved out his road but no, he just stood there. Eventually I asked if he was wanting to use the phone and he shook his head. By this time I was getting pretty scared, he stood there for another minute or so then just wandered off.

Nah - used to stay in Muirhoose (West Pilton Green) there is a few Jambos staying there.

Try walking into the Willie Muir (Pat Shantons pub) or Dookit (on Ferry Road) with your Hearts scarf on - mind you though anyone who does that will need to post the outcome in the Stupidity thread :whistling:

Edit: forgot to add the Gunner (on Pennywell Road) to my unsafe pubs list.

Willie Muir was demolished years and years ago and was in Granton, The Doo'cot was always mostly a hearts pub plenty good jambos drank in there although since it's changed to a Samuel Smiths pub its mostly empty and The Gunner is just full of old men. Appelby ran a tight ship when he had it and people were barred for the slightest thing so it wasn't actually that bad just rotten peeve.

But I would agree that Drylaw, Muirhouse and Pilton are probably a majority of Jambos. I take it this list was compiled 20 years ago Pinhead? :thumbsup:

Places I feel unsafe? Nowhere in Edinburgh but when I was in Cancun last year I took a bus into the city of Cancun and being a 6 foot very pale skinned man covered in tattoos I felt I was being eyed up as some kind of Brittish member of a local gang and feared I was about to be greenlit at any minute :lol:

BoJack Horseman

Willie Muir was demolished years and years ago and was in Granton, The Doo'cot was always mostly a hearts pub plenty good jambos drank in there although since it's changed to a Samuel Smiths pub its mostly empty and The Gunner is just full of old men. Appelby ran a tight ship when he had it and people were barred for the slightest thing so it wasn't actually that bad just rotten peeve.

But I would agree that Drylaw, Muirhouse and Pilton are probably a majority of Jambos. I take it this list was compiled 20 years ago Pinhead? :thumbsup:

Places I feel unsafe? Nowhere in Edinburgh but when I was in Cancun last year I took a bus into the city of Cancun and being a 6 foot very pale skinned man covered in tattoos I felt I was being eyed up as some kind of Brittish member of a local gang and feared I was about to be greenlit at any minute :lol:

I wouldn't say that. Drylaw maybe. Muirhouse is hoachin with hobos. Pilton isn't much better.

The Calders is weird now. I grew up there and it was always busy with folk out, or kids playing. Had to pass through it recently and it's like a ghost town.

Broomhouse still seems dodgy, dunno if the flats being brought down has helped. It was certainly rough as feck when I lived out at the Calders in the 70s. I saw some locus scene photographs of a murder that happened in one of the roundabout underpasses in the late 90s if memory serves - poor auld bloke got a kicking from some yobs, and one of the feral wee *******s then picked up a concrete slab and smashed him over the face and head with it, whilst he was lying knocked down, face up. :(

Not the worst murder locus photographs I ever saw in defence files mind, the ones from the Parkhead fire-axe murder in Glasgow were brutal...

Broomhouse is a sh*tehole. I unfortunately have to pick one of my kids up there from here Mum's every Saturday. Never an enjoyable experience. Good to see the boozer in Broomhouse Grove is still closed after a year or so.

I wouldn't say that. Drylaw maybe. Muirhouse is hoachin with hobos. Pilton isn't much better.

Well majority of people my age (30) and their wee/big brothers and cousins are Hearts fans. I'm assuming their fathers and uncles are also. Maybe just a bit maroon tinted specs on my part but I've grew up in all 3 places mostly Drylaw/Muirhouse.

Hideous place. At the time I worked for a bookies & was lucky enough to become manager of a wee shop along from Saracen. Very obvious drug dealer starts coming in & placing big bets. I tell the district manager that he's responsible for the vast increase in money being taken. Should I be concerned that he's obviously money laundering? The response...'is he winning?'. Inspiring leadership. Anyway, thanks to the continued patronage of Mr. D. Dealer and the increased takings I got promoted. Strange business model really.

Saracen Street and the surrounding area's of 'Ra Possil' are always unnerving if you are not a local or known. A good few years ago, we had an office up there and I was out chairing an interview panel and as it approached lunchtime, I asked one of the people who worked there, where would be the best place to go and grab something to eat. She laughed and said, just tell me what you want and I will get Tam the Caretaker to go and get it for you.

I then said that I wanted to put a bet on as well and again she replied that Tam the Caretaker would take care of it, as he was known up these parts and that someone like me walking into the bookies with a suit & a trenchcoat on would either have the locals convinced that I was either the dibble or some rich business man, ripe for a mugging!

I took her advice and went and found Tam the Caretaker who took care of my lunch and stuck my bets on for me as well.

It is some place, thats for sure, but I am told these days that its not as bad as it once was although driving through it recently I remain unconvinced.

joe.gausden

Muirhouse is probably more hobo country although most wouldn't even know where fester road was :lol:

Pilton is a mix of hobo, pretend huns and Hearts fans :lol:

And Pinhead, West Pilton Green has never been in Muirhouse :lol: It's a continuation of my street West Pilton Drive. It was aptly named West Pilton Circus previously :lol:

The Willie Muir was run by Brian Haston senior for years (his son Brian used to run the Balmoral before it burnt down). Brian was more of a rangers man although didn't go to the games.

It was then taken over by Jackie Curran.

Sawdust Caesar

I had a mate who was jumped in Albert Street. Never liked the place since and we are talking about nearly 18 years ago.

There was a report in a sunday paper, late 70's or early 80s I think, that said Albert Street was the worse street for muggings and assaults in Edinburgh. Not like that now, though.

Most cities have dodgy areas, basic fact of life there. The places I have felt most nervous were New York, LA and Moscow.

The only time in New York was my subway station in Brooklyn being closed and having to get off a couple of stops on un the middle of Bedford-Stuyvesant. It was like Hill Street Blues when I came up out the station. LA it was having to drive through South Central late at night and having to stop for petrol.

Moscow in general once you get out the tourist areas. Fecking scary atmosphere about the place.

Guest C00l K1d

There's not many places i feel unsafe tbf.

I always have my wits about me when walking home in the wee hours especially on weekends but wouldn't say i'm feeling unsafe.

Walking through parks can be a bit shady though

Captain Lithuania

I've had a wee boy that looked at the oldest 12 chuck a brick at me walking through the underpass near where the flats were. And what scares me most is the fact you can't really hit a 12 year old (and I don't mean in a malicious way, to genuinely protect yourself) anyone who is fairly strong would knock them out with a left miss, and because of the justice system you'd get hammered for it.

heartgarfunkel

There was a report in a sunday paper, late 70's or early 80s I think, that said Albert Street was the worse street for muggings and assaults in Edinburgh. Not like that now, though.

Over to our friend from the frozen north, Arctic Jambo! ;-) (I might have the wrong street though!)

And Pinhead, West Pilton Green has never been in Muirhouse :lol: It's a continuation of my street West Pilton Drive. It was aptly named West Pilton Circus previously :lol:

Used to live there, as a nipper. Mum and dad bought one when the Barratt Houses were built there.

There you go. :)

Went off strip in Las Vegas a few times,very scary,fair enough,was trying to see the game on telly,taxi driver advise me not to go off strip at 4am,still never seen the derby game,the pub did'nae have the game on.

Crown and Anchor by any chance?

Used to live there, as a nipper. Mum and dad bought one when the Barratt Houses were built there.

There you go. :)

Yeah Joe's right W Pilton Green isn't in Muirhoose and I remember it as the Circus too thumbsup.gif

Had a quick check its only been known as West Pilton Green since 1987 previously being part of the Circus as mentioned.

alwaysthereinspirit

Not unsafe but weird. Would have been in 86 or 87. Hit it off with a nice Boston girl and went back to her place. Woke up the next morning and went to take a pee and opened the blinds in the bathroom. Across the back alley was all kinds of graffitti on the walls. "Brits out, Up the Provos, IRA, Tri-Color flags" South Boston can be a wee bit strange. Tons of real and plastics running around. The plastics are the worst. Brainwashed and braindead.

HampdenHearts

I'm harder than a coffin nail so no-where tbh!

Got chased off about 30 leithers on one of the side streets connecting easter road and leith walk after chumming a bird home after being at the honeycomb(under 16s night).

ArcticJambo

Over to our friend from the frozen north, Arctic Jambo! ;-) (I might have the wrong street though!)

Haha ... nice one ... Iona Street, next one down. Last March, Stair door opens, punched straight in the face. I thought I was trying to get in my Dalment Street stair door. Err oops. :whistling: $1300 repair job that

Spent a fair bit of time in the States. Manhattan I never once felt unsafe apart from the time 6 of us were lined up against a wall by the polis after a bit of pushing and shouting with a group of septic tanks after a night out. Didn't fancy a night in the cells there!

Newark, NJ however is a different kettle of fish. You'd have to pay me serious danger money to consider working and living there.

Moved to Philadelphia and South Philly, West Philly and North Philly are definite eye-openers considering the US is apparently the richest country in the world. Drove through a fair few red lights on purpose in those areas and always left a big gap between my car and the one in front if I did have to stop. Anyone who hasn't seen it shoul;d have a look at the Louis Theroux documentary "Killadelphia" (I think) for an insight into truly scary areas. The middle of Philadelphia and the suburbs are reallly nice though.

southside1874

Living in the deepest, darkest corner of Leith, I'd sometimes be a bit wary walking back home from a night out or just walking at night in general. Not so much anymore as now know where to avoid etc. Coming back from a derby always gets me on my toes aswell. Is there certain places you don't feel safe walking about or just don't walk about at all?

As far as fear goes......the only thing to avoid is yourself. "Not so much anymore as now know where to avoid etc."

You become your biggest fear

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

I wouldn't say I feel unsafe in many places but I do always have that uneasy feeling when I'm walking home after a night out or whatever. Always find myself looking over my shoulder and listening for anything a bit more closely. Maybe that could be defined as feeling unsafe, but I've lived in the same area/house my whole life and I know that the chances of something happening are very low but I think it's something we all do, especially at night. Always stick to the main roads when it's dark, you'd never catch me walking through a park or unlit lane in the early hours.

southside1874

I wouldn't say I feel unsafe in many places but I do always have that uneasy feeling when I'm walking home after a night out or whatever. Always find myself looking over my shoulder and listening for anything a bit more closely. Maybe that could be defined as feeling unsafe, but I've lived in the same area/house my whole life and I know that the chances of something happening are very low but I think it's something we all do, especially at night. Always stick to the main roads when it's dark, you'd never catch me walking through a park or unlit lane in the early hours.

Always stick to the main roads when it's dark, you'd never catch me walking through a park or unlit lane in the early hours. Maybe that could be defined as feeling unsafe..............your call mate.

I tend not to walk down Pennywell Road at night, and wouldn't fancy going for a drink in the Ferry Boat, but those are the only places in my daily life that I'm wary about.

In reference to what some posters were saying about Calder being a ghost town, I think the same has to be said about Forrester Park these days.

For anyone who doesn't know the area, there is large field of undisturbed, well maintained grass in the centre of Forrester that is surrounded by flats. More than half the people living here would be able to see it from their windows.

When we were younger we would play one game or another in the field everyday. Whether it'd be football, rounders, manhunt or hunt the ^^^^, we'd do it for hours and spent more time in the summer outside than indoors. It created a great community as every child who lived in Forrester knew each other.

Now I never see any kids outside. I barely see anyone outside. The grass is still well-maintained but there is never anybody on it.

Adi Dassler

I reckon i've walked through an underpass at Sighthill, Broomhouse or Parkhead near enough every day for the best part of 20 odd years and never once have i seen anything untoward. I know it does happen though.

The closest i've come was walking home pissed from the Dodger one Sunday night years ago and two junkies conspiring at the end of the tunnell at Sighthill Roundabout. I punched the first one and was back home in the house before his pal even knew what happened. After that, well the game was mine.

I reckon i've walked through an underpass at Sighthill, Broomhouse or Parkhead near enough every day for the best part of 20 odd years and never once have i seen anything untoward. I know it does happen though.

The closest i've come was walking home pissed from the Dodger one Sunday night years ago and two junkies conspiring at the end of the tunnell at Sighthill Roundabout. I punched the first one and was back home in the house before his pal even knew what happened. After that, well the game was mine.

I know Adi, im the same, never really encountered much for all the times i walked hame pi shed fae the Dodger back to the Calders but its about luck too.

It seems alot of those muggings of late occurred mid afternoon when it funnily seems like a time the streets are quieter before rush hour......

I have at times diverted when i`ve saw a couple of bodies loitering and looking suss........never know now if i was being paranoid but ye dinnae take chances :)

Archived