Places you feel unsafe

SanliHearts

SanliHearts

Living in the deepest, darkest corner of Leith, I'd sometimes be a bit wary walking back home from a night out or just walking at night in general. Not so much anymore as now know where to avoid etc. Coming back from a derby always gets me on my toes aswell. Is there certain places you don't feel safe walking about or just don't walk about at all?

Will be taking more care coming home from Easter Road after getting sucker punched while going into my pocket to give someone a fag last season :lol:.

I try to make sure I stay away from any 'dodgy' areas as much as possible, last place that freaked me out a bit was Lochend/Restalrig area. Full of wee pricks trying to make a name for themselves.

SanliHearts

6726148117_63e074df0c_z.jpg

:sob:

:lol:

As scary as it is, I cannot ******* wait for the next time I walk down there

:verysmug:

The Old Tolbooth

I stayed in Kings Cross on a business trip a few years back, and that place at night is like gang central, kids as young as 10 (or they looked it) hanging about until 2am in large groups, it was quite unnerving walking past them, even on the opposite side of the road as it was clear that I wasn't from there (I wasn't out at 2am I have to add, it was around 11pm when I got in from the local boozer, which was rough too)

Pete Seeger

I don't think I've ever felt unsafe in Edinburgh. I worked in a scheme just off Maryhill road for a short time and the local chavs were reasonably intimidating when they tried to tan our vans.

I stayed in Kings Cross on a business trip a few years back, and that place at night is like gang central, kids as young as 10 (or they looked it) hanging about until 2am in large groups, it was quite unnerving walking past them, even on the opposite side of the road as it was clear that I wasn't from there (I wasn't out at 2am I have to add, it was around 11pm when I got in from the local boozer, which was rough too)

:lol: My wife used to live in Camden and her (female)friend used to get chased down the street by gangs with baseball bats. Just because she was Chinese. Oddly, I don't tend to feel freaked out in the streets of East London.

Last place I felt properly unnerved was in the centre of Cape Town in the middle of an afternoon. Empty streets, other than the beggars that won't leave you alone and the security guards(not police) on every street corner with big guns. You can't blend in in Cape Town. My watch went in my pocket with my wedding ring :lol: As soon as we'd seen the Bo-Kaap and had a quick bite to eat we were on our way back to Camps Bay.

BoJack Horseman

Is that the only time you've been in London, John?

Pennywell shopping centre

Ya big girls blouse. Most of the folk hanging about are too out of it to hurt you anyway. Plus, it's worth taking some

risks for a trip to El Mexicanos.

The Old Tolbooth

Is that the only time you've been in London, John?

Been there plenty times mate, only fled the once though :ninja:

Nowhere in Edinburgh but having lived in Leith, I was always anxious when the missus was coming home from a night out.

Places like The Kirkgate and the Muirhouse centre can seem daunting but the neds and junkies normally stick to themselves.

I walked home at new year from wester hailes cause my mate messed up ordering the taxi.

Pretty scary likes.

PsychocAndy

Ya big girls blouse. Most of the folk hanging about are too out of it to hurt you anyway. Plus, it's worth taking some

risks for a trip to El Mexicanos.

That still there? I was out last week with for a pint with my brother and his mate, and his step dad used to own, and or, manage that place in the 70's.

Stayed in London yonks ago,thought of this tune on many occasion's, usually on my way home from a night out, spot on IMO

Walking the length of Livi when I canny get a taxi has its moments to say the least :rolleyes:

Muirhouse.

Pennywell shopping centre

Nah - used to stay in Muirhoose (West Pilton Green) there is a few Jambos staying there.

Try walking into the Willie Muir (Pat Shantons pub) or Dookit (on Ferry Road) with your Hearts scarf on - mind you though anyone who does that will need to post the outcome in the Stupidity thread :whistling:

Edit: forgot to add the Gunner (on Pennywell Road) to my unsafe pubs list.

BoJack Horseman

Nah - used to stay in Muirhoose (West Pilton Green) there is a few Jambos staying there.

Try walking into the Willie Muir (Pat Shantons pub) or Dookit (on Ferry Road) with your Hearts scarf on - mind you though anyone who does that will need to post the outcome in the Stupidity thread :whistling:

Edit: forgot to add the Gunner (on Pennywell Road) to my unsafe pubs list.

Pretty sure a hearts bus used to run from the Dookit?

I get that bus every now and then. Never said any trouble going for a pint with my scarf on before bus leaves.

Nowhere in Edinburgh but having lived in Leith, I was always anxious when the missus was coming home from a night out.

To be honest I actually feel safer walking home after a night out than I do during the day in leith!

When I used to go for a slurp in the Dell Inn/Tickled Trout many moons ago, I was my own worst enemy by just having to sink that one more pint!.....I'd often miss the last bus back to the Calder Terminus at weekends and sometimes jump on the last bus to Wester Hailes Centre if there were nae taxis.......

funnily, it was a Sunday night that was more unnerving......the streets were empty, there was usually a gale blowing , and walking (or nashing!) down from Wester Hailes Centre and through the Calders was a Non contact run the gauntlet! I twitched at every sound....yer mind plays havoc....haha.

When I used to go for a slurp in the Dell Inn/Tickled Trout many moons ago, I was my own worst enemy by just having to sink that one more pint!.....I'd often miss the last bus back to the Calder Terminus at weekends and sometimes jump on the last bus to Wester Hailes Centre if there were nae taxis.......

funnily, it was a Sunday night that was more unnerving......the streets were empty, there was usually a gale blowing , and walking (or nashing!) down from Wester Hailes Centre and through the Calders was a Non contact run the gauntlet! I twitched at every sound....yer mind plays havoc....haha.

The Calders is weird now. I grew up there and it was always busy with folk out, or kids playing. Had to pass through it recently and it's like a ghost town.

Broomhouse still seems dodgy, dunno if the flats being brought down has helped. It was certainly rough as feck when I lived out at the Calders in the 70s. I saw some locus scene photographs of a murder that happened in one of the roundabout underpasses in the late 90s if memory serves - poor auld bloke got a kicking from some yobs, and one of the feral wee *******s then picked up a concrete slab and smashed him over the face and head with it, whilst he was lying knocked down, face up. :(

Not the worst murder locus photographs I ever saw in defence files mind, the ones from the Parkhead fire-axe murder in Glasgow were brutal...

Walter Payton

I walked home at new year from wester hailes cause my mate messed up ordering the taxi.

Pretty scary likes.

Just saw this :lol:

What Craig means to say is after his mate kindly called a taxi for him (The chances of the taxi-operator understanding that mumbling drunken arsehole of a man were very slim), Craig stumbled down the stairs to find a taxi waiting for him.

What Craig probably didn't tell his wife was that, due to the effect of the beer goggles which he normally acquires after 2 or more pints and had on at the time, he spotted Big Bertha coming out her pals place and thought he'd "share the cab" with her. BB wasn't up for that and left him standing, with a walk back to Longstone ahead of him.

The 15 minute walk probably took him days, the state he was in...

When I first started going the see the bursd in Niddrie I felt uneasy all the time. Especially because I used to walk about mostly when it was very late. Been here that long now though I don't mind it. Still a holocaust of a place though. Hate it.

Yeah? Cool. Thought it was a hibby hang out - only been in the once and some of the looks I got were just too evil to be from Jambos laugh.gif

I had a mate who was jumped in Albert Street. Never liked the place since and we are talking about nearly 18 years ago.

Dean Winchester

Been there plenty times mate, only fled the once though :ninja:

See some nice luxury cars though?

normal_Img_3910.jpg

When I went to America with my mate years ago, we wanted to go to a firing range to shoot a gun. We thought we'd found one in LA and got a taxi there.

Taxi drivers English wasn't great, so when we were trying to ask him for directions to one place, we toiled to get our request across. So, we ended up getting dropped off at a pretty rough area where folk were selling stuff on the kerb in some sort of kerbside market. We were the only white guys in the area and looked like tourists, my mate Col looks like a German tourist most of the time, FFS! So, instantly feeling out of place, we went looking for the next taxi possible to get us out of there.

Never did get to shoot a gun. :(

Mid you its been that long could be getting mixed up with the Ferry Boat on Ferry Road iirc

SanliHearts

When I first started going the see the bursd in Niddrie I felt uneasy all the time. Especially because I used to walk about mostly when it was very late. Been here that long now though I don't mind it. Still a holocaust of a place though. Hate it.

Quite the same for me. My missus lived in Magdalene and the first few times I went to visit I was threatened... Ended up living there 3 years :wow:

Quite the same for me. My missus lived in Magdalene and the first few times I went to visit I was threatened... Ended up living there 3 years :wow:

Magdalene is a bit of a dodgy place sometimes like. I always thought it sounded quite posh, until I went through it on a Saturday night... :unsure:

SanliHearts

Magdalene is a bit of a dodgy place sometimes like. I always thought it sounded quite posh, until I went through it on a Saturday night... :unsure:

There's nice parts but mainly its an absolute hovel

Couldn't beat the view out my window though

230664_1070301525350_2631_n.jpg

Just saw this. They did, I went on their bus a few times about '94ish. As I recall I went to a cup tie at McDiarmid Park with them.

Just saw this :lol:

What Craig means to say is after his mate kindly called a taxi for him (The chances of the taxi-operator understanding that mumbling drunken arsehole of a man were very slim), Craig stumbled down the stairs to find a taxi waiting for him.

What Craig probably didn't tell his wife was that, due to the effect of the beer goggles which he normally acquires after 2 or more pints and had on at the time, he spotted Big Bertha coming out her pals place and thought he'd "share the cab" with her. BB wasn't up for that and left him standing, with a walk back to Longstone ahead of him.

The 15 minute walk probably took him days, the state he was in...

Bertha actually climbed in my cab before I could do anything about it due to your procrastination over the taxi call.

Was ****in freezin anaw.

:muggy:

Haha, aye it fits in well with this side of the city.

Craig Gordons Gloves

Dundee.

When i was at uni there, some wee ******* pulled a samurai sword on me when i was staggering home, not alone i may add, but with 3 mates. All 4 of us kind of froze as this sword was waved close to my head. Fortunately, the wee shite was obviously as scared as us and nothing much happened. I worked an old mans boozer there for a year while in my last year and some of the stuff that i saw out in the street didn't make my walk home to my flat that great. Funnily enough, only time i've had a doing has been in Edinburgh, just off Dalkeith Rd. Although some **** tried to slash my face with a ripped can of irn bru in Glasgow, fortunately he hit my specs and i only got a scratch.

Walked about NYC many a time and never felt safer, including the subway at 3am.

skinnybob72

Surely that's a pic from East Berlin, circa 1960's?

J Cheever Loophole

You can tell the upper flats with Grass plants in their loft due to the lack of snow on the roofs.Just saying.whistling.gif

Being stuck on the wrong Underground train (Express) going into Harlem was pretty scary - especially when we were the only white folks in our carriage

Hugh Phamism

Spent time in most major US cities and have walked the streets late at night without any problems.

However, once in Baltimore, I was walking back from Fells Point area to the city centre and got little lost. Ended up on the mean streets of an area which was straight out of 'The Wire'

Got a little freaked and jumped on bus that took me back towards Fells Point. I got off at a Hampton Inn and got the reception to call me a cab. The boy on the desk said I was lucky not have been " messed over".

I had to sink a few large ones when I got back to base to calm my nerves.

Hasn't put me off from wandering and exploring whenever I get the chance though.

HP

The centre of Naples at night. I've been there a few times and there is an eery silence about the place when darkness falls that you don't really experience in any other major Italian city.

To be fair its a city where you have to keep your wits about you at all hours though.

Spent time in most major US cities and have walked the streets late at night without any problems.

However, once in Baltimore, I was walking back from Fells Point area to the city centre and got little lost. Ended up on the mean streets of an area which was straight out of 'The Wire'

Got a little freaked and jumped on bus that took me back towards Fells Point. I got off at a Hampton Inn and got the reception to call me a cab. The boy on the desk said I was lucky not have been " messed over".

I had to sink a few large ones when I got back to base to calm my nerves.

Hasn't put me off from wandering and exploring whenever I get the chance though.

HP

I love exploring off the "tourist trail" when I'm away but it can be so easy to end up in the wrong place. We walked about 25 blocks east of the french quarter in New Orleans (was mid afternoon) and couldn't find the bar we were looking for. We stumbled into a sports for a beer and the barman and locals were really taken aback that two tourists had made it out there :lol: On their advice we headed back before dark after our 2nd beer. The reckoned if we'd walked 5 more blocks we'd have had a pretty real chance of getting shot.

For what it's worth, these guys watch EPL and SPL on satellite so if anyones ever stuck there for a big match I'm sure I could remember the name of the place.

Archived