Eerie: inside Tynecastle Stadium, the morning after Derby Day.

Buffalo Bill

Dear all,

A brisk Sunday morning, and most people were just thinking about reaching for that Alka Seltser when Sgt Rock and I were standing outside Tynecastle?s Main Stand. The reason for us being there was that we?d arranged with Hearts to let us in to take some photos of the ground (and no, I wasn?t posing nude for ?European Trucker? magazine).

As we were led in through the gates, underneath the surveillance box and out on to the pitch side, something hit me as my eyes soaked up the stadium. Even after all these years, I still get that same rush of excitement walking into Tynecastle, just as I did when I was eight years old. Despite those home performances over Christmas, our hallowed stadium still gave me goose bumps. An empty Tynecastle can do that.

What a mess left over though. The Main Stand side track was strewn with litter, and several plastic bags were ?covering every blade of grass?. Even the chips and curry sauce carton that I carefully stored underneath my seat in Section B was still there. But not for long. Surprisingly, Hearts now employ a team of ?domestic operatives? to get rid of the trash. I thought it would be the young team? What was good for Robbo and MacKay is surely good enough for Copil and Kostadinov?

A post derby Tynecastle also shows off some of its deeper scars. The pitch was badly cut up in some areas, and green coloured sand keeps a dignified look for the goal mouths. But it was the Main Stand that was really showing its age. Crumbling terracing is visible from underneath seated re-fits, and moss is growing everywhere. But being down by the pitch left me thinking little of the aesthetically unpleasing. An empty Tynecastle forced me to imagine the sheer pressure the fans send down to the players. There is no hiding place at all. It must be murder to be on the wrong side of our fans here. And like wise, I could only dream of the glory; the feeling of scoring a goal here, reeling away to take to acclaim of the faithful, seeing the whites of their eyes.

But most of all, an empty Tynecastle allowed me time to reflect on the love that I have for this club; even when I fell out of love for the current lot who have represented it so poorly. I?m glad I went, because I was able to remind myself that it has still all been worth it and it will come good again. If you look hard enough, Tynecastle empty, is a thing of beauty; alone only with the memories and the imagination.

Buffalo Bill

As we were led in through the gates, underneath the surveillance box and out on to the pitch side, something hit me as my eyes soaked up the stadium. Even after all these years, I still get that same rush of excitement walking into Tynecastle, just as I did when I was eight years old. Despite those home performances over Christmas, our hallowed stadium still gave me goose bumps. An empty Tynecastle can do that.

i know exactly what you mean.

i used to short cut through the gorgie road stand to the ticket office at lunch times (before they started closing it off) - used to pop through and sit for a few mins and look at the ground.

it's one of those things - you just love the place.

one of my close mates was a Man U fan, sadly he's know longer with us, but if i can share two of my fondest memories.

one was showing him the ground one lunchtime - he couldn't believe we could sneak in and enjoyed just looking at the place as it was (for lack of a better phrase) resting.

the other real good memory was when we went see a game against Motherwell (think it was boxing day) a few years ago. couldn't get tickets other than 3 or so from rows from the front of Wheatfield. he just loved the fact that he could smell the grass, and the players were so close to him.

tynecastle will hopefully continue to create memories like that for generations.

Thank you all. Not the most earth shattering discolsure ever to feature on Kickback, but just one I felt that was worth sharing.

Buffalo Bill

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Great post BB.

Remember just walking into an empty Tynecastle with my mate one afternoon and getting a few shots in on the pitch.

Magic!

What are the photos about and will we get to see them?

Dave, you're an inquisitive fellow!

They?re for a website Sgt Rock and me are building and yes you?ll get to see them soon.

Buffalo Bill

They?re for a website Sgt Rock and me are building and yes you?ll get to see them soon.

Buffalo Bill

Did you manage to get one of the away dressing room?

I've never seen it but have heard it is tiny!

Did you manage to get one of the away dressing room?

I've never seen it but have heard it is tiny!

No, but I believe there is detailed photogaphy being taken of the Main Stand.

Buffalo Bill

Buffalo Bill

I'm intrigued and eager to see the results.... ;)

Great post BB.

I remember being shown around the main stand as a spotty teen by John Frame. It was part of a project for one of those weird 4th year classes that you got. It was a personal tour. Just me & my mate & John. Every room I went into, I felt goosbumps as I soaked it all up. Getting out onto the pitch at that age was a big thing. I also remember getting my book signed by Joe Jordan, Yogi and big Peas & Gravy. For a wee part of time, you felt like you were a part of it all.

Fantastic it was & further cemented my unhealthy obsession with all things Hearts.

Today I sometimes cut through Gorgie on my way to work at 4.30am, just to glance at the ground as I pass in my van. It's all kinda sad. Yet, I am unashamed of my obsession.

Dear all,

A brisk Sunday morning, and most people were just thinking about reaching for that Alka Seltser when Sgt Rock and I were standing outside Tynecastle?s Main Stand. The reason for us being there was that we?d arranged with Hearts to let us in to take some photos of the ground (and no, I wasn?t posing nude for ?European Trucker? magazine).

What a mess left over though. The Main Stand side track was strewn with litter, and several plastic bags were ?covering every blade of grass?. Even the chips and curry sauce carton that I carefully stored underneath my seat in Section B was still there. But not for long. Surprisingly, Hearts now employ a team of ?domestic operatives? to get rid of the trash. I thought it would be the young team? What was good for Robbo and MacKay is surely good enough for Copil and Kostadinov?

A post derby Tynecastle also shows off some of its deeper scars. The pitch was badly cut up in some areas, and green coloured sand keeps a dignified look for the goal mouths. But it was the Main Stand that was really showing its age. Crumbling terracing is visible from underneath seated re-fits, and moss is growing everywhere. But being down by the pitch left me thinking little of the aesthetically unpleasing. An empty Tynecastle forced me to imagine the sheer pressure the fans send down to the players. There is no hiding place at all. It must be murder to be on the wrong side of our fans here. And like wise, I could only dream of the glory; the feeling of scoring a goal here, reeling away to take to acclaim of the faithful, seeing the whites of their eyes.

But most of all, an empty Tynecastle allowed me time to reflect on the love that I have for this club; even when I fell out of love for the current lot who have represented it so poorly. I?m glad I went, because I was able to remind myself that it has still all been worth it and it will come good again. If you look hard enough, Tynecastle empty, is a thing of beauty; alone only with the memories and the imagination.

Buffalo Bill

Hobo.

Thank you for my continued interest in your posts.

hmmm smells like your up to something BB

Well myself and Sgt Rock have been working on a small project of late and we needed some photos of Tynecastle.

It's just a pet project, nothing major.

Buffalo Bill

Hobo.

Thank you for my continued interest in your posts.

:dribble::dribble::dribble:

Buffalo Bill

Well myself and Sgt Rock have been working on a small project of late and we needed some photos of Tynecastle.

It's just a pet project, nothing major.

Buffalo Bill

I think this is a subliminal XTC thread....Sgt Rock and now Generals and Majors. :P

With reference to the away dressing room, i was once taken on a tour of tynie a few years back and the away dressing room IS tiny. There is about 3 showers and not even enough space for all the away players to sit down. When i was there the middle of the floor was taken up by a treatment table leaving about 1-2ft either side before you met the basic wooden benches to sit on. Total dive, but at least the hibees would be used to it!

...I remember being shown around the main stand as a spotty teen by John Frame. It was part of a project for one of those weird 4th year classes that you got....

The mad barstward never showed me round when he taught me in first year!

With reference to the away dressing room, i was once taken on a tour of tynie a few years back and the away dressing room IS tiny. There is about 3 showers and not even enough space for all the away players to sit down. When i was there the middle of the floor was taken up by a treatment table leaving about 1-2ft either side before you met the basic wooden benches to sit on. Total dive, but at least the hibees would be used to it!

Brilliant!

That's what away dressing rooms should be like!

Welcome to hell!

Any chance of posting some of the photos Andy?

You'll hopefully see them next week, mate.

Buffalo Bill

I've had a bath in the home dressing room sometime around 1985.

For a boy from Saughton Mains, that was quite a big event!

Buffalo Bill

I've had a bath in the home dressing room sometime around 1985.

For a boy from Saughton Mains, that was quite a big event!

Buffalo Bill

Having a bath or being in the home dressing room? :whistling:

I think this is a subliminal XTC thread....Sgt Rock and now Generals and Majors. :P

Nah, we were only making plans for Nigel.... I mean Andrew...

Having a bath or being in the home dressing room? :whistling:

Oh I meant the bath!

Wasn't that bothered about where I had it!

Buffalo Bill

As long as his senses were working overtime......ok I'll stop!! :dribble:

Every time i went to the shop or ticket office i always went for a look.Loved being in there on my own... Why did they block it off?

i agree there is nothing better than spending 5 -10 mins on your own in the empty stadium just looking round the place.

I can still remember my 1st time goin into tynecastle, walking up the steps into the old panini family enclosure and the lush green grass on the pitch, all those red and yellow seats, i love the place. I still get the same buzz every home game walking up the slope in section T and being confronted with the pitch and the wheatfield stand, really holds a special place in my heart.

I was married there in 2005 and when i die i hope my ashes will be scattered there.

chester copperpot

Tell us about the last time you were in an empty tynecastle BB.

If my memory serves me right you were chucked out for playing imaginary football on the pitch.

If BB didnt put his manhood between his legs and dance around naked in the centre circle i have to say i'd be very disappointed.

good post though.

ArmiyaRomanova

Phew, I thought for a moment there......

i know exactly what you mean.

i used to short cut through the gorgie road stand to the ticket office at lunch times (before they started closing it off) - used to pop through and sit for a few mins and look at the ground.

it's one of those things - you just love the place.

one of my close mates was a Man U fan, sadly he's know longer with us, but if i can share two of my fondest memories.

one was showing him the ground one lunchtime - he couldn't believe we could sneak in and enjoyed just looking at the place as it was (for lack of a better phrase) resting.

the other real good memory was when we went see a game against Motherwell (think it was boxing day) a few years ago. couldn't get tickets other than 3 or so from rows from the front of Wheatfield. he just loved the fact that he could smell the grass, and the players were so close to him.

tynecastle will hopefully continue to create memories like that for generations.

Gutted they closed it off.

I always remember going up on a couple of fridays just to go to the shop then have a gander into the stadium. The calm before the storm.

Sub4TiddlerMurray
Dear all,

Buffalo Bill

:food-smiley-004: Respect BB, one of the best posts I've read on JKB!

Tell us about the last time you were in an empty tynecastle BB.

If my memory serves me right you were chucked out for playing imaginary football on the pitch.

I had a kebab in the commentary box in 1998.

Buffalo Bill

If BB didnt put his manhood between his legs and dance around naked in the centre circle i have to say i'd be very disappointed.

good post though.

That indeed, would be precious.

silence_lambs_06.jpg

Buffalo Bill

great post

its amazing how much a football club means to people, even though the main stand is now crumbling its a great stadium.

Ahhhh......memories :)

Thanks to Football Aid, Mrs Boof and me turning 40 (a few years back) I HAVE lived the dream.

Been in the away changing room - as a player (yup, it's tiny). Followed a damn-near starkers Dave MacPherson into the home one to get me shirt signed.

Nutmegged said MacPherson.

Got a - well, I hesitate to say roar, more like a loud murmur - of approval from the crowd that was well into double figures for a particularly stylish dummy.

Scored in the school end (only in the warm-up, but I was definitely gonna score there somehow!!) and celebrated in front of the Shed - well, it was still there when I closed my eyes.

Had a penalty saved in the shoot out :(

Nelly Terraces

I was off an Friday, so went down Gorgie to get my hair skelped. On the way back home I thought 'sod it, I'll nip into the ground and have a wee look' so duly went in round the side of the shop. Just stood there a couple've mins taking it in, the slilence, as BB has said is eerie, but gives you a little tingle. I just thought to myself 'It's quiet now, but this time tomorrow this place will be f-ing rocking'.

I wasn't wrong.

Proud to be a Hearts man, then, now, FOREVER.

Dear all,

Buffalo Bill

I love this post. Tynecastle is a magical place both full and empty. I can only lament that the current regime have provided me with no reason to frequent the hallowed ground that is part of my heritage.

However, given the recent concession by the much maligned leader about employing an autonomous manager I hope that he for once stands by this undertaking and by virtue of that, my return to theatre of dreams is imminent!

I agree with op. Still get the goosebumps when i walk up the enclosure steps, every home match .Tynecastle is a wonderful place, with wonderful memories. I have often sat in it empty on a wee jaunt to the shop, or ticket office. Remembering some of my first matches , been taken there with my Dad, 44 000 against Celtic in 1972, Loco Leipzig 1976, Dumbarton 2.5 81(:o) Hibs..... to many to mention;)

And to think if it was not for mr Romanov, Pieman would have had it brought to rubble.

Long live Tynie.

AS always Bill, well thught out and very well written.

I was brought up in Smithfield Street in the 60's and even then, I used to sneak in via Gerrards the Builders just to take in an empty Tynecastle Park.

Loved the ambience of the place. Always have, always will I guess.

Dear all,

Buffalo Bill

Good post , and with plenty emotion in it.Well done B.B. :thumb:

Dear all,

Buffalo Bill

You have the soul of a poet Bill!!!

Just read your OP this morning and it was a good way to start a Monday (Monday's are always 'heavy' days for preachers after the emotional draining of a Sunday).

Thanks!

Aw Bill, don't go getting me all emotional when I've only just convinced myself to stop reading Hearts related things and start doing some work. Argh. :P

Lovely post though, and it's so true. I was in there one evening and it had just gone dark, it was so eerie to be sitting there in almost complete silence. To say it's an atmospheric old place is the understatement of the century. I'm not as poetic as you so I can't put it into words that would do it justice, but I bet that anyone else who has done the same would know exactly what I mean! Everything that has happened, all the passion and the emotion, misery and euphoria that has been contained there...it leaves something behind and boy-oh-boy, don't you know it when you sit there. Seriously intense.

Archived