Eerie: inside Tynecastle Stadium, the morning after Derby Day.

Buffalo Bill

Goosebumps every time I have stood/sat in tynie since 81/82.

Fecking love the place.

Great post BB

edit- Not to mention the old brewery smell...

HAMILTON HEARTS
Goosebumps every time I have stood/sat in tynie since 81/82.

Fecking love the place.

Great post BB

edit- Not to mention the old brewery smell...

THE BREWERY SMELL AHH

Dougie Masterton
Dear all,

A brisk Sunday morning, and most people were just thinking about reaching for that Alka Seltser when Sgt Rock and I were standing outside Tynecastle?s Main Stand. The reason for us being there was that we?d arranged with Hearts to let us in to take some photos of the ground (and no, I wasn?t posing nude for ?European Trucker? magazine).

As we were led in through the gates, underneath the surveillance box and out on to the pitch side, something hit me as my eyes soaked up the stadium. Even after all these years, I still get that same rush of excitement walking into Tynecastle, just as I did when I was eight years old. Despite those home performances over Christmas, our hallowed stadium still gave me goose bumps. An empty Tynecastle can do that.

What a mess left over though. The Main Stand side track was strewn with litter, and several plastic bags were ?covering every blade of grass?. Even the chips and curry sauce carton that I carefully stored underneath my seat in Section B was still there. But not for long. Surprisingly, Hearts now employ a team of ?domestic operatives? to get rid of the trash. I thought it would be the young team? What was good for Robbo and MacKay is surely good enough for Copil and Kostadinov?

A post derby Tynecastle also shows off some of its deeper scars. The pitch was badly cut up in some areas, and green coloured sand keeps a dignified look for the goal mouths. But it was the Main Stand that was really showing its age. Crumbling terracing is visible from underneath seated re-fits, and moss is growing everywhere. But being down by the pitch left me thinking little of the aesthetically unpleasing. An empty Tynecastle forced me to imagine the sheer pressure the fans send down to the players. There is no hiding place at all. It must be murder to be on the wrong side of our fans here. And like wise, I could only dream of the glory; the feeling of scoring a goal here, reeling away to take to acclaim of the faithful, seeing the whites of their eyes.

But most of all, an empty Tynecastle allowed me time to reflect on the love that I have for this club; even when I fell out of love for the current lot who have represented it so poorly. I?m glad I went, because I was able to remind myself that it has still all been worth it and it will come good again. If you look hard enough, Tynecastle empty, is a thing of beauty; alone only with the memories and the imagination.

Buffalo Bill

Nice story mate, but if memory serves me correctly didn't you want to move to Murrayfield?

Nice story mate, but if memory serves me correctly didn't you want to move to Murrayfield?

Theres always one :glare:

What I said was (in 2004) that if Hearts were to face moving to Murrayfield or die, then we should move to Murrayfield.

I always wanted Hearts to stay at Tynecastle, but I also said if we move to Murrayfield then I would be there.

Some folk said they'd never set foot inside Murrayfield. I wasn't one of them.

Judge me how you wish.

Buffalo Bill

Theres always one :glare:

To be fair, I think anyone who wasn't a disciple was probably seen as an enemy.

We're all allowed a personal opinion, an if Dougie has anything else to ask, I'd appreciate it if he contacts me via PM rather than ask me on a public forum.

Buffalo Bill

Archived