You're top 3 BRITISH actors

BigMDV

Loads to choose from, but who's had the biggest impact on uk cinema?

Michael Caine

John Gielgud

Malcolm McDowell

you're asking two different questions tho, top 3 british actors might not have had the biggest impact on UK cinema, even biggest impact is kinda ambiguous, are we going on skill? box office appeal? number of good films made??

BoJack Horseman

No I'm not.

He was talking to me.

Agreed the question is ambiguous. Of all time? Present day?

ToadKiller Dog

Depends on Iconic or ability .

Iconic

for me

Connery

Caine

Chaplin

Could add loads more such as Olly Reed, Richard Burton

Ability

is harder

Alec Guinness

Richard Harris

John Geilgud again could add loads more some from aboves list Albert Finney ,Hopkins ,patrick stewart

not putting in TV stars in this list but Ronnie Barker , David Jason

Gary Oldman

Tim Roth

Danny Dyer

Nah Anthony Hopkins or Richard Burton

I like Ray Winstone... theres no accounting for taste..

However i cant stand Christian Bale and Ben Kingsley..

Therefore i would go for

Kaiser Sauzee (is he British)

Anthony Hopkins

Ray Winstone

Gary Oldman

Tim Roth

Danny Dyer

Nah Anthony Hopkins or Richard Burton

Tim Roth, I like him in Lie to Me..

In that Scottish film he was terrible.. I think it was Rob Roy

you're asking two different questions tho, top 3 british actors might not have had the biggest impact on UK cinema, even biggest impact is kinda ambiguous, are we going on skill? box office appeal? number of good films made??

good point, in the same way that Hammer ran the horror movies, Rosemarys baby and the Exorcist changed that forever.

Actors that are iconic enough, their screen presence changes how you view a film. Has the helped? :unsure:

Laurence Olivier.....transformed a formidable live theatre career into a succesful movie career. His presence made what were sometimes poor movies popular. An outstanding actor.

Alec Guiness........to some extent just the volume of movies he starred in made him an international star, his ability to become the character he was portraying, made some of his less good movies watchable.

Sean Connery........although it is almost sinful to name him with the former two brilliant actors, his James Bond movies completely changed the whole British movie culture. He became iconic and the whole industry changed as a result.

British movies generally were in the earlier days, 40's early 50's, were almost laughable. The war movies were excellent, although generally propagandaised, the crime movies always featured detectives in fedoras and dirty trench coats. The final scenes always involved a foot chase through wet rainy alleys. They now make some excellent movies and have excellent actors, many I would say who have learned their craft on TV series etc.

Bert Le Clos

Daniel Day-Lewis

Ben Kingsley

John Hurt

Lots of good shouts on this thread; Reed, Hopkins, Caine, and Oldman. Hardy and Bale will also go on to be considered great I reckon. If you go back far enough you have to consider the likes of Olivier and O'Toole.

Ian McKellan and Kenneth Brannagh almost made my top 3. Tim Roth who's also been mentioned is very under-rated.

Danny Dyer can GTF. As can Sean Connery.

BoJack Horseman

Daniel Day-Lewis

I'd squeeze Hopkins out of my list for him, totally forgot.

Oldman

Day-Lewis

McKellen

I like Ray Winstone... theres no accounting for taste..

However i cant stand Christian Bale and Ben Kingsley..

Therefore i would go for

Kaiser Sauzee (is he British)

Anthony Hopkins

Ray Winstone

Do you mean Kevin Spacey? He's American. But the guy that played 'Kobayashi' was English: Pete Postlethwaite. Died recently, I think.

rossthejambo

Throw in a mention for John Hurt, had forgotten all about Pete Postlethwaite as well.

Alistair Sim

Peter Sellers

Donald Pleasence

Maybe not as technically gifted as some already mentioned (except Alistair Sim of course) but I would much rather watch a poor film with any of these three actors in it than anything with Michael Caine. Comes down to personal preference I suppose and I just can't stand that man. Having said that, I really liked him in Stella Street!

in no particular order:

richard burton

richard attenborough

john mills

alec guinness

john gielgud

michael caine

anthony hopkins

laurence olivier

anthony quayle

and some others.

My favourite three are Richard Burton, Michael Caine and Ray Winstone although Richard Burton wins by a long long way.

Gregory House M.D.

It took 7 posts before someone mentioned Gary Oldman. :vrface:

Gregory House M.D.

Gary Oldman

Anthony Hopkins

Michael Caine

Just outside the list would be Rickman & Christian Bale.

Chris Benoit

Do you mean Kevin Spacey? He's American. But the guy that played 'Kobayashi' was English: Pete Postlethwaite. Died recently, I think.

I'd go for him, Gary Oldman and Tim Roth as my favourites, can't think of much they've been in they haven't been really good in (even if the film wasn't)

Gregory House M.D.

Tom Hardy is quite good as well actually.

Depends on Iconic or ability .

Iconic

for me

Connery

Caine

Chaplin

Could add loads more such as Olly Reed, Richard Burton

Ability

is harder

Alec Guinness

Richard Harris

John Geilgud again could add loads more some from aboves list Albert Finney ,Hopkins ,patrick stewart

not putting in TV stars in this list but Ronnie Barker , David Jason

Pretty much spot on although never saw enough of Chaplin to add him - also missing Jeremy Irons & Ralph Fiennes, oh and quite simply Dame Helen Mirren for actress.

I think he means the Irish actor Gabriel Byrne.

I P Knightley

Would the mods please correct the thread title? It pains me to be contributing to the thread as it may appear to some that I'm condoning the butchering of the mother tongue of the actors we praise.

Anyway (and assuming that we're sticking with actors in films, rather than stage actors):

Anthony Hopkins gets a big vote from me, as does Gary Oldman.

Many others already mentioned but none has yet mentioned Stan Laurel, a pioneer of cinema and, whilst his acting won't seem anything special to folk who've been spoiled by stuff from the subsequent 80-90 years, without him and his like, we wouldn't have had half the stuff we appreciate from others mentioned so far.

Johanes de Silentio

Timothy Spall

Pete Postlethwaite

I was just about to say Tim Spall - tremendous in stuff like Secrets and Lies.

I like Brian Cox as well.

Hopkins was the first name I thought of.

Also Ben Kingsley.

Johanes de Silentio

1. Kenneth Branagh

2. Michael Sheen

3. David Tennant

Michael Sheen is a tremendous shout.

Also Alastair Sim and Terry Thomas.

Archived