Atheism

Juan Rom?n Riquelme

Juan Rom?n Riquelme

Anyone else think that 'The Atheist Movement' is even more annoying than religious groups?

I don't believe in God, but I'd rather not be identified with Atheism because of obnoxious pricks like Dawkins or Cristopher Hitchins or the general pesudo-church of Atheists, who have to muddy up every conversation with their arrogant self-superior drivel.

Seems to have really gathered some steam in the last decade and its a bit shit.

Anyone else think that 'The Atheist Movement' is even more annoying than religious groups?

I don't believe in God, but I'd rather not be identified with Atheism because of obnoxious pricks like Dawkins or Cristopher Hitchins or the general pesudo-church of Atheists, who have to muddy up every conversation with their arrogant self-superior drivel.

I've good news for you; Christopher Hitchens is highly unlikely to be saying anything to piss you off in the future.

All's well that ends well, I guess.

Juan Rom?n Riquelme

Try praying.

Said I don't believe in God quite clearly in the first post, mate.

Anyone who arrogantly forces their views on others is extreemly annoying.

If it's done with reasonableness and respect then it sounds more palateable and leads to a more productive conversation.

I like discussions on religion. It sort of interests me but at the moment isn't really something I'd get into.

I disagree with your point though. I don't think atheists push the matter all that much whereas the fundamentalist religionists (the really horrible annoying types) are pro active everywhere.

Said I don't believe in God quite clearly in the first post, mate.

No fella it wasn't even aimed at you.

It's just something I say whenever someone brings god up.

Praying is without doubt the world's biggest facepalm and I like to take the piss out of it.

Big sign on a church by my flat saying it. It's hilarious.

Yeah I think you will find Africa have been doing it for years and yup you guessed it, still getting shat on.

I don't force my (atheist) views on anyone, but I don't really see any organised movement - or "militant atheism" as Baroness Warsi tried to claim a few months ago. Often it feels like the church/a religion looking for an enemy and almost inventing one.

Atheists are becoming more vocal, but certainly it's understandable given the provocation that can be chucked at them by some of the more fanatical religious types. In the states, it's still very difficult to get elected if you aren't religious, which is a terrible indictment on a country with separation of state and religion supposedly at it's core beliefs.

It's not atheism that annoys you.

It's the ****ing halfwits that won't shut up about it that annoy you.

Can anyone give an example of an extremist atheist viewpoint?

No but I can give you plenty of rational ones.

Guest C00l K1d

No but I can give you plenty of rational ones.

:lol: :lol:

I wouldn't say its an extremist view but ''athiests'' who wont accept people do believe in other things than what they do, do my heed in.

I don't believe in god myself likes, but as long as they're no hurting anyone people can believe what they want.

What really fascinates me is how religion is so strong in the 21st century..

The only examples of 'extreme Atheism' I can think of are extreme leftist governments that effictively banned religion. Thankfully those are largely a thing of the past.

I don't see any Atheists these days saying that people shouldn't be allowed to believe in whatever they want to, simply that these beliefs shouuldn't be forced on non-believers. Find it hard to disagree with that TBH.

southside1874

I just started reading a book called Jerusalem and it's giving me a different view on the whole western religion and it's beginnings. Religion was started and gave its followers faith by acts that are equal to Hearts pumping Hibs 5-1 in a Scottish Cup final. If Hibs had won that final they would have called it divine intervention. It would be ludicrous for me not to throw down the throats of the great Hibby believers the fact that my Jambo god was mightier that day.

We only hear about the time that Moses led the Jews from Egypt to their new home. We never hear about the times someone else tried the same thing but failed and the escapees got rounded up and brought back to Egypt.

What happened 2000 to 3000 years ago shouldn't have any bearing on present life. It does because of events and actions of the Roman Empire that managed to wipe out all "religions" practiced throughout their empire and impose their way with the exception of the Jews. When they realised that their way was falling apart they inherited and adapted some of that religion and enforced these new beliefs on us while retaining power. When the arabs realised the power that could be had by having everyone believe in the same thing then they introduced their slant on the jewish religion and called it islam.

There are no miracles. They are made up to make the whole thing more worthy of idol worship. Hibs not winning the cup for over 100 years is no miracle. It's because they have a weegie namesake that wants to sook up their fans. All that Dawkins is saying is that you can pray all you want but it ain't really making much difference to actual events today.

I don't see any Atheists these days saying that people shouldn't be allowed to believe in whatever they want to, simply that these beliefs shouuldn't be forced on non-believers. Find it hard to disagree with that TBH.

In all honesty you can't have seen many of these threads then, man.

There's two chaps I can think of right off the bat who're GOD-AWFUL (see what I did there, eh? EH?) for doing just that.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

The only examples of 'extreme Atheism' I can think of are extreme leftist governments that effictively banned religion. Thankfully those are largely a thing of the past.

Go back and read a few of the religion threads on here.

A few of the village idiots cannae get enough of 'extreme atheism' (if we are defining that by your second sentence).

southside1874

:lol: :lol:

I wouldn't say its an extremist view but ''athiests'' who wont accept people do believe in other things than what they do, do my heed in.

I don't believe in god myself likes, but as long as they're no hurting anyone people can believe what they want.

What really fascinates me is how religion is so strong in the 21st century..

Religion isn't strong though. Folk do things in the name of religion but don't practice that religion. They take from that religion to suit their needs because that is all they know to give them purpose and gain support.

Snake Plissken

A religious debate is an exercise in futility.

Both sides have entirely different reasons for believing what they do and neither side has a chance of convincing the other. Personally, I find an abrasive, intellectually-stunted atheist even more annoying than a stupid religious person. I've no problem with a rational atheist, I've no problem with a reasonable religious person (and there are plenty of those, believe it or not) it's idiots on both sides that I find insufferable.

In all honesty you can't have seen many of these threads then, man.

There's two chaps I can think of right off the bat who're GOD-AWFUL (see what I did there, eh? EH?) for doing just that.

Go back and read a few of the religion threads on here.

A few of the village idiots cannae get enough of 'extreme atheism' (if we are defining that by your second sentence).

Can't really be bothered looking back but if they think people shouldn't be entitled to believe what they want then they're every bit as bad as the religions they're arguing against :down:

Personally I cannae be fecked with preachy people of any persuasion, so don't associate with them.

Guest C00l K1d

Religion isn't strong though. Folk do things in the name of religion but don't practice that religion. They take from that religion to suit their needs because that is all they know to give them purpose and gain support.

Maybe strong was the wrong word to use.

What i meant was i find it hard to understand after all the scientific advances that so many people are still convinced that some boy created the earth and shit.

southside1874

Maybe strong was the wrong word to use.

What i meant was i find it hard to understand after all the scientific advances that so many people are still convinced that some boy created the earth and shit.

Thats what they are comfortable with and thats what they know. I find it difficult to understand why folk would be Hibs fans. Yet in the full light of their greatest humiliation they dig deep and find solace in the fact that Hearts may become bankrupt.

Religious people are best summed up like this:

People who would believe in absolutely anything, no matter how far fetched, impossible or ridiculous with absolutely no proof that it's right.

Buffalo Bill

Christianity for me, is something that one should opt into, rather than opt out of, imo; especially with regard to the teaching of religion in schools. The teaching of religion is fine, but I think it should be entirely objective.

I don't believe that Christianity should be the 'default' position for our society in this day and age.

I don't consider myself to be an aggressive Atheist, just a fair one.

I automatically have very little respect for people who believe in God.

It's form of mental illness though, so I do feel a little guilty I guess.

Since the OP brought him up, here's by far the best hitchens tribute.

Buffalo Bill

Incidentally, the Dawkins and Hitchens movements are nothing compared to a couple of thousand years of aggressive theism.

Christianity for me, is something that one should opt into, rather than opt out of, imo; especially with regard to the teaching of religion in schools. The teaching of religion is fine, but I think it should be entirely objective.

I don't believe that Christianity should be the 'default' position for our society in this day and age.

I don't consider myself to be an aggressive Atheist, just a fair one.

100% agree with this. Thank God for some common sense!!!

BoJack Horseman

I also enjoy a spot of religious debate. Not because I have interest in the religions themselves, but more I'm interested in why they believe what they do, why they believe it's important and why they believe it has any bearing on their life. The particulars behind the religion themselves is barely semantics. It's the ones who believe it that interest me.

As BB as said, a decade of extreme atheism is nothing compared to millennia of theist persecution. That being said, I also don't associate with the atheists. My favourite quote from my man of the hour, Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson.

don-t-expect-to-see-neil-degrasse-tyson-browsing-r-atheism-any-time-soon--1339203609-7867.jpg

Personally I dont believe in god, infact I think the whole idea is stupid, virgin mary man in the sky nonsense. what I do believe tho is the belief in god helps alot of people through eveyday life. so each to there own as long as they keep it that way. really hate those god's salesman tho with there damned to hell p!sh for not being a believer and call this number to be saved/healed chat

I also enjoy a spot of religious debate. Not because I have interest in the religions themselves, but more I'm interested in why they believe what they do, why they believe it's important and why they believe it has any bearing on their life. The particulars behind the religion themselves is barely semantics. It's the ones who believe it that interest me.

As BB as said, a decade of extreme atheism is nothing compared to millennia of theist persecution. That being said, I also don't associate with the atheists. My favourite quote from my man of the hour, Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson.

don-t-expect-to-see-neil-degrasse-tyson-browsing-r-atheism-any-time-soon--1339203609-7867.jpg

Not so sure if his analogy is a good one.

Atheist as opposed to a theist or even a polytheist or monotheist. It's simply the way the word is derived.

Blame the Greeks, I suppose. Had they invented golf, you never know, there may have been an opposite to a golfer!

I'd also add that, and I'm merely guessing here, atheists have and will meet to strategise simply as a reaction to theistic thinking permeating nearly all aspects of Western life. The West, btw, who seem to be good at knocking theocracies if they are Muslamic, but rather reticent at looking in the mirror.

Buffalo Bill

Neil deGrasse Tyson is a bit like a Hibs fan going on about 'two World Cup stars'.

He feeds of the crumbs.

Archived