Sunday Herald apology (NHC)

MacDonald Jardine

Would there have been an apology had we been on the receiving end?

Don't think so.

We're still waiting on an apology from one of the rags for the 'Romanian ***** child found in a field' comment.

anybody have a link to the actual article where bead rattling was mentioned

Such is the power of (mod edit) that I am sure it will have been removed from the GH site. :sad:

crazy_jambo_2006

Why apologise? What is wrong with the term, "bead rattling"? But on the other hand, why did the guy write that? What's the sense? Some mascot rattles beads?? Or am I missing something?

The terminology was maybe ill advised but what was said was on the money. If your not "Selick Minded" they don't want you. That is Strapons biggest mistake, in not being a practitioner of the church of Rome.

Ray Winstone
Why apologise? What is wrong with the term, "bead rattling"? But on the other hand, why did the guy write that? What's the sense? Some mascot rattles beads?? Or am I missing something?

Its a reference to Rosery (sp) beads.

LOL So the sports Sports Editor has sacked the guy who wrote it, issued a grovelling apology, and "begun an investigation" into why HE failed in his job as Sports Editor to prevent it! Why do I suspect that he won?t fall on his sword like he really ought to?

What does the term "Bead Rattling" actually mean?

Is it highly offensive as I have no cluw to what it means

Ryan Gosling

Catholics use rosary beads for prayers.

ask the family;)

ask the family;)

Erm... im a Catholic so should I be knowing the term too? I dont find that amusing thanks.

SHP thanks for clearing that up for me, i didnt have a scobby what it meant:)

Thypical rhesponse fhrom Ahcey.

:laugh:

Ach, I can't be bothered.

The paper were right to sack the guy. Disgraceful comment.

Boab Mugabe

After all the anti-Lithuanian xenophobia and an article on Copil when he first arrived portraying him as a traveller, we didn't get anything near an apology. In fact, the abuse got even more fervent, coming to a head after Lithuania played Scotland at Hampden.

Thellik have the Scottish media, the SFA and UEFA in their back pocket. Unbelievable.

Ryan Gosling
Ach, I can't be bothered.

The paper were right to sack the guy. Disgraceful comment.

Indeed. Idiotic.

The Laptop Loyal would have been up in arms if they'd mentioned a flute playing sash wearing Broxi Bear.

After all the anti-Lithuanian xenophobia and an article on Copil when he first arrived portraying him as a traveller, we didn't get anything near an apology. In fact, the abuse got even more fervent, coming to a head after Lithuania played Scotland at Hampden.

Thellik have the Scottish media, the SFA and UEFA in their back pocket. Unbelievable.

Just because Hearts didn't get an apology doesn't mean that Celtic shouldn't get one.

The paranoia is embarrassing.

Ray Winstone

Their comments on Lithuanians and Copil may have been a little more subtle than using the phrase "Bead rattling"

Its all a great conspiracy against Hearts to put us out of buisness and shame us! (insert winking smiley face here - cause windows explorer wont let me)

davemclaren
stupid thing to say.

hardly worth sacking the lad over however.

Was he sacked? Was he not a freelance whose articles will no longer be 'considered'?

Was he sacked? Was he not a freelance whose articles will no longer be 'considered'?

the difference being? he previously wrote articles for the paper he was payed for. He no longer will be and will have to (try and) go elsewhere.

davemclaren
the difference being? he previously wrote articles for the paper he was payed for. He no longer will be and will have to (try and) go elsewhere.

The difference being that he will likely have other sources of income from other journals, papers etc... Whilst clearly not pleasant, losing your only job is a bit more serious. :)

The difference being that he will likely have other sources of income from other journals, papers etc... Whilst clearly not pleasant, losing your only job is a bit more serious. :)

Wouldn't be suprised if he gets dropped from other papers as well. If the celtic mob want to push it.

Denny Crane
Editor should be sacked if anyone should be. Editor surely must proofread stuff

Did said editor proof read your post?;)

Denny Crane
LOL So the sports Sports Editor has sacked the guy who wrote it, issued a grovelling apology, and "begun an investigation" into why HE failed in his job as Sports Editor to prevent it! Why do I suspect that he won?t fall on his sword like he really ought to?

Sports supplements such as the Sunday Herald's are put together under tight deadlines on a Saturday evening. Most Sunday papers have in the region of six editions (for example let's say, first edition for late Sat night in Glasgow, 2nd for England, 3rd for Aberdeen and Highlands, 4th for Ayrshire, Galloway & N. Ireland, 5th for Edinburgh and Borders and finally, Glasgow again for Sunday morning - I've plucked this schedule from various other papers I come into contact with so this may not necessarily be the SH's) to put out in a short space of time for each of them. Therefore a lot of responsibility is placed on his/her team of subs to check and raise anything (if at all) that could be contentious. The editor is more than likely concentrating on the lay-out of the sports pages for the subs to fill with text. It looks, from the surface, as if a sub has either missed this or let it go - hence Mr Penman is correct to investigate this. It was a sub's call to inform him that something may be wrong with that article.

Their comments on Lithuanians and Copil may have been a little more subtle than using the phrase "Bead rattling"

Its all a great conspiracy against Hearts to put us out of buisness and shame us! (insert winking smiley face here - cause windows explorer wont let me)

not strictly true to be honest

the press were far less than subtle!

when copil was being linked with the smellies, he was being hailed as a wonderkid, talented beyond his years etc, the minute he signed to us, and don't quote me cos i can't recall which rag, but either the sun or the record referred to him as (and this IS a quote) a "sickly, romanian, gyp---sy child)

had to space that out, cos the G word comes up in the sweary filter

The article while one could argue insensitive was spot on.

The majority of sellic fans revel in their Irish Catholic heritage. Anyone who thinks otherwise has never been to darkheid.

The majority of sellic fans revel in their Irish Catholic heritage. Anyone who thinks otherwise has never been to darkheid.

Agreed. The sellic family would love a manager who was "sellic minded" instead of strachan. The guys just been stupid enough to say what most folk a think.

Hans von Luck

Well said Flogel98,

I could not agree more, the truth always hurts.

Quite a strange one this, as I actually stopped reading the Sunday Herald as it was too obsessed with Celtic. There's only so many times you can stomach pictures of Scott MacDonald et al celebrating scoring at nine on a Sunday morning!

Besides, how many of these arsewits actually read broadsheet newspapers?! Too many long words an' that, no?

alwaysthereinspirit

We get more and more PC every week. This comment supposedly upset fans who for years have sung songs to commemerate cowardly murdering bar stewards. Amazing.

John Findlay

THe term bead rattlers may not have been the best use of the English language but, the journalist in question was spot on with the tone and message of his article.

The truth hurts and it hurt those who like to consider themselves Celtic minded.

Those that want rid of Strachan as Celtic manager use the footballing reasons they proffer as an excuse. They wont rid of him purely and simply as they do not see him like themselves CELTIC MINDED.

John

Which is fair enough but, just as patriotism doesn't necessitate xenephobia, celebration of one's own heritage is distinct from disdain and contempt for those that don't share it.

Examining what extent the level of patience that Celtic's fans have for Strachan is reduced by him not being 'one of them' could have made an interesting and challenging article.

In this piece however the issue isn't actually mentioned directly until the very last paragraph and even then it's thrown in as a flippant aside and that's the problem.

If the write was going to introduce the sensitive issue of sectarianism he should have had the courage to deal with it properly as it stands in that context the line in question could have been appropriate in isolation however it looks like a gratuitous sectarian insult.

Professor.Arturo
THe term bead rattlers may not have been the best use of the English language but, the journalist in question was spot on with the tone and message of his article.

The truth hurts and it hurt those who like to consider themselves Celtic minded.

Those that want rid of Strachan as Celtic manager use the footballing reasons they proffer as an excuse. They wont rid of him purely and simply as they do not see him like themselves CELTIC MINDED.

John

Jings, twice in one day I've agreed with you. Correct, the journo was spot on, as for Strachan? I'd have him at Tynie....then again who wants a manager who'll win us the league 2 years in a row and take us to the last 16 of the CL??

They may well revel in it but the majority are likely neither Irish nor ever set foot inside a Church except at weddings.

WOW, Bead Rattling, how offensive!

Instead of talking of the beads they wear around their neck, he could've said a lot, lot worse about Catholicism.

Sports supplements such as the Sunday Herald's are put together under tight deadlines on a Saturday evening. Most Sunday papers have in the region of six editions (for example let's say, first edition for late Sat night in Glasgow, 2nd for England, 3rd for Aberdeen and Highlands, 4th for Ayrshire, Galloway & N. Ireland, 5th for Edinburgh and Borders and finally, Glasgow again for Sunday morning - I've plucked this schedule from various other papers I come into contact with so this may not necessarily be the SH's) to put out in a short space of time for each of them. Therefore a lot of responsibility is placed on his/her team of subs to check and raise anything (if at all) that could be contentious. The editor is more than likely concentrating on the lay-out of the sports pages for the subs to fill with text. It looks, from the surface, as if a sub has either missed this or let it go - hence Mr Penman is correct to investigate this. It was a sub's call to inform him that something may be wrong with that article.

Ignoring the fact that the article in question was a column and thus will have appeared in all regions, would the editor not be culpable for the actions or omissions of his team of sub-editors since he is their boss and presumably sets the rules for what is acceptable and what is not for the principal purpose of their roles - ie to proofread,edit. Call it a pyramid system if you will - All Hearts fans are familiar with these!:P He is still responsible.

Can I just ask;

Why do catholics use beads? Where does it all come from?

Genuine question.

WOW, Bead Rattling, how offensive!

Instead of talking of the beads they wear around their neck, he could've said a lot, lot worse about Catholicism.

What could he have said that was a lot lot worse about Catholicism?

Denny Crane
Ignoring the fact that the article in question was a column and thus will have appeared in all regions, would the editor not be culpable for the actions or omissions of his team of sub-editors since he is their boss and presumably sets the rules for what is acceptable and what is not for the principal purpose of their roles - ie to proofread,edit. Call it a pyramid system if you will - All Hearts fans are familiar with these!:P He is still responsible.

To a degree yes but he is also responsible for investigating mistakes that slip through the net. The subs are effectively an editor's back four (if you will). A varying degree is delegation is usually passed on (given the hectic nature of a newspaper office on a Saturday - and the tight deadlines placed on it, delegating certain responsibilites is necessary: ask SoS for a work experience shift if you wish to get a grasp as to what goes on). Should one of the subs drop him in it, then the editor is within his right to take whatever course of action he deems necessary.

The editor will no doubt have been pulled up by his superior but will have been delegated the role by said person of investigating on who slipped up.

Can I just ask;

Why do catholics use beads? Where does it all come from?

Genuine question.

To keep count of the number of times you've repeated a prayer or mantra

They're not actually unique to Catholicism or indeed to Christianity

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prayer_beads

But repeated mutterings in Latin were never going to sit well with the Presbyterian distrust of elaborate ritual.

Hopefully Colinmaroon will be along later to expound on this more fully

Archived