Walter Kidd Vs Robbie Neilson

jambo1975

Both loyal servents to our club, both not the best in terms of skill. Who would you rather have.

Discuss ;)

Charlie-Brown

Walter Kidd was a better player than Robbie Neilson - he also intimidated certain opponents even if they were some of the best wingers in Scotland at the time - Davie Cooper hated playing against him & WK also got Mark Walters sent off in consecutive games at Tynecastle as a result of frustration & fouling becuase he couldn't get the better of bonnie walter - as John Mitchell says - No contest!!

modern rules make a valid comparison imposable i suspect that zico would have struggled not being able to poleaxe player the way you used to but you never know ???;););)

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Robbie couldnae lace Wattie's boots!

Walter Kidd was a lot of good players worst nightmare, and as NMH rightly says Davie Cooper could never play against him, Walter had him in his back pocket most of the time

Neilson, we won something with him in the teal, Kidd was one of the main reasons we won nothing with that team, a terrible slow carthorse of a player

Charlie-Brown
I can't believe anyone even asked that question. Pah.

I know WK - it really is a travesty - I'd like to see 'the tackle' try and tackle Wattie in his prime! ;)

Agreed.

Never the biggest fan of Kidd I am afraid, but to compare Robbie Neilson with a competent right back is always a foregone conclusion.

Drylaw Hearts
Agreed.

Never the biggest fan of Kidd I am afraid, but to compare Robbie Neilson with a competent right back is always a foregone conclusion.

Agreed.

Toxteth O'Grady
Neilson or Kidd ?

Its like asking if you want a punch in the puss or a kick in the baws.

Correct

Surely anyone saying 'Kidd by a mile' has a short memory?! As someone said here, he was one of the main reasons why that side of the mid '80s failed to win anything. Always the weak link along with Whittaker and occasionally Black in my view.

The comparison with Robbie is a pretty good one though - I'd say they were very similar in many respects and quite difficult to split actually.

Do agree that Kidd managed to intimidate opponents through his physical presence though, and that might just give him the edge here.

At least Kidd could play the ball into the forwards without having to tee it up like a golf shot.

Neilson is a terrible passer of a ball.

Miller Jambo 60

KIDD like me a hard chopper that made left wingers shat their pants.

Father Tiresias

Don't you mean, big chopper!!

Never seen Kidd play, but one thing I will say is Thomson isnt ready to take Robbie's place at right back. He had an ok game yesterday but isnt an improvement on Neilson.

Never seen Kidd play, but one thing I will say is Thomson isnt ready to take Robbie's place at right back. He had an ok game yesterday but isnt an improvement on Neilson.

I personally would put a parking cone in in front of Robbie. So young Thomson is a shoe-in if the alternative is Neilson in my opinion. Also thought the young guy done well especially in the second half when he had settled down a bit.

Not to labour the point..........but I personally think that the fact that Neilson is getting a 'testimonial' from the third biggest club in Scotland a very sad indictment of the game in this country in general and HMFC in particular!!!

With regards the question of who is/was the better right back; Robbie or Wattie, the answer has got to be Walter kidd and I can't believe there's actually a debate.

Still everybody's intitled to an opinion!!!

I was young at the time so excuse the memories I have of Zico. He was a good player for most of his career but towards the end which is what most people remember he was a bit of a cart horse. However my main memories of him were him being solid and taking no prisoners and then having a good distribution of the ball.

Robbie has been a cart horse for most of his career with some exceptions, the main one being his tackle in the cup final. He fails to give his team mates the confidence that he will deal with the situation effectively and is regularly caught out of position.

On JT I really think we can do no worse than give him a run in the team til the end of the season to see if he will start to improve given the opportunity, look at Hutton how many people would have thought he would have turned out to be the player he has, considering that Rangers wanted Robbie a few seasons ago to replace him.

haha...

Has to be kidd, Clum's gutted he never played when Kidd was around, rumour is he's been ganting on a hard chopper for weeks.

Ron Burgundy
Zico by a country mile.

ps is a country mile longer than a city mile?

Dunno but don't eat country pancakes. They taste awful.

Kidd got sent off and cost us a Scottish Cup. Robbie made "the Tackle" that played a huge part in winning us a Scottish Cup. I reckon this is pretty conclusive...

Kidd got sent off and cost us a Scottish Cup. Robbie made "the Tackle" that played a huge part in winning us a Scottish Cup. I reckon this is pretty conclusive...

So you decide two guys careers on two specific split second decisions. Two guys incidentally who played for numerous seasons.

Wattie used to regularly mark some very good players out of games. Not to mention put one 'allegedly' fantastic winger (Davie Cooper) in his pocket, time after time after time. Do me a favour and name me one player that Robbie has done the same to? Anybody.......home or away........honest I mean anybody....well OK; lets include training as well? what do you mean.......nobody?

Archived